Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread

Old Mar 3, 2013, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Current NEXUS Information messages can be found in the following thread:

The NEXUS Information Thread

Welcome to the Travel Safety/Security Trusted Travelers Forum Nexus Information Wiki! This resource will appear at the top of every page within this thread to help users learn more about this program.

About NEXUS

NEXUS is designed to expedite the border clearance process for low-risk, pre-approved travellers into Canada and the United States.

The Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA) and U.S. Customs & Border Patrol (CBP) are cooperating in this joint venture to simplify border crossing for members while enhancing security.

Program benefits

If you are approved to participate in NEXUS, you will receive a membership identification card to use when entering Canada or the United States at all designated NEXUS air, land and marine ports of entry.

Membership will enable airline passengers to save time by:
  • using automated self-serve kiosks in dedicated areas at designated international airports;
  • using NEXUS/SENTRI lanes at land crossings when/where available. NEXUS lanes entering Canada will likely have a constant red traffic signal. This is to discourage non-NEXUS members from using the lane. Canada-bound NEXUS land crossing operating hours. All occupants must have NEXUS cards when using NEXUS lane entering Canada. At some locations, the NEXUS lane, the inspection booth is not staffed but there should be a call button. When entering US in a NEXUS/SENTRI lane, all occupants must carry either NEXUS, Global Entry, or SENTRI cards (or any combination thereof). Notable exception is Whirlpool Bridge which requires a NEXUS card to open the toll gate on the Canadian side to cross to the US..
  • As of 17 MAY 2017 - NEXUS members no longer need to complete a paper CBSA Declaration Card (Form E311) when using a NEXUS self-serve kiosk at any Canadian airport where NEXUS is available. (Refer to post #10421)
  • using the Trusted Traveller Canadian Air Transport Security Authority (CATSA) Security Line at major and select medium-sized Canadian airports to expedite airport pre boarding security screening. For detailed information, please visit the CATSA Web site.

Join NEXUS

Here are the steps for becoming a member. There is a non-refundable processing fee of CAN$50 or US$50 per applicant for a five-year membership card.

About NEXUS
Eligibility
How to apply
Enrolment process

Key points about the program as found by forum members:
  • NEXUS cardholders must advise of ANY changes to their vital information such as passport numbers/validity, visa status, legal names, primary residence, criminal convictions, and employment if it impacts your eligibility in the program.
  • It's normal to find the first in-person NEXUS interview to be months into the future, but a little patience and regular checks on the TTP website almost always yields an interview date much sooner.
  • Each person who wants to participate in the NEXUS program must fill out a separate application form. There is no fee for applicants under the age of 18.
  • If traveling with non-NEXUS family members NEXUS cardholders are required to use the regular customs lines.
  • There is a zero tolerance policy and membership can be terminated for infractions including not having your NEXUS card on you and using the NEXUS lane and not declaring items on your customs declaration card, though members have reported some leniency being granted for such infractions in the past.
  • Private companies may offer services for submitting your application and charge an additional processing fee but these extra charges are not part of the official NEXUS application fee. Expedited services offered by such companies will not assist in speeding up the application process.

Updating Passport with Canada for NEXUS

As per CBSA website, updates to passport information can be handled on TTP.
Please note that NEXUS members are not required to report to an Enrolment Centre to update or change their passport information with the CBSA.
This is supported by data points in post 11122 and 11132.

Some FT members don't trust instructions provided by CBSA and recommend the following:
Call the Canadian Processing Centre with responsibility for residents of the United States:
  • 800-842-7647 --- Monday to Friday, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm (Eastern Time)

After going through the phone tree to reach a Nexus representative, advise them that you need to update your US passport with Canada.

The representative will give you an email address and instructions to scan your updated passport picture page (include your trusted traveler number on the scan) and then email it to a particular email address. I was advised to put the representative's name in the email message so that he could process the update on the Canadian side. He confirmed that any passport update in TTP does not reach Canada. NOTE: FT members have been able to enter Canada without any issues by updating passport online only.

He specifically requested that only the telephone number be posted (and not the email address).

In case the telephone number doesn't work, here's the webpage where the phone number is posted: Canada Border Services Agency - NEXUS - General Information
Note:

US citizens/residents who have both Global Entry and NEXUS cards and who renew the Global Entry membership whilst their NEXUS card is active, will not be able to renew the NEXUS card until after it expires. The option to do so disappears from the TTP website.
Dear mxzblftspk,

Your NEXUS membership is not set to expire until July 11 2016.

As an approved NEXUS member, you added Global Entry for an additional $100. When you completed your Global Entry application, you received a Global Entry card. When you activated the Global Entry Card, your NEXUS Card was deactivated and the option to renew NEXUS was removed from your account.

If you wish to renew NEXUS, you will have to wait for your NEXUS membership to expire. Once it expires, you will have the option within your TTP online account to renew NEXUS. After you follow all of the steps to become a NEXUS member again, including the completion of an interview at a NEXUS Enrollment Center near the Canadian border, you will receive a new NEXUS card and will have Global Entry benefits at no additional cost.

When your Global Entry account expires 5 years after your application, do not renew it. Global Entry benefits are included with your NEXUS membership.

It is our goal to provide you the best information we have in response to your question. If you follow the information provided in our response, and still need assistance, please reply to this email and we will investigate how we may further assist you.

Thank you again for contacting the CBP INFO Center.

Sincerely,

CBP INFO Center
Print Wikipost

Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread

Old Nov 2, 2017, 1:36 pm

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Originally Posted by Mcdonoughdr
What is the general experience like when entering Canada at the airport with Nexus as a US citizen? After the kiosks do they officers as you the same questions as the normal lines?
When arriving by air: the officer will take the slip printed by the nexus kiosk and you are all set to go out of the arrival area in minuets ^
Old Nov 2, 2017, 3:32 pm
ALW

Time to renew my Nexus again (it expires in March). I'm a little confused about conflicting information but also want to make sure I didn't click the wrong button. I have created an account on login.gov to use the new TTP site. My dashboard says I'm a Nexus member and I clicked on renew. Wording seems to imply I'm applying for a new Nexus card so I wonder if I did something wrong.

CBSA site says:

Please note that a streamlined renewal process is now in place. It is no longer necessary for the majority of renewing members who have not had changes to their information and have maintained their low-risk status to attend an interview.
but TTP site says:

If your application is conditionally approved, you will be required to travel to an enrollment center for an interview.
and the button is "Apply for Nexus" which makes me wonder if I took the wrong path. Am I in the right place there?

Also, I wondered about renewing by paper vs online. The latter is easier but the former is $15 cheaper (USD vs CAD). Is there any functional difference? If I'm not going to need an interview I can wait an extra week or two, but if there is in fact always an interview I probably have to apply now.

Finally, will I get a full 5 years? This card was issued in Sep 2012 and expires Mar 2018, so I assume the new one will expire Mar 2023.

Thanks!
=aw
Old Nov 3, 2017, 9:05 pm

Programs: NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by ALW
Time to renew my Nexus again (it expires in March). I'm a little confused about conflicting information but also want to make sure I didn't click the wrong button. I have created an account on login.gov to use the new TTP site. My dashboard says I'm a Nexus member and I clicked on renew. Wording seems to imply I'm applying for a new Nexus card so I wonder if I did something wrong.

CBSA site says:

but TTP site says:

and the button is "Apply for Nexus" which makes me wonder if I took the wrong path. Am I in the right place there?

Also, I wondered about renewing by paper vs online. The latter is easier but the former is $15 cheaper (USD vs CAD). Is there any functional difference? If I'm not going to need an interview I can wait an extra week or two, but if there is in fact always an interview I probably have to apply now.

Finally, will I get a full 5 years? This card was issued in Sep 2012 and expires Mar 2018, so I assume the new one will expire Mar 2023.

Thanks!
=aw
I can answer the third question.

You get five years added on to your old expiration date, which is your birth date, so if your old card expires in March 2018, the new one will expire in 2023.

I renewed mine last month, without an interview.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 10:59 pm
ALW

Originally Posted by dustman81
I renewed mine last month, without an interview.
Thank you. Did you submit the renewal online or by paper? And did it feel like you were submitting a new application? That's how it feels when I click "Renew" on TTP.

=aw
Old Nov 4, 2017, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by NA-Flyer
When arriving by air: the officer will take the slip printed by the nexus kiosk and you are all set to go out of the arrival area in minuets ^
Sure, but instead of standing around in the immigration line, you then have to stand around at the baggage carousel to collect your checked bags, which aren't arriving any sooner than anyone else's. Six of one, half a dozen of the other.

It's more useful when departing, when the NEXUS card gets you to the short line in security. And it really shines at the land border, when it can save you hours of time.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 12:21 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Kiraly
Sure, but instead of standing around in the immigration line, you then have to stand around at the baggage carousel to collect your checked bags, which aren't arriving any sooner than anyone else's. Six of one, half a dozen of the other.

It's more useful when departing, when the NEXUS card gets you to the short line in security. And it really shines at the land border, when it can save you hours of time.
It depends. There are times when customs is also a bottleneck in US/Canadian airports. NEXUS get their own customs lane as well.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 12:36 pm

Programs: NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by ALW
Thank you. Did you submit the renewal online or by paper? And did it feel like you were submitting a new application? That's how it feels when I click "Renew" on TTP.

=aw
I started mine on the old GOES site, which automatically transferred to the TTP site.

They ask you the same basic questions, like your current address, current employer, if you've moved in the last five years (and if so, what were your old address(es)), if you've changed jobs in the last five years (and if so, who were your old employers), countries you've been to in the previous five years (excluding Canada and Mexico), passport info, and driver's license info (if you have one).

They'll let you know on the TTP site if you're conditionally approved (meaning you need to interview) or if you're fully approved (no interview required).
Old Nov 4, 2017, 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by ALW

=aw
Even when you renewed on GOES in the past, it made you walk through the entire application as if you were applying for the first time, but all of the info that you had entered on the previous application was already pre-filled, so you only had to edit anything that changed.

Not sure if TTP does the same.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 10:01 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by Jono
Even when you renewed on GOES in the past, it made you walk through the entire application as if you were applying for the first time, but all of the info that you had entered on the previous application was already pre-filled, so you only had to edit anything that changed.

Not sure if TTP does the same.
It does. I set up our accounts in the new TTP site and renewed last week. It does sort of look like you are applying from scratch at first but it becomes clear it is a renewal when it asks you to just confirm the info from the old site and list the countries visited in the past 5 years.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 11:06 pm
ALW

I notice the question "Have you ever been found in violation of customs or immigration laws or other federal import laws?" is defined as including refusal into US. Am I right that would include being refused TN status due to inadequate documentation, that application being later approved?

I'm highlighting it because the question sounds much more serious than that particular answer, and someone in that position might say "no" based on the question wording. I wonder if "yes" means an interview, but if "no" could mean a refusal (for someone in that position).

=aw

Last edited by ALW; Nov 5, 2017 at 12:14 am
Old Nov 5, 2017, 7:47 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Luckily 90% of my travel is with carry on's
seawolf likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by ALW
I notice the question "Have you ever been found in violation of customs or immigration laws or other federal import laws?" is defined as including refusal into US.
Where does it say that refusal into the US is a violation of customs or immigration laws? I was refused entry into the US twice (both before 2001) and answered "no" to that question when applying and renewing. No problems.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 10:17 am
ALW

Where does it say that refusal into the US is a violation of customs or immigration laws?
The popup explaining that question gives a bunch of reasons and refusal into US is one of them. Note that it also says "any immigration documentation issues" (I know TN is a non-immigrant status but I suspect that's not what they mean). ...here https://www.screencast.com/t/vPRsZc3lJ

That's why I was highlighting it, the explanation includes something that most people (okay, I ) wouldn't consider to apply. But for all I know, a lawyer might say that presenting yourself at the border with inadequate documentation for a TN-status application is technically a violation of immigration law.

=aw
Old Nov 5, 2017, 3:29 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ALW
The popup explaining that question gives a bunch of reasons and refusal into US is one of them. Note that it also says "any immigration documentation issues" (I know TN is a non-immigrant status but I suspect that's not what they mean). ...here https://www.screencast.com/t/vPRsZc3lJ

That's why I was highlighting it, the explanation includes something that most people (okay, I ) wouldn't consider to apply. But for all I know, a lawyer might say that presenting yourself at the border with inadequate documentation for a TN-status application is technically a violation of immigration law.

=aw
IMO TN being a non-immigrant visa has no bearing to the screenshot.

What do you meant earlier when you indicated you did not obtain TN status? Were you declared inadmissible by CBP? If so, you ought to include that as 1.), CBP would already have a record of incident (and subsequently allowing entry) and 2.) leaving it out already tells them you are not completely truthful in your application.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 10:21 pm
ALW

That's exactly what I was thinking. While neither confirming nor denying that the person in question is me , when I saw that description in the pop I immediately thought of the situation to which I referred:

the person applied at a land border for TN status, was rejected due to inadequate documentation, issued a formal denial of entry, and returned the next day with additional material that met the agent's requirements and was granted TN status. The second agent seemed to imply the denial of entry was overkill (vs something along the lines of "maybe you'd like to withdraw your application and go home", for example).

I thought this situation met the requirements for "yes" based on this popup, though it wouldn't be "violation if immigration laws" to this layman. That's why I flagged it here, and wondered if it would turn a routine no-interview renewal into an interview situation. As the popup says "not necessarily disqualifying, but should be noted" and failure to reveal is an issue in itself (a bit like declaring >$10K at the border).

=aw

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.