Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread

Old Mar 3, 2013, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Current NEXUS Information messages can be found in the following thread:

The NEXUS Information Thread

Welcome to the Travel Safety/Security Trusted Travelers Forum Nexus Information Wiki! This resource will appear at the top of every page within this thread to help users learn more about this program.

About NEXUS

NEXUS is designed to expedite the border clearance process for low-risk, pre-approved travellers into Canada and the United States.

The Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA) and U.S. Customs & Border Patrol (CBP) are cooperating in this joint venture to simplify border crossing for members while enhancing security.

Program benefits

If you are approved to participate in NEXUS, you will receive a membership identification card to use when entering Canada or the United States at all designated NEXUS air, land and marine ports of entry.

Membership will enable airline passengers to save time by:
  • using automated self-serve kiosks in dedicated areas at designated international airports;
  • using NEXUS/SENTRI lanes at land crossings when/where available. NEXUS lanes entering Canada will likely have a constant red traffic signal. This is to discourage non-NEXUS members from using the lane. Canada-bound NEXUS land crossing operating hours. All occupants must have NEXUS cards when using NEXUS lane entering Canada. At some locations, the NEXUS lane, the inspection booth is not staffed but there should be a call button. When entering US in a NEXUS/SENTRI lane, all occupants must carry either NEXUS, Global Entry, or SENTRI cards (or any combination thereof). Notable exception is Whirlpool Bridge which requires a NEXUS card to open the toll gate on the Canadian side to cross to the US..
  • As of 17 MAY 2017 - NEXUS members no longer need to complete a paper CBSA Declaration Card (Form E311) when using a NEXUS self-serve kiosk at any Canadian airport where NEXUS is available. (Refer to post #10421)
  • using the Trusted Traveller Canadian Air Transport Security Authority (CATSA) Security Line at major and select medium-sized Canadian airports to expedite airport pre boarding security screening. For detailed information, please visit the CATSA Web site.

Join NEXUS

Here are the steps for becoming a member. There is a non-refundable processing fee of CAN$50 or US$50 per applicant for a five-year membership card.

About NEXUS
Eligibility
How to apply
Enrolment process

Key points about the program as found by forum members:
  • NEXUS cardholders must advise of ANY changes to their vital information such as passport numbers/validity, visa status, legal names, primary residence, criminal convictions, and employment if it impacts your eligibility in the program.
  • It's normal to find the first in-person NEXUS interview to be months into the future, but a little patience and regular checks on the TTP website almost always yields an interview date much sooner.
  • Each person who wants to participate in the NEXUS program must fill out a separate application form. There is no fee for applicants under the age of 18.
  • If traveling with non-NEXUS family members NEXUS cardholders are required to use the regular customs lines.
  • There is a zero tolerance policy and membership can be terminated for infractions including not having your NEXUS card on you and using the NEXUS lane and not declaring items on your customs declaration card, though members have reported some leniency being granted for such infractions in the past.
  • Private companies may offer services for submitting your application and charge an additional processing fee but these extra charges are not part of the official NEXUS application fee. Expedited services offered by such companies will not assist in speeding up the application process.

Updating Passport with Canada for NEXUS

As per CBSA website, updates to passport information can be handled on TTP.
Please note that NEXUS members are not required to report to an Enrolment Centre to update or change their passport information with the CBSA.
This is supported by data points in post 11122 and 11132.

Some FT members don't trust instructions provided by CBSA and recommend the following:
Call the Canadian Processing Centre with responsibility for residents of the United States:
  • 800-842-7647 --- Monday to Friday, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm (Eastern Time)

After going through the phone tree to reach a Nexus representative, advise them that you need to update your US passport with Canada.

The representative will give you an email address and instructions to scan your updated passport picture page (include your trusted traveler number on the scan) and then email it to a particular email address. I was advised to put the representative's name in the email message so that he could process the update on the Canadian side. He confirmed that any passport update in TTP does not reach Canada. NOTE: FT members have been able to enter Canada without any issues by updating passport online only.

He specifically requested that only the telephone number be posted (and not the email address).

In case the telephone number doesn't work, here's the webpage where the phone number is posted: Canada Border Services Agency - NEXUS - General Information
Note:

US citizens/residents who have both Global Entry and NEXUS cards and who renew the Global Entry membership whilst their NEXUS card is active, will not be able to renew the NEXUS card until after it expires. The option to do so disappears from the TTP website.
Dear mxzblftspk,

Your NEXUS membership is not set to expire until July 11 2016.

As an approved NEXUS member, you added Global Entry for an additional $100. When you completed your Global Entry application, you received a Global Entry card. When you activated the Global Entry Card, your NEXUS Card was deactivated and the option to renew NEXUS was removed from your account.

If you wish to renew NEXUS, you will have to wait for your NEXUS membership to expire. Once it expires, you will have the option within your TTP online account to renew NEXUS. After you follow all of the steps to become a NEXUS member again, including the completion of an interview at a NEXUS Enrollment Center near the Canadian border, you will receive a new NEXUS card and will have Global Entry benefits at no additional cost.

When your Global Entry account expires 5 years after your application, do not renew it. Global Entry benefits are included with your NEXUS membership.

It is our goal to provide you the best information we have in response to your question. If you follow the information provided in our response, and still need assistance, please reply to this email and we will investigate how we may further assist you.

Thank you again for contacting the CBP INFO Center.

Sincerely,

CBP INFO Center
Print Wikipost

Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread

Old Oct 9, 2015, 10:26 am

I'll also provide an update on the secondary thing - I checked Commercial Goods a couple weeks ago (I read later in the pamphlet that you are not supposed to use the NEXUS lane if you have commercial goods) returning from LAS and got the code on my printout for secondary. It was late at night in YYC, so there was no one else in secondary and the agents were chatting about what they were going to do that weekend. My commercial good was a sample from a vendor for testing video devices at a value of $25. There was no further investigation or interrogation after showing it to them. My total extra time going through secondary was less than 3 minutes, most of which was spent digging the package out of my luggage.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 10:57 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
I'll pile on about the food/secondary thing. I travel to HNL almost monthly and always check yes for food as I always have something edible with me. Whether it's macadamia nuts, cheese from Beecher's at SEA, coffee from a friend who lives on a coffee farm in Kona or just a snack in my carry on, there is always something that fits the loose definition of food. 10 times so far this year and each time, I hand the printout to the checker and tell them what I have. About half the time, s/he just waves me through and about half, I get sent to the first open agent who asks if that's it and also just sends me through, both times with some kind of scribble on the printout. Easy peasy and takes about 20 seconds longer than if I had nothing.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by YYCCL3
I'll also provide an update on the secondary thing - I checked Commercial Goods a couple weeks ago (I read later in the pamphlet that you are not supposed to use the NEXUS lane if you have commercial goods) returning from LAS and got the code on my printout for secondary. It was late at night in YYC, so there was no one else in secondary and the agents were chatting about what they were going to do that weekend. My commercial good was a sample from a vendor for testing video devices at a value of $25. There was no further investigation or interrogation after showing it to them. My total extra time going through secondary was less than 3 minutes, most of which was spent digging the package out of my luggage.
Yeah, the commercial goods thing is like russian roulette. A lot of officers don't know (or care) about the prohibition of bringing commercial goods by nexus users. However, many others will follow the regulations and will revoke Nexus membership immediately. Your best bet is to just not use Nexus that one time you're required to bring in commercial goods. The reason for the rule is that there are alternative program memberships for commercial importers whereas Nexus is for personal travel (including business trips if only the person and not company goods are moving). There is an exemption for personal business computers fyi to anyone reading this.

This rule is in the list of regulations they make you sign at your Nexus interview. If you claim ignorance when caught using Nexus with commercial goods it's not going to work! (so many people tell me they weren't told then I show them what they signed...)
Old Oct 9, 2015, 8:49 pm

Programs: AA - Plat, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Plat, Marriott - Gold, National - Exec, Amtrak - Select, NEXUS
Bringing commercial goods in the NEXUS lane can result in a 6 year ban from the NEXUS program.
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/prog/nexu...eng.html#_a3b1

To get an idea of how serious the rules are regarding this, the same 6 year ban applies when a member "transfers his/her card to another individual". Or bringing a prohibited firearm, controlled substances, plants, animals, or goods.

They mean business. I am careful to scrub my backpack that I carry everywhere prior to a trip to Canada. Too easy to accidentally bring a small material sample or a product brochure.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 6:40 am

I certainly realize I'm lucky to have gotten away with that time. I didn't pay too much attention to that section when signing up as at the time there was no conceivable reason for me to travel internationally on business - all of our operations are within Canada. Like I mentioned, I flipped through the pamphlet the next day and remembered that this is prohibited. The only reason I actually declared it as a commercial good is to be in 100% compliance... which is what the success of these programs relies upon. If I was to have gone through the regular lanes prior to being a Nexus member I wouldn't have even declared it on the form as it was such an inconsequential item. There was zero chance that any agent could have determined it was a commercial good by looking at the package or its contents. As Nazdoom stated happens often, I went to secondary with the seeming majority of agents who don't know or care about this rule - they were actually surprised and a bit miffed that I was sent to secondary for something as useless as what I had. After looking at my "good", the agent said "That's it? They sent you over here for this? You may go, please have a good night"

Certainly won't be doing it again anyway.

Last edited by YYCCL3; Oct 11, 2015 at 6:01 am Reason: correcting a typo for clarity
Old Oct 10, 2015, 6:20 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
What is the least obvious type of "commercial goods" item that would bother them, but that a traveller wouldn't have considered a commercial good, thereby being in unintended violation?

I think of merchandise when I think of "commercial goods" and it isn't surprising to see them explicitly define it as including samples because that is just merchandise given away free. YYCCL3 declared a professional tool involved with providing services commercially. That is less obvious to me, but I can comprehend that. Although many people use their laptops or tablets and apps / software as their professional tools, they have explicitly said "do not include laptops and cell phones". Thank heaven for that.

Business cards are used for commercial purposes but I would think they would want to see those declared even less than cell phones. Brochures? Seminar handouts?

I also think of commercial goods as something the traveller uses to deliver his or her business, and not items that the traveller might have received. I mean, everything you have in your carry-on was a commercial good to someone at some point. Suppose you go to a trade show and receive a stress ball with a logo on it, a DVD of a supplier's catalog or past projects or a limited version of their software they would like you to buy, or a sample of a tool or garment, or a little stuffed animal you're going to give your kid? Or you go to a conference and bring home handouts or buy a book? All of those things would be commercial goods in the hands of the person that took them TO the trade show or conference, but are they commercial goods in the hands of the recipient? (I'm presuming you include the value of any such items in your personal exemption declaration.)

So, what "commercial goods" might I encounter that I am at risk of failing to realize are commercial goods?
Old Oct 11, 2015, 7:59 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador
See's Candies and Nexus a bad combination

My family LOVES See's Candies. Especially the peanut butter crunchy ones. I can generate more happy family time with a box of See's Candies (though not the Chews, but I digress) than you can imagine.

But See's Candies and Nexus at YUL do not mix.

I am an honest soul so answered YES to the food question. Off to secondary. Do not pass Go. Do not collect $200.

While fun I admit since I almost got to be questioned by one of the customs guys featured on Border Security the 45 min detour to the bowels of Canada Border Security could have been avoided altogether if I had bypassed Nexus for the regular line.

But the family loved the chocolate!
Old Oct 17, 2015, 11:15 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles; Hilton HHonors; NEXUS; National Emerald Club Executive
Post Nexus interview experience

I had my Nexus interview today at the Fort Erie, Ontario enrollment office. Thought I'd share a bit of information about my experiences.

I am neither Canadian nor American, but I am a permanent resident of the United States. However, I chose to do my enrollment in Canada primarily so that I could take care of the iris scan at the same time.

When I arrived, there was a sign saying all NEXUS applicants had to sign in at the FAST office first. (FAST is a trusted traveler program for commercial truck drivers.) The FAST door was the next set of double doors over, so easy enough. I walked inside and gave my passport, driver license and green card to the CBSA official at the counter. After a short wait, he called me in for the interview.

The CBSA official was a bit gruff, but the interview was short -- he gave me "homework" (four sheets of paper explaining the rules for "Canadian non-residents") and pointed out a section that showed which violations would result in loss of Nexus membership. "Don't do those." He also asked if I regularly travel with anyone; when I mentioned vacations with my stepson, he suggested getting him a Nexus card as well. He pointed out that for children under 18, the cards are free of charge -- and that I would never want to go through the regular lanes again.

After this brief interview, it was back to the waiting room. A few minutes later, a US CBP official who mainly seemed REALLY bored with his job called me in for a photo and fingerprint. From there, I went from one chair to another in the same room, where a CBSA official did my iris scan.

With all of those steps done, it was time to go back outside to the actual Nexus office. After another wait (during which I wasn't sure if they actually knew I was there, as there was no receptionist behind the counter) I was called in for the second interview, this time with a US CBP official. Contrary to usual passport control experiences, that official was friendlier than the Canadian one. This one, too, gave me a bit of informational paperwork, this time more US-centric. We chatted a little bit about my travel patterns ("mostly for work in the US; mostly for leisure internationally"), a trip to Iceland I'd been on, and whether Niagara Falls was nicer from the US or Canadian side (Canadian, but the park on the US side is nicer.) Overall, it felt more like a conversation and less like an interview -- although I'm sure he got the information he wanted regardless. I did ask him some questions, primarily what would be different for me as a non-US citizen. He said "very little", but suggested I should probably carry my green card (uh, yeah). He didn't seem very sure of his response.

The whole process took about an hour. Overall, the whole process felt a little confused. The two separate offices, three separate waits, the fact that information was given out rather haphazardly (random pieces of paper from several people, and I got the impression I would've gotten different ones if I'd done the interview at a US office), the existence of a second office just for the final US CBP interview (everything else was done in the FAST office.)

There was no demonstration of how to use any kind of kiosk, and I felt the information given by the officials was relatively minimal. I'd be ok with that, but if I could make ONE suggestion, it would be collecting all the random pieces of paper into one coherent handbook that applicants can take home and read at their leisure. Or make it available on the CBP and CBSA web sites as a PDF. Or both.
Old Oct 18, 2015, 9:21 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA*1K, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
For the past few months I've been losing more than winning with getting TSA PreCheck when checking in with United in the US. I've had the same sort of problem with AC occasionally, and earlier this year I was told by Air Canada at LAS that it's due to my card.

Apparently the older cards (mine is 2010) don't swipe properly in the Air Canada system, or at least that's what the AC agent at LAS said. He said that even putting the numbers in manually didn't affect anything.

It's happened several times over the last few months - never when I check-in online, only when I do so at the airport.

Additionally, when checking in at Canadian AC desks, I've been told that they need my passport, and can't use my Nexu card.

Has anyone else had problems with their older version of the card?
Old Oct 18, 2015, 10:24 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Salisbury5
I am an honest soul so answered YES to the food question. Off to secondary. Do not pass Go. Do not collect $200.
As you say, never use Nexus if the answer to one of the questions is 'yes.' I know the lure of Nexus is strong, but get in the non-Nexus lane.

It always turns out better.
Old Oct 18, 2015, 10:30 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles; Hilton HHonors; NEXUS; National Emerald Club Executive
Originally Posted by Kiraly
They are still saying that? CBSA just updated their Updates to Personal Information page with this new information:

Please note that NEXUS members are not required to report to an Enrolment Centre to update or change their passport information with the CBSA.
I asked about this specifically during my interview, which was Saturday 10/17. The CBSA agent said they still do not get updates to GOES, and that I have to come in in person to update my passport.

My passport expires in 2021, so I'm going to hope they can figure this out by then. If not, I'll be going in person, I guess.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by gglave
As you say, never use Nexus if the answer to one of the questions is 'yes.' I know the lure of Nexus is strong, but get in the non-Nexus lane.

It always turns out better.
Answered yes to the food question on Friday in YYC to see what would happen b(had some chocolates as well). We had to talk to the agent anyway as we had the infant with us so no iris scan for her. Didn't get referred to secondary.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 10:04 am

Hello,

Wow there are over 600 pages in this thread so I apologize if this has already been asked and answered.

After contemplation about applying for the Nexus program (I only come to Canada once or twice a year, but I fly as well in the US often), I finally decided to just go for it. So I put in my application on September 28th. I am flying to YVR to teach a class on November 4th and will be there through the 10th so I was hoping to interview either on my way in or out of the airport.

Here's my question: it doesn't appear that I'll get my preapproval on time. If I don't can I hold off on my interview until I return to YVR in May 2016 or will I need to reapply?

thanks in advance,
Melinda
Old Oct 19, 2015, 10:17 am

The appointment calendar goes out pretty far, it used to be the case where even the first available appointment was four to five months out

By the time you get conditional approval, you should be able to choose a May date. If not, book the latest possible date and then push it later when the schedule opens up
Old Oct 19, 2015, 10:43 am

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
MelindaCST, I agree with crimsona. You must make the booking within a certain number of days of receiving conditional approval, but there is no requirement when that booking must occur. Once you have an appointment, you can login and change the date, time, and even the location of your interview to any available appointment, sooner in time or later in time. This is VERY common - most people do this to pounce on an earlier appointment that becomes available due to a cancellation. However it is entirely possible to just keep moving it to a later date. However, in the last 24 hours (I think) before the appointment, you can no longer reschedule online and have to do it by phone, which they may or may not answer. So just stay on top of it and keep moving it to a later date until you get a date that coincides with your planned travels. Make sure you allow enough time to complete the interview, i.e, consider doing it after your other business is completed so you aren't late for anything. We seem to see people beginning on time of their appointments, but that there are delays of various lengths in the middle of the interview when handed off to the other country personnel, etc.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.