Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 3, 2013, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Current NEXUS Information messages can be found in the following thread:

The NEXUS Information Thread

Welcome to the Travel Safety/Security Trusted Travelers Forum Nexus Information Wiki! This resource will appear at the top of every page within this thread to help users learn more about this program.

About NEXUS

NEXUS is designed to expedite the border clearance process for low-risk, pre-approved travellers into Canada and the United States.

The Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA) and U.S. Customs & Border Patrol (CBP) are cooperating in this joint venture to simplify border crossing for members while enhancing security.

Program benefits

If you are approved to participate in NEXUS, you will receive a membership identification card to use when entering Canada or the United States at all designated NEXUS air, land and marine ports of entry.

Membership will enable airline passengers to save time by:
  • using automated self-serve kiosks in dedicated areas at designated international airports;
  • using NEXUS/SENTRI lanes at land crossings when/where available. NEXUS lanes entering Canada will likely have a constant red traffic signal. This is to discourage non-NEXUS members from using the lane. Canada-bound NEXUS land crossing operating hours. All occupants must have NEXUS cards when using NEXUS lane entering Canada. At some locations, the NEXUS lane, the inspection booth is not staffed but there should be a call button. When entering US in a NEXUS/SENTRI lane, all occupants must carry either NEXUS, Global Entry, or SENTRI cards (or any combination thereof). Notable exception is Whirlpool Bridge which requires a NEXUS card to open the toll gate on the Canadian side to cross to the US..
  • As of 17 MAY 2017 - NEXUS members no longer need to complete a paper CBSA Declaration Card (Form E311) when using a NEXUS self-serve kiosk at any Canadian airport where NEXUS is available. (Refer to post #10421)
  • using the Trusted Traveller Canadian Air Transport Security Authority (CATSA) Security Line at major and select medium-sized Canadian airports to expedite airport pre boarding security screening. For detailed information, please visit the CATSA Web site.

Join NEXUS

Here are the steps for becoming a member. There is a non-refundable processing fee of CAN$50 or US$50 per applicant for a five-year membership card.

About NEXUS
Eligibility
How to apply
Enrolment process

Key points about the program as found by forum members:
  • NEXUS cardholders must advise of ANY changes to their vital information such as passport numbers/validity, visa status, legal names, primary residence, criminal convictions, and employment if it impacts your eligibility in the program.
  • It's normal to find the first in-person NEXUS interview to be months into the future, but a little patience and regular checks on the TTP website almost always yields an interview date much sooner.
  • Each person who wants to participate in the NEXUS program must fill out a separate application form. There is no fee for applicants under the age of 18.
  • If traveling with non-NEXUS family members NEXUS cardholders are required to use the regular customs lines.
  • There is a zero tolerance policy and membership can be terminated for infractions including not having your NEXUS card on you and using the NEXUS lane and not declaring items on your customs declaration card, though members have reported some leniency being granted for such infractions in the past.
  • Private companies may offer services for submitting your application and charge an additional processing fee but these extra charges are not part of the official NEXUS application fee. Expedited services offered by such companies will not assist in speeding up the application process.

Updating Passport with Canada for NEXUS

As per CBSA website, updates to passport information can be handled on TTP.
Please note that NEXUS members are not required to report to an Enrolment Centre to update or change their passport information with the CBSA.
This is supported by data points in post 11122 and 11132.

Some FT members don't trust instructions provided by CBSA and recommend the following:
Call the Canadian Processing Centre with responsibility for residents of the United States:
  • 800-842-7647 --- Monday to Friday, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm (Eastern Time)

After going through the phone tree to reach a Nexus representative, advise them that you need to update your US passport with Canada.

The representative will give you an email address and instructions to scan your updated passport picture page (include your trusted traveler number on the scan) and then email it to a particular email address. I was advised to put the representative's name in the email message so that he could process the update on the Canadian side. He confirmed that any passport update in TTP does not reach Canada. NOTE: FT members have been able to enter Canada without any issues by updating passport online only.

He specifically requested that only the telephone number be posted (and not the email address).

In case the telephone number doesn't work, here's the webpage where the phone number is posted: Canada Border Services Agency - NEXUS - General Information
Note:

US citizens/residents who have both Global Entry and NEXUS cards and who renew the Global Entry membership whilst their NEXUS card is active, will not be able to renew the NEXUS card until after it expires. The option to do so disappears from the TTP website.
Dear mxzblftspk,

Your NEXUS membership is not set to expire until July 11 2016.

As an approved NEXUS member, you added Global Entry for an additional $100. When you completed your Global Entry application, you received a Global Entry card. When you activated the Global Entry Card, your NEXUS Card was deactivated and the option to renew NEXUS was removed from your account.

If you wish to renew NEXUS, you will have to wait for your NEXUS membership to expire. Once it expires, you will have the option within your TTP online account to renew NEXUS. After you follow all of the steps to become a NEXUS member again, including the completion of an interview at a NEXUS Enrollment Center near the Canadian border, you will receive a new NEXUS card and will have Global Entry benefits at no additional cost.

When your Global Entry account expires 5 years after your application, do not renew it. Global Entry benefits are included with your NEXUS membership.

It is our goal to provide you the best information we have in response to your question. If you follow the information provided in our response, and still need assistance, please reply to this email and we will investigate how we may further assist you.

Thank you again for contacting the CBP INFO Center.

Sincerely,

CBP INFO Center
Print Wikipost

Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2017, 10:29 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Note: Personal Exchanges

Folks,

Please keep in mind FlyerTalk Rule 12.2 when posting:
Avoid Getting Personal

If you have a difference of opinion with another member, challenge the idea — NOT the person. Getting personal with another member is not allowed. Personal attacks, insults, baiting and flaming will not be tolerated.
Future post containing personal exchanges will be summarily deleted without further notice. Repeat offenders will have their posting privileges suspended for a minimum of seven days.

Please consider this to be your one and only warning!

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Oct 1, 2017, 1:51 pm

Programs: UA G, *G, Global Entry, Marriott, Hilton, Fairmont, Hyatt, Starwood etc
This may be very old news but I haven't been on in a while. I renewed my Nexus for the first time in April. It was complete BS, waste of my time and travel to the center, quite inconvenient and the "interview" was superficial. Since I have never ever had any issues I didn't think I should have to go at all given reports of mail renewals by others.

The one question that surprised me was when they just asked spontaneously if I'd ever been to Cuba. I asked "why" and was told that it would prohibit my participation in NEXUS. Seemed preposterous to me, especially since we had just normalized relations with them.

The only reason I could figure for them asking is that I'm also Canadian and therefore could have traveled there for years.

Don't think I'll go right now, though!

Just looking at the past coupla messages. Our neighbors forgot to update their new PP information and were hauled off and lashed by CBP for having forgotten to do so... one would THINK that having your PP in renewal would be a reasonable excuse but it may all depend on what the agent had for lunch (in my experience).
Old Oct 1, 2017, 6:06 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Note

Folks,

The Trusted Travelers forum is an informational forum.

Members come here to share and search for practical information about applying for and using the various Trusted Travelers programs with minimum hassle and maximum benefits.

This is not the place to opine, comment or argue about the renewal process, how travel to cuba affects NEXUS eligibility, the conduct of CBP or CBSA officers, etc.

Please free to share your experiences, however, if you wish the debate, opine, comment or remark about any aspect of these programs, you are welcome to do so in the Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate forum.

Thank you for understanding,

TWA884
Co-moderator, Travel Safety/Security
Old Oct 1, 2017, 8:57 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by surreycrv
Yet just about all you posted is simply not true. It has been shown, repeatedly to not be true. NEXUS is a 2 country program. GOES is a 1 country portal that does not always.transmit its information to the other country. All it takes is 1 time for my statement to be true, and as there are actual documented cases where your commentary are proved incorrect, then your blanket statement is factually wrong.

<deleted>.
I don’t doubt CBSA doesn’t get updates. I’m just saying their technological shortcoming is not a basis for revoking NEXUS from members who complied with written instructions. This thread is full of data points of members reporting CBSA not getting updates but not one where they actually lost NEXUS.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 12:12 pm

I have an upcoming flight from Montreal to Chicago Ohare. I was under the impression that there was a dedicated NEXUS lane through security and that I would not have to take my belt and shoes off.

But this wiki suggests that, for transborder security, this is only the case in Toronto.
https://en.wikivoyage.org/wiki/NEXUS

Specifically, here is what it says: Express security clearance, similar to TSA Precheck, is available for US-bound flights from Toronto Pearson International Airport (YYZ) Terminal 1. This is a pilot program that may be expanded to other airports in the future if successful.

Is the Wiki correct? If so, it would explain why I had to remove my belt and shoes the last time I did this. I was told that the NEXUS lane was closed. Perhaps it is closed for much longer than I had assumed!
Old Oct 4, 2017, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by kilarney
I have an upcoming flight from Montreal to Chicago Ohare. I was under the impression that there was a dedicated NEXUS lane through security and that I would not have to take my belt and shoes off.

But this wiki suggests that, for transborder security, this is only the case in Toronto.
https://en.wikivoyage.org/wiki/NEXUS

Is the Wiki correct? If so, it would explain why I had to remove my belt and shoes the last time I did this. I was told that the NEXUS lane was closed. Perhaps it is closed for much longer than I had assumed!
I can't help you with YUL, but there is 100% a NEXUS members only security lane at YVR Transborder. So, the Wiki is not correct. There are numerous other errors in that Wiki as well.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by TheBOSman
I can't help you with YUL, but there is 100% a NEXUS members only security lane at YVR Transborder. So, the Wiki is not correct. There are numerous other errors in that Wiki as well.
Thanks for that input. I just found a press release from the Canadian government stating that there is indeed a NEXUS lane for security at the transborder area at Montreal.

It looks like I was just unlucky when it was closed a couple of weeks ago. It also looks like I should not rely on that Wiki.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 2:00 pm
Original Member

There definitely is a NEXUS security lane at YUL where laptops come out but light jackets and shoes stay on. I usually go thru security weekdays between 9AM and 5PM. Never seen it closed. The link provided for https://en.wikivoyage.org/wiki/NEXUS doesn't even seem official at all. There is security line immediately to the right and parallel of the NEXUS lane which does require shoes to come off.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 8:04 pm

Programs: AC SE100K MM
It does close around lunch time. You get pushed to the handicap lane and shoes come off.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 10:19 am

Programs: Riteaid wellness+ Gold, PlanetFitness Preferred Black, Hyatt Cubic Zirconia, Hallmark Crown Platinum
Kinda stupid question, but how do you go through Nexus lane on the land border if you are traveling with someone else?

Do you hold up all 4 Nexus cards at once, or do you just pass through each one in the air?
Old Oct 5, 2017, 10:49 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by IIIIIIIIIIllllllllll
Kinda stupid question, but how do you go through Nexus lane on the land border if you are traveling with someone else?

Do you hold up all 4 Nexus cards at once, or do you just pass through each one in the air?
Refer to 2:30 mark in the video
on how to hold them in a fan pattern and in which orientation.
KCKC likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 3:40 pm

Programs: AC Aeroplan, Bonvoy, HHonors, National EC
Originally Posted by seawolf
The link provided for https://en.wikivoyage.org/wiki/NEXUS doesn't even seem official at all.
At Canadian airports, security screening is performed by CATSA. Here's a link to their page for Trusted Travellers:

http://www.catsa.gc.ca/trusted-travellers

The OP asked about YUL:

Montreal | Domestic and International | Line 1
Montreal | United States | Line 4
Old Oct 5, 2017, 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by seawolf
Refer to 2:30 mark in the video video on how to hold them in a fan pattern and in which orientation.
I find when I hold four cards in a fan pattern like shown, most of the time at least one of them isn't detected. I then hand all four cards to the agent, no problem.

If I hold up the cards one at a time, all four are always detected.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 8:28 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold Mariott Gold Aeroplan E25K SAS Gold NEXUS
Originally Posted by Kiraly
I find when I hold four cards in a fan pattern like shown, most of the time at least one of them isn't detected. I then hand all four cards to the agent, no problem.

If I hold up the cards one at a time, all four are always detected.
I have found waiting an extra 10 seconds or so and the last card (in our case the 5th card) is detected.
seawolf likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 6:01 am

I lost my NEXUS card (even though I know for sure it is somewhere at my home). I ordered a replacement card first thing on Monday morning. I have a flight this coming Sunday. Is there any chance at all I will get my card prior to my flight? My guess is no, but I was hoping for a minor miracle.

The good news is that I received a notification of approval about 30 minutes after I requested the replacement card. But perhaps that is just a pro forma response for a replacement request.

Also, will I need a new iris scan for the replacement card and/or new fingerprinting?

Last edited by kilarney; Oct 16, 2017 at 6:13 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.