Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 3, 2013, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Current NEXUS Information messages can be found in the following thread:

The NEXUS Information Thread

Welcome to the Travel Safety/Security Trusted Travelers Forum Nexus Information Wiki! This resource will appear at the top of every page within this thread to help users learn more about this program.

About NEXUS

NEXUS is designed to expedite the border clearance process for low-risk, pre-approved travellers into Canada and the United States.

The Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA) and U.S. Customs & Border Patrol (CBP) are cooperating in this joint venture to simplify border crossing for members while enhancing security.

Program benefits

If you are approved to participate in NEXUS, you will receive a membership identification card to use when entering Canada or the United States at all designated NEXUS air, land and marine ports of entry.

Membership will enable airline passengers to save time by:
  • using automated self-serve kiosks in dedicated areas at designated international airports;
  • using NEXUS/SENTRI lanes at land crossings when/where available. NEXUS lanes entering Canada will likely have a constant red traffic signal. This is to discourage non-NEXUS members from using the lane. Canada-bound NEXUS land crossing operating hours. All occupants must have NEXUS cards when using NEXUS lane entering Canada. At some locations, the NEXUS lane, the inspection booth is not staffed but there should be a call button. When entering US in a NEXUS/SENTRI lane, all occupants must carry either NEXUS, Global Entry, or SENTRI cards (or any combination thereof). Notable exception is Whirlpool Bridge which requires a NEXUS card to open the toll gate on the Canadian side to cross to the US..
  • As of 17 MAY 2017 - NEXUS members no longer need to complete a paper CBSA Declaration Card (Form E311) when using a NEXUS self-serve kiosk at any Canadian airport where NEXUS is available. (Refer to post #10421)
  • using the Trusted Traveller Canadian Air Transport Security Authority (CATSA) Security Line at major and select medium-sized Canadian airports to expedite airport pre boarding security screening. For detailed information, please visit the CATSA Web site.

Join NEXUS

Here are the steps for becoming a member. There is a non-refundable processing fee of CAN$50 or US$50 per applicant for a five-year membership card.

About NEXUS
Eligibility
How to apply
Enrolment process

Key points about the program as found by forum members:
  • NEXUS cardholders must advise of ANY changes to their vital information such as passport numbers/validity, visa status, legal names, primary residence, criminal convictions, and employment if it impacts your eligibility in the program.
  • It's normal to find the first in-person NEXUS interview to be months into the future, but a little patience and regular checks on the TTP website almost always yields an interview date much sooner.
  • Each person who wants to participate in the NEXUS program must fill out a separate application form. There is no fee for applicants under the age of 18.
  • If traveling with non-NEXUS family members NEXUS cardholders are required to use the regular customs lines.
  • There is a zero tolerance policy and membership can be terminated for infractions including not having your NEXUS card on you and using the NEXUS lane and not declaring items on your customs declaration card, though members have reported some leniency being granted for such infractions in the past.
  • Private companies may offer services for submitting your application and charge an additional processing fee but these extra charges are not part of the official NEXUS application fee. Expedited services offered by such companies will not assist in speeding up the application process.

Updating Passport with Canada for NEXUS

As per CBSA website, updates to passport information can be handled on TTP.
Please note that NEXUS members are not required to report to an Enrolment Centre to update or change their passport information with the CBSA.
This is supported by data points in post 11122 and 11132.

Some FT members don't trust instructions provided by CBSA and recommend the following:
Call the Canadian Processing Centre with responsibility for residents of the United States:
  • 800-842-7647 --- Monday to Friday, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm (Eastern Time)

After going through the phone tree to reach a Nexus representative, advise them that you need to update your US passport with Canada.

The representative will give you an email address and instructions to scan your updated passport picture page (include your trusted traveler number on the scan) and then email it to a particular email address. I was advised to put the representative's name in the email message so that he could process the update on the Canadian side. He confirmed that any passport update in TTP does not reach Canada. NOTE: FT members have been able to enter Canada without any issues by updating passport online only.

He specifically requested that only the telephone number be posted (and not the email address).

In case the telephone number doesn't work, here's the webpage where the phone number is posted: Canada Border Services Agency - NEXUS - General Information
Note:

US citizens/residents who have both Global Entry and NEXUS cards and who renew the Global Entry membership whilst their NEXUS card is active, will not be able to renew the NEXUS card until after it expires. The option to do so disappears from the TTP website.
Dear mxzblftspk,

Your NEXUS membership is not set to expire until July 11 2016.

As an approved NEXUS member, you added Global Entry for an additional $100. When you completed your Global Entry application, you received a Global Entry card. When you activated the Global Entry Card, your NEXUS Card was deactivated and the option to renew NEXUS was removed from your account.

If you wish to renew NEXUS, you will have to wait for your NEXUS membership to expire. Once it expires, you will have the option within your TTP online account to renew NEXUS. After you follow all of the steps to become a NEXUS member again, including the completion of an interview at a NEXUS Enrollment Center near the Canadian border, you will receive a new NEXUS card and will have Global Entry benefits at no additional cost.

When your Global Entry account expires 5 years after your application, do not renew it. Global Entry benefits are included with your NEXUS membership.

It is our goal to provide you the best information we have in response to your question. If you follow the information provided in our response, and still need assistance, please reply to this email and we will investigate how we may further assist you.

Thank you again for contacting the CBP INFO Center.

Sincerely,

CBP INFO Center
Print Wikipost

Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2017, 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by TWA884
If it is for US pre-clearance, that's true for all GE kiosks that I've used in the past year. Please discuss this topic in the following thread:
TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
No, Global Entry I am aware of. It's a more recent NEXUS change (for entry into Canada) that requires declaring all food.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 7:45 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mabramovich
Has anyone found any clever workaround on the new kiosks? The new kiosks require all food to be declared (at least at YYZ), so now your chocolate bar means you get to sent to secondary. When we were filling out the customs forms, it was only nuts, meat, etc. that had to be declared. There was no one in secondary today so I fast, but this could be a nightmare to wait in line to declare some chocolates for a gift or something - in fact it would be longer than NOT using Nexus because any officer would clear you with the chocolates.
Same choices as GE kiosk.

Pick one of the following:
  1. Don't bring food
  2. Don't use NEXUS
  3. Make a false declaration.
  4. Use general public CBSA eDeclaration app where the word "food" is not on the declaration.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 9:16 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Option 5: when you hand the Nexus printout to the person who directs you to secondary, tell them you declared food because you have chocolate. For me, that's let me bypass secondary in YYZ/YEG 100% of the time. Unless the layout of the inspection area has changed in the last year.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 1:13 pm

Programs: AC SE100K MM
Today YYZ transborder. Asking for passports from everyone. Claiming Nexus does not mean anything to them any more.

Glad I always bring mine.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by Cozmo456
Today YYZ transborder. Asking for passports from everyone. Claiming Nexus does not mean anything to them any more.

CBP or airline checkin, or elsewhere?
Old Dec 3, 2017, 6:54 pm

Programs: AC SE100K MM
CBP. Everyone else was business as usual.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 4:28 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Apologies if this has been answered in the 10,000+ threads upstream but I'm a little confused about renewal. I just renewed Nexus via (what appeared to be the shiny new) Trusted Traveler Program site. How do I get a new card? The site hasn't told me I need to schedule an appointment, nor has it told me a card will arrive in the mail. What am I supposed to do next? It's all rather confusing.

Old Dec 11, 2017, 4:37 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Cozmo456

Amazing.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 5:47 pm

Programs: NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by gglave
Apologies if this has been answered in the 10,000+ threads upstream but I'm a little confused about renewal. I just renewed Nexus via (what appeared to be the shiny new) Trusted Traveler Program site. How do I get a new card? The site hasn't told me I need to schedule an appointment, nor has it told me a card will arrive in the mail. What am I supposed to do next? It's all rather confusing.

From your screenshot, your're fully approved (no interview needed). A new card should arrive in a week after approval. Activate the new one, destroy the old one.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 6:04 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by dustman81
From your screenshot, your're fully approved (no interview needed). A new card should arrive in a week after approval. Activate the new one, destroy the old one.
Correct. I was approved for renewal a couple of weeks ago. The card arrived a few days later.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 11:14 am

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by dustman81
Originally Posted by Finkface
Correct. I was approved for renewal a couple of weeks ago. The card arrived a few days later.
Thanks so much for the reassuring replies. Very strange that the site doesn't have a couple of extra sentences that explains what happens next. Then again, it's a government site, so perhaps not so strange after all.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 5:17 pm

Has anyone tried to view or renew their children's Nexus application/acct with the new Nexus site? My kids are too young to have an email address. How does one go about registering a minor without an email? Also, the new site can be time consuming to use or a lack of. It times you out so quickly you have just a few seconds to think rather than to blink.

Originally Posted by gglave
..Then again, it's a government site, so perhaps not so strange after all.
Yup, you said it first!
Old Dec 12, 2017, 6:02 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by missjane
Has anyone tried to view or renew their children's Nexus application/acct with the new Nexus site? My kids are too young to have an email address. How does one go about registering a minor without an email? Also, the new site can be time consuming to use or a lack of. It times you out so quickly you have just a few seconds to think rather than to blink.
Any reason why you can't open/manage an email address for your children?
Old Dec 12, 2017, 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by missjane

Yup, you said it first!
If you personally use Gmail (for example, you have the address [email protected]), your kids' email address can easily be: [email protected] and [email protected]. There's no need to do any prep work before using those suffixes.

Likewise, if you use Yahoo mail, you can use the "disposable address" setting, so that your kids' email addresses are: [email protected] and [email protected]. That takes 30 seconds of prep work in the settings.

And of course, you can easily set up email accounts for them on any free web email service. It only takes a couple minutes.

Also, do the email addresses even need to be unique? Have you tried entering your own plain email address in that email address box on either kid's online application?
TWA884, KCKC and Mad_Max_Esq like this.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by Newbie2FT
If you personally use Gmail (for example, you have the address [email protected]), your kids' email address can easily be: [email protected] and [email protected]. There's no need to do any prep work before using those suffixes.
Also, do the email addresses even need to be unique? Have you tried entering your own plain email address in that email address box on either kid's online application?
I did this for my kids using my own gmail address with the +FirstName add-ons and it worked fine. I had initially tried using the same email address for all of them, but since it uses the email address as a login ID, they have to be unique.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.