Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 3, 2013, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Current NEXUS Information messages can be found in the following thread:

The NEXUS Information Thread

Welcome to the Travel Safety/Security Trusted Travelers Forum Nexus Information Wiki! This resource will appear at the top of every page within this thread to help users learn more about this program.

About NEXUS

NEXUS is designed to expedite the border clearance process for low-risk, pre-approved travellers into Canada and the United States.

The Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA) and U.S. Customs & Border Patrol (CBP) are cooperating in this joint venture to simplify border crossing for members while enhancing security.

Program benefits

If you are approved to participate in NEXUS, you will receive a membership identification card to use when entering Canada or the United States at all designated NEXUS air, land and marine ports of entry.

Membership will enable airline passengers to save time by:
  • using automated self-serve kiosks in dedicated areas at designated international airports;
  • using NEXUS/SENTRI lanes at land crossings when/where available. NEXUS lanes entering Canada will likely have a constant red traffic signal. This is to discourage non-NEXUS members from using the lane. Canada-bound NEXUS land crossing operating hours. All occupants must have NEXUS cards when using NEXUS lane entering Canada. At some locations, the NEXUS lane, the inspection booth is not staffed but there should be a call button. When entering US in a NEXUS/SENTRI lane, all occupants must carry either NEXUS, Global Entry, or SENTRI cards (or any combination thereof). Notable exception is Whirlpool Bridge which requires a NEXUS card to open the toll gate on the Canadian side to cross to the US..
  • As of 17 MAY 2017 - NEXUS members no longer need to complete a paper CBSA Declaration Card (Form E311) when using a NEXUS self-serve kiosk at any Canadian airport where NEXUS is available. (Refer to post #10421)
  • using the Trusted Traveller Canadian Air Transport Security Authority (CATSA) Security Line at major and select medium-sized Canadian airports to expedite airport pre boarding security screening. For detailed information, please visit the CATSA Web site.

Join NEXUS

Here are the steps for becoming a member. There is a non-refundable processing fee of CAN$50 or US$50 per applicant for a five-year membership card.

About NEXUS
Eligibility
How to apply
Enrolment process

Key points about the program as found by forum members:
  • NEXUS cardholders must advise of ANY changes to their vital information such as passport numbers/validity, visa status, legal names, primary residence, criminal convictions, and employment if it impacts your eligibility in the program.
  • It's normal to find the first in-person NEXUS interview to be months into the future, but a little patience and regular checks on the TTP website almost always yields an interview date much sooner.
  • Each person who wants to participate in the NEXUS program must fill out a separate application form. There is no fee for applicants under the age of 18.
  • If traveling with non-NEXUS family members NEXUS cardholders are required to use the regular customs lines.
  • There is a zero tolerance policy and membership can be terminated for infractions including not having your NEXUS card on you and using the NEXUS lane and not declaring items on your customs declaration card, though members have reported some leniency being granted for such infractions in the past.
  • Private companies may offer services for submitting your application and charge an additional processing fee but these extra charges are not part of the official NEXUS application fee. Expedited services offered by such companies will not assist in speeding up the application process.

Updating Passport with Canada for NEXUS

As per CBSA website, updates to passport information can be handled on TTP.
Please note that NEXUS members are not required to report to an Enrolment Centre to update or change their passport information with the CBSA.
This is supported by data points in post 11122 and 11132.

Some FT members don't trust instructions provided by CBSA and recommend the following:
Call the Canadian Processing Centre with responsibility for residents of the United States:
  • 800-842-7647 --- Monday to Friday, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm (Eastern Time)

After going through the phone tree to reach a Nexus representative, advise them that you need to update your US passport with Canada.

The representative will give you an email address and instructions to scan your updated passport picture page (include your trusted traveler number on the scan) and then email it to a particular email address. I was advised to put the representative's name in the email message so that he could process the update on the Canadian side. He confirmed that any passport update in TTP does not reach Canada. NOTE: FT members have been able to enter Canada without any issues by updating passport online only.

He specifically requested that only the telephone number be posted (and not the email address).

In case the telephone number doesn't work, here's the webpage where the phone number is posted: Canada Border Services Agency - NEXUS - General Information
Note:

US citizens/residents who have both Global Entry and NEXUS cards and who renew the Global Entry membership whilst their NEXUS card is active, will not be able to renew the NEXUS card until after it expires. The option to do so disappears from the TTP website.
Dear mxzblftspk,

Your NEXUS membership is not set to expire until July 11 2016.

As an approved NEXUS member, you added Global Entry for an additional $100. When you completed your Global Entry application, you received a Global Entry card. When you activated the Global Entry Card, your NEXUS Card was deactivated and the option to renew NEXUS was removed from your account.

If you wish to renew NEXUS, you will have to wait for your NEXUS membership to expire. Once it expires, you will have the option within your TTP online account to renew NEXUS. After you follow all of the steps to become a NEXUS member again, including the completion of an interview at a NEXUS Enrollment Center near the Canadian border, you will receive a new NEXUS card and will have Global Entry benefits at no additional cost.

When your Global Entry account expires 5 years after your application, do not renew it. Global Entry benefits are included with your NEXUS membership.

It is our goal to provide you the best information we have in response to your question. If you follow the information provided in our response, and still need assistance, please reply to this email and we will investigate how we may further assist you.

Thank you again for contacting the CBP INFO Center.

Sincerely,

CBP INFO Center
Print Wikipost

Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2014, 6:17 pm

I received several reports from fellow GE travelers that they entered the U.S. using NEXUS lanes and the only thing that the CBP agent said to them was "go ahead," with no questions whatsoever. I was wondering whether they should have said "wait, I have something declare. My car has a leather interior and I have a snickers bar in the center console."

Also, were you referring to entering Canada or entering the U.S.? My sense is that there may be a big difference....

Originally Posted by pa3lsvt
The guy at the booth will ask if you have anything to declare. The NEXUS program rules are pretty clear: declare everything. I once declared the half-drank orange juice I had in the car with me, bought at the Starbucks before getting on the highway.

Then you'll get the specific questions: firearms, tobacco/alcohol, commercial goods (I travel as a business visitor). Then you'll get the "go ahead" from the primary inspector.

Last edited by advocate99; Aug 22, 2014 at 6:24 pm
Old Aug 22, 2014, 6:43 pm

Programs: NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by advocate99
I've entered Canada twice in the last year using regular (not Nexus) lanes and both times used my Global Entry card for me, my wife, and my kid. CBSA had no problem with the card.

The GE Card is a WHTI compliant travel document and so it should be acceptable for identification, just as a WHTI driver license, or a Passport Card would be. In both cases, I also had my Passport Cards and Passports at the ready, but was never asked for them.

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/security-...ss-eng.html#s1

"If you are a citizen of the United States, you do not need a passport to enter Canada."
WHTI applies to documents when entering the US. You can enter Canada with just your birth certificate (if you were born in the US).

Surprising that CBSA accepted the GE card.

Last edited by dustman81; Aug 22, 2014 at 6:50 pm
Old Aug 22, 2014, 6:49 pm

A U.S. Citizen can enter Canada without any identification at all, according to the page that I quoted from. While the page recommends carrying a birth certificate and ID, it sounds like even they are not required... Given that, it seems sensible that they would accept a WHTI compliant Global Entry card...

NOTE: I see you modified your reply after I quoted it. Sorry!

Originally Posted by dustman81
WHTI applies to documents when entering the US. You can enter Canada with just your birth certificate (if you were born in the US).

Sounds like CBSA needs to better train their agents. Just because the GE and NEXUS cards look alike doesn't mean they are alike.

Last edited by advocate99; Aug 22, 2014 at 10:39 pm
Old Aug 22, 2014, 6:52 pm

Programs: NEXUS/GE
A U.S. Citizen can enter Canada without any identification at all, according to the page that I quoted from. While the page recommends carrying a birth certificate and ID, it sounds like even they are not required...

NOTE: I see you modified your reply after I quoted it. Sorry!
Eh, no sweat off my back. It's their business what they accept.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 6:57 pm

I would appreciate any insight onto my question about entering the U.S. Have you ever entered the U.S. via the Nexus lane and had the CBP agent simply say "go ahead" without asking you any questions at all??

Originally Posted by dustman81
Eh, no sweat off my back. It's their business what they accept.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 7:58 pm

I would appreciate any insight onto my question about entering the U.S. Have you ever entered the U.S. via the Nexus lane and had the CBP agent simply say "go ahead" without asking you any questions at all??
While not NEXUS specifically, in regular lanes I have had multiple CBP officers simply let me through. Both at land crossings and at the airport. Literally NO words were exchanged by either of us.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 8:09 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
If you cross the border enough times, you will encounter all flavours because there are diligent agents and there are apathetic agents, I am sure there are times when the crew is on higher alert than other times, and it is quite possible that we give off unintended "vibes" sometimes and not other times. If you're relying on having no conversation with the agent (as I desperately am, as a deaf person) then you will be disappointed at least some of the time. It is unwise to rely on this, and impossible to predict which day will be your lucky day.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 10:35 pm

So, I'm still wondering: If you get the apathetic agent who says "move along," but you have a fruit, a vegetable, or some clothes you bought that are under the allowance, do you stop him and say: "Wait, I have something to declare" or do you just say "Thank you" and move on??

P.S. During my latest trip, I noticed that the driver in front of me (a lady with a Canadian license plate) held back before a lane split for several minutes. At first, I wondered why, but I later realized that this person had selected the lane that was processing vehicles the fastest. My wife also noted that this person had picked up a case of beer at the duty free shop before entering in front of us...

Originally Posted by flyquiet
If you cross the border enough times, you will encounter all flavours because there are diligent agents and there are apathetic agents, I am sure there are times when the crew is on higher alert than other times, and it is quite possible that we give off unintended "vibes" sometimes and not other times. If you're relying on having no conversation with the agent (as I desperately am, as a deaf person) then you will be disappointed at least some of the time. It is unwise to rely on this, and impossible to predict which day will be your lucky day.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 1:40 pm

Once the CBP officer waved me through with a with a big smile and only said "Have a good night!" I was the last car to cross before the NEXUS lane closed for the night.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 6:23 pm

So, I'm still wondering: If you get the apathetic agent who says "move along," but you have a fruit, a vegetable, or some clothes you bought that are under the allowance, do you stop him and say: "Wait, I have something to declare" or do you just say "Thank you" and move on??
I'll share an experience I had and my discussion about it with CBSA at YYZ afterwards.

I crossed at one of the not so busy crossings where there is an unmanned booth (they have a speaker box and camera, incase you haven't experienced one). It kind of made the encounter strange. Anyway, he asked the usual questions (how long I was gone for, where we were coming from). He then asked if I had placed a declaration card in the box. I said no, to which he said "You know you must make a verbal declaration". I said "I know", and he said "okay" or something along those lines. The gate opened, and I left.

When I was at YYZ a few days later I told the girl there, and she said even though they didn't specifically ask what I had, I needed to some how fit it into the conversation.

I doubt this post actually helps, so I think it's best to sum it up like this.. It's your responsibility to declare everything even if you're under the allowance and they don't ask. It may feel odd telling them, even if you interrupt them, but it's probably best to cover your behind.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 10:23 am

If the agent asks if you have something to declare, declare it. If the agent asks you to move along without asking about declaring goods, then move along.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 6:33 pm

Programs: AS; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Gold; NEXUS
I thought I would share Mrs. sullim4's adventure in changing her last name.

She originally applied and was approved for NEXUS last year under her maiden name before our marriage. The CBP officer at the Seattle UEC told her that the name change was very simple, just come into the office with the marriage license and they could take care of it.

Fast forward to about two weeks ago. We visit the Seattle UEC on a Friday morning. The female CBP officer on duty looks at us like we are crazy that we can change her name in the office that day without an appointment. I told her the info that my wife was given last year, and asked how she expected us to get an appointment, because it was not a new application and there's no "Name Change" functionality on GOES. She didn't know but kept insisting we needed an appointment.

Another, nicer officer offers to investigate our issue and ends up calling the program administrator in DC. Apparently the rules surrounding name changes were modified around June/July.

Under the old system, they could 'vet' a name change and approve it at the enrollment center. They'd also accept a cash payment for $25 to replace the card. We were told that as of 7/1, CBP requires all vetting to take place in their central office, and they no longer accept any forms of payment at the enrollment center.

So, what did we end up doing? Well, the officer changed her name in GOES immediately, counting the marriage license as sufficient proof of the name change. This was a big win because it allowed her uninterrupted use of PreCheck with her new name.

In order to get the new card, he told her to apply for a "Lost/Stolen" card under GOES and pay the $25 fee online. That would trigger the vetting process and pay for the card. Once it was conditionally approved, call him up (he gave us his office phone) and he'd try to approve without an appointment, since we had already submitted the necessary documentation.

So, she was vetted and conditionally approved last week. She called up today, and had no problem getting it approved. Big, big kudos to the CBP officer that helped us out - it wasn't his fault that this process isn't straightforward at all and he went out of his way to make things as easy as possible.

So I guess my advice to anyone who changed their name would be to re-apply using the lost/stolen card link in GOES, use your updated name on the application, get it conditionally approved, and then make an appointment. That seems to be the 'correct' way to process a name change. Hope this helps!
Old Aug 25, 2014, 10:39 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
If you are entering the USA by air you'll be using the "Global Entry" lane (Nexus members are also automatically enrolled in Global Entry).

So if you mean have you entered the USA via Global Entry and not been asked any questions, the answer is yes. (I'm Canadian.)

However, in my experience (mostly at YVR) this has been the exception, not the rule. Usually it's the standard where are you going / what are you doing series of questions.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 1:59 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
A U.S. Citizen can enter Canada without any identification at all, according to the page that I quoted from.
Wishful thinking. However, I wish one day it happens similar to the way they have it in the European countries ^^
Old Aug 26, 2014, 9:14 am
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
I was wondering if anyone has been harassed for not having their vehicles registered w/ NEXUS. It's been my understanding that NEXUS no longer keeps the information on our owned vehicles, but I was scolded by a CBP officer for not having my info on file. FTR, the only way to add it on GOES is to apply for SENTRI, but I have no intention of taking my vehicle into Mexico (or paying the $42,- fee). Thoughts?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.