Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 3, 2013, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Current NEXUS Information messages can be found in the following thread:

The NEXUS Information Thread

Welcome to the Travel Safety/Security Trusted Travelers Forum Nexus Information Wiki! This resource will appear at the top of every page within this thread to help users learn more about this program.

About NEXUS

NEXUS is designed to expedite the border clearance process for low-risk, pre-approved travellers into Canada and the United States.

The Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA) and U.S. Customs & Border Patrol (CBP) are cooperating in this joint venture to simplify border crossing for members while enhancing security.

Program benefits

If you are approved to participate in NEXUS, you will receive a membership identification card to use when entering Canada or the United States at all designated NEXUS air, land and marine ports of entry.

Membership will enable airline passengers to save time by:
  • using automated self-serve kiosks in dedicated areas at designated international airports;
  • using NEXUS/SENTRI lanes at land crossings when/where available. NEXUS lanes entering Canada will likely have a constant red traffic signal. This is to discourage non-NEXUS members from using the lane. Canada-bound NEXUS land crossing operating hours. All occupants must have NEXUS cards when using NEXUS lane entering Canada. At some locations, the NEXUS lane, the inspection booth is not staffed but there should be a call button. When entering US in a NEXUS/SENTRI lane, all occupants must carry either NEXUS, Global Entry, or SENTRI cards (or any combination thereof). Notable exception is Whirlpool Bridge which requires a NEXUS card to open the toll gate on the Canadian side to cross to the US..
  • As of 17 MAY 2017 - NEXUS members no longer need to complete a paper CBSA Declaration Card (Form E311) when using a NEXUS self-serve kiosk at any Canadian airport where NEXUS is available. (Refer to post #10421)
  • using the Trusted Traveller Canadian Air Transport Security Authority (CATSA) Security Line at major and select medium-sized Canadian airports to expedite airport pre boarding security screening. For detailed information, please visit the CATSA Web site.

Join NEXUS

Here are the steps for becoming a member. There is a non-refundable processing fee of CAN$50 or US$50 per applicant for a five-year membership card.

About NEXUS
Eligibility
How to apply
Enrolment process

Key points about the program as found by forum members:
  • NEXUS cardholders must advise of ANY changes to their vital information such as passport numbers/validity, visa status, legal names, primary residence, criminal convictions, and employment if it impacts your eligibility in the program.
  • It's normal to find the first in-person NEXUS interview to be months into the future, but a little patience and regular checks on the TTP website almost always yields an interview date much sooner.
  • Each person who wants to participate in the NEXUS program must fill out a separate application form. There is no fee for applicants under the age of 18.
  • If traveling with non-NEXUS family members NEXUS cardholders are required to use the regular customs lines.
  • There is a zero tolerance policy and membership can be terminated for infractions including not having your NEXUS card on you and using the NEXUS lane and not declaring items on your customs declaration card, though members have reported some leniency being granted for such infractions in the past.
  • Private companies may offer services for submitting your application and charge an additional processing fee but these extra charges are not part of the official NEXUS application fee. Expedited services offered by such companies will not assist in speeding up the application process.

Updating Passport with Canada for NEXUS

As per CBSA website, updates to passport information can be handled on TTP.
Please note that NEXUS members are not required to report to an Enrolment Centre to update or change their passport information with the CBSA.
This is supported by data points in post 11122 and 11132.

Some FT members don't trust instructions provided by CBSA and recommend the following:
Call the Canadian Processing Centre with responsibility for residents of the United States:
  • 800-842-7647 --- Monday to Friday, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm (Eastern Time)

After going through the phone tree to reach a Nexus representative, advise them that you need to update your US passport with Canada.

The representative will give you an email address and instructions to scan your updated passport picture page (include your trusted traveler number on the scan) and then email it to a particular email address. I was advised to put the representative's name in the email message so that he could process the update on the Canadian side. He confirmed that any passport update in TTP does not reach Canada. NOTE: FT members have been able to enter Canada without any issues by updating passport online only.

He specifically requested that only the telephone number be posted (and not the email address).

In case the telephone number doesn't work, here's the webpage where the phone number is posted: Canada Border Services Agency - NEXUS - General Information
Note:

US citizens/residents who have both Global Entry and NEXUS cards and who renew the Global Entry membership whilst their NEXUS card is active, will not be able to renew the NEXUS card until after it expires. The option to do so disappears from the TTP website.
Dear mxzblftspk,

Your NEXUS membership is not set to expire until July 11 2016.

As an approved NEXUS member, you added Global Entry for an additional $100. When you completed your Global Entry application, you received a Global Entry card. When you activated the Global Entry Card, your NEXUS Card was deactivated and the option to renew NEXUS was removed from your account.

If you wish to renew NEXUS, you will have to wait for your NEXUS membership to expire. Once it expires, you will have the option within your TTP online account to renew NEXUS. After you follow all of the steps to become a NEXUS member again, including the completion of an interview at a NEXUS Enrollment Center near the Canadian border, you will receive a new NEXUS card and will have Global Entry benefits at no additional cost.

When your Global Entry account expires 5 years after your application, do not renew it. Global Entry benefits are included with your NEXUS membership.

It is our goal to provide you the best information we have in response to your question. If you follow the information provided in our response, and still need assistance, please reply to this email and we will investigate how we may further assist you.

Thank you again for contacting the CBP INFO Center.

Sincerely,

CBP INFO Center
Print Wikipost

Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2018, 6:15 am

Programs: EY
Originally Posted by harry001in
Does anyone have experience crossing Canada USA border everyday for work using NEXUS pass? Like residing in Canada and working in USA
Is it a feasible option to choose? Are US officers okay with daily commuting using NEXUS?
How frequent does Nexus commuters get to go through secondary inspection?
I don't have personal experience with it but I know it's quite common. One of the CBP or CBSA videos about NEXUS literally is a nurse going to work across the border and passing through just by saying 'nothing to declare.'
Old May 7, 2018, 12:21 pm

I just got approved for Nexus. (as Canadian PR) Overall process was smooth.

I would recommend the following.

- if you are applying as Canadian PR and on the basis of combined three years residency (e.g. as work permit holder followed by PR), bring any old work permits and passports with stamps. This will help easier prove residency.
- if your birth cert has extra names that are not on your passport then bring that too. I don't use my middle name on my passport but I was told to bring my birth cert (for extra verification)
Old May 8, 2018, 8:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Just a heads-up for Nexus or GE members using a Nexus console while entering Canada - the questions were modified to now include the word "food", where it never existed on the printed cards or the machines prior to being able to use them instead of the cards. If you are entering Canada and using Nexus, you'll need to follow the same declaration process so you don't risk losing both Nexus and GE if they are tied to each other.
Old May 10, 2018, 12:09 pm

you know have to log into the ttp website.. nexus goes is changed to ttp and the wait time to get approved is appoximately 3 weeks. ( that's how long it took for my son to get approved. with the interview taking place a few days later.
Old May 10, 2018, 2:28 pm

Found a CBSA report on NEXUS/CANPASS from June 2017..some quick takeaways (wrote longer but accidentally hit back and lost it all :/ )

Evaluation of the Trusted Traveller Programs (Air, Land, Marine)

NEXUS usage runs from 100% at Whirlpool Bridge in Niagara Falls, 38% in Douglas in BC, 16% at the Ambassador Bridge in Detroit, to 0.1% in Emerson.

CANPASS only serves 1627 members (who either don't qualify for NEXUS or choose to remain in a domestic only program), and will be depreciated once all memberships expire (as they need to be renewed every year, that should be soon)

CANPASS Private and Corporate serves 4900 and 7258 people, and does not have a corresponding program in NEXUS, so will continue.

NEXUS membership over the past five years increased from 500k to 1.2 million by the end of 2015. Expected to reach 2 million members by the end of 2018. Ratio of Canadian to US members is 4:1. Passage volume increased from 3.9 million to 8.5 million.

CANPASS is dying out on its own, down 80% in membership over the past five years. (Costs $50 per year, while NEXUS is $50 for five years)
CANPASS cost to benefit ratio is about $100 per crossing, NEXUS costs about $0.45 per crossing (cost per passage). (CANPASS costs about $250,000 per year, and only had about 2600 crossings).

7 Million NEXUS highway crossings, 1.4 million Air crossings in 2015.

NEXUS took 5% of air crossings, ABC 29%. Rest went through the regular BSO lanes.

Cost per NEXUS application is $41, down from $61 in 2011
Old May 19, 2018, 10:31 am

Allowed to withdraw - am I still eligible for Nexus renewal

Hi everyone,
In Nov 2017, I was traveling from Canada into USA on business and didn't have the required paperwork to show I wouldn't be performing work. The us customs agent allowed me to withdraw from my application to enter the usa. (I'm told this is a softer version of being denied?)
but since then, I'm always sent to secondary for verification regardless of personal or business. Ultimately I've always been allowed into the USA but it seems I'm on some kind of black list because of that prior incident.

my question is: should I even bother to renew my nexus? It expires in July 2018. I've only got $50 to lose but I'm curious about my odds against me.

thanks for any input!
Old May 19, 2018, 11:53 am

Programs: Nexus
Originally Posted by Hellodolly604
Hi everyone,
In Nov 2017, I was traveling from Canada into USA on business and didn't have the required paperwork to show I wouldn't be performing work. The us customs agent allowed me to withdraw from my application to enter the usa. (I'm told this is a softer version of being denied?)
but since then, I'm always sent to secondary for verification regardless of personal or business. Ultimately I've always been allowed into the USA but it seems I'm on some kind of black list because of that prior incident.

my question is: should I even bother to renew my nexus? It expires in July 2018. I've only got $50 to lose but I'm curious about my odds against me.

thanks for any input!
Now this just my opinion but if you want to be 100% sure it's best to consult an immigration lawyer. This is what I would do if I were in your place. So with NEXUS as long as you satisfy eligibility requirements you can apply for and get NEXUS card. I was specifically told by CBP during my NEXUS interview that if I change my US visa status I cannot go through the NEXUS lane first time I come in with newly stamped visa. I have to go through regular CBP line so that they can make the necessary I-94 entries etc else it will be considered an illegal entry. So based on this it seems if your visa status never changes after getting NEXUS and between travels and you're actually not doing any work and getting paid for it (i.e. you are following all rules), you can use the card to skip CBP lines and the secondary checks.
Also, it's hard to say if they've added any notes that make them question you each time. If you submit the NEXUS application and you get denied either before conditional approval or after interview you will know. If you do get NEXUS you can use it. Others can chime in if they have a different opinion.
Old May 21, 2018, 8:07 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, NEXUS
Does anyone know why the NEXUS fee is much cheaper than that of Global Entry even though you get more benefits with NEXUS?
Old May 21, 2018, 8:27 pm

Location: SEA, or BOS, or MUC, or other places (probably connecting). "Detroit, Michigan is in the Eastern time zone."
Programs: DL PM/1MM, AS 100K, NEXUS/GE, CLEAR, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Nayef
Does anyone know why the NEXUS fee is much cheaper than that of Global Entry even though you get more benefits with NEXUS?
Since NEXUS is a binational program, both the US and Canada would have to agree to raise the price. Global Entry is a US program and they can set the price themselves.

The vast majority (approximately 80%, I think) of NEXUS members are Canadian, so Canada has an incentive to keep the price low.
Nayef likes this.
Old May 21, 2018, 8:30 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, NEXUS
Originally Posted by CKDGM

Since NEXUS is a binational program, both the US and Canada would have to agree to raise the price. Global Entry is a US program and they can set the price themselves.

The vast majority (approximately 80%, I think) of NEXUS members are Canadian, so Canada has an incentive to keep the price low.
I've yet to fully taste the perks of NEXUS, but I do look forward to my next visit to Canada. Though chances are I'll be with someone who doesn't have NEXUS so I might not get to.

I did try it back when it was Global Entry and I enjoyed not having to talk to any immigration officers at all when landing in the U.S. from Europe just getting my bags and leaving. It kind of felt like a future without real borders.
Old May 22, 2018, 9:18 am

I'm still wondering why the US credit cards that credit GE ($100) won't credit NEXUS ($50).
Old May 22, 2018, 9:47 am

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by xobile
I'm still wondering why the US credit cards that credit GE ($100) won't credit NEXUS ($50).
You can ask your credit card company. A FTer complained to Chase, Chase credited his/her $50 NEXUS application/renewal fee.
Old May 22, 2018, 10:17 pm

Is it OK if my driver's license address doesn't match my current residential address? Same province and nearby city.

It's my mother's address. I keep it as that since I'm renting so I'll still get notices in the future if I move again.
Old May 22, 2018, 10:24 pm

Programs: Amex, JPMR, Nexus
Originally Posted by tecate55
Is it OK if my driver's license address doesn't match my current residential address? Same province and nearby city.

It's my mother's address. I keep it as that since I'm renting so I'll still get notices in the future if I move again.
The address on your license should match your mailing address, not necessarily your residential address.
Old May 23, 2018, 6:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by greglvnv

The address on your license should match your mailing address, not necessarily your residential address.
Is this a fact? I need to be certain as my spouse has a renewal next month and has been using the existing, and still valid WA State license that has 2 more years on it vs changing to a California license because we've had no time to take from work to get an appointment at the CA DMV and there are no appointments available before the Nexus/GE renewal appointment. I had my own Nexus/GE card issued and renewed with my HI license that just has a vacation home address and is not my permanent residence, but there is no way I'm giving up my HI license - the US inspector questioned why, but was satisfied with my answer.

Edit: a specific answer is available here and here

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.