Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread

Old Mar 3, 2013, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Current NEXUS Information messages can be found in the following thread:

The NEXUS Information Thread

Welcome to the Travel Safety/Security Trusted Travelers Forum Nexus Information Wiki! This resource will appear at the top of every page within this thread to help users learn more about this program.

About NEXUS

NEXUS is designed to expedite the border clearance process for low-risk, pre-approved travellers into Canada and the United States.

The Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA) and U.S. Customs & Border Patrol (CBP) are cooperating in this joint venture to simplify border crossing for members while enhancing security.

Program benefits

If you are approved to participate in NEXUS, you will receive a membership identification card to use when entering Canada or the United States at all designated NEXUS air, land and marine ports of entry.

Membership will enable airline passengers to save time by:
  • using automated self-serve kiosks in dedicated areas at designated international airports;
  • using NEXUS/SENTRI lanes at land crossings when/where available. NEXUS lanes entering Canada will likely have a constant red traffic signal. This is to discourage non-NEXUS members from using the lane. Canada-bound NEXUS land crossing operating hours. All occupants must have NEXUS cards when using NEXUS lane entering Canada. At some locations, the NEXUS lane, the inspection booth is not staffed but there should be a call button. When entering US in a NEXUS/SENTRI lane, all occupants must carry either NEXUS, Global Entry, or SENTRI cards (or any combination thereof). Notable exception is Whirlpool Bridge which requires a NEXUS card to open the toll gate on the Canadian side to cross to the US..
  • As of 17 MAY 2017 - NEXUS members no longer need to complete a paper CBSA Declaration Card (Form E311) when using a NEXUS self-serve kiosk at any Canadian airport where NEXUS is available. (Refer to post #10421)
  • using the Trusted Traveller Canadian Air Transport Security Authority (CATSA) Security Line at major and select medium-sized Canadian airports to expedite airport pre boarding security screening. For detailed information, please visit the CATSA Web site.

Join NEXUS

Here are the steps for becoming a member. There is a non-refundable processing fee of CAN$50 or US$50 per applicant for a five-year membership card.

About NEXUS
Eligibility
How to apply
Enrolment process

Key points about the program as found by forum members:
  • NEXUS cardholders must advise of ANY changes to their vital information such as passport numbers/validity, visa status, legal names, primary residence, criminal convictions, and employment if it impacts your eligibility in the program.
  • It's normal to find the first in-person NEXUS interview to be months into the future, but a little patience and regular checks on the TTP website almost always yields an interview date much sooner.
  • Each person who wants to participate in the NEXUS program must fill out a separate application form. There is no fee for applicants under the age of 18.
  • If traveling with non-NEXUS family members NEXUS cardholders are required to use the regular customs lines.
  • There is a zero tolerance policy and membership can be terminated for infractions including not having your NEXUS card on you and using the NEXUS lane and not declaring items on your customs declaration card, though members have reported some leniency being granted for such infractions in the past.
  • Private companies may offer services for submitting your application and charge an additional processing fee but these extra charges are not part of the official NEXUS application fee. Expedited services offered by such companies will not assist in speeding up the application process.

Updating Passport with Canada for NEXUS

As per CBSA website, updates to passport information can be handled on TTP.
Please note that NEXUS members are not required to report to an Enrolment Centre to update or change their passport information with the CBSA.
This is supported by data points in post 11122 and 11132.

Some FT members don't trust instructions provided by CBSA and recommend the following:
Call the Canadian Processing Centre with responsibility for residents of the United States:
  • 800-842-7647 --- Monday to Friday, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm (Eastern Time)

After going through the phone tree to reach a Nexus representative, advise them that you need to update your US passport with Canada.

The representative will give you an email address and instructions to scan your updated passport picture page (include your trusted traveler number on the scan) and then email it to a particular email address. I was advised to put the representative's name in the email message so that he could process the update on the Canadian side. He confirmed that any passport update in TTP does not reach Canada. NOTE: FT members have been able to enter Canada without any issues by updating passport online only.

He specifically requested that only the telephone number be posted (and not the email address).

In case the telephone number doesn't work, here's the webpage where the phone number is posted: Canada Border Services Agency - NEXUS - General Information
Note:

US citizens/residents who have both Global Entry and NEXUS cards and who renew the Global Entry membership whilst their NEXUS card is active, will not be able to renew the NEXUS card until after it expires. The option to do so disappears from the TTP website.
Dear mxzblftspk,

Your NEXUS membership is not set to expire until July 11 2016.

As an approved NEXUS member, you added Global Entry for an additional $100. When you completed your Global Entry application, you received a Global Entry card. When you activated the Global Entry Card, your NEXUS Card was deactivated and the option to renew NEXUS was removed from your account.

If you wish to renew NEXUS, you will have to wait for your NEXUS membership to expire. Once it expires, you will have the option within your TTP online account to renew NEXUS. After you follow all of the steps to become a NEXUS member again, including the completion of an interview at a NEXUS Enrollment Center near the Canadian border, you will receive a new NEXUS card and will have Global Entry benefits at no additional cost.

When your Global Entry account expires 5 years after your application, do not renew it. Global Entry benefits are included with your NEXUS membership.

It is our goal to provide you the best information we have in response to your question. If you follow the information provided in our response, and still need assistance, please reply to this email and we will investigate how we may further assist you.

Thank you again for contacting the CBP INFO Center.

Sincerely,

CBP INFO Center
Print Wikipost

Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread

Old Aug 11, 2017, 1:14 pm

Hi everyone.

With 706 previous pages on Nexus it is a bit overwhelming of sorts trying to figure things out, so I will just put it out there and hope for the best!

I have used Nexus (land, border crossing) for a couple of years, but have always wanted to get clarification on a few items.

I understand we need to declare everything which I always ensure I do, never have had any issues most times even when bringing a single bottle of spirits back under the allowable timeframe I have been given the green light from the Nexus guard. Up front and honest, no deviation on that.

My one question I have always wondered about is a couple of snacks and partial case of water. I usually travel with a half case of water in the back of my car, so it goes into the US and back to our side so I have not purchased it in the States. Do I need to declare this, I don't seeing I had it going in but I want to be 100% sure. Any comments?

Second item is when we return we sometimes have a bag of chips or a pop for the drive, again don't wish to say I have a half eaten bag of chips to the nexus agent as he may think I am being funny or stupid....should we declare a bag of store purchased chips as a car snack crossing back?

Third item is our son has an athletic scholarship in the US side of the border, we cannot bring merchandise over for other people or commercial goods...however we crossed through at the regular (non Nexus) booth and they confirmed we can bring in merchandise for direct family. This would be normal for all families with kids in the US who are attending University. With the amount of stuff he requires for the 8 month stint in college, we usually will take a couple of trips and on the second trip it is just us parents making the trip south as he is in school.

Does anyone know if we can use the Nexus lane seeing we are both Nexus holders and bringing in material for our son for college? At the moment we go through the regular line, however we show our Nexus pass and have our passports as backup. We have had zero issue this way, we thought it was safer seeing we were not sure of the rules on this as so took the safest approach as mentioned.

Thanks for everyone and all comments with contributors who might be able to assist.

Cheers,
Ballroomblitz.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 8:23 am

Yes you do need to declare everything including half eaten bags of chips. It's rare that NEXUS has been revoked for this kind of thing but it's not unheard of.

No, when returning to Canada, you don't need to declare stuff you already had with you when leaving. If you get stopped you'll have to convince the CBSA officer that your bottled water originally came from Canada. If there is French on the labels, I bet you'll be fine.

Yes you can take school supplies across in the NEXUS lane. Those are not commercial goods. But you must delcare anything you bring to the USA that you plan on leaving there.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 8:30 am

I received this from the CBP agent yesterday at my daughter's NEXUS renewal appoint at the Vancouver Urban enrollment centre. It is the first actual documentation I have ever seen from CBP/CBSA that says that passport updates MUST be in person. But then it gives a fax number for document updates.

Last edited by Kiraly; Aug 12, 2017 at 8:38 am
Old Aug 12, 2017, 9:47 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Thanks for the scan. CBSA is hopeless. (I wish there was a facepalm emoji in FT.) They provide hard documentation to update passport with NEXUS office but prefix with check the GOES/NEXUS website which still gives contradicting directions. How difficult is it to get their act together and communicate a consistent message?

Please note that NEXUS members are not required to report to an Enrolment Centre to update or change their passport information with the CBSA.
. And website doesn't mention anything about faxing.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by seawolf
How difficult is it to get their act together and communicate a consistent message?

. And website doesn't mention anything about faxing.
No kidding. And what is the fax number for,if all documents need to be updated in person? And the fax number, a Vancouver number, is only for non-GVRD residents. So people local to Vancouver like me can't use it? I don't get it.

I wish there was a facepalm emoji in FT.
<deleted>

Last edited by TWA884; Aug 13, 2017 at 9:14 am Reason: FT Rule 8: Animated images not permitted
Old Aug 14, 2017, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by Kiraly
Yes you do need to declare everything including half eaten bags of chips. It's rare that NEXUS has been revoked for this kind of thing but it's not unheard of.

No, when returning to Canada, you don't need to declare stuff you already had with you when leaving. If you get stopped you'll have to convince the CBSA officer that your bottled water originally came from Canada. If there is French on the labels, I bet you'll be fine.

Yes you can take school supplies across in the NEXUS lane. Those are not commercial goods. But you must delcare anything you bring to the USA that you plan on leaving there.

Thank you Kiraly for your thoughts, will err on the side of caution and declare the odd half eaten bag of chips or Krispy Kreme donuts...lol.

For the college thing we don't really take books, we take down clothes, air conditioner, LCD TV or the like, our son is on a full athletic scholarship so it is what our son needs to live down south for 8 months of the year in resident housing. Think we'll still use the regular lane for that as we never have an issue there, and it is only twice a year once in August and the other in May or so. Our son has all his paperwork in order and when we cross we inform that we are bringing for this purpose and have never had any concerns.

Thank you for your reply here, I heard snacks could be a concern if it had nuts or organic matter, for commercially packages items it is best to declare as you have suggested.

Cheers,
Ballroomblitz.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 2:37 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
For indexing and future search purposes, recent posts discussing NEXUS applications by existing Global Entry members were moved to the following thread:
TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator

Last edited by TWA884; Aug 29, 2017 at 4:29 pm
Old Aug 16, 2017, 9:11 pm

Programs: GE
If I apply for NEXUS and don't get approved without an interview, how far can I defer the interview? I don't have any firm plans to travel to Canada so I can't schedule an appointment but drop in an enrollment center is a possibility.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 7:31 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by bbtrvl
If I apply for NEXUS and don't get approved without an interview, how far can I defer the interview? I don't have any firm plans to travel to Canada so I can't schedule an appointment but drop in an enrollment center is a possibility.
You can reschedule appointments repeatedly without restriction - certainly for 12 months and probably longer. However, until you have your interview, you won't have the benefits of Nexus.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 1:20 pm

Update documents on GOES website

Originally Posted by Kiraly
I received this from the CBP agent yesterday at my daughter's NEXUS renewal appoint at the Vancouver Urban enrollment centre. It is the first actual documentation I have ever seen from CBP/CBSA that says that passport updates MUST be in person. But then it gives a fax number for document updates.
Do you have an account set up at the "Global Online Enrollment System" (GOES) website? It is administered by US Customs and Border Protection.

https://goes-app.cbp.dhs.gov/goes/jsp/login.jsp

If you do, you can log in and update your documents (passport/driver's licence) and you will see the card status changed to "Approved" once the new expiry dates are entered.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 2:58 pm

Programs: Amex, JPMR, Nexus
Originally Posted by vn33
Do you have an account set up at the "Global Online Enrollment System" (GOES) website? It is administered by US Customs and Border Protection.

If you do, you can log in and update your documents (passport/driver's licence) and you will see the card status changed to "Approved" once the new expiry dates are entered.
Updating in GOES only works on the U.S. side but the info never somehow gets to CBSA, therefore they require an update in person, via fax or e-mail.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by vn33

I updated my driver's licence info online and it still says "documents expired".

I'm in Canada. I think I might have to go in-person but no idea.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Smiley90
I updated my driver's licence info online and it still says "documents expired".

I'm in Canada. I think I might have to go in-person but no idea.
Last time I tried to update my driver's license (in-person), I was told they don't need it. Think this is still there from the legacy requirement from ages ago.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by emcampbe
Last time I tried to update my driver's license (in-person), I was told they don't need it. Think this is still there from the legacy requirement from ages ago.
I used my NEXUS to cross into the US yesterday and despite the website still showing "documents expired", it was accepted without a peep.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by bbtrvl
Originally Posted by mnbp
You can reschedule appointments repeatedly without restriction - certainly for 12 months and probably longer. However, until you have your interview, you won't have the benefits of Nexus.
In the past, CBP appeared to strictly enforce a limitation, at least in some cases, that the applicant was only allowed to use the GOES interview scheduling tool up to 120 days after receiving conditional approval. (The 120 day limit was itself an expansion of the original 30 day limit.) And because the scheduling tool only allows the applicant to select an interview date up to six months out, that meant that the total theoretical time to defer the interview could be up to 10 months:

120 days [~4 months] + 180 days [~6 months] = 300 days [~10 months]

It appears that after the 120 day scheduling tool window passed, rescheduling again would lead to cancellation of the application and denial of NEXUS:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24938692-post9289.html

However, recent revisions of the CBP website, while instructing people who have received conditional approval to use the interview scheduling tool within 120 days of conditional approval, also inform them that they may reschedule even after 120 days have passed since conditional approval:

"Also note that canceling an appointment that has reached the 120-day period from the date of conditional approval can cause your application to be cancelled. You may reschedule as often as needed."

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...e-an-interview

Also, it appears that the GOES system may not always automatically cancel an application and its conditional approval, even if the user waits more than 120 days to schedule the interview for the first time:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trust...-global-1.html

<deleted>

Last edited by TWA884; Aug 20, 2017 at 10:53 pm Reason: Housekeeping

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.