Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 3, 2013, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Current NEXUS Information messages can be found in the following thread:

The NEXUS Information Thread

Welcome to the Travel Safety/Security Trusted Travelers Forum Nexus Information Wiki! This resource will appear at the top of every page within this thread to help users learn more about this program.

About NEXUS

NEXUS is designed to expedite the border clearance process for low-risk, pre-approved travellers into Canada and the United States.

The Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA) and U.S. Customs & Border Patrol (CBP) are cooperating in this joint venture to simplify border crossing for members while enhancing security.

Program benefits

If you are approved to participate in NEXUS, you will receive a membership identification card to use when entering Canada or the United States at all designated NEXUS air, land and marine ports of entry.

Membership will enable airline passengers to save time by:
  • using automated self-serve kiosks in dedicated areas at designated international airports;
  • using NEXUS/SENTRI lanes at land crossings when/where available. NEXUS lanes entering Canada will likely have a constant red traffic signal. This is to discourage non-NEXUS members from using the lane. Canada-bound NEXUS land crossing operating hours. All occupants must have NEXUS cards when using NEXUS lane entering Canada. At some locations, the NEXUS lane, the inspection booth is not staffed but there should be a call button. When entering US in a NEXUS/SENTRI lane, all occupants must carry either NEXUS, Global Entry, or SENTRI cards (or any combination thereof). Notable exception is Whirlpool Bridge which requires a NEXUS card to open the toll gate on the Canadian side to cross to the US..
  • As of 17 MAY 2017 - NEXUS members no longer need to complete a paper CBSA Declaration Card (Form E311) when using a NEXUS self-serve kiosk at any Canadian airport where NEXUS is available. (Refer to post #10421)
  • using the Trusted Traveller Canadian Air Transport Security Authority (CATSA) Security Line at major and select medium-sized Canadian airports to expedite airport pre boarding security screening. For detailed information, please visit the CATSA Web site.

Join NEXUS

Here are the steps for becoming a member. There is a non-refundable processing fee of CAN$50 or US$50 per applicant for a five-year membership card.

About NEXUS
Eligibility
How to apply
Enrolment process

Key points about the program as found by forum members:
  • NEXUS cardholders must advise of ANY changes to their vital information such as passport numbers/validity, visa status, legal names, primary residence, criminal convictions, and employment if it impacts your eligibility in the program.
  • It's normal to find the first in-person NEXUS interview to be months into the future, but a little patience and regular checks on the TTP website almost always yields an interview date much sooner.
  • Each person who wants to participate in the NEXUS program must fill out a separate application form. There is no fee for applicants under the age of 18.
  • If traveling with non-NEXUS family members NEXUS cardholders are required to use the regular customs lines.
  • There is a zero tolerance policy and membership can be terminated for infractions including not having your NEXUS card on you and using the NEXUS lane and not declaring items on your customs declaration card, though members have reported some leniency being granted for such infractions in the past.
  • Private companies may offer services for submitting your application and charge an additional processing fee but these extra charges are not part of the official NEXUS application fee. Expedited services offered by such companies will not assist in speeding up the application process.

Updating Passport with Canada for NEXUS

As per CBSA website, updates to passport information can be handled on TTP.
Please note that NEXUS members are not required to report to an Enrolment Centre to update or change their passport information with the CBSA.
This is supported by data points in post 11122 and 11132.

Some FT members don't trust instructions provided by CBSA and recommend the following:
Call the Canadian Processing Centre with responsibility for residents of the United States:
  • 800-842-7647 --- Monday to Friday, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm (Eastern Time)

After going through the phone tree to reach a Nexus representative, advise them that you need to update your US passport with Canada.

The representative will give you an email address and instructions to scan your updated passport picture page (include your trusted traveler number on the scan) and then email it to a particular email address. I was advised to put the representative's name in the email message so that he could process the update on the Canadian side. He confirmed that any passport update in TTP does not reach Canada. NOTE: FT members have been able to enter Canada without any issues by updating passport online only.

He specifically requested that only the telephone number be posted (and not the email address).

In case the telephone number doesn't work, here's the webpage where the phone number is posted: Canada Border Services Agency - NEXUS - General Information
Note:

US citizens/residents who have both Global Entry and NEXUS cards and who renew the Global Entry membership whilst their NEXUS card is active, will not be able to renew the NEXUS card until after it expires. The option to do so disappears from the TTP website.
Dear mxzblftspk,

Your NEXUS membership is not set to expire until July 11 2016.

As an approved NEXUS member, you added Global Entry for an additional $100. When you completed your Global Entry application, you received a Global Entry card. When you activated the Global Entry Card, your NEXUS Card was deactivated and the option to renew NEXUS was removed from your account.

If you wish to renew NEXUS, you will have to wait for your NEXUS membership to expire. Once it expires, you will have the option within your TTP online account to renew NEXUS. After you follow all of the steps to become a NEXUS member again, including the completion of an interview at a NEXUS Enrollment Center near the Canadian border, you will receive a new NEXUS card and will have Global Entry benefits at no additional cost.

When your Global Entry account expires 5 years after your application, do not renew it. Global Entry benefits are included with your NEXUS membership.

It is our goal to provide you the best information we have in response to your question. If you follow the information provided in our response, and still need assistance, please reply to this email and we will investigate how we may further assist you.

Thank you again for contacting the CBP INFO Center.

Sincerely,

CBP INFO Center
Print Wikipost

Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2013, 7:40 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
Originally Posted by atcanobbio
question:

so I applied for NEXUS back in November 2012, I used Passport #1 when I applied via GOES. Got initial approval in December 2012. I interviewed in March 2013 with Passport #2. Passport #1 expired in January, so I renewed and got Passport #2 in January 2013. I did NOT update anything in GOES when I got my passport. When I interviewed, I took both passports just in case the officials wanted to see the old one I initially used to apply for NEXUS. The officials never asked for the older passport, he asked for my new one and that's it. I ended up getting approved and I have a NEXUS card.

I'm traveling abroad next week for the first time since I got NEXUS and I'm wondering if I need to take my NEXUS card with me or will my passport have a record saying that I have NEXUS? Also, since I got a renewed passport before my nexus interview, will that new passport have any sort of record that I have nexus?
To quote the interviewer I met: "ALWAYS carry your NEXUS card with you."

The passport doesn't "inherit" the NEXUS properties. The NEXUS inherits the passport properties. (Not that you can leave your passport in the sock drawer - have it with you because you may be asked to produce it.)
Old Nov 19, 2013, 1:49 am

Programs: AC*E50, SPG Plat,
Originally Posted by flyquiet
To quote the interviewer I met: "ALWAYS carry your NEXUS card with you."

The passport doesn't "inherit" the NEXUS properties. The NEXUS inherits the passport properties. (Not that you can leave your passport in the sock drawer - have it with you because you may be asked to produce it.)
Yup, you want to use Nexus, you need to carry the card. You likely wouldn't need when clearing into Canada, but if you get spot checked for the card and you don't have it, bye bye Nexus.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 7:55 am

Hi everyone!

I applied for a NEXUS replacement card (not renewal!) on Oct 13 -- I did it online as soon as I realized it was missing. (Fell out of my passport holder in the airport somewhere!)

I just called to ask about processing times and she was very nice and helpful.

Protip: If you lose your NEXUS card, if at all possible visit a NEXUS office for the replacement. If you apply for a replacement online, the system treats it as if it's a renewal/new application. If you visit an office, you can just get a replacement and it's faster.

Now we know.

Also, she said (I'm a US Citizen and Canadian resident) processing times are 6-8 weeks right now.

Angela
Old Nov 22, 2013, 1:57 pm
7E7

Programs: AC*E75
NEXUS News

Just received this.

This official NEXUS Newsletter provides members with up-to-date information including new program enhancements.

What’s New?

NEXUS Lanes at the Land Border

As part of Beyond the Border commitments, an additional NEXUS lane has been added in Canada at Fort Erie, Ontario; Pacific Highway, British Columbia; and Queenston, Ontario.

For information on NEXUS lane hours of operation, visit www.nexus.gc.ca.

Canadian Air Transport Security Authority (CATSA) benefits

NEXUS dedicated lines for Canadian Air Transport Security Authority (CATSA) security screening, Trusted Traveller CATSA Security Lines (TTCSL) have been expanded to include select mid-sized airports. For a complete list of all airports that offer this benefit, visit
http://catsa.gc.ca/Page.aspx?ID=122&...apides&lang=en.

Please be aware of what you can and cannot bring into the TTCSL. Failure to comply can result in delays at the airport. http://catsa.gc.ca/Page.aspx?ID=58&p...ticles&lang=en

CATSA eGate at Vancouver International Airport

NEXUS members travelling through Vancouver International Airport’s domestic north checkpoint may notice a new procedure for validating NEXUS cards. CATSA is piloting an eGate that will verify your membership card and boarding pass electronically.

The eGate is positioned at the front of the Trusted Traveller screening line. It uses a touch screen that will prompt you to scan your boarding pass and NEXUS card to gain access to the screening area.

Transportation Security Administration (TSA) Pre-Check expanded to more U.S. airports

Pre-Check allows expedited security screening for domestic travel within the U.S. Canadian NEXUS members now enjoy TSA Pre-Check at 40 airports for domestic travel within the United States as well as international flights, including to Canada, when flying on the following airlines:

Alaska Airlines
American Airlines
Delta Air Lines
Hawaiian Airlines
United Airlines
US Airways, and
Virgin America.
For a list of participating airports see: http://www.tsa.gov/tsa-precheck/tsa-...ating-airports.

Reminder: Your Membership Obligations

Failure to comply with program obligations, including the updating of personal data and documents, may result in card revocation. Consult the NEXUS Member’s Guide so that you are fully aware of your membership obligations:

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicati...f5095-eng.html.

Did You Know?

No appointment is required to have your iris captured. If you have not done so, please visit a NEXUS Enrolment Centre today. This will allow you to use NEXUS self-serve kiosks for expedited entry into Canada or the U.S. at Canada’s eight major international airports.

If you have not done so already, please visit a NEXUS or Global Entry (GE) Enrolment Center, and have your fingerprints taken – no appointment necessary. All NEXUS members receive GE privileges, including use of GE kiosks, if we have your 10 fingerprints on file.

If you are a Canadian or U.S. citizen, you can use your NEXUS card when travelling by land, marine or air within or between Canada and the United States.

If travelling internationally, a passport is required.
Old Nov 22, 2013, 4:24 pm

Programs: DL GM,Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium, NEXUS
NEXUS Approvals are slow these days. Last year I applied on Sept 27th and was approved on October 17th. This year my parents applied on October 17th and are still pending after 5 weeks.
Old Nov 24, 2013, 1:09 am

Put the wife and kids in.

Applied Oct 7
Conditional approval Nov 19 (6 weeks)
Interviews scheduled by grabbing spots as cancellations popped up in Edmonton over the next 2 weeks. I just keep the page open and check every now and then. Was lucky and got 2 on the same day about 1 hour apart and really lucked out to get one late in the day when school gets out early so one of the kids doesn't need to miss any classes.

If we waited until the next regular block of appointments it would be late February and 2 trips missing the benefit.

Will be interesting to see if our youngest will be able to get the iris scan to work. Should have her practice with a mirror before we go.
Old Nov 24, 2013, 1:13 am

Programs: SPG Plat
When did you apply?

Originally Posted by sd5187
I just received my approval for a renewal of my Nexus and I did not require an interview even though I now have a new passport number. That being said I did register my new passport with them while my previous Nexus account was still valid.
Old Nov 24, 2013, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by QueBall

Applied Oct 7
Interviews scheduled by grabbing spots as cancellations popped up in Edmonton over the next 2 weeks. I just keep the page open and check every now and then. Was lucky and got 2 on the same day about 1 hour apart and really lucked out to get one late in the day when school gets out early so one of the kids doesn't need to miss any classes.

If we waited until the next regular block of appointments it would be late February and 2 trips missing the benefit.

Will be interesting to see if our youngest will be able to get the iris scan to work. Should have her practice with a mirror before we go.
The only problem is getting to and back from the airport-I imagine this would take 3.5+ hours from a residential area by public transport.
Old Nov 25, 2013, 1:16 am

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
The only problem is getting to and back from the airport-I imagine this would take 3.5+ hours from a residential area by public transport.
So transport plan to the interview.

Public transit to the Edmonton airport only became possible recently and it is not very frequent. They have some long term hope to run a train service out there but that is pretty far off.
The Bus out to the airport is route 747 . Cost is $5 each way or you can use 2 regular prepaid transit tickets to cover the fare.
According to their trip planner it would take me 94 minutes each way which is actually pretty good considering the distance.
The regular bus cash fare inside the city limits is $3.20 per person each way. So grand total of $32.80 for public transit option there and back for the interview. So basically taking the bus wouldn't be a great idea.

The airport in Edmonton is a pretty decent distance south of the city and I'm in the north side so it can be a good 1 hour drive at this time of the year with the snow and traffic.
Good news is the parking will not be terribly expensive for a short visit. The short term parking at the airport is $3.25 per 30 minutes last time I was there. When I did my own interview I only paid for 30 minutes. One trick is to make sure you bring the parking slip with you into the terminal. After your interview is done you can use the machine on arrivals level to pay and then you get about 15 minutes grace time to exit the parkade with your paid slip so you can stop the timer a bit early and not pay for the next half hour if you are getting close to when the clock would turn over on you. Also hate paying for parking at the exit in winter.

Edmonton civic politicians like to talk about making the city walkable and transportation friendly but realistically it is still a car culture here. There are many cities I have visited where I would readily consider getting rid of one or both cars but Edmonton is not one of them. I take the bus when it makes sense. I buy the prepaid ticket books (Actually stocked up before the last rate hike) but usually it's just for trips downtown or to sporting events when I'm travelling there alone.
Old Nov 25, 2013, 8:18 am

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS

Applied Oct 7

They usually say they will see family members consecutively even if the appointments are not consecutive as long as the appointments are on the same day, so it looks like you saved a lot of waiting time to grab two cancellation slots on the same afternoon. Good work!
Old Nov 25, 2013, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by flyquiet
They usually say they will see family members consecutively even if the appointments are not consecutive as long as the appointments are on the same day, so it looks like you saved a lot of waiting time to grab two cancellation slots on the same afternoon. Good work!
We were in and out very quickly today for the group of two appointments. Nobody else showed up while we were there. Maybe no shows, possibly just some time they blocked out to get some office work done (I didn't ask).

Youngest child is 5. We gave the iris camera a try on her but it did not work. USA also will not do fingerprint scanner at that age. I was advised to use the kiosk for the rest of the family and then go to the desk when we have our slips for the child who does not have iris and fingerprints registered.

One more kid to go.
Old Nov 25, 2013, 3:31 pm

Nexus Processing Time

Originally Posted by Reid
NEXUS Approvals are slow these days. Last year I applied on Sept 27th and was approved on October 17th. This year my parents applied on October 17th and are still pending after 5 weeks.

Hi Reid,

Let me know if you hear on the parents application as I applied at the same time, and is "Pending Review".

Regards,
Old Nov 25, 2013, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by somedude3210
Yup, you want to use Nexus, you need to carry the card. You likely wouldn't need when clearing into Canada, but if you get spot checked for the card and you don't have it, bye bye Nexus.
I think you mean 'for the passport'
Old Nov 25, 2013, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So transport plan to the interview.

Public transit to the Edmonton airport only became possible recently and it is not very frequent. They have some long term hope to run a train service out there but that is pretty far off.
The Bus out to the airport is route 747 . Cost is $5 each way or you can use 2 regular prepaid transit tickets to cover the fare.
According to their trip planner it would take me 94 minutes each way which is actually pretty good considering the distance.
The regular bus cash fare inside the city limits is $3.20 per person each way. So grand total of $32.80 for public transit option there and back for the interview. So basically taking the bus wouldn't be a great idea.

The airport in Edmonton is a pretty decent distance south of the city and I'm in the north side so it can be a good 1 hour drive at this time of the year with the snow and traffic.
Good news is the parking will not be terribly expensive for a short visit. The short term parking at the airport is $3.25 per 30 minutes last time I was there. When I did my own interview I only paid for 30 minutes. One trick is to make sure you bring the parking slip with you into the terminal. After your interview is done you can use the machine on arrivals level to pay and then you get about 15 minutes grace time to exit the parkade with your paid slip so you can stop the timer a bit early and not pay for the next half hour if you are getting close to when the clock would turn over on you. Also hate paying for parking at the exit in winter.

Edmonton civic politicians like to talk about making the city walkable and transportation friendly but realistically it is still a car culture here. There are many cities I have visited where I would readily consider getting rid of one or both cars but Edmonton is not one of them. I take the bus when it makes sense. I buy the prepaid ticket books (Actually stocked up before the last rate hike) but usually it's just for trips downtown or to sporting events when I'm travelling there alone.
Are your maths correct?
Tickets required (1 each way inside the city) *2=2 plus 2 each way to the airport is 6 (though it doesn't quite change the total cost being higher.)
6*2.4=14.40
In YVR I used a faresaver for 90 minutes and only have to use one as the interview itself and waiting for the next skytrain took less than an hour.
Old Nov 25, 2013, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
I think you mean 'for the passport'
If you use Nexus, you must carry the card with you, land, marine or air - and its very clearly listed in the guide. If you're using while traveling by air, you need the card and passport.

Now, personally, I haven't been checked when coming back into Canada by air that I can recall. And if using GE machines US-bound, you shouldn't need a Nexus card at any point. But when I was using Nexus US-bound at YYZ, I was asked to provide the card when handing in my customs form a not insignificant amount of times - sometimes almost 50% of the time if not more. somedude is correct - using Nexus without carrying the card will almost certainly result in the loss of membership.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.