Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 3, 2013, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Current NEXUS Information messages can be found in the following thread:

The NEXUS Information Thread

Welcome to the Travel Safety/Security Trusted Travelers Forum Nexus Information Wiki! This resource will appear at the top of every page within this thread to help users learn more about this program.

About NEXUS

NEXUS is designed to expedite the border clearance process for low-risk, pre-approved travellers into Canada and the United States.

The Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA) and U.S. Customs & Border Patrol (CBP) are cooperating in this joint venture to simplify border crossing for members while enhancing security.

Program benefits

If you are approved to participate in NEXUS, you will receive a membership identification card to use when entering Canada or the United States at all designated NEXUS air, land and marine ports of entry.

Membership will enable airline passengers to save time by:
  • using automated self-serve kiosks in dedicated areas at designated international airports;
  • using NEXUS/SENTRI lanes at land crossings when/where available. NEXUS lanes entering Canada will likely have a constant red traffic signal. This is to discourage non-NEXUS members from using the lane. Canada-bound NEXUS land crossing operating hours. All occupants must have NEXUS cards when using NEXUS lane entering Canada. At some locations, the NEXUS lane, the inspection booth is not staffed but there should be a call button. When entering US in a NEXUS/SENTRI lane, all occupants must carry either NEXUS, Global Entry, or SENTRI cards (or any combination thereof). Notable exception is Whirlpool Bridge which requires a NEXUS card to open the toll gate on the Canadian side to cross to the US..
  • As of 17 MAY 2017 - NEXUS members no longer need to complete a paper CBSA Declaration Card (Form E311) when using a NEXUS self-serve kiosk at any Canadian airport where NEXUS is available. (Refer to post #10421)
  • using the Trusted Traveller Canadian Air Transport Security Authority (CATSA) Security Line at major and select medium-sized Canadian airports to expedite airport pre boarding security screening. For detailed information, please visit the CATSA Web site.

Join NEXUS

Here are the steps for becoming a member. There is a non-refundable processing fee of CAN$50 or US$50 per applicant for a five-year membership card.

About NEXUS
Eligibility
How to apply
Enrolment process

Key points about the program as found by forum members:
  • NEXUS cardholders must advise of ANY changes to their vital information such as passport numbers/validity, visa status, legal names, primary residence, criminal convictions, and employment if it impacts your eligibility in the program.
  • It's normal to find the first in-person NEXUS interview to be months into the future, but a little patience and regular checks on the TTP website almost always yields an interview date much sooner.
  • Each person who wants to participate in the NEXUS program must fill out a separate application form. There is no fee for applicants under the age of 18.
  • If traveling with non-NEXUS family members NEXUS cardholders are required to use the regular customs lines.
  • There is a zero tolerance policy and membership can be terminated for infractions including not having your NEXUS card on you and using the NEXUS lane and not declaring items on your customs declaration card, though members have reported some leniency being granted for such infractions in the past.
  • Private companies may offer services for submitting your application and charge an additional processing fee but these extra charges are not part of the official NEXUS application fee. Expedited services offered by such companies will not assist in speeding up the application process.

Updating Passport with Canada for NEXUS

As per CBSA website, updates to passport information can be handled on TTP.
Please note that NEXUS members are not required to report to an Enrolment Centre to update or change their passport information with the CBSA.
This is supported by data points in post 11122 and 11132.

Some FT members don't trust instructions provided by CBSA and recommend the following:
Call the Canadian Processing Centre with responsibility for residents of the United States:
  • 800-842-7647 --- Monday to Friday, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm (Eastern Time)

After going through the phone tree to reach a Nexus representative, advise them that you need to update your US passport with Canada.

The representative will give you an email address and instructions to scan your updated passport picture page (include your trusted traveler number on the scan) and then email it to a particular email address. I was advised to put the representative's name in the email message so that he could process the update on the Canadian side. He confirmed that any passport update in TTP does not reach Canada. NOTE: FT members have been able to enter Canada without any issues by updating passport online only.

He specifically requested that only the telephone number be posted (and not the email address).

In case the telephone number doesn't work, here's the webpage where the phone number is posted: Canada Border Services Agency - NEXUS - General Information
Note:

US citizens/residents who have both Global Entry and NEXUS cards and who renew the Global Entry membership whilst their NEXUS card is active, will not be able to renew the NEXUS card until after it expires. The option to do so disappears from the TTP website.
Dear mxzblftspk,

Your NEXUS membership is not set to expire until July 11 2016.

As an approved NEXUS member, you added Global Entry for an additional $100. When you completed your Global Entry application, you received a Global Entry card. When you activated the Global Entry Card, your NEXUS Card was deactivated and the option to renew NEXUS was removed from your account.

If you wish to renew NEXUS, you will have to wait for your NEXUS membership to expire. Once it expires, you will have the option within your TTP online account to renew NEXUS. After you follow all of the steps to become a NEXUS member again, including the completion of an interview at a NEXUS Enrollment Center near the Canadian border, you will receive a new NEXUS card and will have Global Entry benefits at no additional cost.

When your Global Entry account expires 5 years after your application, do not renew it. Global Entry benefits are included with your NEXUS membership.

It is our goal to provide you the best information we have in response to your question. If you follow the information provided in our response, and still need assistance, please reply to this email and we will investigate how we may further assist you.

Thank you again for contacting the CBP INFO Center.

Sincerely,

CBP INFO Center
Print Wikipost

Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2019, 11:30 am

Programs: DL DM 1MM, DL reserve, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by rubesl
We drove from Detroit to Toronto to visit friends AND get the iris scan (stopped at YYZ on the way to their house). The scan took less than five minutes, but be aware, the Nexus office is pre-security so if you fly in and are making a connection you'll have to re-clear security. You don't need an appointment to just get the iris scan.
was there any issue due to the US government shutdown while you were at the YYZ nexus office? Are they open regular hours still for the Canadian side?
Old Jan 7, 2019, 7:17 am

Programs: Delta Kryptonium
Originally Posted by nycflyer75
was there any issue due to the US government shutdown while you were at the YYZ nexus office? Are they open regular hours still for the Canadian side?
We got the iris scan about six years ago, a few months after we first got our Nexus cards, but it was done by a Canadian CBSA agent so I don't think the U.S. government shutdown would affect anything (the office at YYZ is staffed by both CBSA & CBP agents).
Old Jan 7, 2019, 11:30 am

Programs: EY
NEXUS Mobile Enrollment Team Coming to Washington, DC Feb 5-7, 2019

From the Canadian Embassy in the USA's official page, http://connect2canada.com/news/nexus-mobile-enrollment-team-coming-to-washington-dc

Basically, apply by Jan 21, send an email stating you want to go to the special Washington enrollment, and do your Nexus interview without having to go to the Canadian border to do it.

I wish it was during the weekend, or at least extended beyond business hours though. Not really attractive to most 9-5 persons, or families, the way it is set up currently.

January 2, 2019

NEXUS Mobile Enrollment Team Coming to Washington, DC

Tired of waiting in long lines at airports and idling in your car at border crossings? This is an opportunity to make your travel more efficient and less stressful.

Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) and U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) will conduct a mobile NEXUS enrollment session in Washington, DC, from February 5 to 7, 2019.

The NEXUS program allows pre-screened travelers expedited processing when entering the U.S. and Canada. Program members use dedicated processing lanes at designated Canada-U.S. land border ports of entry, NEXUS kiosks when entering Canada by air and Global Entry kiosks when entering the U.S.

NEXUS also affords you the benefits of access to the shorter and faster TSA Pre-Check security checkpoint lines for both domestic and international travel. NEXUS members also receive expedited processing at marine reporting locations.

Why is this session special? You don’t have to visit a NEXUS Enrollment Center at Canada/U.S. land borders or at the Halifax, Montréal, Ottawa, Toronto, Winnipeg, Calgary, Edmonton or Vancouver international airports to complete the process.

ARE YOU ELIGIBLE? U.S. citizens, U.S. lawful permanent residents, Canadian citizens and Canadian lawful permanent residents are eligible for NEXUS membership.

ONLINE APPLICATION: **Must be completed by 21 January, 2019** Once your online application is submitted, please send your name and PASSID to [email protected] who will coordinate an expedited application with CBP. You must send your PASSID to him in order for your application to be expedited.

What is my PASSID? After you complete your application, log back into your Trusted Traveler Programs account and it will be on the top of the main page once you log in. It is your 9 digit Membership / PASSID number. It may take 10 – 20 minutes to populate. It is not your Application Number.

COST: US$50.00 for a five (5) year membership for adults Free for children under the age of 18

INTERVIEW DATE: From February 5 to 7, 2019. Once your application has been approved, you will receive an automated Conditional Approval email. Login to your Trusted Traveler Programs account and you will be able to book your interview by selecting NEXUS Event Washington, DC. It is the applicant’s responsibility to schedule their interview. Interviews can ONLY be scheduled by using the Trusted Traveler Programs website starting 12 December 2018

DOCUMENTS REQUIRED: For the interview, bring proof of citizenship and a second form of identification (i.e. provincial or state issued driver’s license or ID card). If you are a lawful permanent resident, you must also present your permanent resident card. If you would like to be included in Global Entry, a valid passport is required. Minor children 18 years or younger are required to have parental or legal guardianship permission. If only one parent is attending the interview with a minor, you must have written permission from the other parent.

TIME: The mobile enrollment session will run from 8am to 4pm EST. (You will schedule your appointment on the Trusted Traveler Programs website once conditionally approved.

LOCATION: Ronald Reagan Building, Global Entry Office 1300 Pennsylvania Ave NW Washington, DC 20004

Public parking lots, and meter parking, and Federal Triangle Metro station

What is NEXUS?

NEXUS is a bi-national, Canada-United States program for pre-approved, low-risk travellers entering Canada or the United States (U.S.) at designated air, land and marine ports of entry. The program enables its members to enter either country more quickly and easily by using automated self-serve kiosks in the air mode of travel, dedicated lanes in the land mode of travel, and by calling Telephone Reporting Centres (TRCs) prior to arrival in the marine mode of travel.

What are the benefits of using NEXUS?

NEXUS members avoid long line-ups and save time using automated self-serve Nexus kiosks at nine Canadian international airports to enter Canada and Global Entry kiosks when entering the U.S. (NEXUS Air). As an added benefit, when travelling on domestic, U.S.-bound, and select international flights, NEXUS members can be expedited through Canadian Air Transport Security Authority (CATSA) airport security screening lanes located at 16 Canadian airports. Members must present their valid NEXUS card to access the Trusted Traveller CATSA Security Line. NEXUS members who are U.S. citizens, U.S. Lawful Permanent Residents, or Canadian citizens will also receive the benefits of TSA Pre-Check. They can do so by entering their membership number (PASSID) in the “Known Traveler Number” field when booking reservations, or into their frequent flyer profile with the airline. Members also enjoy a quick and simplified entry process using dedicated lanes at 21 designated land border crossings (NEXUS Land). When arriving by boat, members receive expedited processing at designated marine locations by calling a marine telephone reporting centre. (NEXUS Marine)

Join NEXUS today!

NEXUS allows Canadian and U.S. border officers to focus their efforts on unknown and potentially higher-risk travellers and their goods. Apply for a NEXUS card today at Trusted Traveler Programs or visit the Trusted Traveler Programs section of the CBP website at www.CBP.gov or the NEXUS section of the CBSA website at www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca.
Mad_Max_Esq and Montoya080 like this.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by sansnom_noname
Anyone replaced a NEXUS card recently? Mine was damaged and hence I requested a replacement Dec 21st, the day before government shutdown. I got the approval notice, but still has not received the card yet.
Originally Posted by Montoya080
I saw on another site that someone in Canada had just received a Nexus card in the past few days.
This was from a new application in which the interview took place just before the US Government shutdown.
My replacement has just arrived. Thank you for the information.
Montoya080 likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 7:24 pm

Nexus renewal question [given/middle names fields]

Silly question, but I thought I would ask in case I've totally messed up and need to contact someone ASAP. I just submitted my nexus renewal online but had a bit of trouble with given names/middle names. My nexus profile information online lists my first name under "given name/first name" and my middle name under "middle name". My passport lists both my first and middle name under "Given Names". On the nexus renewal page for my passport information I put only my first name in the "Given Name" box and then my middle name in the "middle name" box. Will this present an issue given the renewal form online wanted the names listed exactly as they appear on the passport? (Which in this case should have had my first and middle name in the given name box). The reason I did this was because I could not delete my middle name from the "middle name" box on the renewal -- the system was putting it there are automatically-- and so I thought it would cause more issues having it listed twice: once in the given names box and again in the middle name box.

My physical nexus card right now lists both my first and middle name as "given name".

Thanjs for the help
Old Jan 11, 2019, 4:03 pm

Programs: NEXUS, UA Club
I am conditionally approved for my NEXUS renewal, but require an interview. I have an appointment scheduled in YYZ next week, but I doubt the US govt shutdown will be done by then. I live in PHL. I was wondering if it is possible to have the Canadian side interview me when I go to my appointment in YYZ, and then go to the global entry enrollment center in PHL once the government reopens to be interviews by the US side? Otherwise I guess I will have to plan another trip back to Canada to complete the interview. Which is annoying, but I will if I have no choice. Just wondering if the global entry center would be able to interview me for the US portion. Thanks!!
Old Jan 11, 2019, 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by Chiro1979
I am conditionally approved for my NEXUS renewal, but require an interview. I have an appointment scheduled in YYZ next week, but I doubt the US govt shutdown will be done by then. I live in PHL. I was wondering if it is possible to have the Canadian side interview me when I go to my appointment in YYZ, and then go to the global entry enrollment center in PHL once the government reopens to be interviews by the US side? Otherwise I guess I will have to plan another trip back to Canada to complete the interview. Which is annoying, but I will if I have no choice. Just wondering if the global entry center would be able to interview me for the US portion. Thanks!!
You can definitely get the Canadian side of the interview done at YYZ even though the US shutdown drags on.
How exactly to book the US side after that, I don't know, as the booking system seems to be set up for one interview per application.

Please also note that the Nexus team (Canadian) will be temporarily in Washinton DC this year (2019).
Old Jan 13, 2019, 9:37 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
I renewed my Nexus card last year. I also renewed my driver's license and changed my home address online on the CBP platform.

I was in YYZ bak in December 2018 and decided to drop by the Nexus office there and check the status of my address change on both CBP and CBSA systems. To my surprise the change of address on the Canadian side was not received from CBP and they had to do it manually on their system!!
Old Jan 15, 2019, 2:55 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by NA-Flyer
I renewed my Nexus card last year. I also renewed my driver's license and changed my home address online on the CBP platform.

I was in YYZ bak in December 2018 and decided to drop by the Nexus office there and check the status of my address change on both CBP and CBSA systems. To my surprise the change of address on the Canadian side was not received from CBP and they had to do it manually on their system!!
CBSA enrollment centre not seeing the update doesn’t matter. They have no need to see the most up to date information.

What matters is port of entry being able to access the updated record.

Based on my and one other FT member experience reported last month, updates made online is sufficient for using NEXUS.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 6:21 pm

Programs: Emirates,NEXUS
I can't understand why Americans can't have the US interview at any major Federal building (Boston,New York,Atlanta,LA,etc,etc) and then have the Canadian interview at a Canadian Consulate or at the Embassy.And the reverse should also be possible...Canadians go to any Federal Government building and then to a US Consulate or the Embassy.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
They can't because the program is jointly run by CBP and CBSA, and likely all funding authorization is through these two agencies for administration of the program. I'm not sure how much staff these two agencies has present in even major federal government buildings (how many CBP agents are at, as an example, the Pentagon? The FBI HQ in DC? Fort Hood here in Texas, the 3rd largest military base in USA?).

Also, as a program aimed at frequent travelers, it shouldn't be an issue for the majority of true frequent travelers to find themselves at a port of entry. NEXUS offices are available at the eight busiest Canadian airports, which process the vast majority of intercontinental and ex-USA arrivals. The 9th busiest airport in Canada is YTZ, easy enough to get to YYZ. The 10th busiest is YYJ (Victoria, BC), which has just under 2M passengers a year total, most of which are flying in from elsewhere in Canada, from airports with NEXUS services. By comparison, YYZ had over eight times as many international passengers excluding USA, and six times as many passengers to/from USA as YYJ had total passengers. NEXUS is also present at the busiest land crossings. NEXUS is not aimed at, nor intended for, every single person who might cross the US/Canadian border. I have it despite living over 1000 miles from the border, as I have been to Canada roughly once a year since 2012; I would bet the number of NEXUS cardholders living here in Austin, a city of over 900,000 people with a daily nonstop to YYZ, is <1000, maybe even less than 500 or even less than 100.
seawolf likes this.

Last edited by TheBOSman; Jan 17, 2019 at 11:59 am
Old Jan 17, 2019, 9:08 am

Programs: DL Plat, Marriot Plat
You can definitely get the Canadian side of the interview done at YYZ even though the US shutdown drags on.
How exactly to book the US side after that, I don't know, as the booking system seems to be set up for one interview per application.

Please also note that the Nexus team (Canadian) will be temporarily in Washinton DC this year (2019).
The on the website, they said something about you get an automatic upto 6 month extension to interview for the US side.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 8:55 am

Programs: EY

DC, plus Atlanta Dallas, and Miami on select days in February and March.
Montoya080 likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 11:07 am

Went to update my i94 in the Nexus office this morning and they couldn't process it as the US agents were not there due to shutdown. Not sure if this is going to be an issue if I go to the border and my latest i94 is not update with Nexus. This i94 was issued under Global Entry so wonder if it's already been updated.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 7:22 pm

I looked into the Trusted Traveler Website today and found that my Nexus Initial Interview scheduled for 2 days from now had been cancelled. No notice. No e-mail. No call.

Well my whole reason for logging in was to re-schedule anyway due to the US shutdown, so I went ahead and did it.

But anyone else with Nexus interviews coming up should probably log in, and see if they need to book another spot.

Edit: Email today:

Good day,

Due to the current U.S. government shutdown, there will be no US officers present to finalize their portion of the interview.

As such, all interviews have been cancelled for the foreseeable future. We are advising all clients to keep an eye on the government shutdown and please reschedule at your earliest convenience.

Please do not book a new appointment until after your current appointment has passed.

Apologies if this message is a duplicate.

Regards,

Nexus Enrolment Centre
Passenger Operations District / NEXUS EC
Canada Border Services Agency / Government of Canada
Telephone: 905 676 3477 / TTY: 866 335 3237
District d’Opérations passagers / Bureau D’enregistrement NEXUS
Agence des services frontaliers du Canada / Gouvernement du Canada
Téléphone : 905 676 3477 / ATS : 866 335 3237

Last edited by Montoya080; Jan 23, 2019 at 5:43 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.