FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Trusted Travelers (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trusted-travelers-732/)
-   -   Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trusted-travelers/760859-archived-nexus-information-thread.html)

ChopSuey Nov 25, 2007 5:49 pm

Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread

I noticed on this web site that a lot of people have questions regarding the NEXUS program. I think it would be a good idea to start a thread to answer people's questions regarding the NEXUS program and to supply information on how the NEXUS program works.

Here are some links to information on the NEXUS program (updated Aug 18th, 2009):

NEXUS Information - Canada Border Service Agency
NEXUS Information - U.S. Customs and Border Protection
NEXUS Information Guide (PDF Version)
NEXUS Application (PDF Version)
NEXUS Online Application (GOES)

The cost of applying for NEXUS is currently $50. There are over 250,000 people who are currently using NEXUS. NEXUS members must renew their application every five years.

PreferBulkhead Nov 25, 2007 5:51 pm

It is only 50.00 CDN after Dec 01 ... not retroactive ... so make sure you either do it after Dec 01 or use the GOES site (see link above) and be charged 50 USD or you will be charged 80 CDN (up to Dec 01 2007).

Once you get your Nexus it is contingent upon you to update with the Nexus folks any changes to your documents - for instance you get a new driver's license (or renew it) or renew your passport, you must update the information with Nexus. In fact if I am not mistaken, it is now setup so that your Nexus is terminated just before your passport expires, so it is wise to renew your passport well in advance and pass that information along.

todd-r Nov 25, 2007 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by PreferBulkhead (Post 8787288)
In fact if I am not mistaken, it is now setup so that your Nexus is terminated just before your passport expires...

Actually, the expiry date is 5 years from your next birthday.
For example, I got my card in Sept 2007 but my BDay is Feb 1. My Nexus expiry date is Feb 1, 2013.

As previously stated, it is the travellers responsibility to update any information changes. Any document related changes must be updated in person. But for address or credit card, you can fax in the form (provided at interview for such purpose) to the local Nexus office.

PreferBulkhead Nov 25, 2007 7:11 pm

Yes - on the expiry date. However I was told by US Immigration that the system is setup to cancel your Nexus the day before your passport expires if you have not provided them with a new passport expiry date. Nothing to do with how long your Nexus can be active ... it can still be active for the 5 years ... but if you do not provide them with updated passport information (if your passport expires before your Nexus does), they stated emphatically that your Nexus would be automatically canceled.

My Nexus is valid until 2013, however my passport expires in 2009. If I do not provide them a new passport expiry date prior to my passport expiring, it does not matter that my Nexus is valid until 2013, it would be canceled.

They did not do this automatically with CANPASS but appear to be doing it automatically with Nexus.

pilotboy1985YYC Nov 25, 2007 7:37 pm

So can someone explain this in English?....

Does this mean I won't have to wait in the line ups for US customs when I fly to america? Do I still have to talk to the Customs Agents? Paying $50 is worth skipping the unpleasent conversation between me and the border agents.

lcohen999 Nov 25, 2007 7:42 pm

You apply, get approved and have a 3% chance of talking to a human when crossing the border

That is as simple as it gets

PreferBulkhead Nov 25, 2007 7:47 pm

Of course it all depends on where you cross into the USA ... they have to have the Nexus machines ... the urls above should tell you where all the systems are in place.

According to the Canadian url:

NEXUS is offered at the following airports:

* Vancouver International Airport
* Toronto Pearson International Airport
* Ottawa Macdonald-Cartier International Airport
* Montréal-Pierre Elliott Trudeau International Airport
* Halifax Robert L. Stanfield International Airport
* Calgary International Airport
* Winnipeg James Armstrong Richardson International Airport
* Edmonton International Airport

emcampbe Nov 25, 2007 11:51 pm

Originally Posted by lcohen999 (Post 8787624)
You apply, get approved and have a 3% chance of talking to a human when crossing the border

That is as simple as it gets

Just curious about where the 3% number comes from - an official source, or just a guesstimate. And any noticeable difference in the human interaction rates when coming into Canada vs. the US? And for airport use vs. land border use?

I've had Nexus since May, and a CANPASS for a year or two prior, and used it solely for flying, however, haven't talked to a human except for the one time or two I had to declare items.

Actually, the expiry date is 5 years from your next birthday.
This is certainly not the case for me. My birthday is in August, but my Nexus expires in May 2012. Perhaps this is a more recent thing?

However I was told by US Immigration that the system is setup to cancel your Nexus the day before your passport expires if you have not provided them with a new passport expiry date.
This makes sense. However, for those of us who travel enough to warrant using the NEXUS program, I would assume, or at least hope, we are all aware that passports essentially become invalid when there is less than 6 months left on them, and so renew them (or in Canada, apply for a brand new one) prior to one day before expiry.

PreferBulkhead Nov 26, 2007 4:11 am

Originally Posted by emcampbe (Post 8788527)
This is certainly not the case for me. My birthday is in August, but my Nexus expires in May 2012. Perhaps this is a more recent thing?

This could very well be more recent. Just received my Nexus 1 month ago and it is indeed 5 years from my "next" birthday.

lcohen999 Nov 26, 2007 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by emcampbe (Post 8788527)
Just curious about where the 3% number comes from - an official source, or just a guesstimate. And any noticeable difference in the human interaction rates when coming into Canada vs. the US? And for airport use vs. land border use?

I've had Nexus since May, and a CANPASS for a year or two prior, and used it solely for flying, however, haven't talked to a human except for the one time or two I had to declare items.

This makes sense. However, for those of us who travel enough to warrant using the NEXUS program, I would assume, or at least hope, we are all aware that passports essentially become invalid when there is less than 6 months left on them, and so renew them (or in Canada, apply for a brand new one) prior to one day before expiry.

Yes, I don't remember where on Nexus it is posted, but that is the official random number. When you go for your interview they go over all that with you.

So it is "official"

ALW Dec 8, 2007 9:04 pm

Can anyone clarify the deal of carrying someone's else's possession through the Nexus lane?

I remember a story about 4 golfers driving across, 2 had Nexus and the other 2 got out and walked, but left their clubs in the car. The others had their Nexus privileges revoked for that.

Was it because they had someone else's clubs in the car? Or because they didn't declare them? All I could find was

If you are a Canadian or U.S. resident entering the United States and you are importing goods for your own personal use, you may use the NEXUS lane and make an oral declaration to the Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officer.
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/prog/nexu...eng.html#usdec

I couldn't find anything that said, "if you carry goods for other people, don't use the Nexus lanes" or even what to do in the regular lanes if carrying things for someone else (which I'm sure is technically different than your own stuff). Shouldn't be a problem for a pair of shoes but I don't know if I'd want to risk a suitcase. Say a pair of women's shoes, or a t-shirt obviously not your size, could you say, "I'm taking that to my wife in the US" or would you have to stay out of the Nexus lanes?

They claim to have a zero tolerance policy but don't make info easily available (like no US potatoes coming into Canada).

=aw

indogulf Dec 8, 2007 9:14 pm

when you use your nexus card to enter the US or Canada you are supposed to be carrying ONLY items for your OWN use. This is clearly stated in their rules and emphasized by the agents when you are interviewed.

This means that if you choose to carry items for others (and taking a gift for your wife or friends is considered personal use since YOU paid for the item and it belongs to you until it is gifted) then you must use a regular lane. This extends to commercial goods as well. The agent went as far as telling me that if I planned on having even brochures or business cards in bulk I should not use the NEXUS lane.

Of course, all this matters only if you get stopped. In my experience, I have only been sent to secondary customs screening by US Customs once and by Canada twice in 9 months of commuting every three days between the US and Canada.

If you do get caught and you are using the NEXUS card you will get it revoked and be subject to the maximum fines. Zero tolerance is the stated policy.

ALW Dec 8, 2007 9:20 pm

Thanks for the confirmation, that was my understanding. I thought the same about gifts, since my "personal use" will be to give them. :)

Technically of course one needs to keep the car free of foreign materials, e.g. no lipstick in the glove box if only men are present but I would hope (naively) that even at secondary something like that would pass.

Best thing is always to have at least one woman and one man in the car at all times when crossing through a Nexus lane! :)

=aw

Express Dec 8, 2007 10:17 pm

The last time I was in the Nexus office in Blaine picking up a new declaration book I was told that you can no longer drop non Nexus card holders off and have them walk through while you use the Nexus lane. If you are caught doing this you will lose your pass on the spot.:(
R.

Originally Posted by ALW (Post 8862637)
Can anyone clarify the deal of carrying someone's else's possession through the Nexus lane?

I remember a story about 4 golfers driving across, 2 had Nexus and the other 2 got out and walked, but left their clubs in the car. The others had their Nexus privileges revoked for that.

Was it because they had someone else's clubs in the car? Or because they didn't declare them? All I could find was

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/prog/nexu...eng.html#usdec

I couldn't find anything that said, "if you carry goods for other people, don't use the Nexus lanes" or even what to do in the regular lanes if carrying things for someone else (which I'm sure is technically different than your own stuff). Shouldn't be a problem for a pair of shoes but I don't know if I'd want to risk a suitcase. Say a pair of women's shoes, or a t-shirt obviously not your size, could you say, "I'm taking that to my wife in the US" or would you have to stay out of the Nexus lanes?

They claim to have a zero tolerance policy but don't make info easily available (like no US potatoes coming into Canada).

=aw

IC Expert Dec 8, 2007 10:22 pm

nexus secondary

Over 100 crossing and never a secondary