Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 3, 2013, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Current NEXUS Information messages can be found in the following thread:

The NEXUS Information Thread

Welcome to the Travel Safety/Security Trusted Travelers Forum Nexus Information Wiki! This resource will appear at the top of every page within this thread to help users learn more about this program.

About NEXUS

NEXUS is designed to expedite the border clearance process for low-risk, pre-approved travellers into Canada and the United States.

The Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA) and U.S. Customs & Border Patrol (CBP) are cooperating in this joint venture to simplify border crossing for members while enhancing security.

Program benefits

If you are approved to participate in NEXUS, you will receive a membership identification card to use when entering Canada or the United States at all designated NEXUS air, land and marine ports of entry.

Membership will enable airline passengers to save time by:
  • using automated self-serve kiosks in dedicated areas at designated international airports;
  • using NEXUS/SENTRI lanes at land crossings when/where available. NEXUS lanes entering Canada will likely have a constant red traffic signal. This is to discourage non-NEXUS members from using the lane. Canada-bound NEXUS land crossing operating hours. All occupants must have NEXUS cards when using NEXUS lane entering Canada. At some locations, the NEXUS lane, the inspection booth is not staffed but there should be a call button. When entering US in a NEXUS/SENTRI lane, all occupants must carry either NEXUS, Global Entry, or SENTRI cards (or any combination thereof). Notable exception is Whirlpool Bridge which requires a NEXUS card to open the toll gate on the Canadian side to cross to the US..
  • As of 17 MAY 2017 - NEXUS members no longer need to complete a paper CBSA Declaration Card (Form E311) when using a NEXUS self-serve kiosk at any Canadian airport where NEXUS is available. (Refer to post #10421)
  • using the Trusted Traveller Canadian Air Transport Security Authority (CATSA) Security Line at major and select medium-sized Canadian airports to expedite airport pre boarding security screening. For detailed information, please visit the CATSA Web site.

Join NEXUS

Here are the steps for becoming a member. There is a non-refundable processing fee of CAN$50 or US$50 per applicant for a five-year membership card.

About NEXUS
Eligibility
How to apply
Enrolment process

Key points about the program as found by forum members:
  • NEXUS cardholders must advise of ANY changes to their vital information such as passport numbers/validity, visa status, legal names, primary residence, criminal convictions, and employment if it impacts your eligibility in the program.
  • It's normal to find the first in-person NEXUS interview to be months into the future, but a little patience and regular checks on the TTP website almost always yields an interview date much sooner.
  • Each person who wants to participate in the NEXUS program must fill out a separate application form. There is no fee for applicants under the age of 18.
  • If traveling with non-NEXUS family members NEXUS cardholders are required to use the regular customs lines.
  • There is a zero tolerance policy and membership can be terminated for infractions including not having your NEXUS card on you and using the NEXUS lane and not declaring items on your customs declaration card, though members have reported some leniency being granted for such infractions in the past.
  • Private companies may offer services for submitting your application and charge an additional processing fee but these extra charges are not part of the official NEXUS application fee. Expedited services offered by such companies will not assist in speeding up the application process.

Updating Passport with Canada for NEXUS

As per CBSA website, updates to passport information can be handled on TTP.
Please note that NEXUS members are not required to report to an Enrolment Centre to update or change their passport information with the CBSA.
This is supported by data points in post 11122 and 11132.

Some FT members don't trust instructions provided by CBSA and recommend the following:
Call the Canadian Processing Centre with responsibility for residents of the United States:
  • 800-842-7647 --- Monday to Friday, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm (Eastern Time)

After going through the phone tree to reach a Nexus representative, advise them that you need to update your US passport with Canada.

The representative will give you an email address and instructions to scan your updated passport picture page (include your trusted traveler number on the scan) and then email it to a particular email address. I was advised to put the representative's name in the email message so that he could process the update on the Canadian side. He confirmed that any passport update in TTP does not reach Canada. NOTE: FT members have been able to enter Canada without any issues by updating passport online only.

He specifically requested that only the telephone number be posted (and not the email address).

In case the telephone number doesn't work, here's the webpage where the phone number is posted: Canada Border Services Agency - NEXUS - General Information
Note:

US citizens/residents who have both Global Entry and NEXUS cards and who renew the Global Entry membership whilst their NEXUS card is active, will not be able to renew the NEXUS card until after it expires. The option to do so disappears from the TTP website.
Dear mxzblftspk,

Your NEXUS membership is not set to expire until July 11 2016.

As an approved NEXUS member, you added Global Entry for an additional $100. When you completed your Global Entry application, you received a Global Entry card. When you activated the Global Entry Card, your NEXUS Card was deactivated and the option to renew NEXUS was removed from your account.

If you wish to renew NEXUS, you will have to wait for your NEXUS membership to expire. Once it expires, you will have the option within your TTP online account to renew NEXUS. After you follow all of the steps to become a NEXUS member again, including the completion of an interview at a NEXUS Enrollment Center near the Canadian border, you will receive a new NEXUS card and will have Global Entry benefits at no additional cost.

When your Global Entry account expires 5 years after your application, do not renew it. Global Entry benefits are included with your NEXUS membership.

It is our goal to provide you the best information we have in response to your question. If you follow the information provided in our response, and still need assistance, please reply to this email and we will investigate how we may further assist you.

Thank you again for contacting the CBP INFO Center.

Sincerely,

CBP INFO Center
Print Wikipost

Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2017, 8:51 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Jono
Once you physically receive your Nexus card, you have to activate it before it is valid. Trying to use it at GE machines before you activate it may cause trouble.
It's been previously reported at FT that once you are fully approved, you can use GE immediately.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 8:58 pm

Programs: AA - Plat, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Plat, Marriott - Gold, National - Exec, Amtrak - Select, NEXUS
Originally Posted by Jono
Once you physically receive your Nexus card, you have to activate it before it is valid. Trying to use it at GE machines before you activate it may cause trouble.

My father tried using his newly received but not yet activated (he didn't realize he had to activate) card at a land crossing into the US and was detained in secondary for 3-4 hours while they tried to determine if he had stolen the card and verified his identity. It wasn't pleasant.
GE kiosks in airports can be used immediately upon approval, even before a NEXUS card is received and activated. The approval letter states as such and no card at all is needed to use GE.

Your example refers to a land crossing in a NEXUS lane - a totally different animal. Yes, you need to activate the card before using a NEXUS lane or a NEXUS kiosk at an airport because you are using the card. Even GE members need to use their GE card when using a NEXUS lane into the US.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 9:30 am

Thanks everyone for their response. I have two additional questions.

1. What is the difference in terms of privileges between GE and Nexus? Since I can't use the nexus line for security, what can I do with GE?

2. Can I still use my passport for GE even if I am not a holder of a U.S. or Canadian passport? I am a Canadian permanent resident.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by samisheikh
Thanks everyone for their response. I have two additional questions.

1. What is the difference in terms of privileges between GE and Nexus? Since I can't use the nexus line for security, what can I do with GE?
When entering the USA, there is no difference. Membership in NEXUS or GE gets you the same benefits and privileges.

When entering Canada, GE is worthless. You need NEXUS to get any related benefits or privileges.

2. Can I still use my passport for GE even if I am not a holder of a U.S. or Canadian passport? I am a Canadian permanent resident.
Canadian permanent residents are not eligible for membership in the Global Entry program. You have to apply for NEXUS.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by seawolf
It's been previously reported at FT that once you are fully approved, you can use GE immediately.
Perhaps, but it is technically against the NEXUS rules. Remember that NEXUS members are not concurrently Global Entry members, they only have GE privileges as a benefit of their NEXUS membership. That means that when a NEXUS member uses a GE machine, he does so as a NEXUS member and all of the NEXUS rules apply, including the rule to always have the card in your possession when using it for NEXUS services.

US CBP may not have a problem with you not having the card in your possession when using a GE machine, but I personally wouldn't risk it. Is using the regular lane at the airport one more time really such a burden?
Old Jul 13, 2017, 9:58 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by Kiraly
Perhaps, but it is technically against the NEXUS rules. Remember that NEXUS members are not concurrently Global Entry members, they only have GE privileges as a benefit of their NEXUS membership. That means that when a NEXUS member uses a GE machine, he does so as a NEXUS member and all of the NEXUS rules apply, including the rule to always have the card in your possession when using it for NEXUS services.

US CBP may not have a problem with you not having the card in your possession when using a GE machine, but I personally wouldn't risk it. Is using the regular lane at the airport one more time really such a burden?
When regular lane is 50+ ppl long, yeah it's a burden. As both you and CBP both indicated, GE is included. GE kiosk will either error out or proceed normally.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 9:59 am

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond

Given the fact that frontline CBP officers can't even see what trusted traveller program you belong too, it's not like they'd know if you had Nexus or just GE anyway.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 11:22 am

Programs: AA - Plat, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Plat, Marriott - Gold, National - Exec, Amtrak - Select, NEXUS
Please go read your NEXUS approval letter. Find the statement that says that "you may use your Global Entry privileges immediately" or something to the same effect, followed by the admonition that you must receive and activate your NEXUS card "before using the NEXUS lanes or NEXUS Air kiosks." I don't have my letter any more, but I remember those statements clearly.

You are giving bad advice regarding the use of Global Entry kiosks for NEXUS members. It is fine if you don't want to take any (non-existent) risks, but asserting that you must activate your NEXUS card in order to use a GE kiosk is simply inaccurate. Her'es what you are missing: GE is not a "NEXUS service" so CBP doesn't give a rat's tail about your NEXUS card.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 11:53 am
Original Member

The approval letter is in GOES account and it states:

We are pleased to inform you that your U. S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP), NEXUS program membership has been approved. You may use the program as soon as you receive and activate your new NEXUS card.

If you enrolled in Global Entry, you may begin using the kiosk immediately. Global Entry cards are only issued to Global Entry members who are U.S. citizens, Lawful Permanent Residents or Mexican Nationals (who are not current SENTRI members). Global Entry cards are not valid at the Global Entry kiosks.
But as I indicated earlier, from a GE kiosk perspective, it's usable once you receive the fully approved email after the interview.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 12:02 pm

I agree with seawolf, last time I traveled from YUL to MLB, I spent an hour in security check, there were close 70 people waiting in the line, whereas the nexus line there were only a handful of people which is the main reason I decided to apply for Nexus.

That being said, it looks I won't be able to use the GE line correct?

On a side note, how long does it take to get the approval email after the interview?
Old Jul 13, 2017, 1:06 pm

"If you are enrolled in Global Entry, you may begin using the kiosk immediately."

Some NEXUS members are not eligible for GE entering the US, and THOSE members cannot use the GE kiosk immediately. Everyone else - don't need to wait for the card.

samisheikh, it appears you haven't had your interview yet? If so, just ask all your questions to the officers (CBP and CBSA) during the interview in addition to crowdsourcing your information here at FT. Especially since you are a Canadian LPR and don't hold a US or Canadian passport - that is a special situation that most of us can't comment on.

The acceptance letter receipt time can very from instantaneous (reports of getting the email while still in the NEXUS center's parking lot). For me, it took a phone call after a delay in receipt due to some technical issue that wasn't described, but was fixed, during the phone call. I had the letter 5 minutes after I hung up.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 1:50 pm

Programs: A few, *G,
pa3lsvt, a NEXUS credential includes GE, full stop period. GE is the American chosen form of trusted traveler program for entering the USA. Which is the reason that while a Canadian CAN'T apply for only GE, they are given a GE status under the NEXUS program. In other words, if a Canadian were not allowed to have GE access, they wouldn't have a NEXUS credential. For non-Americans (Canadians), GE is a Nexus service. That is accurate.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 3:00 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles; Hilton HHonors; NEXUS; National Emerald Club Executive
Originally Posted by pa3lsvt
"
samisheikh, it appears you haven't had your interview yet? If so, just ask all your questions to the officers (CBP and CBSA) during the interview in addition to crowdsourcing your information here at FT. Especially since you are a Canadian LPR and don't hold a US or Canadian passport - that is a special situation that most of us can't comment on.
I can comment on that a little bit. I hold neither US nor Canadian nationality, but I am a permanent resident (of the US in my case.)

My experience with NEXUS has been very similar to US and Canadian citizens. The main difference is that the Nexus card DOES NOT work as proof of citizenship for me, nor does it meet WHTI requirements. So I can't ever cross borders with NEXUS alone, regardless of mode.

To enter the US, I use my US-issued green card. As a Canadian PR, you would have to use whatever you need based on your actual nationality -- most likely either ESTA or an actual visa.

To enter Canada, I use my European passport, which allows me to enter Canada as a tourist without a visa. However, I need a Canadian eTA to enter by air (which is silly, NEXUS screening is much stricter than eTA screening.) In your case, you should be able to just use your Canadian permanent resident card.

Driving across, I always proffer these documents. Some inspectors want to see them, some don't. But crossing without them is a violation. If you are asked and don't have the right documents on you, you are likely to both be turned back AND lose NEXUS. So don't do that. You also still need your NEXUS card to wave at the RFID scanner.

Flying (which I've only tried entering the US) I use my green card on the scanner that normally wants your US or Canadian passport. Other than that variation, the process is the same -- fingerprint, answer questions, take receipt. I haven't tried air mode in Canada yet, but I understand they use the retina scan instead of the US fingerprints. Actually kind of curious to try that some day.

Hope this information was helpful.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by quasar81
I am Canadian PR, have a US I-94 valid until December 2017. My Nexus card is valid till 2020.

I have never used Nexus to enter US although I have used to enter back into Canada. I flew to US last month but used regular lane at airport.

I plan traveling by car to US at Blaine border in Nexus lane in October 2017;
Will I have to go into Nexus office at the border crossing to "link" my valid I-94 to my nexus card?, or you think I can just drive through since my I-94 is valid till Dec.

Thanks for looking into this. Cheers!!
Anything on above guys...
Old Jul 17, 2017, 6:27 am

When we had the conditional application approval, were their investigations done in full? When we go to the evaluation it only validates the documents?

30 years ago in USA NY state I got a speed ticket, I returned the ticket by mail Canada and then since that time I have never gotten back to concerm the ticket ... I never had a problem to go in USA .... Do you know if I can have the Nexus card ?

Last edited by TWA884; Jul 17, 2017 at 10:54 am Reason: Merge consecutive posts by the same member for readability

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.