Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 3, 2013, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Current NEXUS Information messages can be found in the following thread:

The NEXUS Information Thread

Welcome to the Travel Safety/Security Trusted Travelers Forum Nexus Information Wiki! This resource will appear at the top of every page within this thread to help users learn more about this program.

About NEXUS

NEXUS is designed to expedite the border clearance process for low-risk, pre-approved travellers into Canada and the United States.

The Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA) and U.S. Customs & Border Patrol (CBP) are cooperating in this joint venture to simplify border crossing for members while enhancing security.

Program benefits

If you are approved to participate in NEXUS, you will receive a membership identification card to use when entering Canada or the United States at all designated NEXUS air, land and marine ports of entry.

Membership will enable airline passengers to save time by:
  • using automated self-serve kiosks in dedicated areas at designated international airports;
  • using NEXUS/SENTRI lanes at land crossings when/where available. NEXUS lanes entering Canada will likely have a constant red traffic signal. This is to discourage non-NEXUS members from using the lane. Canada-bound NEXUS land crossing operating hours. All occupants must have NEXUS cards when using NEXUS lane entering Canada. At some locations, the NEXUS lane, the inspection booth is not staffed but there should be a call button. When entering US in a NEXUS/SENTRI lane, all occupants must carry either NEXUS, Global Entry, or SENTRI cards (or any combination thereof). Notable exception is Whirlpool Bridge which requires a NEXUS card to open the toll gate on the Canadian side to cross to the US..
  • As of 17 MAY 2017 - NEXUS members no longer need to complete a paper CBSA Declaration Card (Form E311) when using a NEXUS self-serve kiosk at any Canadian airport where NEXUS is available. (Refer to post #10421)
  • using the Trusted Traveller Canadian Air Transport Security Authority (CATSA) Security Line at major and select medium-sized Canadian airports to expedite airport pre boarding security screening. For detailed information, please visit the CATSA Web site.

Join NEXUS

Here are the steps for becoming a member. There is a non-refundable processing fee of CAN$50 or US$50 per applicant for a five-year membership card.

About NEXUS
Eligibility
How to apply
Enrolment process

Key points about the program as found by forum members:
  • NEXUS cardholders must advise of ANY changes to their vital information such as passport numbers/validity, visa status, legal names, primary residence, criminal convictions, and employment if it impacts your eligibility in the program.
  • It's normal to find the first in-person NEXUS interview to be months into the future, but a little patience and regular checks on the TTP website almost always yields an interview date much sooner.
  • Each person who wants to participate in the NEXUS program must fill out a separate application form. There is no fee for applicants under the age of 18.
  • If traveling with non-NEXUS family members NEXUS cardholders are required to use the regular customs lines.
  • There is a zero tolerance policy and membership can be terminated for infractions including not having your NEXUS card on you and using the NEXUS lane and not declaring items on your customs declaration card, though members have reported some leniency being granted for such infractions in the past.
  • Private companies may offer services for submitting your application and charge an additional processing fee but these extra charges are not part of the official NEXUS application fee. Expedited services offered by such companies will not assist in speeding up the application process.

Updating Passport with Canada for NEXUS

As per CBSA website, updates to passport information can be handled on TTP.
Please note that NEXUS members are not required to report to an Enrolment Centre to update or change their passport information with the CBSA.
This is supported by data points in post 11122 and 11132.

Some FT members don't trust instructions provided by CBSA and recommend the following:
Call the Canadian Processing Centre with responsibility for residents of the United States:
  • 800-842-7647 --- Monday to Friday, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm (Eastern Time)

After going through the phone tree to reach a Nexus representative, advise them that you need to update your US passport with Canada.

The representative will give you an email address and instructions to scan your updated passport picture page (include your trusted traveler number on the scan) and then email it to a particular email address. I was advised to put the representative's name in the email message so that he could process the update on the Canadian side. He confirmed that any passport update in TTP does not reach Canada. NOTE: FT members have been able to enter Canada without any issues by updating passport online only.

He specifically requested that only the telephone number be posted (and not the email address).

In case the telephone number doesn't work, here's the webpage where the phone number is posted: Canada Border Services Agency - NEXUS - General Information
Note:

US citizens/residents who have both Global Entry and NEXUS cards and who renew the Global Entry membership whilst their NEXUS card is active, will not be able to renew the NEXUS card until after it expires. The option to do so disappears from the TTP website.
Dear mxzblftspk,

Your NEXUS membership is not set to expire until July 11 2016.

As an approved NEXUS member, you added Global Entry for an additional $100. When you completed your Global Entry application, you received a Global Entry card. When you activated the Global Entry Card, your NEXUS Card was deactivated and the option to renew NEXUS was removed from your account.

If you wish to renew NEXUS, you will have to wait for your NEXUS membership to expire. Once it expires, you will have the option within your TTP online account to renew NEXUS. After you follow all of the steps to become a NEXUS member again, including the completion of an interview at a NEXUS Enrollment Center near the Canadian border, you will receive a new NEXUS card and will have Global Entry benefits at no additional cost.

When your Global Entry account expires 5 years after your application, do not renew it. Global Entry benefits are included with your NEXUS membership.

It is our goal to provide you the best information we have in response to your question. If you follow the information provided in our response, and still need assistance, please reply to this email and we will investigate how we may further assist you.

Thank you again for contacting the CBP INFO Center.

Sincerely,

CBP INFO Center
Print Wikipost

Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2013, 12:06 pm

NEXUS with CBSA warning

How do you find out if your NEXUS privilege has been revoked other than being informed in the mail?

I have been approved and passed my interview at Pearson, except that I have not yet received the card because it is still in the mail.

I ask because I have reasonable concern that my NEXUS privilege has been revoked due to a misunderstanding at the border at Niagara Falls coming back to Canada. The receptionist at the NEXUS office at Pearson seems to think it's okay since I have not yet activated my NEXUS card.

HOWEVER, how is it possible to be flagged in the system (after being given a warning at the CBSA and told that it will be in my record) and still be able to use NEXUS?
Old Jul 5, 2013, 12:10 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
"misunderstanding"? We are not officials here, just people who have been through the system. As such, everything we write here is based on speculation and experience. I think you're going to have to share more information about the "misunderstanding" before people will get into the speculation.
Old Jul 5, 2013, 12:52 pm

Sorry, obviously it's my judgment to call it a "misunderstanding."

I have been living in the States with F-1 for the past 4 years and have two more years on my current I-20. I have been advised, lectured and sometimes even scolded by both the US officers and the Canadian officers that whenever I travel back to Canada (98% by air), I should enter Canada as a visitor, and NOT a citizen.

I am currently in Canada temporarily during my off-time from school and my F-1 is still active. My friend and I drove to Buffalo for the first time for fun for a day trip recently and did some shopping at the outlet. I bought some clothes that was meant for my field of studies in the US and have every intention to bring it back to the US. In my mind set, I am entering Canada (albeit only a 10 hour visit) once again and did not think that the value declaration applied to me.

I answered "no" when the officer at the Rainbow Bridge border asked if I had purchased anything to bring back to Canada. After a few more repeated questions, we were sent to an inspection and all went downhill. I did not have a chance to explain myself and the officer who lead the inspection of the car said it was too late to say anything and that I had obviously lied. My friend and I were both given a warning, notes have been entered in our records in the system, and both paid what was owed without additional penalty fee.

I was approved of Nexus on the 28th of June and still haven't received my card in the mail. It is definitely coming, but is there any chance of finding out whether my NEXUS status has been affected?

Also, is there a chance for appeal due to my misunderstanding of being Canadian with F-1? I made some calls via the office numbers found online and some agents understood my concern and perhaps even thought I could have a chance for appeal; consequently, they gave me a direct line to the Rainbow Bridge Office that would connect to an officer. Unfortunately, the officer was less than thrilled to hear my story and said that there is not such thing as entering as "visitor" as long as I am Canadian. "You are entering Canada by RIGHT," she stated repeatedly. This is obviously not what I have been told the past 4 years of traveling between USA and Canada as an F-1. She said they were very busy and that I can speak to them in person, then hung up.
Old Jul 5, 2013, 1:06 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by etworld
Sorry, obviously it's my judgment to call it a "misunderstanding."

I have been living in the States with F-1 for the past 4 years and have two more years on my current I-20. I have been advised, lectured and sometimes even scolded by both the US officers and the Canadian officers that whenever I travel back to Canada (98% by air), I should enter Canada as a visitor, and NOT a citizen.

I am currently in Canada temporarily during my off-time from school and my F-1 is still active. My friend and I drove to Buffalo for the first time for fun for a day trip recently and did some shopping at the outlet. I bought some clothes that was meant for my field of studies in the US and have every intention to bring it back to the US. In my mind set, I am entering Canada (albeit only a 10 hour visit) once again and did not think that the value declaration applied to me.

I answered "no" when the officer at the Rainbow Bridge border asked if I had purchased anything to bring back to Canada. After a few more repeated questions, we were sent to an inspection and all went downhill. I did not have a chance to explain myself and the officer who lead the inspection of the car said it was too late to say anything and that I had obviously lied. My friend and I were both given a warning, notes have been entered in our records in the system, and both paid what was owed without additional penalty fee.

I was approved of Nexus on the 28th of June and still haven't received my card in the mail. It is definitely coming, but is there any chance of finding out whether my NEXUS status has been affected?

Also, is there a chance for appeal due to my misunderstanding of being Canadian with F-1? I made some calls via the office numbers found online and some agents understood my concern and perhaps even thought I could have a chance for appeal; consequently, they gave me a direct line to the Rainbow Bridge Office that would connect to an officer. Unfortunately, the officer was less than thrilled to hear my story and said that there is not such thing as entering as "visitor" as long as I am Canadian. "You are entering Canada by RIGHT," she stated repeatedly. This is obviously not what I have been told the past 4 years of traveling between USA and Canada as an F-1. She said they were very busy and that I can speak to them in person, then hung up.
You should wait for your card or a letter saying it has been declined. If your nexus membership has been revoked there is a appeal process. Seems like a minor issue and not one where you were deliberately smuggling in huge amounts of tobacco, liquor or other contraband. A lot of these decisions are base the view or tolerance of the officer. For example I have gone to BUF and returned the same day and sometimes get charged duty on $150 worth of purchases and at other times wave thru even after declaring.
Old Jul 5, 2013, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by vernonc
You should wait for your card or a letter saying it has been declined. If your nexus membership has been revoked there is a appeal process. Seems like a minor issue and not one where you were deliberately smuggling in huge amounts of tobacco, liquor or other contraband. A lot of these decisions are base the view or tolerance of the officer. For example I have gone to BUF and returned the same day and sometimes get charged duty on $150 worth of purchases and at other times wave thru even after declaring.

Would it be worth the trip to the same border and appeal in person, requesting the warning to be removed from my record? Even if at best my NEXUS is untainted, the next officer would be alarmed when I begin using NEXUS to cross the border, and will subject me to secondary inspection all the time, OR worst case scenario, confiscate my NEXUS right away.
Old Jul 5, 2013, 3:02 pm

I suggest wait for the card or letter. Don't stir up the muck by calling (any more than you already have). They may have made the comments and stern warnings to make sure you understood the seriousness of the rules, but want it to go away as much as you do. The decision on the card or no card has been made and the border people likely cannot change it.

I don't understand why you wouldn't have done the traditional Canadian folkdance of the scissors in the trunk in the parking lot prior to driving to the border. ("What, these old things??") Not that I am advising you to do that. Or anyone. But had you bought those same items in February, and brought them home with you for the summer, you wouldn't have had to pay duty. If you bought them last week and shipped them from Buffalo to your US residence and later brought them with you in your suitcase, you wouldn't have paid duty on them. The only thing that distinguished them from your personal effects from your temporary abode in the U.S. is the tags and shopping bags.

My daughter had her interview recently also and has not got her card yet either. I know for a fact that she has not offended any official personnel on either side of the border.

They have had federal personnel cutbacks in the US, as I am sure you know, and some people are reporting processing times that are a little longer than they have been. In addition, it's the big holiday weekend and perhaps they have more staff on holidays the week before and after.

My advice would be to sit down and hush up about it. Deal with it if they do send you a denial letter but don't get ahead of yourself.

However, be aware, if you have dodged this bullet and get the card, take the rules of NEXUS absolutely at face value because officers on both sides can be quite understandably humourless about it. I will declare a Halls cough drop before I will lose my NEXUS over undeclared "food".

Last edited by flyquiet; Jul 5, 2013 at 3:06 pm Reason: ungarble
Old Jul 5, 2013, 5:07 pm

Thanks for the advice! I completely understand... None of the people I talked to on the phone have my information, not even my name. I am dreading the letter from NEXUS because... I JUST RECEIVED MY CARD TODAY!
Old Jul 5, 2013, 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by jman28
I was told by NEXUS office at YYZ that they no longer require drivers license information on the account. They actually removed it from my account because it was no longer needed.
+1. Mrs Haz had her renewal interview this afternoon, was informed upon arrival that her driver's licence was one of the required documents (even though that wasn't on the list of Documents To Bring) but the CBP agent never looked at it and in fact removed all vehicle data from her record.

And to answer a previous question - no, you can't walk across the Whirlpool Bridge, there's some serious razor wire to stop you.
Old Jul 5, 2013, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Thanks for the advice! I completely understand... None of the people I talked to on the phone have my information, not even my name. I am dreading the letter from NEXUS because... I JUST RECEIVED MY CARD TODAY!
I guess the real question is whether there is a way for the NEXUS folks to learn about your non-NEXUS border transgressions after the review. (That is, is there an automatic periodic review of your history or some kind of name-matching alert thing that pops you up in their system? Or is it all manual and thus less likely to be noticed?)

Obviously, when your NEXUS application is being reviewed, they research any previous incidents at the border and include them in the decision of whether to approve or deny.

And if you violate NEXUS's terms and the agent discovers you have NEXUS (either because you're in the NEXUS lane or you show your NEXUS card or whatever), they can probably send a message to the NEXUS administrators to properly deal with you.

But if the border agent doesn't know that you are NEXUS, will NEXUS have a way of knowing about your incident? I suppose it might come up when you apply to renew in five years, but for now, I would hazard a guess that you're reasonably safe from any immediate repercussions because the left hand probably has no way of knowing what the right hand is doing as long as the right hand doesn't specifically tell the left hand.
Old Jul 5, 2013, 9:27 pm

Congratulations on the card. You may find that this notation on the file gets you sent to secondary inspection a little more than other NEXUS users. It will be interesting to hear what your experience is.

If I was in this situation and they notified me that it had been cancelled, I would protest ... and if it came to that, I would also ask for my duty refunded, claiming it was wrongfully collected and I paid only under duress. I would say I was a Canadian citizen legally residing in the USA, taking an extended vacation in my homeland, as I am entitled to do as a citizen (and which I presume is not prohibited by the terms of the US visa). During that vacation, I accompanied a Canadian resident friend on a brief day trip to the USA, purchasing some personal effects as a USA resident. (Making the purchases on a USA credit card with a billing address in the USA would be a good reinforcement of the point.) My argument would be that it was unlawful to subject me to the payment of duty and tax on personal effects as though I was a Canadian resident importing those personal effects. I am merely a US resident on vacation, no different than a Michigan resident passing through Ontario from Buffalo bringing shopping from the same outlet mall.

I'm thinking that the border crossing interview went wrong not on the "are you bringing anything?" but the "where do you live?" question.

I'm not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV, but logically, I don't understand why duty and taxes would have been payable given the information in the story.
That said, I would not stir the pot on the duty issue now, but I would not throw out any records relating to this event until my NEXUS renewal five years from now (or whatever) has gone through!
Old Jul 5, 2013, 10:12 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
FYI, I got sent to agricultural screening and they added comments to my record before I applied for Nexus. Every time I crossed, US CBP read the comments and kind of ignored it because it was so lame - home made sandwiches. I applied and got Nexus after this happened and no one brought it up. Lesson learned and I declare everything to the point of silliness.
Old Jul 5, 2013, 10:39 pm

Programs: AP, HHonours Diamond
Just wondering what the recent process is regarding passport renewals and NEXUS:

Just had passport renewed and immediately updated the pertinent data on GOES but do I still need to pop in to the nexus office? Would one visit take care of both US and Canada side? And finally, do I still need to get the CBP sticker?

Many thanks for the help.
Old Jul 5, 2013, 11:55 pm

I read somewhere that being given a warning doesn't always mean your NEXUS is automatically revoked, but still highly likely.

Since my newly arrived NEXUS only needs to be activated within 30 days of receiving, I am thinking if I delay the activation, will this also delay the cancellation letter, if there is one?

This brings another issue, assuming my NEXUS is cancelled: if I want to appeal the duty tax and subsequently the warning being taken off my record, and perhaps even get my NEXUS status back, I only have 30 days to do so. This means I would have to activate my NEXUS card asap.

I spoke with the NEXUS receptionist at the Pearson airport office over the phone about my situation before I received my card. I don't think he has the authority to change anything in the system necessarily, but he is there to answer questions, schedule walk-in interviews (even though the automated phone system says they don't accept walk-in), and even access an individual's record on the computer. He told me that my card was definitely coming my way already, and since I have not yet activated my card, and did not have a NEXUS card present at the border when given the warning, I should still be clean. He also said the officers cannot confiscate my NEXUS that time, since it was still in pending (not activated), but they can definitely see it in their system. I am not certain how accurate his information is... but it did make me feel better.

HOWEVER... just because they didn't mention my NEXUS nor my friend's almost 5-year old NEXUS membership, it doesn't mean it won't be revoked.

(Side note: I spoke with the same receptionist when I was dropping a friend at the airport on June 28th and went in by chance hoping I'd get a cancellation the same day. Even though I got an interview spot that was 4 hours later, the officers there were happy to see me right away without having to wait for the newly allotted slot.

So yes, they do walk-in's if they aren't busy, but check with the receptionist first!)

The warning record is only supposed to last for two years, so hopefully it will be gone by the time I renew my NEXUS five years from now... My friend from the trip also has NEXUS. His F-1 had just expired so he definitely has no way out of his duty tax. Also, his NEXUS is expiring in August so I am assuming that if he isn't receiving a cancellation from NEXUS in the next month, that means I am okay as well?
Old Jul 6, 2013, 2:40 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
The guys at the CBP are quite tough these days with nexus members:

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/newsroom/...6282013_11.xml
Old Jul 6, 2013, 6:38 am

I read somewhere that being given a warning doesn't always mean your NEXUS is automatically revoked, but still highly likely.

Since my newly arrived NEXUS only needs to be activated within 30 days of receiving, I am thinking if I delay the activation, will this also delay the cancellation letter, if there is one?
I don't know what you gain by delaying the activation. You can't use NEXUS until you do (GE is activated immediately if you got that), and the longer you wait, the more likely they decide you don't want it or it wasn't delivered.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.