Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 3, 2013, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Current NEXUS Information messages can be found in the following thread:

The NEXUS Information Thread

Welcome to the Travel Safety/Security Trusted Travelers Forum Nexus Information Wiki! This resource will appear at the top of every page within this thread to help users learn more about this program.

About NEXUS

NEXUS is designed to expedite the border clearance process for low-risk, pre-approved travellers into Canada and the United States.

The Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA) and U.S. Customs & Border Patrol (CBP) are cooperating in this joint venture to simplify border crossing for members while enhancing security.

Program benefits

If you are approved to participate in NEXUS, you will receive a membership identification card to use when entering Canada or the United States at all designated NEXUS air, land and marine ports of entry.

Membership will enable airline passengers to save time by:
  • using automated self-serve kiosks in dedicated areas at designated international airports;
  • using NEXUS/SENTRI lanes at land crossings when/where available. NEXUS lanes entering Canada will likely have a constant red traffic signal. This is to discourage non-NEXUS members from using the lane. Canada-bound NEXUS land crossing operating hours. All occupants must have NEXUS cards when using NEXUS lane entering Canada. At some locations, the NEXUS lane, the inspection booth is not staffed but there should be a call button. When entering US in a NEXUS/SENTRI lane, all occupants must carry either NEXUS, Global Entry, or SENTRI cards (or any combination thereof). Notable exception is Whirlpool Bridge which requires a NEXUS card to open the toll gate on the Canadian side to cross to the US..
  • As of 17 MAY 2017 - NEXUS members no longer need to complete a paper CBSA Declaration Card (Form E311) when using a NEXUS self-serve kiosk at any Canadian airport where NEXUS is available. (Refer to post #10421)
  • using the Trusted Traveller Canadian Air Transport Security Authority (CATSA) Security Line at major and select medium-sized Canadian airports to expedite airport pre boarding security screening. For detailed information, please visit the CATSA Web site.

Join NEXUS

Here are the steps for becoming a member. There is a non-refundable processing fee of CAN$50 or US$50 per applicant for a five-year membership card.

About NEXUS
Eligibility
How to apply
Enrolment process

Key points about the program as found by forum members:
  • NEXUS cardholders must advise of ANY changes to their vital information such as passport numbers/validity, visa status, legal names, primary residence, criminal convictions, and employment if it impacts your eligibility in the program.
  • It's normal to find the first in-person NEXUS interview to be months into the future, but a little patience and regular checks on the TTP website almost always yields an interview date much sooner.
  • Each person who wants to participate in the NEXUS program must fill out a separate application form. There is no fee for applicants under the age of 18.
  • If traveling with non-NEXUS family members NEXUS cardholders are required to use the regular customs lines.
  • There is a zero tolerance policy and membership can be terminated for infractions including not having your NEXUS card on you and using the NEXUS lane and not declaring items on your customs declaration card, though members have reported some leniency being granted for such infractions in the past.
  • Private companies may offer services for submitting your application and charge an additional processing fee but these extra charges are not part of the official NEXUS application fee. Expedited services offered by such companies will not assist in speeding up the application process.

Updating Passport with Canada for NEXUS

As per CBSA website, updates to passport information can be handled on TTP.
Please note that NEXUS members are not required to report to an Enrolment Centre to update or change their passport information with the CBSA.
This is supported by data points in post 11122 and 11132.

Some FT members don't trust instructions provided by CBSA and recommend the following:
Call the Canadian Processing Centre with responsibility for residents of the United States:
  • 800-842-7647 --- Monday to Friday, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm (Eastern Time)

After going through the phone tree to reach a Nexus representative, advise them that you need to update your US passport with Canada.

The representative will give you an email address and instructions to scan your updated passport picture page (include your trusted traveler number on the scan) and then email it to a particular email address. I was advised to put the representative's name in the email message so that he could process the update on the Canadian side. He confirmed that any passport update in TTP does not reach Canada. NOTE: FT members have been able to enter Canada without any issues by updating passport online only.

He specifically requested that only the telephone number be posted (and not the email address).

In case the telephone number doesn't work, here's the webpage where the phone number is posted: Canada Border Services Agency - NEXUS - General Information
Note:

US citizens/residents who have both Global Entry and NEXUS cards and who renew the Global Entry membership whilst their NEXUS card is active, will not be able to renew the NEXUS card until after it expires. The option to do so disappears from the TTP website.
Dear mxzblftspk,

Your NEXUS membership is not set to expire until July 11 2016.

As an approved NEXUS member, you added Global Entry for an additional $100. When you completed your Global Entry application, you received a Global Entry card. When you activated the Global Entry Card, your NEXUS Card was deactivated and the option to renew NEXUS was removed from your account.

If you wish to renew NEXUS, you will have to wait for your NEXUS membership to expire. Once it expires, you will have the option within your TTP online account to renew NEXUS. After you follow all of the steps to become a NEXUS member again, including the completion of an interview at a NEXUS Enrollment Center near the Canadian border, you will receive a new NEXUS card and will have Global Entry benefits at no additional cost.

When your Global Entry account expires 5 years after your application, do not renew it. Global Entry benefits are included with your NEXUS membership.

It is our goal to provide you the best information we have in response to your question. If you follow the information provided in our response, and still need assistance, please reply to this email and we will investigate how we may further assist you.

Thank you again for contacting the CBP INFO Center.

Sincerely,

CBP INFO Center
Print Wikipost

Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2017, 3:12 pm

Has anyone had any issues with children's fingerprints not registering at a US Global Entry kiosk? I'm wondering if I should have my children's fingerprints redone as they grow. I know that the pattern doesn't change, but the overall dimensions do.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 5:19 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by kilarney
Has anyone had any issues with children's fingerprints not registering at a US Global Entry kiosk? I'm wondering if I should have my children's fingerprints redone as they grow. I know that the pattern doesn't change, but the overall dimensions do.
Problems with children's fingerprint have been discussed in this thread:
Old Oct 24, 2017, 4:39 am

Originally Posted by TWA884
Problems with children's fingerprint have been discussed in this thread:
Unfortunately, after reading through all 14 pages of that thread, I've learned that my particular issue has not been discussed.

I've posted my question in that thread, though.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 6:23 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by phltraveler
That's definitely not true on the new TTP site. I finally got around to getting my proof of Canadian citizenship by descent (a citizenship certificate) which was added at an enrollment center in mid-September and then a Canadian passport which I added mid-October (next trip into Canada). Both are reflected on the TTP portal. And the NEXUS machines use the NEXUS card regardless and US CBP expects you to enter USA on US passport so I've only ever used my US passport or NEXUS card at the kiosk so there's no way for TTP site to be aware of this other than the inputs from the enrollment centre.
Thanks for reporting that enrollment centre updates get reflected in TTP.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by kilarney

I wouldn't be proactive about it. Schlepping your child down to the NEXUS office unnecessarily isn't fun. If your child's fingerprints are rejected at a global entry kiosk, just head over to the crew line with your child's NEXUS card for expedited entry. Then you'll know to pay a visit to the NEXUS office at a later time.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 10:32 pm

Programs: AA; Delta GM
Okay, I confess that while I haven't read all 700+ pages of this thread, I read the Wiki and I'm still confused.

I am being told by other people that if you are approved for Nexus, you have Global Entry, regardless of point of entry to this country. They're saying you can spend LESS money and still get ALL of the Global Entry benefits with Nexus. I thought Nexus was a dedicated program between Canada and the US.

If someone could please help me out here, I'd be much obliged.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 10:46 pm

Programs: Amex, JPMR, Nexus
Originally Posted by aquamarinesteph
Okay, I confess that while I haven't read all 700+ pages of this thread, I read the Wiki and I'm still confused.

I am being told by other people that if you are approved for Nexus, you have Global Entry, regardless of point of entry to this country. They're saying you can spend LESS money and still get ALL of the Global Entry benefits with Nexus. I thought Nexus was a dedicated program between Canada and the US.

Once you are registered for any program with CBP, you get all GE benefits. Nexus just indicates that you are able to use Nexus kiosks to enter Canada. Plus all GE kiosks are alike. Why would they exclude you from using all of them?
aquamarinesteph likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 10:53 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles; Hilton HHonors; NEXUS; National Emerald Club Executive

Yep. All the benefits of GE and Precheck, plus the equivalent benefits in Canada. And yep, the GE and PreCheck benefits apply to all locations with GE and PreCheck. At half the price.

It's government math, most likely the result of an agreement between the US and Canada where Canada insisted on limiting the cost. The few disadvantages I can see:

- You have to travel to/near the Canadian border for the interview
- You have to be interviewed by both CBP and CBSA
- If you are inadmissible to Canada, you won't qualify for NEXUS
seawolf and aquamarinesteph like this.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 10:55 pm

Thanks for the replies! :-) I was confused since Nexus seems to cost less than GE and wondered how they could be the same thing.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 11:20 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's been extensively discussed in the Global Entry vs NEXUS thread (which, BTW, is only 12 pages long ):
Take a look at the DHS Trusted Traveler Programs Comparison Chart:

NEXUS

<snip>

Program Experience

Expedited processing at airports and land borders when entering the U.S. and Canada.
Includes Global Entry benefits.

Includes the TSA Pre✓® benefits for U.S. citizens, U.S. lawful permanent residents and Canadian citizens.
aquamarinesteph likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 11:47 pm

It's been extensively discussed in the Global Entry vs NEXUS thread (which, BTW, is only 12 pages long ):
Thank you!!
Old Oct 26, 2017, 7:44 pm

Programs: NEXUS, MileagePlus Silver, Frontier Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by txviking
The few disadvantages I can see:

- You have to travel to/near the Canadian border for the interview
- You have to be interviewed by both CBP and CBSA
- If you are inadmissible to Canada, you won't qualify for NEXUS
Another HUGE disadvantage is the time it takes to be conditionally approved. Global Entry usually takes less than a week. We have reports of NEXUS taking anywhere from 3 to 12 weeks. The approval time varies quite a bit. And we can safely assume that Canada is holding everything up because the requirements, in the eyes of CBP, for NEXUS and Global Entry are identical.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 2:58 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by trmbn65
Another HUGE disadvantage is the time it takes to be conditionally approved. Global Entry usually takes less than a week. We have reports of NEXUS taking anywhere from 3 to 12 weeks. The approval time varies quite a bit. And we can safely assume that Canada is holding everything up because the requirements, in the eyes of CBP, for NEXUS and Global Entry are identical.
Plausible but not necessarily accurate. FT members with extended approval times called and was told CBP was the hold up at the beginning of the year.

NEXUS members from certain countries got suspended without reason at the beginning of the year by CBP. Shows that CBP is the more “cautious” agency.

The requirements are also not the same as GE is limited to citizens of certain countries and US LPR while NEXUS be available to anyone if they are Canadian LPR. US LPR have records held by US agencies (eg more accesible) but you can’t say the same for Canadian LPR having records held by US agencies. Furthermore GE requires passport. NEXUS does not.

We also don’t know if CBP approval process are indeed different. We also don’t know if they assign different teams to approval different TTP or if one team approvals all TTP. Are those teams staffed appropriately?

NEXUS approvals do tend to take longer than GE but lots of assumptions being made by saying CBSA is the hold up without knowing internal processes.

Last edited by seawolf; Oct 27, 2017 at 3:12 am
Old Oct 28, 2017, 11:39 am

Exclamation Moderator's Action

A recent post discussing upgrading to NEXUS from Global Entry was moved to the following thread:
TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Oct 31, 2017, 6:52 am

Apologies if this was covered, as I couldn't find an answer...

I went through the process just before the GOES program switched over to the TTP website. My wife and son were conditionally approved and had interviews scheduled before the switch occurred. I have created the logins and linked the profiles from GOES, so all of the relevant NEXUS application and interview details are in the new TTP profiles.

However, when my wife went in for her interview, they asked for the conditional approval letter. I was able to view and print mine from the GOES site when I had my interview, but I can't find it anywhere on the TTP site. They didn't seem to have a big problem in that she didn't have it. My son's interview is tomorrow.

Do they just need this because they want the Membership Number/PASSID? If so, should I just print a copy of the interview summary which shows this info?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Viper536; Oct 31, 2017 at 7:53 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.