Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is Global Entry worthwhile?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2009, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Used it first time at ORD off a late afternoon LHR inbound. Lines were long everywhere, including several a quite long Crew line. Got to the kiosk and 20 seconds later I'm on my way.
A pilot I'd been talking to on the hike from M19 to CBP said he knows of several crew who are considering it to escape from the long crew lines that can sometimes form.

A great system, IMO.
Dave
Old Jul 16, 2009, 2:33 pm

Programs: DL Silver (0.239 MM), DL SkyClub Life, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by bseller
Used it first time at ORD off a late afternoon LHR inbound. Lines were long everywhere, including several a quite long Crew line. Got to the kiosk and 20 seconds later I'm on my way.
A pilot I'd been talking to on the hike from M19 to CBP said he knows of several crew who are considering it to escape from the long crew lines that can sometimes form.

A great system, IMO.
Dave
Had the same thing happen at ATL yesterday. Regular lane was maybe a 30-40 minute wait and the crew line was stacked 20 deep. Had alot of crew glancing over at the GE kiosks as three of us jetted on through. ^
Old Jul 17, 2009, 2:38 pm

Programs: UA
July 10 - I applied Global Entry Program.
July 11 - I received an email advising was Conditional Approved and should schedule an interview
July 17 - I drove to MIA (about 3 ˝ hour drive from SRQ) for interview.

I was 20 minutes early for my scheduled appointment, thought “what the hey”, went in and at the worst they may just tell me to wait till my appointment time. No, the 2 agents were accommodating and started the process. Only 1 agent did the interview the other helped as needed.

It took all of 20 minutes had sticker on passport, fingerprinted, answered questions and was instructed on machine use.

The interview as previously discussed here, a few questions to verify I was the person that filled out the application and a few casual (on the surface appearing) questions about my work/travel habits.

The gentleman doing the interview and the Agent at the other desk were both very polite and business like.

As echoed here:
If the machine is not working you may go to nearest desk and wait in front of line till called.
If they do not have a machine you must go thru line like everyone else.
You do not need to fill out the Customs Declaration but if the machine is not working it may be helpful to have 1 filled out and in your pocket!
Old Jul 18, 2009, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by SRQ~Bear
If they do not have a machine you must go thru line like everyone else.
Since DFW has had the machines for several months now sitting there unactivated, I wonder if that allows for a 'front of line' cut! j/k But I do wish they'd plug them in already!
Old Jul 18, 2009, 9:50 am
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
Originally Posted by HeadInTheClouds
Since DFW has had the machines for several months now sitting there unactivated, I wonder if that allows for a 'front of line' cut! j/k But I do wish they'd plug them in already!
Well, it is good news that they actually have them and it wasn't just a rumour that they would get them. A most encouraging sign that perhaps they will be in use sooner or later.

I would say yes, that qualifies for using the crew line. I think the key word for using the crew line isn't "broken machine" but "non-functioning machine." Try it and let us know how it goes!
Old Jul 18, 2009, 6:01 pm

Global Entry is supposed to expand by the end of the year and there as some noted, the kiosks are already deployed. Here is the list:

CBP plans to launch the program at 13 additional airports by the end of 2009 including:

• Newark Liberty International Airport
• Honolulu International Airport
• San Francisco International Airport
• Orlando Int’l Airport
• Dallas/Ft Worth International Airport
• Detroit Metro Wayne County Airport
• Boston - Logan Int’l Airport
• Las Vegas - McCarran Int’l Airport
• Sanford-Orlando Int’l Airport
• Seattle-Tacoma Int’l Airport-SEATAC
• Philadelphia International Airport
• San Juan-Luis Munos Marin Int’l Airport
• Ft. Lauderdale Hollywood Int’l Airport
Old Jul 19, 2009, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Wirelessly posted (Apple iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

Excellent news, especially about DFW! ^
Old Jul 20, 2009, 3:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Honors Diamond, Starwood Platinum Preferred
I have had Global Entry for 2 months but no chance to try it. Came back yesterday through IAH and the one machine had a sign that it was unavailable. ARGH. The agent told me to go ahead and try it anyway. Worked like a charm. When I got my card for customs, I approached the exit and the lines were at least 50 feet long and moving slowly. A CO agent spotted my card and said, "Global Entry?" I said yes and she took me to the front of the line on the left side and I was through in 2 minutes. WOW! I am impressed.
Old Jul 20, 2009, 4:18 pm

Programs: AA PLT/5MM; AS MVP GLD 75K; DL DM; EK SLV; HHonors DIAM; Marriott GLD
Originally Posted by ll22949
Came back yesterday through IAH and the one machine had a sign that it was unavailable.
I thought they had two kiosks at IAH?
Old Jul 20, 2009, 5:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Honors Diamond, Starwood Platinum Preferred
Originally Posted by HKG_Flyer1
I thought they had two kiosks at IAH?
I only saw one, maybe there was more than one. It had a huge sign on the floor in front of it saying it was temporarily out of service. Are the two located together?
Old Jul 20, 2009, 7:10 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Originally Posted by ll22949
I only saw one, maybe there was more than one. It had a huge sign on the floor in front of it saying it was temporarily out of service. Are the two located together?
They were right next to each other on the far east end (right side facing US citizen lines). They are the last two lines and are seperate from the main lines. This is how it has been on each of my IAH uses over the last 7-8 months, though my last was in late May so it could have changed.

Ciao,
FH
Old Jul 20, 2009, 10:09 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat
I flew through SFO July 1 and the Global Entry machine was there, just not activated. Had to go through the normal people line. Can't wait till that one gets activated - I've been connecting through LAX just to take advantage of the GE benefit!
Old Jul 21, 2009, 3:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, HHonors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite
I went through SFO yesterday and the G.E. machines are still not activated. I asked one of the CBP agents and he said nobody has any idea when the machines will go online.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 12:42 am

Will be entering USA via YYZ. Have GE; not NEXUS. Does GE provide any help in this instance?

Thanks!
Old Jul 28, 2009, 12:58 am

Programs: UA 2K, Marriott Platinium, Global Entry, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by #10
Will be entering USA via YYZ. Have GE; not NEXUS. Does GE provide any help in this instance?

Thanks!
I don't think there were be any help in YYZ. They don't even have machines at most of the us based airports and YYZ is not on the list for new airports. At least you get to pre-clear customs in YYZ.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.