Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 3, 2013, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Current NEXUS Information messages can be found in the following thread:

The NEXUS Information Thread

Welcome to the Travel Safety/Security Trusted Travelers Forum Nexus Information Wiki! This resource will appear at the top of every page within this thread to help users learn more about this program.

About NEXUS

NEXUS is designed to expedite the border clearance process for low-risk, pre-approved travellers into Canada and the United States.

The Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA) and U.S. Customs & Border Patrol (CBP) are cooperating in this joint venture to simplify border crossing for members while enhancing security.

Program benefits

If you are approved to participate in NEXUS, you will receive a membership identification card to use when entering Canada or the United States at all designated NEXUS air, land and marine ports of entry.

Membership will enable airline passengers to save time by:
  • using automated self-serve kiosks in dedicated areas at designated international airports;
  • using NEXUS/SENTRI lanes at land crossings when/where available. NEXUS lanes entering Canada will likely have a constant red traffic signal. This is to discourage non-NEXUS members from using the lane. Canada-bound NEXUS land crossing operating hours. All occupants must have NEXUS cards when using NEXUS lane entering Canada. At some locations, the NEXUS lane, the inspection booth is not staffed but there should be a call button. When entering US in a NEXUS/SENTRI lane, all occupants must carry either NEXUS, Global Entry, or SENTRI cards (or any combination thereof). Notable exception is Whirlpool Bridge which requires a NEXUS card to open the toll gate on the Canadian side to cross to the US..
  • As of 17 MAY 2017 - NEXUS members no longer need to complete a paper CBSA Declaration Card (Form E311) when using a NEXUS self-serve kiosk at any Canadian airport where NEXUS is available. (Refer to post #10421)
  • using the Trusted Traveller Canadian Air Transport Security Authority (CATSA) Security Line at major and select medium-sized Canadian airports to expedite airport pre boarding security screening. For detailed information, please visit the CATSA Web site.

Join NEXUS

Here are the steps for becoming a member. There is a non-refundable processing fee of CAN$50 or US$50 per applicant for a five-year membership card.

About NEXUS
Eligibility
How to apply
Enrolment process

Key points about the program as found by forum members:
  • NEXUS cardholders must advise of ANY changes to their vital information such as passport numbers/validity, visa status, legal names, primary residence, criminal convictions, and employment if it impacts your eligibility in the program.
  • It's normal to find the first in-person NEXUS interview to be months into the future, but a little patience and regular checks on the TTP website almost always yields an interview date much sooner.
  • Each person who wants to participate in the NEXUS program must fill out a separate application form. There is no fee for applicants under the age of 18.
  • If traveling with non-NEXUS family members NEXUS cardholders are required to use the regular customs lines.
  • There is a zero tolerance policy and membership can be terminated for infractions including not having your NEXUS card on you and using the NEXUS lane and not declaring items on your customs declaration card, though members have reported some leniency being granted for such infractions in the past.
  • Private companies may offer services for submitting your application and charge an additional processing fee but these extra charges are not part of the official NEXUS application fee. Expedited services offered by such companies will not assist in speeding up the application process.

Updating Passport with Canada for NEXUS

As per CBSA website, updates to passport information can be handled on TTP.
Please note that NEXUS members are not required to report to an Enrolment Centre to update or change their passport information with the CBSA.
This is supported by data points in post 11122 and 11132.

Some FT members don't trust instructions provided by CBSA and recommend the following:
Call the Canadian Processing Centre with responsibility for residents of the United States:
  • 800-842-7647 --- Monday to Friday, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm (Eastern Time)

After going through the phone tree to reach a Nexus representative, advise them that you need to update your US passport with Canada.

The representative will give you an email address and instructions to scan your updated passport picture page (include your trusted traveler number on the scan) and then email it to a particular email address. I was advised to put the representative's name in the email message so that he could process the update on the Canadian side. He confirmed that any passport update in TTP does not reach Canada. NOTE: FT members have been able to enter Canada without any issues by updating passport online only.

He specifically requested that only the telephone number be posted (and not the email address).

In case the telephone number doesn't work, here's the webpage where the phone number is posted: Canada Border Services Agency - NEXUS - General Information
Note:

US citizens/residents who have both Global Entry and NEXUS cards and who renew the Global Entry membership whilst their NEXUS card is active, will not be able to renew the NEXUS card until after it expires. The option to do so disappears from the TTP website.
Dear mxzblftspk,

Your NEXUS membership is not set to expire until July 11 2016.

As an approved NEXUS member, you added Global Entry for an additional $100. When you completed your Global Entry application, you received a Global Entry card. When you activated the Global Entry Card, your NEXUS Card was deactivated and the option to renew NEXUS was removed from your account.

If you wish to renew NEXUS, you will have to wait for your NEXUS membership to expire. Once it expires, you will have the option within your TTP online account to renew NEXUS. After you follow all of the steps to become a NEXUS member again, including the completion of an interview at a NEXUS Enrollment Center near the Canadian border, you will receive a new NEXUS card and will have Global Entry benefits at no additional cost.

When your Global Entry account expires 5 years after your application, do not renew it. Global Entry benefits are included with your NEXUS membership.

It is our goal to provide you the best information we have in response to your question. If you follow the information provided in our response, and still need assistance, please reply to this email and we will investigate how we may further assist you.

Thank you again for contacting the CBP INFO Center.

Sincerely,

CBP INFO Center
Print Wikipost

Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2016, 1:24 am

Programs: 1 thousand
Originally Posted by Finkface
Exactly. If a hassle at an airport can be avoided by updating, why go through the inconvenience of not being able to actually use the Nexus privilege? Plus, it necessitated a trip to an office anyway. So why not just advise people to do it right the first time and avoid the inconvenience of Nexus not working for them and still having to go through the same process at an office anyway? And the very small risk of getting a by-the-book officer and dealing with THAT hassle.
Maybe there happen to be a lot of Nexus members who don't live in Canada, and therefore have to cross the Canadian border _before_ accessing a Nexus office? So knowing whether or not they can try the Nexus lane without updating the Nexus system might be useful knowledge (and/or not unnecessarily scaremongering them into avoiding Nexus altogether).

In fact I know plenty of Nexus members who are nowhere near a Nexus office, and only use the Nexus component once every 3 years (whereas they use GE regularly).
Old Nov 4, 2016, 7:23 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by flyquiet
Splitting hairs really.
If you can't *use* the privileges, do you *have* it?

Raise your hand if you think stopping in the office is to prevent expulsion, and only for that reason.
Anybody?

I certainly am not even thinking about expulsion, and if you think that is the sole reason people recommend it, you might be reading the thread selectively.

I'm doing it for a few reasons, including the above (1) uninterrupted continuity of privileges, (2) because I am a nice person and they asked me to, and (3) it's not a big freaking deal. The place is right there and, as I am travelling, it does not require a special trip.
Based on your response, I'm not certain if you are fully aware of the history of the disagreement on this topic. Perhaps you were not involved in those discussions at that time.

If you refer back to post #9791, you'll see that disagreement is on the risk of losing NEXUS (as in being expelled) for not updating expired passport in person in CBSA.

There is a difference between interruption and expulsion.

Let's say I just got a new passport to replace my expired one last week but I have no plans to travel to Canada until Summer 2017 because I don’t live near the border.

Fearmongering that if you don't update CBSA in person, you risk being kicked out of NEXUS compels me to make a trip to Canada now solely for the purpose of updating "The Darned Documents In The Office" vs. I'll update in GOES now and drop by CBSA when I enter Canada next summer and even then, short of NEXUS kiosk or CBSA officer checking NEXUS receipt at exit informs you, most people wouldn't even be aware there is a Step 2 (update in person with CBSA) involved.
Old Nov 4, 2016, 8:42 am

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
I have been on this thread for about 4 years and have more or less kept on top of it.
I am aware there is disagreement.
However, I would not say that expulsionists constitute the majority of the sub-group that recommend or strongly recommend updating.
I see YOU characterizing the "update-in-person camp" as fear-mongering about expulsion. I don't read update-in-person arguments as predicated on that possibility alone. I have interpreted some posts as being told to update in person when they had their interview but I don't see strong contention that those people believed expulsion would result. Like you, I don't recall anyone saying it had actually happened. I do see a LOT of "why take a chance?" and "why NOT do it if it is convenient?"
If you are sitting in a Dunkin' in the middle of Kansas, by all means don't sweat it. Next time you get near the Canadian border, do it.
I crossed the Canadian border twice or three times after getting a new passport because I crossed before office opened or after it had closed. I updated on GOES but could not get to the office in person.
On one occasion there was a bit of aggravation but I forget what it was. I had to go the regular non-GE/NEXUS way or something. Obviously my privileges were not rescinded. I felt confident that it would be clear from my travel history that I had not blown off any opportunities to update in person.
I joined the program to avoid interruption. The first time I approached the border during office hours, I updated, five minutes in and out.
Old Nov 4, 2016, 9:04 am
Original Member

flyquiet - Sorry for the tone in prior post. I was going to update it but saw that you already responded.
Old Nov 4, 2016, 10:15 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by flyquiet
I have been on this thread for about 4 years and have more or less kept on top of it.
I am aware there is disagreement.
However, I would not say that expulsionists constitute the majority of the sub-group that recommend or strongly recommend updating.
I see YOU characterizing the "update-in-person camp" as fear-mongering about expulsion. I don't read update-in-person arguments as predicated on that possibility alone. I have interpreted some posts as being told to update in person when they had their interview but I don't see strong contention that those people believed expulsion would result. Like you, I don't recall anyone saying it had actually happened. I do see a LOT of "why take a chance?" and "why NOT do it if it is convenient?"
If you are sitting in a Dunkin' in the middle of Kansas, by all means don't sweat it. Next time you get near the Canadian border, do it.
I crossed the Canadian border twice or three times after getting a new passport because I crossed before office opened or after it had closed. I updated on GOES but could not get to the office in person.
On one occasion there was a bit of aggravation but I forget what it was. I had to go the regular non-GE/NEXUS way or something. Obviously my privileges were not rescinded. I felt confident that it would be clear from my travel history that I had not blown off any opportunities to update in person.
I joined the program to avoid interruption. The first time I approached the border during office hours, I updated, five minutes in and out.
This.
Well said, and exactly what I was trying to convey in my OP. You captured it it far better than I did. No fearmongering, but let's just tell people what we now know to be true - an in-person update is required regardless of what the website says because just updating in GOES does not communicate the new information to the Canadian side.
Old Nov 4, 2016, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by seawolf
Seems to me Geoflying's account is proof you don't risk losing NEXUS for following CBSA website instructions in regards to updating passport.
Well, I would argue that it is proof that GEOflying didn't lose Nexus for not updating in person - not that there's no risk to any given member. I don't know 100% that it doesn't mean there is no risk. Get the wrong agent on the wrong day, and who knows? That's why no matter what, I always update in person.

Originally Posted by surreycrv
Risk is the operative word. Like in the thread where a GE member lost his privileges over food being in his luggage at Peace Arch train crossing. He did not use GE at that time, but was still stripped of the credential for failing to comply.
IME, it doesn't matter whether you are using it or not, GE and Nexus are trusted traveler programs - when you've violated that trust, what else is left? Does it matter what program (or not) you were entering in on the time. Any customs violation within recent period of time (what is it, 5 years? longer?) will deny one Nexus. It's very possible once the violation was put in the system, it was connected to their trusted traveler profile, it was automatically revoked.

So why not just advise people to do it right the first time and avoid the inconvenience of Nexus not working for them and still having to go through the same process at an office anyway?
This. Just update the Canadian website to say - you must report passport updates in person. End of story. Everything is solved.
Old Nov 4, 2016, 11:58 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by emcampbe
Well, I would argue that it is proof that GEOflying didn't lose Nexus for not updating in person - not that there's no risk to any given member. I don't know 100% that it doesn't mean there is no risk. Get the wrong agent on the wrong day, and who knows? That's why no matter what, I always update in person.
Except Geoflying's four post in this thread clearly indicates he went into the enrollment centre with the intent of updating his iris scan and not for passport updates. CBSA determined nothing wrong with iris scan but that passport information was out of date.

CBSA updated passport and sent him on his way. Does not sound like CBSA was upset that passport information was out of date nor did CBSA warned him "never to do it again" as in failure to update passport in person (earlier).

Sounds like Geoflying followed written CBSA instructions on updating passport in GOES only and concluded that he fulfilled his NEXUS responsibilities until kiosk stopped working for him, and (mistakenly) concluded iris scan was the problem which then led him to show up at an enrollment centre.

As mentioned previously, if I have no plans to travel to Canada for 180 days after I get a new passport, am I considered delinquent? What if I have no plans to travel to Canada for 2 years?

From a process flow perspective, being expelled from NEXUS for not updating with CBSA in person does not make any sense given official written instructions on CBSA, from the example I just provided above, and the data points on FT.

As long as CBSA website instruction continue to state update in GOES only, the only reasonable response from CBSA when you do show up at enrollment office because NEXUS kiosk flags you or CBSA officer collecting NEXUS receipt directs you to is to update passport and bid you a good day.

Any other response would just a be rogue CBSA agent having a bad day and which case, he could just as easily expel you from NEXUS for showing up to update passport without an appointment or showing up right before they close for lunch, having a beard when your passport does not have one, or changing your hair color, etc.
Old Nov 4, 2016, 1:04 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Except Geoflying's four post in this thread clearly indicates he went into the enrollment centre with the intent of updating his iris scan and not for passport updates. CBSA determined nothing wrong with iris scan but that passport information was out of date.

CBSA updated passport and sent him on his way. Does not sound like CBSA was upset that passport information was out of date nor did CBSA warned him "never to do it again" as in failure to update passport in person (earlier).

Sounds like Geoflying followed written CBSA instructions on updating passport in GOES only and concluded that he fulfilled his NEXUS responsibilities until kiosk stopped working for him, and (mistakenly) concluded iris scan was the problem which then led him to show up at an enrollment centre.

As mentioned previously, if I have no plans to travel to Canada for 180 days after I get a new passport, am I considered delinquent? What if I have no plans to travel to Canada for 2 years?

From a process flow perspective, being expelled from NEXUS for not updating with CBSA in person does not make any sense given official written instructions on CBSA, from the example I just provided above, and the data points on FT.

As long as CBSA website instruction continue to state update in GOES only, the only reasonable response from CBSA when you do show up at enrollment office because NEXUS kiosk flags you or CBSA officer collecting NEXUS receipt directs you to is to update passport and bid you a good day.

Any other response would just a be rogue CBSA agent having a bad day and which case, he could just as easily expel you from NEXUS for showing up to update passport without an appointment or showing up right before they close for lunch, having a beard when your passport does not have one, or changing your hair color, etc.
I just don't get what all this discussion is about, frankly. My suggestion was that we tell people who come here looking for this information that it is necessary to update in person despite what the website says. Whether they do it or whether, like you, they choose to wait until the next time they are in town or whether they say screw it and never do it at all is up to them. Why muddy the waters with all of this pointless discussion?

People come here seeking information or they would never ask the question. Let's just give them the correct information amd they can do with it what they will based on their risk tolerance, travel patterns and needs.

But all this discussion just serves to confuse people more. Why would you intentionally mislead or confuse someone who asks the simple question "do I need to update in person 'cause the website says I don't but I was told by an officer that I do"? Just say yes. Because we now know that to be irrefutably true. Why would you tell them otherwise? They can then make their own decision on whether they can/should/want to.
Old Nov 4, 2016, 4:32 pm
Original Member

I just don't get what all this discussion is about, frankly. My suggestion was that we tell people who come here looking for this information that it is necessary to update in person despite what the website says. Whether they do it or whether, like you, they choose to wait until the next time they are in town or whether they say screw it and never do it at all is up to them. Why muddy the waters with all of this pointless discussion?

People come here seeking information or they would never ask the question. Let's just give them the correct information amd they can do with it what they will based on their risk tolerance, travel patterns and needs.

But all this discussion just serves to confuse people more. Why would you intentionally mislead or confuse someone who asks the simple question "do I need to update in person 'cause the website says I don't but I was told by an officer that I do"? Just say yes. Because we now know that to be irrefutably true. Why would you tell them otherwise? They can then make their own decision on whether they can/should/want to.
I think we are discussing two different things here. I'm discussing that there is no risk to being expel from NEXUS for not updating in person and stating there is a risk is fearmongering. This is backed by CBSA website, and small amount of datapoints on FT. That is the my focus. I think you are interpreting beyond that scope.

The only thing that is misleading in all of this is the claim that one risk expulsion from NEXUS for not updating in person because it is misleading one to think despite my next travel plan to Canada is 6 months away, 18 months away or never, I'm risking expulsion from NEXUS unless I make a trip up to Canada right away after I get a new passport in hand so that I can update in person. I understand you are not in the camp making this claim.

In reality, the only risk for not updating in person appears to be risk of interruption of Canada-bound NEXUS privileges until one appear before CBSA officer in NEXUS enrollment centre.

You appear to be based out of YVR so visiting an enrollment centre, so it is easy for you to say, just update in person but many of us don't live near an enrollment centre so it is important to clarify whether the risk is expulsion from NEXUS or mere interruption of Canada-bound NEXUS privileges.

Interruption on the CBSA side means:
1.) No interruption to PreCheck or to enter US with GE.
2.) NEXUS privilege being restored after update in person

Expulsion means no US-benefits and having to appeal and/or reapply/paying another enrollment fee/go thru interview process.

Another example. Let's say I'm based in US and put on a 9-month engagement in Canada with weekly travel. After being sent to secondary multiple times so that CBSA can review all my documents are in order to support NAFTA entry as business visitor, I pay the $50 and enroll in NEXUS because it also includes PreCheck and GE. After my Canadian project is over, my travel for the remaining of 5-year NEXUS period does not involve Canada (or perhaps I'm not returning Canada until Year 4). If not updating in person is merely risk to interruption on the CBSA side (or until I return in Year 4), I could care less. Whereas on the other hand, if not updating in person means expulsion from NEXUS, then I lose PreCheck and GE.

I hope I clearly illustrate that my discussion here is limited what the risk of not updating in person is and that that is a distinction between expulsion and interruption on the CBSA side. So far, there is no data point here to indicate expulsion from NEXUS but only interruption of Canada-bound NEXUS privileges.

Last edited by seawolf; Nov 4, 2016 at 5:15 pm
Old Nov 4, 2016, 5:17 pm

I think we are discussing two different things here. I'm discussing that there is no risk to being expel from NEXUS for not updating in person and stating there is a risk is fearmongering. This is backed by CBSA website, and small amount of datapoints on FT. That is the my focus. I think you are interpreting beyond that scope......
But who ever suggested there was a risk of expulsion from Nexus? I know I never did. Why are we even discussing that as a possibility when we all agree it is unlikely? That (the perceived risk of expulsion) was raised by you, seawolf, in your first post following mine, post #10099.

No one raised the issue of possible risk - you did. No one is arguing that expulsion is a real possibility so why keep bringing it up? You are trying to convince us that there is little risk of expulsion when we all agree with that.
Old Nov 4, 2016, 9:43 pm

I hope we can now stop telling people not to go in and update in person, despite what is written on the website or what some think the rules are, etc. It is clear - updating in GOES does not update the Canadian side of things and an in-person trip is necessary.
Just a point—it's not just "the website" that says updating in person is not necessary. All published documentation from CBSA says that updating in GOES is all that is required and in-person visits to the office are not necessary.

It's clear to me that CBSA is supposed to get updates of changes made in GOES. CBSA certainly expects to be getting them, based on what all the published rules and guidelines say.

But the multiple reports from people here on flyertalk make it clear that GOES changes are not being pushed through to CBSA in some cases. The explanation that makes the most sense to me is that there is a computer glitch preventing the data from getting through. Naturally, we NEXUS members can't be held responsible for CBSA/CBP's IT problems.

Sure, update in person at a CBSA office to be safe. But don't panic if you don't or can't. You'll be fine.
Old Nov 4, 2016, 10:01 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Note:

FlyerTalk Rule 12.2:
Avoid Getting Personal

If you have a difference of opinion with another member, challenge the idea — NOT the person. Getting personal with another member is not allowed. Personal attacks, insults, baiting and flaming will not be tolerated.
Old Nov 5, 2016, 11:13 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Note:

WARNING!
Yesterday, I posted a reminder of the FT Rule about getting personal.

Some of the thread participants have continued to post personal exchanges.

This thread is not about who posted what. If the information is wrong, post the correct information, preferably with a citation or corroboration.

Baiting, flaming and personal challenges will not be tolerated.

Post have been deleted.

Future violators will lose their posting privileges for a minimum of seven days without further warning.
Old Nov 5, 2016, 11:19 am
Original Member

deleted
Old Nov 5, 2016, 9:17 pm

Programs: National EE, Enterprise Platinum, Hertz President's Circle, NEXUS
So my experience with NEXUS so far. I crossed a land border 4 times in 3 days in both directions.

First Crossing into the United States:
- Forgot to activate my NEXUS card before approaching the checkpoint. U.S. CBP agent treated me like I'm an idiot and berated me for several minutes before seizing my NEXUS card and sending me to secondary inspection to verify my identity.
- Spent less than four minutes in secondary inspection. They called me up to the desk, held up the card next to my head to verify it's me and asked me to verify my home address. Gave me a verbal reminder to activate it being crossing back into the United States.
- Asked if I could pop my trunk for a quick inspection. I had purchased a bouquet of flowers in Canada to bring over to the United States for someone and the secondary inspection CBP agent FLIPPED out. It's 100% my fault for not checking what I'm allowed to bring across the border but didn't think grocery store bought flowers aren't OK. CBP Sergeant came out to talk to me and told me I could keep them and to not do it again. Was nervous as it could have resulted in me being shot
- Asked me a bunch of in-depth questions including a funny one such as why would I bring a rental vehicle... because I don't own a car?
- Overall it took 10 minutes and all of it was my fault.

First crossing back into Canada:
- Took me a bit longer because I loaded my NEXUS card with funds so I could use it to pay the border toll prior to crossing back into Canada.
- Asked if I had anything to declare and was waved on.
- Quick and painless.
- Crossing took approximately 60 seconds.

Second crossing into the United States:
- Asked if I had anything to declare and was waved on.
- Quick and painless.
- Crossing took approximately 60 seconds.

Second crossing back into Canada:
- This one took a bit longer. Approximately 3-4 minutes. CBSA agent was nosy. She asked me why I was in the United States, where did I visit, the reason for my visit, where I stayed, how long I stayed, if I traveled alone, if I met anyone in the United States and finally if I had anything to declare.
- Crossing took approximately 3-4 minutes.

Nobody asked me why I crossed back and forth twice in a span of 3 days. Fantastic.

My question is: Do I have to legally answer CBSA questions other than the question about if I have anything to declare? What business is it of theirs? I'm a Canadian citizen, they cannot deny me re-entry.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.