Is Global Entry worthwhile?

Old Jun 19, 2012, 9:08 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL, UA
Originally Posted by extremeromance
Thats the airport I am flying into, you think I would have any luck just walking up to where the customs office is and ask them to schedule a appointment, doesn't seem like I can schedule appointments online at Sanford airport either
You can schedule online for both. I just did MCO last week and my family did this week. SFB was also an option, just had limited availability.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 12:33 pm
swy

Programs: Greyhound Vermillion Mithril
I am wondering if someone can help me understand the difference between TSA Pre and CLEAR? I know that...

* they are operated by different organizations (TSA and Alclear)
* they work in different airports
* TSA Pre is probabilistic but CLEAR always works

are they otherwise the same? Thanks!
Old Jun 23, 2012, 2:58 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by swy
I am wondering if someone can help me understand the difference between TSA Pre and CLEAR? I know that...

* they are operated by different organizations (TSA and Alclear)
* they work in different airports
* TSA Pre is probabilistic but CLEAR always works

are they otherwise the same? Thanks!
CLEAR costs $179 annually.
PreCheck is free, but requires elite status or a TT membership.

The major difference; however, is that CLEAR is merely a type of expedited access to security, much like an elite line. Once at the checkpoint, CLEAR passengers undergo an inspection identical to regular passengers, including AIT and the removal of liquids, shoes, and laptops. PreCheck, in contrast, provides an accelerated screening experience. Shoes stay on, laptops and liquids stay in, and only WTMDs are used. In some cases, PreCheck even offers a dedicated access line, so those who are eligible have reduced wait-times. The one major benefit of CLEAR, as you identified, is its predictability. For this reason, if you are pressed for time, CLEAR is your best bet. Otherwise, you should try for PreCheck, which offers the possibility of a more pleasant screening experience.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 3:14 pm
swy

Programs: Greyhound Vermillion Mithril
Thanks for the detailed info!!

Originally Posted by 14940674
CLEAR costs $179 annually.
Right... I have PreCheck already; and just got a 6-month free trial of CLEAR through SPG...

For this reason, if you are pressed for time, CLEAR is your best bet. Otherwise, you should try for PreCheck, which offers the possibility of a more pleasant screening experience.
so you have to choose one even if you have both... since I already have PreCheck, I probably won't renew CLEAR when the free trial expires.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 4:09 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
I don't think there is an "OR" in this sentence. You have to be part of a CBP TT program AND an elite on an airline that is participating AND be going thru one of the few airports that are currently participating for your airline.

Edit:
You may not need to be an elite in the FFP, but I seem to remember the airlines were only advertising this to their elites initially.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by jasonvr
I don't think there is an "OR" in this sentence. You have to be part of a CBP TT program AND an elite on an airline that is participating AND be going thru one of the few airports that are currently participating for your airline.

Edit:
You may not need to be an elite in the FFP, but I seem to remember the airlines were only advertising this to their elites initially.
The airlines were more vocal about the benefit to their elites, but, from day one of PreCheck, non-elites with TT memberships could use PreCheck.
Old Jun 24, 2012, 12:25 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, Avis First

Edit:
"Or" is the correct word. Either airline status or TT membership is required; not both. But there is nothing stopping someone from having both.
Old Jun 24, 2012, 12:52 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Janus
"Or" is the correct word. Either airline status or TT membership is required; not both. But there is nothing stopping someone from having both.
Wow! I was totally mistaken. I thought TT was a prerequisite. Although it leaves me wondering how the heck TSA checks out someone who opts in as an elite FF only???

http://www.tsa.gov/what_we_do/participation.shtm
Old Jun 24, 2012, 2:10 pm

Programs: Various
Originally Posted by crazypalooza
oh! that's what i was afraid of! that takes away some of the benefit if we have to see an agent every time!
Next time you are coming into the US, and get to skip to the front of a 200+ person line, I think that you will feel that the benefit is still *totally* there! (That's how we feel, anyway....)
Old Jun 24, 2012, 2:11 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, Avis First
Wow! I was totally mistaken. I thought TT was a prerequisite. Although it leaves me wondering how the heck TSA checks out someone who opts in as an elite FF only???

http://www.tsa.gov/what_we_do/participation.shtm
IMHO, I think it is based on total miles flown and years within an airline program. I.e. if (for example) the TSA requirement was 5 year FF program membership, plus 200,000 BIS miles; then (hopefully) during that time intel based security measures would have flagged the "bad-guy" as a threat.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 1:48 pm

GE question: I haven't read every post, but I didn't realize you had to show your passport sticker along with the printed form at Customs. The Customs guy at ORD was testy with me because I'd put my passport away, he wanted to see the sticker.

Since when do you need a passport at Customs? How did I get the printed form if I don't have GE?
Old Jun 25, 2012, 2:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K 3 Million/ex-many year GS, AA PLT/2 Mil, AS MVPG, HH Dia, Starwood Life Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
GE question: I haven't read every post, but I didn't realize you had to show your passport sticker along with the printed form at Customs. The Customs guy at ORD was testy with me because I'd put my passport away, he wanted to see the sticker.

Since when do you need a passport at Customs? How did I get the printed form if I don't have GE?
This seems to be an ORD special. There is no reason to have to show the sticker and you don't at other airports I have entered through (though I have also had this drill at ORD). Showing the sticker proves nothing beyond what the receipt does - and in fact you could have registered a new passport and not yet gotten to a place where you could grab a new sticker for the new one. Why ORD is making up their own rules on this is beyond me - but then they are cousins of the TSA so who knows . . .
Old Jun 25, 2012, 3:44 pm

While the ORD policy is excessive, it is always a good idea to present the passport to the customs officer along with the GE slip. This allows the officer to quickly confirm your identity and authenticate the slip.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 5:16 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 4mm / Free Agent / GE / Secret Handshake

And How does the CBP officer know the GE receipt belongs to you and not to someone else?

Why is it that people always complain for having to show a passport with the GE receipt? What is the big deal?

You always have the option to engage in an argument with the CBP Officer. Guess who is going to win?

--J
Old Jun 25, 2012, 9:28 pm

Programs: NEXUS; alas, no status anymore.
While the ORD policy is excessive, it is always a good idea to present the passport to the customs officer along with the GE slip. This allows the officer to quickly confirm your identity and authenticate the slip.
NEXUS at YOW refused to give me a CBP sticker for my wife's passport, even though YYZ gave me one three weeks before. The US Customs agent at YOW said it wasn't necessary, even when I explained that ORD says it is.

Not sure when she'll next be at a NEXUS office, but we'll figure something out. We will probably be in DEN in December but their GE office isn't open weekends.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.