Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 3, 2013, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Current NEXUS Information messages can be found in the following thread:

The NEXUS Information Thread

Welcome to the Travel Safety/Security Trusted Travelers Forum Nexus Information Wiki! This resource will appear at the top of every page within this thread to help users learn more about this program.

About NEXUS

NEXUS is designed to expedite the border clearance process for low-risk, pre-approved travellers into Canada and the United States.

The Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA) and U.S. Customs & Border Patrol (CBP) are cooperating in this joint venture to simplify border crossing for members while enhancing security.

Program benefits

If you are approved to participate in NEXUS, you will receive a membership identification card to use when entering Canada or the United States at all designated NEXUS air, land and marine ports of entry.

Membership will enable airline passengers to save time by:
  • using automated self-serve kiosks in dedicated areas at designated international airports;
  • using NEXUS/SENTRI lanes at land crossings when/where available. NEXUS lanes entering Canada will likely have a constant red traffic signal. This is to discourage non-NEXUS members from using the lane. Canada-bound NEXUS land crossing operating hours. All occupants must have NEXUS cards when using NEXUS lane entering Canada. At some locations, the NEXUS lane, the inspection booth is not staffed but there should be a call button. When entering US in a NEXUS/SENTRI lane, all occupants must carry either NEXUS, Global Entry, or SENTRI cards (or any combination thereof). Notable exception is Whirlpool Bridge which requires a NEXUS card to open the toll gate on the Canadian side to cross to the US..
  • As of 17 MAY 2017 - NEXUS members no longer need to complete a paper CBSA Declaration Card (Form E311) when using a NEXUS self-serve kiosk at any Canadian airport where NEXUS is available. (Refer to post #10421)
  • using the Trusted Traveller Canadian Air Transport Security Authority (CATSA) Security Line at major and select medium-sized Canadian airports to expedite airport pre boarding security screening. For detailed information, please visit the CATSA Web site.

Join NEXUS

Here are the steps for becoming a member. There is a non-refundable processing fee of CAN$50 or US$50 per applicant for a five-year membership card.

About NEXUS
Eligibility
How to apply
Enrolment process

Key points about the program as found by forum members:
  • NEXUS cardholders must advise of ANY changes to their vital information such as passport numbers/validity, visa status, legal names, primary residence, criminal convictions, and employment if it impacts your eligibility in the program.
  • It's normal to find the first in-person NEXUS interview to be months into the future, but a little patience and regular checks on the TTP website almost always yields an interview date much sooner.
  • Each person who wants to participate in the NEXUS program must fill out a separate application form. There is no fee for applicants under the age of 18.
  • If traveling with non-NEXUS family members NEXUS cardholders are required to use the regular customs lines.
  • There is a zero tolerance policy and membership can be terminated for infractions including not having your NEXUS card on you and using the NEXUS lane and not declaring items on your customs declaration card, though members have reported some leniency being granted for such infractions in the past.
  • Private companies may offer services for submitting your application and charge an additional processing fee but these extra charges are not part of the official NEXUS application fee. Expedited services offered by such companies will not assist in speeding up the application process.

Updating Passport with Canada for NEXUS

As per CBSA website, updates to passport information can be handled on TTP.
Please note that NEXUS members are not required to report to an Enrolment Centre to update or change their passport information with the CBSA.
This is supported by data points in post 11122 and 11132.

Some FT members don't trust instructions provided by CBSA and recommend the following:
Call the Canadian Processing Centre with responsibility for residents of the United States:
  • 800-842-7647 --- Monday to Friday, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm (Eastern Time)

After going through the phone tree to reach a Nexus representative, advise them that you need to update your US passport with Canada.

The representative will give you an email address and instructions to scan your updated passport picture page (include your trusted traveler number on the scan) and then email it to a particular email address. I was advised to put the representative's name in the email message so that he could process the update on the Canadian side. He confirmed that any passport update in TTP does not reach Canada. NOTE: FT members have been able to enter Canada without any issues by updating passport online only.

He specifically requested that only the telephone number be posted (and not the email address).

In case the telephone number doesn't work, here's the webpage where the phone number is posted: Canada Border Services Agency - NEXUS - General Information
Note:

US citizens/residents who have both Global Entry and NEXUS cards and who renew the Global Entry membership whilst their NEXUS card is active, will not be able to renew the NEXUS card until after it expires. The option to do so disappears from the TTP website.
Dear mxzblftspk,

Your NEXUS membership is not set to expire until July 11 2016.

As an approved NEXUS member, you added Global Entry for an additional $100. When you completed your Global Entry application, you received a Global Entry card. When you activated the Global Entry Card, your NEXUS Card was deactivated and the option to renew NEXUS was removed from your account.

If you wish to renew NEXUS, you will have to wait for your NEXUS membership to expire. Once it expires, you will have the option within your TTP online account to renew NEXUS. After you follow all of the steps to become a NEXUS member again, including the completion of an interview at a NEXUS Enrollment Center near the Canadian border, you will receive a new NEXUS card and will have Global Entry benefits at no additional cost.

When your Global Entry account expires 5 years after your application, do not renew it. Global Entry benefits are included with your NEXUS membership.

It is our goal to provide you the best information we have in response to your question. If you follow the information provided in our response, and still need assistance, please reply to this email and we will investigate how we may further assist you.

Thank you again for contacting the CBP INFO Center.

Sincerely,

CBP INFO Center
Print Wikipost

Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2013, 7:32 am

Programs: AC*SE, Marco Polo Gold, SPG Gold, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by CarNut
The short answer is maybe. My partner had the same surgery about 2 1/2 years ago, and sometimes the retina machines work and sometimes they don't. I'd say it's about 60/40 tilted towards not working.
Interesting outcome. I have Implantable Corrective Lenses (ICLs) / Intraocular Lenses (IOL) - my understanding is that this is essentially the same process, except they leave the natural lens in place for my procedure - and my success rate is about 90/10 for the retinal scan.

FWIW, my ICLs were inserted *after* my original retinal scan was captured 5 years ago, so the system is normally able to sort through the extra 'noise' of the implanted contact lens. Maybe a new retina scan would help the success rate after a RLE procedure?

In any case, good luck with the 'new' eyes
Old Dec 17, 2013, 3:27 pm

Location: SEA, or BOS, or MUC, or other places (probably connecting). "Detroit, Michigan is in the Eastern time zone."
Programs: DL PM/1MM, AS 100K, NEXUS/GE, CLEAR, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by RunningWithScissors
retinal scan
Nitpick: it's an iris scan, not a retina scan.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 4:14 pm

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
I have Nexus/GE, and I got a new passport. I used GE YEG-DEN and Nexus on the way back into YEG from SJD... Didn't update any information about my new passport with Nexus or with GE and both worked fine. Any other experiences in regarding this? Am I supposed to update something?
Old Dec 17, 2013, 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by SKYEG
I have Nexus/GE, and I got a new passport. I used GE YEG-DEN and Nexus on the way back into YEG from SJD... Didn't update any information about my new passport with Nexus or with GE and both worked fine. Any other experiences in regarding this? Am I supposed to update something?
I thought you HAVE TO notify them, or update online (?), or visit office anytime to notify the change, otherwise you violate the NEXUS rule?
Old Dec 18, 2013, 5:05 am

Originally Posted by RunningWithScissors
Interesting outcome. I have Implantable Corrective Lenses (ICLs) / Intraocular Lenses (IOL) - my understanding is that this is essentially the same process, except they leave the natural lens in place for my procedure - and my success rate is about 90/10 for the retinal scan.

FWIW, my ICLs were inserted *after* my original retinal scan was captured 5 years ago, so the system is normally able to sort through the extra 'noise' of the implanted contact lens. Maybe a new retina scan would help the success rate after a RLE procedure?

In any case, good luck with the 'new' eyes
Mine was an IOL -- intra-ocular lens -- replacement surgery. Natural lens sucked out, permanent lens inserted.

I got up today for the first time in 34 years and didn't have to reach for glasses or put contacts in. Kind of weird. A bit fuzzy so far, but so far I like what I "see."

I think I will just go up to Pearson one day in early January, put myself on the day-list, and just ask to try the machine in the office again. Will call CBSA first to ask.

I'll report back.

Thanks for the nitpick on iris-vs-retinal...
Old Dec 18, 2013, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by jerryhung
I thought you HAVE TO notify them, or update online (?), or visit office anytime to notify the change, otherwise you violate the NEXUS rule?
I didn't know this I'll update online tonight?!
Old Dec 18, 2013, 8:55 pm

US Citizen into Canada via Land Mode Over Personal Exemption

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/prog/nexu...terre-eng.html says:

--
U.S. residents
If you are a NEXUS member and a U.S. resident entering Canada with goods that are part of your personal entitlement, you must use the designated NEXUS lane. If you have goods that exceed your personal entitlement, you must use the regular lanes to declare your goods.
--

Called the NEXUS help line and the Canadian agent said that I could use declare in the NEXUS line and be directed to secondary. Is the website incorrect? While I'd like to avoid the regular lane during rush hour I'd prefer to keep the card!
Old Dec 19, 2013, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by InTheAirGuy
Mine was an IOL -- intra-ocular lens -- replacement surgery. Natural lens sucked out, permanent lens inserted.

I got up today for the first time in 34 years and didn't have to reach for glasses or put contacts in. Kind of weird. A bit fuzzy so far, but so far I like what I "see."

I think I will just go up to Pearson one day in early January, put myself on the day-list, and just ask to try the machine in the office again. Will call CBSA first to ask.

I'll report back.

Thanks for the nitpick on iris-vs-retinal...
Not sure how the test machines in the Nexus office work, but its possible that it may not reflect a check into the actual system to match and just that it lets you continue once it successfully does a scan.

In the US, at least, when I got my fingerprints scanned for GE at ORD, I was told when asking if it should work right away that it should, but that it working in the test kiosk in the office doesn't necessarily prove that, as it is not connected into the live system. Essentially, the test one lets you continue after properly reading any fingerprints/passport, including those belonging to non-GE members.
Old Dec 20, 2013, 8:27 am

Programs: AC*SE, Marco Polo Gold, SPG Gold, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by CKDGM
Nitpick: it's an iris scan, not a retina scan.
Great point, never noted that distinction before. As such, all of the IOL stuff that happens behind the iris, and actually within the eye (natural lens present or removed) should be irrelevant to the iris scan & match (after any swelling from the procedure goes down).

Actually leaves the question of why some people report only 60/40 success as more of a puzzle than ever...
Old Dec 20, 2013, 5:36 pm
B1

I didn't know this I'll update online tonight?!
The GOES site lets you update passport information if you registered from the US side. If you registered with a Canadian passport, my experience was that they want to see you in person. In any case, the agents remind you to do it - they don't seem to consider it a big issue.
Old Dec 21, 2013, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by B1
The GOES site lets you update passport information if you registered from the US side. If you registered with a Canadian passport, my experience was that they want to see you in person. In any case, the agents remind you to do it - they don't seem to consider it a big issue.
It just let me update it online, on the "update documents" page. submitted the info and it just said my information has been updated, and it shows my new passport info now. You think I should still go in?
Old Dec 21, 2013, 4:22 pm

Programs: AC 25K, Aeroplan Amex Reserve
It just let me update it online, on the "update documents" page. submitted the info and it just said my information has been updated, and it shows my new passport info now. You think I should still go in?
The latest Nexus guide on the CBSA site indicates that updating passport info on GOES is all that is required. You do not need to visit the office.
Old Dec 29, 2013, 10:08 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Originally Posted by FinsToTheLeft
The latest Nexus guide on the CBSA site indicates that updating passport info on GOES is all that is required. You do not need to visit the office.
The Americans insist on the visit
Old Dec 30, 2013, 5:40 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, AA, BA, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum, IHG, Hertz 5*
We have finally applied for the whole family (4 of us) for nexus. We 're nearest Seattle. How long should we expect the status of 'Pending Review' before we can schedule an interview?
Old Dec 31, 2013, 10:32 am

Six weeks and my Nexus has been approved for renewal. They tell me they are mailing a new card and I may use it immediately upon receipt.

No mention of an interview, so I presume one is not necessary!

Yay!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.