Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread

Old Mar 3, 2013, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Current NEXUS Information messages can be found in the following thread:

The NEXUS Information Thread

Welcome to the Travel Safety/Security Trusted Travelers Forum Nexus Information Wiki! This resource will appear at the top of every page within this thread to help users learn more about this program.

About NEXUS

NEXUS is designed to expedite the border clearance process for low-risk, pre-approved travellers into Canada and the United States.

The Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA) and U.S. Customs & Border Patrol (CBP) are cooperating in this joint venture to simplify border crossing for members while enhancing security.

Program benefits

If you are approved to participate in NEXUS, you will receive a membership identification card to use when entering Canada or the United States at all designated NEXUS air, land and marine ports of entry.

Membership will enable airline passengers to save time by:
  • using automated self-serve kiosks in dedicated areas at designated international airports;
  • using NEXUS/SENTRI lanes at land crossings when/where available. NEXUS lanes entering Canada will likely have a constant red traffic signal. This is to discourage non-NEXUS members from using the lane. Canada-bound NEXUS land crossing operating hours. All occupants must have NEXUS cards when using NEXUS lane entering Canada. At some locations, the NEXUS lane, the inspection booth is not staffed but there should be a call button. When entering US in a NEXUS/SENTRI lane, all occupants must carry either NEXUS, Global Entry, or SENTRI cards (or any combination thereof). Notable exception is Whirlpool Bridge which requires a NEXUS card to open the toll gate on the Canadian side to cross to the US..
  • As of 17 MAY 2017 - NEXUS members no longer need to complete a paper CBSA Declaration Card (Form E311) when using a NEXUS self-serve kiosk at any Canadian airport where NEXUS is available. (Refer to post #10421)
  • using the Trusted Traveller Canadian Air Transport Security Authority (CATSA) Security Line at major and select medium-sized Canadian airports to expedite airport pre boarding security screening. For detailed information, please visit the CATSA Web site.

Join NEXUS

Here are the steps for becoming a member. There is a non-refundable processing fee of CAN$50 or US$50 per applicant for a five-year membership card.

About NEXUS
Eligibility
How to apply
Enrolment process

Key points about the program as found by forum members:
  • NEXUS cardholders must advise of ANY changes to their vital information such as passport numbers/validity, visa status, legal names, primary residence, criminal convictions, and employment if it impacts your eligibility in the program.
  • It's normal to find the first in-person NEXUS interview to be months into the future, but a little patience and regular checks on the TTP website almost always yields an interview date much sooner.
  • Each person who wants to participate in the NEXUS program must fill out a separate application form. There is no fee for applicants under the age of 18.
  • If traveling with non-NEXUS family members NEXUS cardholders are required to use the regular customs lines.
  • There is a zero tolerance policy and membership can be terminated for infractions including not having your NEXUS card on you and using the NEXUS lane and not declaring items on your customs declaration card, though members have reported some leniency being granted for such infractions in the past.
  • Private companies may offer services for submitting your application and charge an additional processing fee but these extra charges are not part of the official NEXUS application fee. Expedited services offered by such companies will not assist in speeding up the application process.

Updating Passport with Canada for NEXUS

As per CBSA website, updates to passport information can be handled on TTP.
Please note that NEXUS members are not required to report to an Enrolment Centre to update or change their passport information with the CBSA.
This is supported by data points in post 11122 and 11132.

Some FT members don't trust instructions provided by CBSA and recommend the following:
Call the Canadian Processing Centre with responsibility for residents of the United States:
  • 800-842-7647 --- Monday to Friday, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm (Eastern Time)

After going through the phone tree to reach a Nexus representative, advise them that you need to update your US passport with Canada.

The representative will give you an email address and instructions to scan your updated passport picture page (include your trusted traveler number on the scan) and then email it to a particular email address. I was advised to put the representative's name in the email message so that he could process the update on the Canadian side. He confirmed that any passport update in TTP does not reach Canada. NOTE: FT members have been able to enter Canada without any issues by updating passport online only.

He specifically requested that only the telephone number be posted (and not the email address).

In case the telephone number doesn't work, here's the webpage where the phone number is posted: Canada Border Services Agency - NEXUS - General Information
Note:

US citizens/residents who have both Global Entry and NEXUS cards and who renew the Global Entry membership whilst their NEXUS card is active, will not be able to renew the NEXUS card until after it expires. The option to do so disappears from the TTP website.
Dear mxzblftspk,

Your NEXUS membership is not set to expire until July 11 2016.

As an approved NEXUS member, you added Global Entry for an additional $100. When you completed your Global Entry application, you received a Global Entry card. When you activated the Global Entry Card, your NEXUS Card was deactivated and the option to renew NEXUS was removed from your account.

If you wish to renew NEXUS, you will have to wait for your NEXUS membership to expire. Once it expires, you will have the option within your TTP online account to renew NEXUS. After you follow all of the steps to become a NEXUS member again, including the completion of an interview at a NEXUS Enrollment Center near the Canadian border, you will receive a new NEXUS card and will have Global Entry benefits at no additional cost.

When your Global Entry account expires 5 years after your application, do not renew it. Global Entry benefits are included with your NEXUS membership.

It is our goal to provide you the best information we have in response to your question. If you follow the information provided in our response, and still need assistance, please reply to this email and we will investigate how we may further assist you.

Thank you again for contacting the CBP INFO Center.

Sincerely,

CBP INFO Center
Print Wikipost

Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread

Old Dec 31, 2015, 12:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sullim4
Are we at the point where TSA will consistently recognize NEXUS cards as valid ID when clearing security checkpoints?

The reason I ask is because REAL ID is going to cause WA state driver licenses from being accepted at some point down the road. I'd prefer to use my NEXUS card to clear security rather than going through the expense of purchasing the EDL and the annoyance of having to carry a license with RFID around with me at all times.

I would expect this to be less of an issue at SEA, but I worry that at smaller airports not near the Canadian border, this could potentially be an issue. Any recent experiences with this?
I don't consistently use my Nexus card at security anymore, but when I do, the acceptance rate when showing it at security has been way higher in the more recent past than several years ago. Even at my home airport of CVG, where you can count the number of daily flights to Canada on one hand. I think one thing that has really helped is when GE started issuing cards as well.

Security is one thing, but don't forget that airlines are another. When flying to or from Canada, airline staff may or may not accept it as valid ID at check in or boarding on flights to/from Canada. I definitely stopped using it there long ago, as the failure rate, even on AC, was quite high.
Old Jan 3, 2016, 11:23 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
Update:

I arrived at YYZ to request the TN, took one look at the general CBP preclearance lines and decided that even if I wasn't sure you could do it through the NEXUS line, it was sure worth a shot.

I lined up for the officer that processes the X's and O's. He responded like it was a completely normal thing for me to request. He had me complete the CBP declaration form that you don't need to do for Global Entry (or which is on the kiosk of GE) and sent me to Secondary, with a comment that after I get the TN, I would need to visit the NEXUS office to add the TN to my record.

In Secondary, it was just time, and I had allowed plenty. All of my materials were in order. He took them and had me sit down and wait while who knows what was happening. Eventually enough of that had happened, and an officer took me down a hall to a little room that turned out to just be where I was to pass the fee through the window and get a receipt.

After I had paid the fee, the officer returned my passport, diploma, etc. and made a point to tell me that he had already updated my NEXUS and I should immediately input "Other" (not B1/B2). That was an unexpected benefit of starting in the NEXUS line. If I had lined up in the general population, I might have just assumed it was on me to update the NEXUS people, and the officer might not have known I had a NEXUS to update.

(Even so, I asked if there was no chance another officer would chew me out for not going to the office, and he said no it was done. I think I still will check, however, as several posts upthread refer to miscommunication of that type.)

For all the posts I've read here and there about YYZ CBP TN processing being challenging and obstructive, the whole thing was very reasonable, I thought.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 1:57 pm

A couple of quick questions (I hope).

Hubby is an American citizen, Canadian permanent resident and Nexus holder who has applied for a new U.S. passport. We'll update the U.S. side on GOES as soon as his new passport arrives. For the Canadian side, we'll be flying to the U.S. from YYZ in a few months so I was thinking we can go to the airport earlier on the day we fly out, to do the update. We'll be returning to Canada in 1 week so will Hubby's passport info be updated by then? We can easily make a separate trip to YYZ if needed, but prefer not to. If this plan will work, does anyone know the typical wait time for document updates on a Saturday afternoon? Our flight is at 2:45pm.

Last edited by jadephoenixx; Jan 4, 2016 at 2:20 pm
Old Jan 5, 2016, 10:42 am

Programs: AC*P25K, NEXUS
Originally Posted by jadephoenixx

Hubby is an American citizen, Canadian permanent resident and Nexus holder who has applied for a new U.S. passport. We'll update the U.S. side on GOES as soon as his new passport arrives. For the Canadian side, we'll be flying to the U.S. from YYZ in a few months so I was thinking we can go to the airport earlier on the day we fly out, to do the update. We'll be returning to Canada in 1 week so will Hubby's passport info be updated by then? We can easily make a separate trip to YYZ if needed, but prefer not to. If this plan will work, does anyone know the typical wait time for document updates on a Saturday afternoon? Our flight is at 2:45pm.
I've been to the YYZ T1 a half-dozen times for document updates (typically on Saturdays or Sunday). The longest wait was 15 minutes, and the shortest "wait" was being asked to come to the counter immediately because there was no one ahead of me. Maybe give yourself 45 minutes just in case it's busy, and spend some extra time in the lounge if you finish early.

Most of my visits have been straightforward (in-and-out in under 5 minutes after being called up), but one update took ~20 minutes because the CBP/CBSA officers had to correct mistakes that a previous officer had made in my file. I believe that one of the comments made by the CBP officer was, "Oh, wow. How did someone make that mistake?"
Old Jan 5, 2016, 10:53 pm

Making a separate visit to a NEXUS office to update the Canadian side is no longer necessary. Once you update GOES, you are done. Direct quote from the CBSA: NEXUS members are not required to report to an Enrolment Centre to update or change their passport information with the CBSA.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 8:28 am

One more quick question regarding a child's NEXUS application.. We have in-laws visiting during our son's scheduled NEXUS interview. Debating taking him myself (as in without the mother). They state a letter is required, but I want to make sure I have all my ducks in a row so nothing goes wrong.

Can I simply type up a letter stating "<mother> acknowledges that <son> is applying for NEXUS privileges and is allowed" and have her sign it? That almost seems too easy for something government related.

Anyone done this before? What did you provide? Maybe I'm thinking too much in to it.

Thanks!!
Old Jan 6, 2016, 1:26 pm

Adding Dual Citizenship to Nexus

You can update existing documents in GOES (ie passport renewal). I had to go to YYZ T1 office a few weeks back, as I was a Canadian NEXUS member who recently acquired US citizenship and had to add my US passport to the system. So now I'm a dual citizen. Wasn't sure how that was going to work with Nexus...

I arrived at 8am after coming from a connecting flight... there were only CBSA officers there, no CBP. They took a photocopy of my new US Passport, and said they would have CBP enter it into the system later in the day. My old Nexus card was taken from me, as I would have to get a new card that showed my US citizenship. "US trumps everything" I was told. Kind of a bummer, since I was about to board a flight to the US and wouldn't be able to use my Nexus for this trip.

I was asked to login to GOES and order a new card once my new passport details were on file. I was advised to report the old card as "damaged" (they said it would be less chance of being asked to go to a new interview than if I report as lost or stolen). Had to pay a $25 USD fee and got my card within 2 weeks. The new card shows my citizenship as US, nothing about my Canadian citizenship. I assume that won't be much of an issue, but will find out when I'm travelling again next week.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 1:43 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA*1K, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Kiraly
Making a separate visit to a NEXUS office to update the Canadian side is no longer necessary. Once you update GOES, you are done. Direct quote from the CBSA: NEXUS members are not required to report to an Enrolment Centre to update or change their passport information with the CBSA.
Woah, that must be a very recent change. I had to visit a Nexus office back in September to update my details, after being told I was in violation for not doing so earlier in 2015.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by Absolute
Woah, that must be a very recent change. I had to visit a Nexus office back in September to update my details, after being told I was in violation for not doing so earlier in 2015.
The website I quoted was updated with the new information on May 13, 2015.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 2:50 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles; Hilton HHonors; NEXUS; National Emerald Club Executive
The website I quoted was updated with the new information on May 13, 2015.
For the record, I had my Nexus interview in October. CBP said I could update pretty much everything online (there were a few exceptions, like name changes). CBSA said I had to visit them, in person, any time ANY of the documents I submitted with my application was updated. Passport, green card, driver license, everything. I asked twice and the CBSA officer was very emphatic on this point.

I'm not disputing the CBSA link; I'm sure the information there is correct. However, it seems not all their staff are aware of this change. It may be worthwhile to print out a copy of the policy page to carry with you.

(Also note that the new policy applies to passports, but not necessarily other documents. The linked page lists numerous other documents, including permanent resident cards and visas, that still have to be updated in person.)
Old Jan 6, 2016, 10:20 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
Originally Posted by xero9
One more quick question regarding a child's NEXUS application.. We have in-laws visiting during our son's scheduled NEXUS interview. Debating taking him myself (as in without the mother). They state a letter is required, but I want to make sure I have all my ducks in a row so nothing goes wrong.

Can I simply type up a letter stating "<mother> acknowledges that <son> is applying for NEXUS privileges and is allowed" and have her sign it? That almost seems too easy for something government related.

Anyone done this before? What did you provide? Maybe I'm thinking too much in to it.

Thanks!!
My daughter was a few months short of 18, and was even interviewed outside my presence, but quite to my surprise (since my husband/her father was only there by coincidence), there was some paperwork that required her father's signature. There was no advance indication that this paperwork would be required. As best I recall, it was of the nature of the agreement you are thinking of, except I agree with you - if it is not their idea, there is no reason to think they will say "hey, good workaround". You could, however, call the office you booked and see if they find that okay or could send you the form to get it signed ahead of time. I would suggest using a proper notary / commissioner of oaths etc. for it, the same as you would do for the parental consent to travel form. Otherwise, they could legitimately say it was a forged signature.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by flyquiet
My daughter was a few months short of 18, and was even interviewed outside my presence, but quite to my surprise (since my husband/her father was only there by coincidence), there was some paperwork that required her father's signature. There was no advance indication that this paperwork would be required. As best I recall, it was of the nature of the agreement you are thinking of, except I agree with you - if it is not their idea, there is no reason to think they will say "hey, good workaround". You could, however, call the office you booked and see if they find that okay or could send you the form to get it signed ahead of time. I would suggest using a proper notary / commissioner of oaths etc. for it, the same as you would do for the parental consent to travel form. Otherwise, they could legitimately say it was a forged signature.
Well that's a bit alarming! I'm wondering.. Why did it require her father's signature but not yours? What I'm getting from all of this is: take momma with us! It's not even that she's not able to for one reason or another. It was more for convenience sake, but if it's recommended that I get a letter notarized, then it's easier to simply leave our guests at our house for 2 hours while we visit Pearson.

Thanks for your response flyquiet, you've made my decision very clear!
Old Jan 7, 2016, 1:27 pm

There seems to be a lot of conflicting information about this, not just on FlyerTalk but what CBSA seem to be advising. Since we'll be at YYZ anyways for a flight, I'd rather err on the side of being cautious and go to the Enrollment Centre. If it turns out they have Hubby's new passport info through the GOES update, then so be it - at least we can get them to confirm what info they have and they can update it if it turns out they still have his old info. I see no harm in popping into the Centre before our flight. I'll try to remember to report back - we're not flying out until April.

Last edited by jadephoenixx; Jan 7, 2016 at 1:36 pm
Old Jan 7, 2016, 4:02 pm

There seems to be a lot of conflicting information about this, not just on FlyerTalk but what CBSA seem to be advising.
Where is CBSA advising anything to the contrary? I mean since that page was updated in May.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 4:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
I declared cheese upon entry into Canada using Nexus and got secondary. The customs agent warned me that is against Nexus rules to use it if I answer YES to any of the YES/NO questions of the E311 declaration card, is that true ?

Last edited by MasterGeek; Jan 7, 2016 at 6:36 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.