Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread

Old Mar 3, 2013, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Current NEXUS Information messages can be found in the following thread:

The NEXUS Information Thread

Welcome to the Travel Safety/Security Trusted Travelers Forum Nexus Information Wiki! This resource will appear at the top of every page within this thread to help users learn more about this program.

About NEXUS

NEXUS is designed to expedite the border clearance process for low-risk, pre-approved travellers into Canada and the United States.

The Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA) and U.S. Customs & Border Patrol (CBP) are cooperating in this joint venture to simplify border crossing for members while enhancing security.

Program benefits

If you are approved to participate in NEXUS, you will receive a membership identification card to use when entering Canada or the United States at all designated NEXUS air, land and marine ports of entry.

Membership will enable airline passengers to save time by:
  • using automated self-serve kiosks in dedicated areas at designated international airports;
  • using NEXUS/SENTRI lanes at land crossings when/where available. NEXUS lanes entering Canada will likely have a constant red traffic signal. This is to discourage non-NEXUS members from using the lane. Canada-bound NEXUS land crossing operating hours. All occupants must have NEXUS cards when using NEXUS lane entering Canada. At some locations, the NEXUS lane, the inspection booth is not staffed but there should be a call button. When entering US in a NEXUS/SENTRI lane, all occupants must carry either NEXUS, Global Entry, or SENTRI cards (or any combination thereof). Notable exception is Whirlpool Bridge which requires a NEXUS card to open the toll gate on the Canadian side to cross to the US..
  • As of 17 MAY 2017 - NEXUS members no longer need to complete a paper CBSA Declaration Card (Form E311) when using a NEXUS self-serve kiosk at any Canadian airport where NEXUS is available. (Refer to post #10421)
  • using the Trusted Traveller Canadian Air Transport Security Authority (CATSA) Security Line at major and select medium-sized Canadian airports to expedite airport pre boarding security screening. For detailed information, please visit the CATSA Web site.

Join NEXUS

Here are the steps for becoming a member. There is a non-refundable processing fee of CAN$50 or US$50 per applicant for a five-year membership card.

About NEXUS
Eligibility
How to apply
Enrolment process

Key points about the program as found by forum members:
  • NEXUS cardholders must advise of ANY changes to their vital information such as passport numbers/validity, visa status, legal names, primary residence, criminal convictions, and employment if it impacts your eligibility in the program.
  • It's normal to find the first in-person NEXUS interview to be months into the future, but a little patience and regular checks on the TTP website almost always yields an interview date much sooner.
  • Each person who wants to participate in the NEXUS program must fill out a separate application form. There is no fee for applicants under the age of 18.
  • If traveling with non-NEXUS family members NEXUS cardholders are required to use the regular customs lines.
  • There is a zero tolerance policy and membership can be terminated for infractions including not having your NEXUS card on you and using the NEXUS lane and not declaring items on your customs declaration card, though members have reported some leniency being granted for such infractions in the past.
  • Private companies may offer services for submitting your application and charge an additional processing fee but these extra charges are not part of the official NEXUS application fee. Expedited services offered by such companies will not assist in speeding up the application process.

Updating Passport with Canada for NEXUS

As per CBSA website, updates to passport information can be handled on TTP.
Please note that NEXUS members are not required to report to an Enrolment Centre to update or change their passport information with the CBSA.
This is supported by data points in post 11122 and 11132.

Some FT members don't trust instructions provided by CBSA and recommend the following:
Call the Canadian Processing Centre with responsibility for residents of the United States:
  • 800-842-7647 --- Monday to Friday, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm (Eastern Time)

After going through the phone tree to reach a Nexus representative, advise them that you need to update your US passport with Canada.

The representative will give you an email address and instructions to scan your updated passport picture page (include your trusted traveler number on the scan) and then email it to a particular email address. I was advised to put the representative's name in the email message so that he could process the update on the Canadian side. He confirmed that any passport update in TTP does not reach Canada. NOTE: FT members have been able to enter Canada without any issues by updating passport online only.

He specifically requested that only the telephone number be posted (and not the email address).

In case the telephone number doesn't work, here's the webpage where the phone number is posted: Canada Border Services Agency - NEXUS - General Information
Note:

US citizens/residents who have both Global Entry and NEXUS cards and who renew the Global Entry membership whilst their NEXUS card is active, will not be able to renew the NEXUS card until after it expires. The option to do so disappears from the TTP website.
Dear mxzblftspk,

Your NEXUS membership is not set to expire until July 11 2016.

As an approved NEXUS member, you added Global Entry for an additional $100. When you completed your Global Entry application, you received a Global Entry card. When you activated the Global Entry Card, your NEXUS Card was deactivated and the option to renew NEXUS was removed from your account.

If you wish to renew NEXUS, you will have to wait for your NEXUS membership to expire. Once it expires, you will have the option within your TTP online account to renew NEXUS. After you follow all of the steps to become a NEXUS member again, including the completion of an interview at a NEXUS Enrollment Center near the Canadian border, you will receive a new NEXUS card and will have Global Entry benefits at no additional cost.

When your Global Entry account expires 5 years after your application, do not renew it. Global Entry benefits are included with your NEXUS membership.

It is our goal to provide you the best information we have in response to your question. If you follow the information provided in our response, and still need assistance, please reply to this email and we will investigate how we may further assist you.

Thank you again for contacting the CBP INFO Center.

Sincerely,

CBP INFO Center
Print Wikipost

Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread

Old Sep 13, 2017, 2:48 pm

Programs: EY
How long have you been a permanent resident? With limited exceptions, you have to have been a PR for three years before the application date.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 11:17 pm

Hi xobile, I landed in Nov 2015. But I do not see such requirement on CBP website or CBSA website. Anyhow, I did not get any valuable information on this forum. My best bet is to visit Enrollment center so I am planning tomorrow. Hopefully, I will be able to figure out what actually the cause of rejection ?

If anyone else has similar experience, please share or anyone previously denied entry to US and later he got NEXUS ? Thanks everyone.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 5:56 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, AC 25K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by stress
Hi xobile, I landed in Nov 2015. But I do not see such requirement on CBP website or CBSA website. Anyhow, I did not get any valuable information on this forum. My best bet is to visit Enrollment center so I am planning tomorrow. Hopefully, I will be able to figure out what actually the cause of rejection ?

If anyone else has similar experience, please share or anyone previously denied entry to US and later he got NEXUS ? Thanks everyone.
The requirement is there. PRs of either country must have resided in that country for at least 3 years to be eligible for NEXUS, with some very limited exceptions.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by xobile
How long have you been a permanent resident? With limited exceptions, you have to have been a PR for three years before the application date.
Hi xobile, I landed in Nov 2015. But I do not see such requirement on CBP website or CBSA website. Anyhow, I did not get any valuable information on this forum.
Wow, harsh. Maybe look a little more carefully? Here is one place:

However, permanent residents who do not fall within an exempted group are reminded that the three-year residency requirement still applies.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 9:54 am

Programs: EY
Originally Posted by Rare
Wow, harsh. Maybe look a little more carefully? Here is one place:
Yeah, seriously..I don't know why OP is crapping on everyone despite us offering help. If you don't want to believe there's a 3 year residency requirement for PRs, that's your problem. It's there on the webpage, but not clear, admittedly. I know someone who was rejected for that exact reason, so I'm speaking from experience.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by xobile
Yeah, seriously..I don't know why OP is crapping on everyone despite us offering help. If you don't want to believe there's a 3 year residency requirement for PRs, that's your problem. It's there on the webpage, but not clear, admittedly. I know someone who was rejected for that exact reason, so I'm speaking from experience.
Relax, everyone. With a little reflection, it's pretty clear that what does, admittedy, seem like rudeness from the OP is actually an inocuous statement from someone for whom English is a foreign language. It's very unlikely that the OP meant to cause offense.
CKDGM likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 6:22 pm

NabeelJ,Rare
Bro, I have already been accepted by Canadian immigration for NEXUS. I been rejected by US immigration(CBP). So there is no residency conflict here. I visited today Enrollment Center and met with one CBP officer because his Supervisor was not in office today and he tried to help me to figure out whats going on but unfortunately he did not have full access so he recommended me to come back and meet with my Supervisor because he has all access to all information.

I am guessing that my past US immigration record is popping up and stopping them to approve it. As I said, i was denied entry in past even I had valid documentation including valid stamped H1B. I was not told clearly whey I been deported. Lets c. Now my concern is that if it will be that then how can I clear it from CBP data base ? As I was not fault at all. Thanks for your reply guys. Appreciated.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 7:29 pm

I have already been accepted by Canadian immigration for NEXUS. I been rejected by US immigration(CBP). So there is no residency conflict here. I visited today Enrollment Center and met with one CBP officer because his Supervisor was not in office today and he tried to help me to figure out whats going on but unfortunately he did not have full access so he recommended me to come back and meet with my Supervisor because he has all access to all information.
Thanks for the update and clarification. Glad you found a helpful officer. Sorry no one was able to help you here; you seem to have a somewhat unique situation. Please report back after you meet with the supervisor; perhaps someone else will be helped by what you learn. Good luck!
Old Sep 14, 2017, 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by ChopSuey
I noticed on this web site that a lot of people have questions regarding the NEXUS program. I think it would be a good idea to start a thread to answer people's questions regarding the NEXUS program and to supply information on how the NEXUS program works.

Here are some links to information on the NEXUS program (updated Aug 18th, 2009):

NEXUS Information - Canada Border Service Agency
NEXUS Information - U.S. Customs and Border Protection
NEXUS Information Guide (PDF Version)
NEXUS Application (PDF Version)
NEXUS Online Application (GOES)

The cost of applying for NEXUS is currently $50. There are over 250,000 people who are currently using NEXUS. NEXUS members must renew their application every five years.
Originally Posted by Rare
Thanks for the update and clarification. Glad you found a helpful officer. Sorry no one was able to help you here; you seem to have a somewhat unique situation. Please report back after you meet with the supervisor; perhaps someone else will be helped by what you learn. Good luck!

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Sure I will share the information but I am not sure how complex my matter is and it is resolvable or not ? In fact the officer I met was willing to help but it was out of his reach but I am not sure how his Supervisor will treat me ? Lets hope for the best.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 9:54 am

Programs: AAdvantage, United MC, Delta SkyMiles
What kind of questions will be asked on a standard NEXUS interview?

Has anyone been asked about their employment history or about being unemployed during the application process?
Old Sep 15, 2017, 11:03 am

Programs: Amex, JPMR, Nexus
Originally Posted by mrnolancraig
What kind of questions will be asked on a standard NEXUS interview?

Has anyone been asked about their employment history or about being unemployed during the application process?
Definitely! The Canadian side was particularly interested in my purpose to visit Canada often as well as the nature of my profession. They are especially sensitive to "business" travelers and try to figure out if any of your activities can be classified as "gainful". Fortunately, Canada happens to be my preferred weekend getaway destination.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 12:36 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, United MC, Delta SkyMiles
Originally Posted by greglvnv
Definitely! The Canadian side was particularly interested in my purpose to visit Canada often as well as the nature of my profession. They are especially sensitive to "business" travelers and try to figure out if any of your activities can be classified as "gainful". Fortunately, Canada happens to be my preferred weekend getaway destination.
What about for Canadian Citizens who are applying for NEXUS? What does each border agent ask those people?
Old Sep 15, 2017, 8:40 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond Mariott Plat UA Silver Aeroplan E25K SAS Gold NEXUS
Originally Posted by mrnolancraig
What about for Canadian Citizens who are applying for NEXUS? What does each border agent ask those people?
I was asked why I wanted Nexus by the American agent (he meant for business or tourist reasons, I answered first that I was just looking to save time then he clarified what his question meant). No other questions at the interview just some instructions about how to declare goods and to be careful to make sure to stay up to date on the program rules. The Canadian agent was quite helpful in explaining that you can bring as much as you want in groceries on a same day trip except for the limits on chicken, eggs and dairy, that kind of thing. That was really about it.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 3:01 pm

All,
An Update to those who were interacting with me previously. Sorry, detail is little lengthy and I want to explain so that all of you be aware with this vague system.

My NEXUS card was approved by Canadian Immigration and Rejected by US. I visited Enrollment center to meet CBP Supervisor. First thing is, he was not cooperative or supportive at all. He was kind of a rude through out the time I spent with him. He surprised me when he said that refusal of any visa including Tourist or H1B in past by US embassy is also a violation of Immigration laws while in reality and as per law, this is not violation of any law. He started like this

" Sir, rejection of Nexus Card does not mean that you have something bad in your record, it could be your associates too. if you have any interaction in past with a bad record guy, or you have any email conversation with the person who is in US hit list, or if you have any interaction through social media with any kind of this person"

Then I told him, my record is very clean and i did not have any interaction with any one like this. He was not even ready to check my record in his system. Then I mentioned him that I was denied entry to US in past even I had proper documentation with proper visa. Then he suddenly replied " oh yes, this is the reason your card was rejected".

He asked me why I was denied entry to US and I told him, I do not know and I showed him all previous documents. I said here are my all the documents including visa on which I traveled and then he start looking into his system and after a while he said, your entry was denied because US consulate revoked your visa. I asked him" Why they did not inform me in that time and I traveled all the way to US and spent my money ? he replied, I cannot say anything about Embassy. Then I told him, I will hire a lawyer and fight for this. He said that sir, when your entry was denied, it could be thought of Immigration officer that might be you are doing a Fraud or your employer is involved in wrong activities. I asked him, only on thoughts an immigration officer can make an innocent person guilty ? Then he said, your file is saying that you have paid your employer for VISA, I told him I did not. This is not true.

Means on every step, he was changing his statement and his statements were contradictory and it seems that he was not ready to help me. At the end when I said that I will hire a lawyer to clean my record because this was not my faulty and I do not need the card but the blame on me that I violate US immigration laws is not justice to me. Then he gave me another surprised answer. " Just put this in this way. Even if you clean your all immigration record, still you are not eligible for NEXUS card". I asked why ? He replied I cannot tell you that. That is confidential.

This all conversation was shock for me. I do not know what to do now ? Any suggestion will be well come

Finally a request to CBP officers if they are here on this forum too "It is very easy for you to reject anyone in seconds but it is very hard for that person to bear this stress. please help the people rather than putting them in stress and depression only for vague information. Thanks

Last edited by stress; Sep 17, 2017 at 6:38 pm
Old Sep 17, 2017, 4:53 pm

Programs: Amex, JPMR, Nexus
You have two options: write to the Ombudsman and hire one of those attorneys that deal with GE/Nexus revocations.

Last edited by greglvnv; Sep 17, 2017 at 11:22 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.