Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 3, 2013, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Current NEXUS Information messages can be found in the following thread:

The NEXUS Information Thread

Welcome to the Travel Safety/Security Trusted Travelers Forum Nexus Information Wiki! This resource will appear at the top of every page within this thread to help users learn more about this program.

About NEXUS

NEXUS is designed to expedite the border clearance process for low-risk, pre-approved travellers into Canada and the United States.

The Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA) and U.S. Customs & Border Patrol (CBP) are cooperating in this joint venture to simplify border crossing for members while enhancing security.

Program benefits

If you are approved to participate in NEXUS, you will receive a membership identification card to use when entering Canada or the United States at all designated NEXUS air, land and marine ports of entry.

Membership will enable airline passengers to save time by:
  • using automated self-serve kiosks in dedicated areas at designated international airports;
  • using NEXUS/SENTRI lanes at land crossings when/where available. NEXUS lanes entering Canada will likely have a constant red traffic signal. This is to discourage non-NEXUS members from using the lane. Canada-bound NEXUS land crossing operating hours. All occupants must have NEXUS cards when using NEXUS lane entering Canada. At some locations, the NEXUS lane, the inspection booth is not staffed but there should be a call button. When entering US in a NEXUS/SENTRI lane, all occupants must carry either NEXUS, Global Entry, or SENTRI cards (or any combination thereof). Notable exception is Whirlpool Bridge which requires a NEXUS card to open the toll gate on the Canadian side to cross to the US..
  • As of 17 MAY 2017 - NEXUS members no longer need to complete a paper CBSA Declaration Card (Form E311) when using a NEXUS self-serve kiosk at any Canadian airport where NEXUS is available. (Refer to post #10421)
  • using the Trusted Traveller Canadian Air Transport Security Authority (CATSA) Security Line at major and select medium-sized Canadian airports to expedite airport pre boarding security screening. For detailed information, please visit the CATSA Web site.

Join NEXUS

Here are the steps for becoming a member. There is a non-refundable processing fee of CAN$50 or US$50 per applicant for a five-year membership card.

About NEXUS
Eligibility
How to apply
Enrolment process

Key points about the program as found by forum members:
  • NEXUS cardholders must advise of ANY changes to their vital information such as passport numbers/validity, visa status, legal names, primary residence, criminal convictions, and employment if it impacts your eligibility in the program.
  • It's normal to find the first in-person NEXUS interview to be months into the future, but a little patience and regular checks on the TTP website almost always yields an interview date much sooner.
  • Each person who wants to participate in the NEXUS program must fill out a separate application form. There is no fee for applicants under the age of 18.
  • If traveling with non-NEXUS family members NEXUS cardholders are required to use the regular customs lines.
  • There is a zero tolerance policy and membership can be terminated for infractions including not having your NEXUS card on you and using the NEXUS lane and not declaring items on your customs declaration card, though members have reported some leniency being granted for such infractions in the past.
  • Private companies may offer services for submitting your application and charge an additional processing fee but these extra charges are not part of the official NEXUS application fee. Expedited services offered by such companies will not assist in speeding up the application process.

Updating Passport with Canada for NEXUS

As per CBSA website, updates to passport information can be handled on TTP.
Please note that NEXUS members are not required to report to an Enrolment Centre to update or change their passport information with the CBSA.
This is supported by data points in post 11122 and 11132.

Some FT members don't trust instructions provided by CBSA and recommend the following:
Call the Canadian Processing Centre with responsibility for residents of the United States:
  • 800-842-7647 --- Monday to Friday, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm (Eastern Time)

After going through the phone tree to reach a Nexus representative, advise them that you need to update your US passport with Canada.

The representative will give you an email address and instructions to scan your updated passport picture page (include your trusted traveler number on the scan) and then email it to a particular email address. I was advised to put the representative's name in the email message so that he could process the update on the Canadian side. He confirmed that any passport update in TTP does not reach Canada. NOTE: FT members have been able to enter Canada without any issues by updating passport online only.

He specifically requested that only the telephone number be posted (and not the email address).

In case the telephone number doesn't work, here's the webpage where the phone number is posted: Canada Border Services Agency - NEXUS - General Information
Note:

US citizens/residents who have both Global Entry and NEXUS cards and who renew the Global Entry membership whilst their NEXUS card is active, will not be able to renew the NEXUS card until after it expires. The option to do so disappears from the TTP website.
Dear mxzblftspk,

Your NEXUS membership is not set to expire until July 11 2016.

As an approved NEXUS member, you added Global Entry for an additional $100. When you completed your Global Entry application, you received a Global Entry card. When you activated the Global Entry Card, your NEXUS Card was deactivated and the option to renew NEXUS was removed from your account.

If you wish to renew NEXUS, you will have to wait for your NEXUS membership to expire. Once it expires, you will have the option within your TTP online account to renew NEXUS. After you follow all of the steps to become a NEXUS member again, including the completion of an interview at a NEXUS Enrollment Center near the Canadian border, you will receive a new NEXUS card and will have Global Entry benefits at no additional cost.

When your Global Entry account expires 5 years after your application, do not renew it. Global Entry benefits are included with your NEXUS membership.

It is our goal to provide you the best information we have in response to your question. If you follow the information provided in our response, and still need assistance, please reply to this email and we will investigate how we may further assist you.

Thank you again for contacting the CBP INFO Center.

Sincerely,

CBP INFO Center
Print Wikipost

Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2016, 7:18 am

Programs: AC 75K, Marrott Platinum, BW Diamond, AP Diamond
Does anybody know what happens when you make a mistake on your application form? I applied for my wife, two kids and myself about a month ago - august 8th. On the application for my son, I made a mistake on his birthday? I put 2015 instead of 2013. There was no way for me to correct this since I didn't realize the error until the next day. I would think they would realize this rather easily since the date my son got his passport is summer of 2013 and that date is on there as well? Anyway, just wondering if they will impact any or all my applications. It has been about a month, I hear people saying it takes a couple of weeks?

thanks
Old Sep 7, 2016, 7:29 am

Originally Posted by notalk28
Does anybody know what happens when you make a mistake on your application form? I applied for my wife, two kids and myself about a month ago - august 8th. On the application for my son, I made a mistake on his birthday? I put 2015 instead of 2013. There was no way for me to correct this since I didn't realize the error until the next day. I would think they would realize this rather easily since the date my son got his passport is summer of 2013 and that date is on there as well? Anyway, just wondering if they will impact any or all my applications. It has been about a month, I hear people saying it takes a couple of weeks?

thanks
Per https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...ication-system

If you made an error and only realized it after you certified the application, you will not be able to correct it online until after your final interview. If you think you made an error that will significantly impact a decision to conditionally approve your application, you can submit your concern to us by clicking the "Submit a Complaint" option on the right side of the CBP INFO Center page. However, most errors are unlikely to cause problems so we urge you to wait until your interview to get it straightened out.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by Kiraly
One can verbally declare at the NEXUS lane if you are over or under the limit. Using the TDC is entirely optional. I only did it once; too much hassle.
Is there any place that it's documented to be optional?

The page I linked to upthread (http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/prog/nexu...terre-eng.html) is a bit confusing, but it seems to indicate:

Entering Canada:
Canadians: If over exemption, use NEXUS lane and TDC
Americans: May make an oral declaration [if within personal declaration]. No declaration required if within personal exemption. If over personal exemption, must use regular lane.

Entering the US:
Either nationality: May make an oral declaration if within personal exemption. If over personal exemption, must use regular lane.

I don't see an option for Canadian residents to make an oral declaration, but we all know that the online materials often contain conflicting information...

I also think it's crap that US residents must use regular lanes if over the exemption. Clearly, CBSA has the infrastructure to support handling that stuff if they allow Canadian residents to use the NEXUS lanes when over their exemptions, so why not extend that to US residents? (Not to mention the US policy being even worse in not allowing anyone, even their own citizens, to use the NEXUS lane if they are over...)
Old Sep 7, 2016, 3:51 pm

Since I got my nexus card in 2012, I haven't even seen a tdc box at B.C.borders. From my understanding they were actually removed.

I've done land crossings maybe ten to twenty times a year and have verbally declared every single time. I don't even know what a tdc form looks like
Old Sep 7, 2016, 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by crimsona
I've done land crossings maybe ten to twenty times a year and have verbally declared every single time. I don't even know what a tdc form looks like
Did you ever "bring goods in excess of your personal exemption entitlement"? If so, what happened?
Old Sep 7, 2016, 7:08 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
As above, I always do the verbal declaration. I was told this was fine both in my interview and again when I went in to update a document. The guy said if I wanted to use a TDC, I should just keep a couple on hand, but that really no one ever uses them at land crossings. Never even seen a TDC box even if I did want to use it. A couple of weeks ago, I was over my limit. The officer gave me the paper, I went into the office and paid. Exactly the same as if I had used the regular lane with no Nexus.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by Rare
Did you ever "bring goods in excess of your personal exemption entitlement"? If so, what happened?
I am Canadian, so our personal entitlement for a day trip under 24 hours is a whopping zero. It's 800 CAD if over 48 hours though

In short, I'm over every time except for the few times we do multi day road trips.

Verbal declaration, either get waived through or sent in to be taxed. Never under 100 CAD, once under 300, more often than not if over 400

I'd expect tobacco and alcohol imports to be taxed more heavily though, I never bring those across on a day trip
Old Sep 7, 2016, 8:19 pm

Programs: AC, Bonvoy, HH
My passport picture has me with a goatee. I recently grew a beard. I have my interview next week. My beard is not thick, and I maintain it closer to a long stubble. Is this going to cause an issue? Do the pictures need to be similar?
Old Sep 8, 2016, 3:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by laidback71
My passport picture has me with a goatee. I recently grew a beard. I have my interview next week. My beard is not thick, and I maintain it closer to a long stubble. Is this going to cause an issue? Do the pictures need to be similar?
Nope. I had no facial hair in passport picture, and plenty of it by time applied. Nope won't be a problem unless, you've now got the werewolf disease and your whole head is now covered in hair.
Old Sep 8, 2016, 6:37 am

Programs: AC, Bonvoy, HH
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Nope. I had no facial hair in passport picture, and plenty of it by time applied. Nope won't be a problem unless, you've now got the werewolf disease and your whole head is now covered in hair.
Only during a full moon! Aaooooooooo!!!
Old Sep 8, 2016, 11:36 pm

Originally Posted by jackal
Is there any place that it's documented to be optional?
The documentation all says things like "you may use" a TDC or "if you are using" a TDC. Nowhere does it say things like "you must use" or
"you have to use" a TDC. It's not required.

I only bothered with the TDC one time: the first time I crossed back in 2012. Far too much hassle. Verbal declarations are the way to go. Does anyone use the TDC's anymore?
Old Sep 9, 2016, 5:10 pm

Programs: A few, *G,
A few years back apparently it was mandatory at land crossings to use a TDC for Nexus while regular lane users would verbally declare. The officer was empowered with discretion about remitting taxes. That wasn't deemed fair to all so they discontinued the paper declaration.

It makes sense, why should a Nexus holder have to pay $5 when a regular lane user gets waved through over $20
Old Sep 12, 2016, 2:18 pm

Hi. Signed up here just to post my NEXUS experience. Sorry if this is the wrong thread. Seemed relevant. Anyway, here's my beginning-to-end (?) experience. (Spoiler alert: It doesn't end well, although it's something I expected.)

I applied back around mid-June for NEXUS. I was conditionally approved ~10 weeks later, in early-Sep. I tried to schedule an interview in Seattle. The earliest interview was on Jan. 7 @ 8 AM, with next one available about a month later. I ended up biting the bullet and driving up to Blaine yesterday.

Long story short, I got rejected a few hours after my interview. The process was about what I expected.

- I showed up 15 min. early for my interview, which was one of the first of the morning. They gave me some info on the program and on border crossings. I gave my passport, driver's license, birth certificate, and invite letter. Despite this, my interview started ~45 min. late. I know somebody was looking at my docs earlier because the clerk mentioned it when I asked her why people who came in after me were getting serviced first.
- When I was finally called, I was interviewed by an American man, with a Canadian woman who listened and chimed in on occasion with questions. The American was leading the questioning.
- The questioning was pretty thorough. Questions included if I had ever been fingerprinted before, why I had traveled to certain countries, details about my jobs, details about my visits to Canada in the previous year, minor details about people I had seen in my travels, minor details about my partner (she had come with me for most of my Canada visits), etc. They also wanted to know if I had any upcoming international travel (I do).
- When I was done, I had to wait another 5-10 min. for somebody to return my docs. When they were returned, the man who had interviewed me looked at me and simply said, "Just be sure to read everything." Despite his questioning (see below), I took it as an implication that I'd get NEXUS. I thanked him and left.
- ~5 hours later, I had my rejection letter. The reason for rejection? "You do not meet the program requirements at this time." I was bummed and am considering my next move but I knew this was a real possibility in my case.

So, here's a little about me, in case anybody stumbles across this and is in a similar situation. In the last five years, I've traveled to multiple countries that can raise eyebrows during questioning: Cuba, Egypt, Tunisia, multiple central African countries, and Iraq, all for tourism purposes. (Yes, you can go to Iraq as a tourist! It's fascinating on many levels, if also frustrating.) I also have a minor arrest (trespassing) from over 10 years ago where I was found innocent. I also, to be blunt, have long hair and do draw a bit of attention from authorities when I travel to other countries, albeit usually to confirm that I really do look like the person in my passport (short hair and no beard). While I know it's still possible to get NEXUS, I knew this could be an uphill battle.

What happened? Short of writing the ombudsman and getting a detailed reply (usually not the case, or so I've heard), I can only speculate. Any or all of the following crossed my mind.

- My appearance. I dressed reasonably, IMO (clean tan shorts and brandless long t-shirt), but it probably does help to do business casual. Not a requirement, obviously, but I'd imagine it helps. That and not having long hair and a long beard, especially when you've been visiting sketchy countries. Anyway, my passport photo shows me with short hair and no beard. I know that alone wasn't the problem, as plenty of people grow more hair and get accepted.
- The countries I visited. It's probably one thing to have gone to, say, Egypt and have that be the only high-interest country. When you're being questioned about 6-7 countries (mostly about your travel companions, if any), you probably need a silver tongue to get away with it. I did offer some paperwork whenever I could to show that everything was on the up-and-up. Hard to say if that helped or hurt. I'm not sure what good an Iraqi government invitation letter in Arabic does when dealing with people at a Canadian border....
- It was 9/11. (I went only because, long story short, it was the most convenient date I'll have for months.) Maybe they decided to be even more hardline?
- One or both of the agents may not have liked my answers. I hate hate hate dealing with authority figures and always get nervous. While I never lied, I tried to omit details whenever I could. They may have picked up on this. That and not being able to answer a couple of questions about an old government job I had. (Hey, it was 15 years ago, and they had me doing meaningless work.) I also stole a page from Henry Rollins. When the American felt the need to remind me that these countries were dangerous, I reminded him that our country isn't exactly a winter wonderland itself. I then said that everything is a calculated risk. Even if he respected what I said, admitting that you take any sort of risk probably isn't a good idea.
- The name of one of the companies I worked for in the past could have military implications, even though it actually doesn't. When I mentioned that I worked on software, the matter was dropped. (I'm guessing somebody looked up the company at some point.)
- Having an arrest on your record, even if it's relatively minor and has nothing to do with drugs (including alcohol), never helps. I tried to play coy when questioned - I was found innocent, after all - but the American insisted on getting more detail. So, I did my best to give a case overview without admitting guilt. I have no idea if that helped or hurt. I also have no idea if I could've played dumb and gotten away with it. (This was a state charge.) I'm not brave/crazy enough to try, though. In any event, if you're about to apply and have an arrest on your record, even if you've gotten it expunged at the state/local level, be honest. Getting it expunged from the NCIC is, AFAIK, an expensive and time-consuming task, and you'd still be lying if you said you had never been arrested.
- Maybe the Canadian voted for denial? The lady only asked a couple of questions about Canada but she had a slightly concerned look on her face the entire time. I tried to charm her a bit - she mentioned reading details, and I talked about some I had read - but that obviously didn't do the trick.
- Now that I think about it, CBP did search my car ~15 years ago when I was coming back from Canada. They found nothing other than a prank costume and let me go. Still, I wonder if that had anything to do with the rejection. Probably not, and I can't think of any place on the application where that would've gone, but still.... (Besides, if they really are rejecting people because they forgot to declare an apple, who knows if I brought back something minor that set them off.)

That's basically my story. I'm sure I left out some details. C'est la vie. If anybody has any ideas on how I should proceed, I'd love to hear them. Ideally, I'd love to appeal and get NEXUS. (I've heard lawyers can help, although that obviously costs $$$.) Realistically, I'd settle for just getting more detailed info regarding my rejection. Is this something that will pass in time? Should I never bother to apply again for any trusted traveler program?

Thanks.

Last edited by tom_qwerty; Sep 12, 2016 at 4:14 pm Reason: Clarified a few details.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 3:15 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Welcome to Flertalk, tom_qwerty.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 4:40 pm

Email addy for the Canadian side of the Champlain Nexus operation

LaColle is where you go for the iris scan after the Champlain interview
Originally Posted by Kiraly
I'm curious about that Updates: [email protected] email address shown at the bottom. What is that for? Emailing your updates instead of faxing?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.