Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 3, 2013, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Current NEXUS Information messages can be found in the following thread:

The NEXUS Information Thread

Welcome to the Travel Safety/Security Trusted Travelers Forum Nexus Information Wiki! This resource will appear at the top of every page within this thread to help users learn more about this program.

About NEXUS

NEXUS is designed to expedite the border clearance process for low-risk, pre-approved travellers into Canada and the United States.

The Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA) and U.S. Customs & Border Patrol (CBP) are cooperating in this joint venture to simplify border crossing for members while enhancing security.

Program benefits

If you are approved to participate in NEXUS, you will receive a membership identification card to use when entering Canada or the United States at all designated NEXUS air, land and marine ports of entry.

Membership will enable airline passengers to save time by:
  • using automated self-serve kiosks in dedicated areas at designated international airports;
  • using NEXUS/SENTRI lanes at land crossings when/where available. NEXUS lanes entering Canada will likely have a constant red traffic signal. This is to discourage non-NEXUS members from using the lane. Canada-bound NEXUS land crossing operating hours. All occupants must have NEXUS cards when using NEXUS lane entering Canada. At some locations, the NEXUS lane, the inspection booth is not staffed but there should be a call button. When entering US in a NEXUS/SENTRI lane, all occupants must carry either NEXUS, Global Entry, or SENTRI cards (or any combination thereof). Notable exception is Whirlpool Bridge which requires a NEXUS card to open the toll gate on the Canadian side to cross to the US..
  • As of 17 MAY 2017 - NEXUS members no longer need to complete a paper CBSA Declaration Card (Form E311) when using a NEXUS self-serve kiosk at any Canadian airport where NEXUS is available. (Refer to post #10421)
  • using the Trusted Traveller Canadian Air Transport Security Authority (CATSA) Security Line at major and select medium-sized Canadian airports to expedite airport pre boarding security screening. For detailed information, please visit the CATSA Web site.

Join NEXUS

Here are the steps for becoming a member. There is a non-refundable processing fee of CAN$50 or US$50 per applicant for a five-year membership card.

About NEXUS
Eligibility
How to apply
Enrolment process

Key points about the program as found by forum members:
  • NEXUS cardholders must advise of ANY changes to their vital information such as passport numbers/validity, visa status, legal names, primary residence, criminal convictions, and employment if it impacts your eligibility in the program.
  • It's normal to find the first in-person NEXUS interview to be months into the future, but a little patience and regular checks on the TTP website almost always yields an interview date much sooner.
  • Each person who wants to participate in the NEXUS program must fill out a separate application form. There is no fee for applicants under the age of 18.
  • If traveling with non-NEXUS family members NEXUS cardholders are required to use the regular customs lines.
  • There is a zero tolerance policy and membership can be terminated for infractions including not having your NEXUS card on you and using the NEXUS lane and not declaring items on your customs declaration card, though members have reported some leniency being granted for such infractions in the past.
  • Private companies may offer services for submitting your application and charge an additional processing fee but these extra charges are not part of the official NEXUS application fee. Expedited services offered by such companies will not assist in speeding up the application process.

Updating Passport with Canada for NEXUS

As per CBSA website, updates to passport information can be handled on TTP.
Please note that NEXUS members are not required to report to an Enrolment Centre to update or change their passport information with the CBSA.
This is supported by data points in post 11122 and 11132.

Some FT members don't trust instructions provided by CBSA and recommend the following:
Call the Canadian Processing Centre with responsibility for residents of the United States:
  • 800-842-7647 --- Monday to Friday, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm (Eastern Time)

After going through the phone tree to reach a Nexus representative, advise them that you need to update your US passport with Canada.

The representative will give you an email address and instructions to scan your updated passport picture page (include your trusted traveler number on the scan) and then email it to a particular email address. I was advised to put the representative's name in the email message so that he could process the update on the Canadian side. He confirmed that any passport update in TTP does not reach Canada. NOTE: FT members have been able to enter Canada without any issues by updating passport online only.

He specifically requested that only the telephone number be posted (and not the email address).

In case the telephone number doesn't work, here's the webpage where the phone number is posted: Canada Border Services Agency - NEXUS - General Information
Note:

US citizens/residents who have both Global Entry and NEXUS cards and who renew the Global Entry membership whilst their NEXUS card is active, will not be able to renew the NEXUS card until after it expires. The option to do so disappears from the TTP website.
Dear mxzblftspk,

Your NEXUS membership is not set to expire until July 11 2016.

As an approved NEXUS member, you added Global Entry for an additional $100. When you completed your Global Entry application, you received a Global Entry card. When you activated the Global Entry Card, your NEXUS Card was deactivated and the option to renew NEXUS was removed from your account.

If you wish to renew NEXUS, you will have to wait for your NEXUS membership to expire. Once it expires, you will have the option within your TTP online account to renew NEXUS. After you follow all of the steps to become a NEXUS member again, including the completion of an interview at a NEXUS Enrollment Center near the Canadian border, you will receive a new NEXUS card and will have Global Entry benefits at no additional cost.

When your Global Entry account expires 5 years after your application, do not renew it. Global Entry benefits are included with your NEXUS membership.

It is our goal to provide you the best information we have in response to your question. If you follow the information provided in our response, and still need assistance, please reply to this email and we will investigate how we may further assist you.

Thank you again for contacting the CBP INFO Center.

Sincerely,

CBP INFO Center
Print Wikipost

Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2009, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yyzvoyageur
Many FAs and pilots have Nexus.
I'm assuming you're speaking of AC crew. My discussions have been mostly with UA or UAX crew.
Old Sep 13, 2009, 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by LessO2
I'm assuming you're speaking of AC crew.
Indeed.
Old Sep 15, 2009, 10:58 am

First time doing a land crossing tomorrow.

Do I have to complete a TDC - traveller declaration card -- if I have nothing to declare, i.e. I'm not bringing anything into Canada, other than my personal effects?
Old Sep 15, 2009, 11:33 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by InTheAirGuy

Do I have to complete a TDC - traveller declaration card -- if I have nothing to declare, i.e. I'm not bringing anything into Canada, other than my personal effects?
Nope - not needed.
Old Sep 15, 2009, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold

The only thing you can acquire and not declare is fuel for your vehicle.
Old Sep 15, 2009, 2:52 pm
B1

What to do at each Niagara crossing

If you are using the Whirlpool Bridge and entering Canada, you have to park and go to the little house on the right before getting on the bridge on the US side, and put your card on the stand and feed money into the machine. Then you use your NEXUS card to pay the toll.
When you use a NEXUS line to enter Canada, even if you have your card and hold it up and have nothing to declare, you must stop at the inspector until you are cleared.
If you use the Lewiston-Queenston Bridge there is no NEXUS line but your toll money in the NEXUS card is usable.
If you use the Rainbow Bridge, there is a NEXUS line and the toll can be paid with the NEXUS money.
If you use the Peace Bridge, there is a NEXUS line but the NEXUS money is not accepted.
If you are entering the US via a NEXUS line, you stop and make a verbal declaration - a much easier system.
You are also subject to random searches, no matter what you declare. Bring a passport.
Old Sep 15, 2009, 4:38 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, UA 1K, HERTZ Presidents Circle
Can I still use my nexus card now that I am newly landed immigrant to Canada and do I need to update anything except for my address. Also wondering while waiting on my PR card to arrive can I travel back from the US just using my Nexus card. Don't want to jeopardize my PR status if I am dong something wrong.
Old Sep 16, 2009, 5:57 pm

Question Why no NEXUS option for APIS data?

Don't know if this has been answered yet:

When traveling to certain countries, AC requires you to provide advance passenger information during OLCI.

Why is NEXUS not one of the accepted IDs? So far, the website only accepts a passport number. (Specifically, I refer to travel between Canada and the US.)

Last edited by okazon69; Sep 16, 2009 at 6:18 pm Reason: Clarified countries referred to.
Old Sep 16, 2009, 6:04 pm

Programs: ACMM / Altitude S100K / HH Diamond
Likely because depending on the country, they have no knowledge of, nor do they give a rat's ... about NEXUS ... I know if I was in the EU I sure would not!

Why support a form that is only accepted for 2 countries - as opposed to one accepted by all. Doubt that an EU country would have access to the Nexus database for corroboration.
Old Sep 16, 2009, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by okazon69
Don't know if this has been answered yet:

When traveling to certain countries, AC requires you to provide advance passenger information during OLCI.

Why is NEXUS not one of the accepted IDs? So far, the website only accepts a passport number. (Specifically, I refer to travel between Canada and the US.)
Also, more recently, noticeably in the last year or so, I have had trouble using my Nexus as ID when checking in with AC agents, particularly at EWR, as they seem to want passports. US airline's have pretty much always been this way, as most don't really know about Nexus. But where in the past I haven't had trouble with AC, I have been more recently. Not to mention, the check in kiosk's, both US-based carriers, and one's like at YYZ can't seem to read the coding on Nexus cards, even though it seems to be just like those on passports. I figure, though, it doesn't make much of a difference to me, as really, you have to have your passport with you anyway.

On the other hand, ironically Porter does (or at least used to) allow you to use a Nexus number when inputting your info. online, even though you can't use Nexus when traveling with them, as you can't preclear US customs, and there is no Nexus machine at YTZ. Go Figure!
Old Sep 17, 2009, 7:17 am

Programs: SPG Gold;NWA gold;Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by emcampbe
Also, more recently, noticeably in the last year or so, I have had trouble using my Nexus as ID when checking in with AC agents, particularly at EWR, as they seem to want passports. US airline's have pretty much always been this way, as most don't really know about Nexus.
Thats what I've found. I just go ahead and scan my passport and show it to them at the gate. Even at YYZ, I've found some gate agents that demand to see a passport.

You're required to carry it anyways, so I just show it.
Old Sep 17, 2009, 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by goaliemn
Thats what I've found. I just go ahead and scan my passport and show it to them at the gate. Even at YYZ, I've found some gate agents that demand to see a passport.

You're required to carry it anyways, so I just show it.
I make a point of using only my NEXUS card anywhere in the US, be it at check in or security. It is, after all, one of the accepted forms of identification. More ranting about that in the TS&S forum, however.
Old Sep 18, 2009, 9:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by okazon69
I make a point of using only my NEXUS card anywhere in the US, be it at check in or security. It is, after all, one of the accepted forms of identification. More ranting about that in the TS&S forum, however.
Funny thing is, while I've had all the trouble with airline personal accepting them, I've noticed now that security, when I show it there, for the most part seems to realize this is an accepted form of ID now.

So, if you make a point of using it in the US at check-in, how do you use it? From my experience, as I mentioned previously, machines won't read Nexus cards - and agents won't accept them either. So how do you get the machines to see it. And how do you convince the agents to accept? And furthermore, is it really worth the trouble. Since really, you need to have your passport with you anyway, isn't convincing them to accept it more trouble than its worth?
Old Sep 23, 2009, 10:15 pm

Nexus Interview and couple other questions

Hello,

I have been "conditionally approved" does this mean I'm pretty much getting a Nexus card? I'm assuming at this point I've passed all the back ground checks and all the information on my application have been confirmed?

As for the Nexus interview, what types of questions do they ask? Do they grill you?

Also, another random question, just incase someone is able to answer it. I am up in Canada visiting my husband a couple months at a time and I was told that you are allowed to stay in Canada as a US citizen 6 months at a time, and as long as I went back to the US for a bit and came back that would okay. So I've been going back to the US every couple of months. But now I'm reading on some websites that it's a maximum of 6 months within a calendar year.

Thank you for your help.
Old Sep 23, 2009, 11:09 pm

You've been conditionally approved. It's just that, conditional subject to your in-person interview.

When you go in you'll be asked "Why do you want a Nexus Card?"

All of your documentatoin will be verified and scanned into thier system. In addition, your fingerprints will be taken and run through various databases. If everything checks out and the officer is satisfied you are a 'trusted traveller' then you will receive full approval. Your photo will be taken and your card will be sent by mail and you will have it in 7-10 days.

Now, not wanting to get personal but since you brought it up... what is your husband's status in Canada? Is he a Canadian citizen or a US citizen in Canada on a work visa?

There was a case on the news recently about a woman who was frequently crossing the border to 'visit' her husband. The last time she was referred to secondary and refused entry as immigration felt she was intending to live and not return to her home. Of course, YMMV.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.