Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 3, 2013, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Current NEXUS Information messages can be found in the following thread:

The NEXUS Information Thread

Welcome to the Travel Safety/Security Trusted Travelers Forum Nexus Information Wiki! This resource will appear at the top of every page within this thread to help users learn more about this program.

About NEXUS

NEXUS is designed to expedite the border clearance process for low-risk, pre-approved travellers into Canada and the United States.

The Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA) and U.S. Customs & Border Patrol (CBP) are cooperating in this joint venture to simplify border crossing for members while enhancing security.

Program benefits

If you are approved to participate in NEXUS, you will receive a membership identification card to use when entering Canada or the United States at all designated NEXUS air, land and marine ports of entry.

Membership will enable airline passengers to save time by:
  • using automated self-serve kiosks in dedicated areas at designated international airports;
  • using NEXUS/SENTRI lanes at land crossings when/where available. NEXUS lanes entering Canada will likely have a constant red traffic signal. This is to discourage non-NEXUS members from using the lane. Canada-bound NEXUS land crossing operating hours. All occupants must have NEXUS cards when using NEXUS lane entering Canada. At some locations, the NEXUS lane, the inspection booth is not staffed but there should be a call button. When entering US in a NEXUS/SENTRI lane, all occupants must carry either NEXUS, Global Entry, or SENTRI cards (or any combination thereof). Notable exception is Whirlpool Bridge which requires a NEXUS card to open the toll gate on the Canadian side to cross to the US..
  • As of 17 MAY 2017 - NEXUS members no longer need to complete a paper CBSA Declaration Card (Form E311) when using a NEXUS self-serve kiosk at any Canadian airport where NEXUS is available. (Refer to post #10421)
  • using the Trusted Traveller Canadian Air Transport Security Authority (CATSA) Security Line at major and select medium-sized Canadian airports to expedite airport pre boarding security screening. For detailed information, please visit the CATSA Web site.

Join NEXUS

Here are the steps for becoming a member. There is a non-refundable processing fee of CAN$50 or US$50 per applicant for a five-year membership card.

About NEXUS
Eligibility
How to apply
Enrolment process

Key points about the program as found by forum members:
  • NEXUS cardholders must advise of ANY changes to their vital information such as passport numbers/validity, visa status, legal names, primary residence, criminal convictions, and employment if it impacts your eligibility in the program.
  • It's normal to find the first in-person NEXUS interview to be months into the future, but a little patience and regular checks on the TTP website almost always yields an interview date much sooner.
  • Each person who wants to participate in the NEXUS program must fill out a separate application form. There is no fee for applicants under the age of 18.
  • If traveling with non-NEXUS family members NEXUS cardholders are required to use the regular customs lines.
  • There is a zero tolerance policy and membership can be terminated for infractions including not having your NEXUS card on you and using the NEXUS lane and not declaring items on your customs declaration card, though members have reported some leniency being granted for such infractions in the past.
  • Private companies may offer services for submitting your application and charge an additional processing fee but these extra charges are not part of the official NEXUS application fee. Expedited services offered by such companies will not assist in speeding up the application process.

Updating Passport with Canada for NEXUS

As per CBSA website, updates to passport information can be handled on TTP.
Please note that NEXUS members are not required to report to an Enrolment Centre to update or change their passport information with the CBSA.
This is supported by data points in post 11122 and 11132.

Some FT members don't trust instructions provided by CBSA and recommend the following:
Call the Canadian Processing Centre with responsibility for residents of the United States:
  • 800-842-7647 --- Monday to Friday, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm (Eastern Time)

After going through the phone tree to reach a Nexus representative, advise them that you need to update your US passport with Canada.

The representative will give you an email address and instructions to scan your updated passport picture page (include your trusted traveler number on the scan) and then email it to a particular email address. I was advised to put the representative's name in the email message so that he could process the update on the Canadian side. He confirmed that any passport update in TTP does not reach Canada. NOTE: FT members have been able to enter Canada without any issues by updating passport online only.

He specifically requested that only the telephone number be posted (and not the email address).

In case the telephone number doesn't work, here's the webpage where the phone number is posted: Canada Border Services Agency - NEXUS - General Information
Note:

US citizens/residents who have both Global Entry and NEXUS cards and who renew the Global Entry membership whilst their NEXUS card is active, will not be able to renew the NEXUS card until after it expires. The option to do so disappears from the TTP website.
Dear mxzblftspk,

Your NEXUS membership is not set to expire until July 11 2016.

As an approved NEXUS member, you added Global Entry for an additional $100. When you completed your Global Entry application, you received a Global Entry card. When you activated the Global Entry Card, your NEXUS Card was deactivated and the option to renew NEXUS was removed from your account.

If you wish to renew NEXUS, you will have to wait for your NEXUS membership to expire. Once it expires, you will have the option within your TTP online account to renew NEXUS. After you follow all of the steps to become a NEXUS member again, including the completion of an interview at a NEXUS Enrollment Center near the Canadian border, you will receive a new NEXUS card and will have Global Entry benefits at no additional cost.

When your Global Entry account expires 5 years after your application, do not renew it. Global Entry benefits are included with your NEXUS membership.

It is our goal to provide you the best information we have in response to your question. If you follow the information provided in our response, and still need assistance, please reply to this email and we will investigate how we may further assist you.

Thank you again for contacting the CBP INFO Center.

Sincerely,

CBP INFO Center
Print Wikipost

Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2018, 12:59 pm

Hi there,

This is my current situation:
I have already gone for my 1st interview with the Nexus Officers. The CBSA asked if I had been arrested and I answered truthfully, with yes. But I didn't know I had to bring in a physical copy of my pardons and my record suspension. But he accepted my PDF copy and allowed me to move onto the US Officer. The US Officer said I would be more or less approved but he said that the US wouldn't accept us digital copy of my pardons and said he will put a hold on my application for 30 days. The CBSA also mentioned that I would have to come back to this location to finish my application.

Few days later, I was able to get another appointment, this time I was bringing in my Birth Certificate, Pardons/Record Suspension Paper, RCMP Fingerprint Destruction paper. I thought everything was going to go through with no problems but I was wrong. This other US Officer had informed me that the Pardon+RCMP paper would not be enough and they would my court papers to finish the application as they want to know what I was charged with (I pleaded guilty to fraud under 5000, had no fines to pay, but had to promise to not be in possession of other peoples credit cards). They said they will put a hold on my application for another 30 days, and this was on February 27th.

Now my problem is, I went to acquire my court papers and they said it may take up to 6 weeks, but they will try and expedite it for me.

TLDR: Been bounced and had to come back due to lack of documentations

My questions are:

1) Do I have to go back to the same Nexus Interview location to finish my application or can I go to an different location with a more available date?
2) If I can't get a date within the 30 days at the same location, does that mean my Nexus application is over?
3) I haven't been in the US since I've gotten my record, and this was the first time I have told the US about my record. Would they flag my passport when I try to head on down there?

Thanks in advance!!
Old Mar 4, 2018, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by mistakesmade
<snip>
My questions are:

1) Do I have to go back to the same Nexus Interview location to finish my application or can I go to an different location with a more available date?
2) If I can't get a date within the 30 days at the same location, does that mean my Nexus application is over?
3) I haven't been in the US since I've gotten my record, and this was the first time I have told the US about my record. Would they flag my passport when I try to head on down there?

Thanks in advance!!
Based on my general reading of similar situations discussed on this subforum, I would assume the answers are:

1. If returning to the same office is a problem, you may be able to arrange to send the court disposition papers to the officer by mail (although you should probably use a fast, tracked service, like Canada Post Xpresspost or Priority, or UPS Express, for proof of delivery and signature). (It may even be possible to send it by fax or even as a scanned document by email, but of course you would need to confirm that the individual officer will accept that.)

2. If you will not be able to deliver the documents into the officer's hands by 30 days after the interview, you should contact him well in advance to notify him of this. Whether the 30 day deadline is a limit he entered into the computer system, a paper note he left for himself to reject your application if you don't return within 30 days, or he entirely forgets to take action -- he has all the power. If he says 30 days, do it within 30 days, or personally ask him for an extension.

3. IIRC, US Customs and Border Protection typically has access to Canadian criminal records. So it's likely that they would have been aware of the previous criminal record (even after a pardon), even without your Nexus application.

There is a process in place for Trusted Traveler Program (NEXUS/Global Entry/SENTRI) members who are repeatedly flagged for secondary screening in the US due to a prior criminal record to have that flag "demoted" after three secondaries.

Here's that process:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29158300-post139.html

----

Because your hurdle is with the US CBP officer, you may also want to read through the threads on Global Entry applicants who are required to bring to the CBP officer court disposition papers:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trus...nvictions.html

Global Entry denial for failure to disclose expunged or old convictions

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trus...interview.html
Old Mar 4, 2018, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by seawolf
You can apply for a renewal right now if NEXUS is expiring this year and still continue to use NEXUS in the interim.
Thanks - definitely agreed, I am just worried if I go to the NEXUS office soon (before renewal) to update my information, will they be unhappy with the fact that I did not inform them of the changes earlier?
Old Mar 4, 2018, 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by bueller20
Thanks - definitely agreed, I am just worried if I go to the NEXUS office soon (before renewal) to update my information, will they be unhappy with the fact that I did not inform them of the changes earlier?
Will your "frequent travel" be starting before your NEXUS expires? (In other words, will you use your NEXUS card/privileges before expiration?)

If so, then yes, definitely go in and simply say -- "Hi, I need to update my NEXUS information with a new employer and address, and I also have a new passport."

You shouldn't overthink it.

If you're concerned, feel free split up the changes into two trips to the NEXUS office, maybe one for the employer and address, and one for the passport.

Last edited by Newbie2FT; Mar 4, 2018 at 4:37 pm
Old Mar 4, 2018, 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by Newbie2FT
Will your "frequent travel" be starting before your NEXUS expires? (In other words, will you use your NEXUS card/privileges before expiration?)

If so, then yes, definitely go in and simply say -- "Hi, I need to update my NEXUS information with a new employer and address, and I also have a new passport."

You shouldn't overthink it.

If you're concerned, feel free split up the changes into two trips to the NEXUS office, maybe one for the employer and address, and one for the passport.
Thank you! Wish me luck
Newbie2FT likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 8:52 pm

Based on my general reading of similar situations discussed on this subforum, I would assume the answers are:

1. If returning to the same office is a problem, you may be able to arrange to send the court disposition papers to the officer by mail (although you should probably use a fast, tracked service, like Canada Post Xpresspost or Priority, or UPS Express, for proof of delivery and signature). (It may even be possible to send it by fax or even as a scanned document by email, but of course you would need to confirm that the individual officer will accept that.)

2. If you will not be able to deliver the documents into the officer's hands by 30 days after the interview, you should contact him well in advance to notify him of this. Whether the 30 day deadline is a limit he entered into the computer system, a paper note he left for himself to reject your application if you don't return within 30 days, or he entirely forgets to take action -- he has all the power. If he says 30 days, do it within 30 days, or personally ask him for an extension.
Hi Newbie2FT!

Thank you for your response!

What would you guy recommend is the best way to get the officers contact information? Should I call into the Nexus Office and ask for the officer's contact information? ( I didn't catch her name unfortunately but I am able to describe what she looked like)
Or, should I just go in in person? I also was able to book an earlier date (March 9th) but, I am also doubtful that I will have my court paper by then.. and will be wishing to see what the Officer is willing to do to proceed

Thanks as always!
Old Mar 4, 2018, 9:26 pm

Hi Newbie2FT!

Thank you for your response!

What would you guy recommend is the best way to get the officers contact information? Should I call into the Nexus Office and ask for the officer's contact information? ( I didn't catch her name unfortunately but I am able to describe what she looked like)
Or, should I just go in in person? I also was able to book an earlier date (March 9th) but, I am also doubtful that I will have my court paper by then.. and will be wishing to see what the Officer is willing to do to proceed

Thanks as always!
You're welcome.

I think you're assuming that you need to make an appointment through the TTP system to present your court disposition documents.

But if you read through this thread, and the similar Global Entry threads, you'll find that most applicants just stop by the office and explain that they're dropping off the documents that were requested. It seems like it's a 5 minute process.

If you want, you could call ahead a few days before you stop by to mention that you'll come by with documents.

(And, of course, if the court does not expedite the delivery of the paperwork, then call the CBP officer to explain the delay and ask for more time.)

I only recommended mail because I inferred that you would not be able to travel to the same city/airport where you had your interview. But if you are able to go there, and the only problem was the TTP scheduling, then do go there.

If, however, you are not able to go to the office, then, yes, you could call and ask for the name of the CBP officer who spoke with you when brought the pardon paperwork (the 2nd appointment), and explain that you'll be mailing her the documents (or fax/email, if she allows it). (She may be more lenient on PDFs/faxes/digital copies than the CBP officer at the 1st appointment, consistent with other postings in this thread.)

Last edited by Newbie2FT; Mar 4, 2018 at 9:37 pm
Old Mar 4, 2018, 10:15 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bueller20
Is there any change to your information requiring an update in person as listed here? If not, there is no reason to stop by an enrollment centre at all.

A passport update due to expired passport (same nationality as previous on file; merely changing passport#, dates of issue and expiry) does not require an update in person.

Last edited by seawolf; Mar 4, 2018 at 10:55 pm
Old Mar 5, 2018, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by seawolf
Is there any change to your information requiring an update in person as listed here? If not, there is no reason to stop by an enrollment centre at all.

A passport update due to expired passport (same nationality as previous on file; merely changing passport#, dates of issue and expiry) does not require an update in person.
Keep in mind that NEXUS members are required to comply with both US and Canadian regulations and procedures.

CBP INFO Center answer:

I am enrolled in a Trusted Traveler Program. Do I have to notify you if I change my address?

Yes. ...

You will need to go to the nearest Enrollment Center to update your residential/permanent address.

TTP FAQ:

If you need to update your current address (where you live), you will need to go to the nearest Enrollment Center. No appointment is needed. Please note that applicants with enrollment appointments will be assisted first.

And since, as you've noted, CBSA officers at NEXUS "enrolment centres" don't have access to passport updates made online, the CBSA officer could easily notice that the passport visible to the officer in the system has expired.

To avoid a potential lecture from the officer about an expired passport and document updates in the system, @bueller20 can proactively present his new passport, and indicate that he has made the change in the TTP system and is providing it for the change to be made "on the Canadian side" (i.e., to assuage the officer).

Finally, on a technical level, even the CBSA webpage requires a visit to the enrolment centre to update "Purpose of travel changes (business/pleasure/school, etc)". Bueller20 has strongly implied that his purpose of travel when he applied in 2013 was work travel, and that his work travel largely ebbed since 2015 and will only resume at full strength in the near future. If he is currently using NEXUS largely for pleasure travel, then -- technically -- he is required to keep current his purpose of travel, and by noting his new employment and its upcoming travel demands, he can present that information to the officer.

Will an officer at an enrolment centre or port of entry actually care? Quite unlikely. But it does illustrate that there are still reasons for a visit to an enrolment centre.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 11:02 am
Original Member

Good catch on the in-person update needed for the residential address.
Newbie2FT likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 12:39 pm

You're welcome.

I think you're assuming that you need to make an appointment through the TTP system to present your court disposition documents.

Ah geez, that is where I went wrong. I re-booked dates in TTP to bring in extra documents. And each time I got a new officer for a total of 4 different officers.

1) The first CDN Officer was hesitant on what on my record suspension, but still allowed me to proceed to the US officer
2) The first US Officer said I was pretty much good to go as long as I had brought in a physical copy of my pardons+rcmp fingerprint destruction + he had mentioned that he would put my application on hold for 30 days.
*** because of what the US Officer said, I thought I had to rebook through TTP
3) The second CDN Officer was even easier, and let me pass through with flying colours
4) The second US Officer might have been new.. as I had brought all the papers that the first US Officer had requested, but she had to rely on a neighbouring US officer for assistance. That officer had suggested that they would want the court records and my application will be on hold for 30 days.

Now, would this mean that I would have to contact both US Officers that had put my file on hold? I wish, I had just dropped off my the additional documentation )

Thanks again!

Last edited by TWA884; Mar 5, 2018 at 1:21 pm Reason: Fix BB Code
Old Mar 5, 2018, 1:43 pm

<snip>
Now, would this mean that I would have to contact both US Officers that had put my file on hold? <snip>
- If you're referring to what to do if there's a delay in receiving your court paperwork:

You could simply call the office, ask to speak to a CBP officer on duty, and say something like -- "Hi, I've been to your office twice about a NEXUS application. The second time I came in, the CBP officer asked for court paperwork for an old charge and the disposition. I won't be receiving it from the court within 30 days of that second visit. Can you tell her that I'll need another 30 days, and put a note into my file about that?"

- If you're referring to speaking to both CBP officers when simply dropping off your court paperwork before March 29:

I doubt it. When you drop off your paperwork this time, I would assume that the CBP officer (either one that you spoke to previously or a different one) can simply enter your documents into the system and advance your application to the next stage.

Of course, you can double-check with him/her that you're all set and that this will move your consideration onward, and ask for that information to be passed to both previous officers.

Last edited by Newbie2FT; Mar 5, 2018 at 2:17 pm Reason: grammar
Old Mar 9, 2018, 6:49 am

My spouse is regaining her Hungarian citizenship, which was terminated in the 1980s due to emigration from Hungary. She is a Canadian NEXUS member. Anyone know if the new citizenship is required to be reported to the NEXUS office? She will still use her Canadian passport to travel between the US and Canada.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 6:53 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by Kiraly
My spouse is regaining her Hungarian citizenship, which was terminated in the 1980s due to emigration. She is a Canadian NEXUS member. Anyone know if the new citizenship is required to be reported to the NEXUS office? She will still use her Canadian passport to travel between the US and Canada.
The paper application form provide clues that it should be reported. Having said that, I didn't report my other nationality for almost 10 years of being trusted traveler member (GE followed by NEXUS) and no issues.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by Kiraly
My spouse is regaining her Hungarian citizenship, which was terminated in the 1980s due to emigration from Hungary. She is a Canadian NEXUS member. Anyone know if the new citizenship is required to be reported to the NEXUS office? She will still use her Canadian passport to travel between the US and Canada.
It is actually a more interesting question than it seems to be after GOES system changed to TPP.
I got my US Global Entry when I was still a Green Card holder with only foreign citizenship. Then I got US citizenship and updated my profile in person with a new citizenship and US passport (still keeping info about my foreign citizenship).
Some time ago I started a renewal/change to NEXUS process in the new TTP system and the system pulled my Global Entry profile data with 2 citizenships. To my surprise, the form didn't go through automated validation!
My guess is that in this new system, if you have more than one citizenship listed, it somehow tries using both passports as a "Proof you may enter into the US". Of course, at a validation step, the system doesn't consider a foreign passport as a valid proof of being able to enter USA. And then the vicious cycle starts again - if I remove this foreign passport, the validation will fail as "There is a citizenship listed, but no passport". If I add the foreign passport, it will immediately list it as a US Proof. Rinse and repeat.
I wrote an email to TTP support and pretty much got a one-liner response: "Proof to enter the US is only the US passport not <foreign> pp. Delete <foreign> as proof to enter the US." Sounds logical, but doesn't really answer my question. In the end, the only way I could do this was to remove the foreign citizenship altogether.

That said, I would definitely not hide a foreign citizenship from US/Canadian officials, but I will probably not go an extra mile trying to add it to the system as it might well not be possible...
Kiraly and LCUF like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.