Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread

Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread

Hide Wikipost
Old Sep 4, 19, 6:33 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: TWA884
Wiki Link
Current NEXUS Information messages can be found in the following thread:

The NEXUS Information Thread

Welcome to the Travel Safety/Security Trusted Travelers Forum Nexus Information Wiki! This resource will appear at the top of every page within this thread to help users learn more about this program.

About NEXUS

NEXUS is designed to expedite the border clearance process for low-risk, pre-approved travellers into Canada and the United States.

The Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA) and U.S. Customs & Border Patrol (CBP) are cooperating in this joint venture to simplify border crossing for members while enhancing security.

Program benefits

If you are approved to participate in NEXUS, you will receive a membership identification card to use when entering Canada or the United States at all designated NEXUS air, land and marine ports of entry.

Membership will enable airline passengers to save time by:
  • using automated self-serve kiosks in dedicated areas at designated international airports;
  • using NEXUS/SENTRI lanes at land crossings when/where available. NEXUS lanes entering Canada will likely have a constant red traffic signal. This is to discourage non-NEXUS members from using the lane. Canada-bound NEXUS land crossing operating hours. All occupants must have NEXUS cards when using NEXUS lane entering Canada. At some locations, the NEXUS lane, the inspection booth is not staffed but there should be a call button. When entering US in a NEXUS/SENTRI lane, all occupants must carry either NEXUS, Global Entry, or SENTRI cards (or any combination thereof). Notable exception is Whirlpool Bridge which requires a NEXUS card to open the toll gate on the Canadian side to cross to the US..
  • As of 17 MAY 2017 - NEXUS members no longer need to complete a paper CBSA Declaration Card (Form E311) when using a NEXUS self-serve kiosk at any Canadian airport where NEXUS is available. (Refer to post #10421)
  • using the Trusted Traveller Canadian Air Transport Security Authority (CATSA) Security Line at major and select medium-sized Canadian airports to expedite airport pre boarding security screening. For detailed information, please visit the CATSA Web site.

Join NEXUS

Here are the steps for becoming a member. There is a non-refundable processing fee of CAN$50 or US$50 per applicant for a five-year membership card.

About NEXUS
Eligibility
How to apply
Enrolment process

Key points about the program as found by forum members:
  • NEXUS cardholders must advise of ANY changes to their vital information such as passport numbers/validity, visa status, legal names, primary residence, criminal convictions, and employment if it impacts your eligibility in the program.
  • It's normal to find the first in-person NEXUS interview to be months into the future, but a little patience and regular checks on the TTP website almost always yields an interview date much sooner.
  • Each person who wants to participate in the NEXUS program must fill out a separate application form. There is no fee for applicants under the age of 18.
  • If traveling with non-NEXUS family members NEXUS cardholders are required to use the regular customs lines.
  • There is a zero tolerance policy and membership can be terminated for infractions including not having your NEXUS card on you and using the NEXUS lane and not declaring items on your customs declaration card, though members have reported some leniency being granted for such infractions in the past.
  • Private companies may offer services for submitting your application and charge an additional processing fee but these extra charges are not part of the official NEXUS application fee. Expedited services offered by such companies will not assist in speeding up the application process.

Updating Passport with Canada for NEXUS

As per CBSA website, updates to passport information can be handled on TTP.
Please note that NEXUS members are not required to report to an Enrolment Centre to update or change their passport information with the CBSA.
This is supported by data points in post 11122 and 11132.

Some FT members don't trust instructions provided by CBSA and recommend the following:
Call the Canadian Processing Centre with responsibility for residents of the United States:
  • 800-842-7647 --- Monday to Friday, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm (Eastern Time)

After going through the phone tree to reach a Nexus representative, advise them that you need to update your US passport with Canada.

The representative will give you an email address and instructions to scan your updated passport picture page (include your trusted traveler number on the scan) and then email it to a particular email address. I was advised to put the representative's name in the email message so that he could process the update on the Canadian side. He confirmed that any passport update in TTP does not reach Canada. NOTE: FT members have been able to enter Canada without any issues by updating passport online only.

He specifically requested that only the telephone number be posted (and not the email address).

In case the telephone number doesn't work, here's the webpage where the phone number is posted: Canada Border Services Agency - NEXUS - General Information
Note:

US citizens/residents who have both Global Entry and NEXUS cards and who renew the Global Entry membership whilst their NEXUS card is active, will not be able to renew the NEXUS card until after it expires. The option to do so disappears from the TTP website.
Dear mxzblftspk,

Your NEXUS membership is not set to expire until July 11 2016.

As an approved NEXUS member, you added Global Entry for an additional $100. When you completed your Global Entry application, you received a Global Entry card. When you activated the Global Entry Card, your NEXUS Card was deactivated and the option to renew NEXUS was removed from your account.

If you wish to renew NEXUS, you will have to wait for your NEXUS membership to expire. Once it expires, you will have the option within your TTP online account to renew NEXUS. After you follow all of the steps to become a NEXUS member again, including the completion of an interview at a NEXUS Enrollment Center near the Canadian border, you will receive a new NEXUS card and will have Global Entry benefits at no additional cost.

When your Global Entry account expires 5 years after your application, do not renew it. Global Entry benefits are included with your NEXUS membership.

It is our goal to provide you the best information we have in response to your question. If you follow the information provided in our response, and still need assistance, please reply to this email and we will investigate how we may further assist you.

Thank you again for contacting the CBP INFO Center.

Sincerely,

CBP INFO Center
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 22, 18, 12:50 pm

I just logged on the TTP site to check - it appears my appointment for today in Blaine has been automatically cancelled (without any notification):

Jan 22, 2018

Reason for cancellation: Due to a lapse in funding, CBP Global Entry Enrollment Centers are temporarily closed. It will be necessary for you to reschedule your interview after U.S. Government Operations resume. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience.

Appointment Location: Blaine NEXUS and FAST Enrollment Center
Old Jan 26, 18, 2:08 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles

Programs: AAdvantage | MileagePlus
Exclamation Moderator's Action

A recent question about traveling by car between Canada and the US while a passport is pending replacement or renewal was moved to the following thread:
Traveling with NEXUS without a Passport
TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Jan 26, 18, 6:48 pm

Programs: NEXUS
Originally Posted by gglave View Post
Apologies if this has been answered in the 10,000+ threads upstream but I'm a little confused about renewal. I just renewed Nexus via (what appeared to be the shiny new) Trusted Traveler Program site. How do I get a new card? The site hasn't told me I need to schedule an appointment, nor has it told me a card will arrive in the mail. What am I supposed to do next? It's all rather confusing.

I have been approved and currently waiting for the card. Judging from the screenshot, there is not an activate card button. Where can I find it?
Old Jan 26, 18, 8:24 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Hyatt Glob, SPG LTP
Originally Posted by OSSYULYYZ View Post
I have been approved and currently waiting for the card. Judging from the screenshot, there is not an activate card button. Where can I find it?
it should be there once the card is mailed out
Old Jan 26, 18, 8:26 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by OSSYULYYZ View Post
When the card arrives, it will include instructions to activate it. My recollection on the old GOES web site, the "button" appeared a couple of days before the card arrived in the mail.
Old Jan 27, 18, 1:38 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by seawolf View Post

it should be there once the card is mailed out
Correct. That was my experience last month.
Old Jan 29, 18, 10:02 am

Programs: E35K, FPC Platinum
Has anyone else think that the Nexus line sometimes takes longer than the regular security line.
On recent a recent flight I forgot my nexus card and it turned out to be a blessing. Both times I beat my wife through security, at YYZ by a significant margin.
Using one of the credit cards lines also seems to lead to the NEXUS line and maybe this is why these lines are much longer now??
Old Jan 29, 18, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
It happens, though rare. I was in the Precheck line at AUS Saturday. There was nobody in line for regular security. I'm not exaggerating, I mean literally zero people. People walked straight up to the document checker in effect. Meanwhile, in the Precheck line, there were at least 8 or so people in front of me when I arrived. Of course, I was through relatively quickly anyway as 8 people isn't much of a line. But, during slower travel seasons (i.e. now for most domestic USA/domestic Canada/transborder travel), when a higher percentage of travelers are business travelers (more likely to be NEXUS cardholders in this instance), sometimes the non-NEXUS line will be shorter. It can also depend on allocation of number of lanes and staffing. YVR has multiple security lines at US transborder. Usually only one or two is for NEXUS. If there are more lines open than normal, or fewer passengers than normal, regular security may have a shorter line. I personally haven't seen this (mostly 15-20 minute non-NEXUS line waits compared to 5-10 for NEXUS line, based on a recent experience when I traveled with two non-NEXUS members), but it can happen.
Old Jan 29, 18, 11:18 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by YVRYEGYVR View Post
Has anyone else think that the Nexus line sometimes takes longer than the regular security line.
On recent a recent flight I forgot my nexus card and it turned out to be a blessing. Both times I beat my wife through security, at YYZ by a significant margin.
Using one of the credit cards lines also seems to lead to the NEXUS line and maybe this is why these lines are much longer now??
Depends on location and time. Just went thru YUL. Nobody in NEXUS lane.

Also saw sign posted on front door of Montreal YUL NEXUS enrollment centre NO INTERVIEW WITHOUT APPOINTMENT.

iím guessing donít bother knocking in door if you donít have appointment. LOL

Last edited by seawolf; Jan 29, 18 at 11:24 am
Old Feb 1, 18, 9:21 am

Programs: Nexus
Mid-November at YYZ, 8am flight to MIA.

The normal security line was absolutely slammed. We are talking a couple hundred people at least, stretching out into the main corridor and around the corner. This was 2-3 lanes wide as well.

The Nexus line was one lane wide (they obviously process a little faster) but stretched a comparable amount out into the corridor.

The priority line (Amex Platinum for example) was near empty. Luckily I was a member and decided that over the Nexus lane. Walked right past hundreds of people and was able to bring the two I was flying with along. (allows you to bring a guest)

Would have missed the flight otherwise. The two did have to spend 15 minutes in the customs line, Nexus line had only a couple there. Our plane was delayed taking off, waiting for people to clear security and customs. Even after a delay the plane was half empty when it departed.
Old Feb 1, 18, 9:56 am

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by whywhyzee View Post
Mid-November at YYZ, 8am flight to MIA.
Thank you for sharing. What time did you arrive YYZ for your 8 am flight?
Old Feb 1, 18, 11:05 am

Programs: E35K, FPC Platinum
Did the credit card line lead to its own security line?
I thought in montreal that line connected to the nexus line.
I am a former platinum card holder and i still hold on to it for airport purposes... hehe
Old Feb 1, 18, 3:11 pm
Original Member

I am a former platinum card holder and i still hold on to it for airport purposes... hehe
At YUL the credit card member lane has itís own security lane and you need to take shoes off.

NEXUS has itsís own CATSA Trusted Traveler lane where shoes stay on but recently it looks like it closes mid morning and reopen sometime in the afternoon.
Old Feb 1, 18, 3:12 pm

Programs: Nexus
Originally Posted by 1KChinito View Post
Thank you for sharing. What time did you arrive YYZ for your 8 am flight?
This was shortly after the implementation of their heightened screening, where they now suggest 3hrs early arrival instead of 2hrs.

However we arrived at 6:35am, flight was scheduled for 8:35am. The priority check-in from Amex Platinum (for bag drops etc...) was nice too. The regular kiosks and bag drop area were pretty full as well.

I normally fly out of YYZ -> U.S. early morning, flights departing at 6:35am. They are usually cheaper and from door to gate with no checked luggage (Nexus) has been, 95% of the time, less than 10 minutes.

It did have its own line, same screening as a "regular" line, just priority access.
Old Feb 2, 18, 9:28 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles

Programs: AAdvantage | MileagePlus
Exclamation Moderator's Action

For indexing and future search purposes, a recent question about entering Canada with a misdemeanor conviction was moved to the Canada forum.

The OP may also want to check the following thread in the Policy Debate forum:
Entering Canada with Criminal Record??
TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator

Last edited by TWA884; Feb 2, 18 at 9:35 am

Search this Thread