Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread

Old Mar 3, 2013, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Current NEXUS Information messages can be found in the following thread:

The NEXUS Information Thread

Welcome to the Travel Safety/Security Trusted Travelers Forum Nexus Information Wiki! This resource will appear at the top of every page within this thread to help users learn more about this program.

About NEXUS

NEXUS is designed to expedite the border clearance process for low-risk, pre-approved travellers into Canada and the United States.

The Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA) and U.S. Customs & Border Patrol (CBP) are cooperating in this joint venture to simplify border crossing for members while enhancing security.

Program benefits

If you are approved to participate in NEXUS, you will receive a membership identification card to use when entering Canada or the United States at all designated NEXUS air, land and marine ports of entry.

Membership will enable airline passengers to save time by:
  • using automated self-serve kiosks in dedicated areas at designated international airports;
  • using NEXUS/SENTRI lanes at land crossings when/where available. NEXUS lanes entering Canada will likely have a constant red traffic signal. This is to discourage non-NEXUS members from using the lane. Canada-bound NEXUS land crossing operating hours. All occupants must have NEXUS cards when using NEXUS lane entering Canada. At some locations, the NEXUS lane, the inspection booth is not staffed but there should be a call button. When entering US in a NEXUS/SENTRI lane, all occupants must carry either NEXUS, Global Entry, or SENTRI cards (or any combination thereof). Notable exception is Whirlpool Bridge which requires a NEXUS card to open the toll gate on the Canadian side to cross to the US..
  • As of 17 MAY 2017 - NEXUS members no longer need to complete a paper CBSA Declaration Card (Form E311) when using a NEXUS self-serve kiosk at any Canadian airport where NEXUS is available. (Refer to post #10421)
  • using the Trusted Traveller Canadian Air Transport Security Authority (CATSA) Security Line at major and select medium-sized Canadian airports to expedite airport pre boarding security screening. For detailed information, please visit the CATSA Web site.

Join NEXUS

Here are the steps for becoming a member. There is a non-refundable processing fee of CAN$50 or US$50 per applicant for a five-year membership card.

About NEXUS
Eligibility
How to apply
Enrolment process

Key points about the program as found by forum members:
  • NEXUS cardholders must advise of ANY changes to their vital information such as passport numbers/validity, visa status, legal names, primary residence, criminal convictions, and employment if it impacts your eligibility in the program.
  • It's normal to find the first in-person NEXUS interview to be months into the future, but a little patience and regular checks on the TTP website almost always yields an interview date much sooner.
  • Each person who wants to participate in the NEXUS program must fill out a separate application form. There is no fee for applicants under the age of 18.
  • If traveling with non-NEXUS family members NEXUS cardholders are required to use the regular customs lines.
  • There is a zero tolerance policy and membership can be terminated for infractions including not having your NEXUS card on you and using the NEXUS lane and not declaring items on your customs declaration card, though members have reported some leniency being granted for such infractions in the past.
  • Private companies may offer services for submitting your application and charge an additional processing fee but these extra charges are not part of the official NEXUS application fee. Expedited services offered by such companies will not assist in speeding up the application process.

Updating Passport with Canada for NEXUS

As per CBSA website, updates to passport information can be handled on TTP.
Please note that NEXUS members are not required to report to an Enrolment Centre to update or change their passport information with the CBSA.
This is supported by data points in post 11122 and 11132.

Some FT members don't trust instructions provided by CBSA and recommend the following:
Call the Canadian Processing Centre with responsibility for residents of the United States:
  • 800-842-7647 --- Monday to Friday, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm (Eastern Time)

After going through the phone tree to reach a Nexus representative, advise them that you need to update your US passport with Canada.

The representative will give you an email address and instructions to scan your updated passport picture page (include your trusted traveler number on the scan) and then email it to a particular email address. I was advised to put the representative's name in the email message so that he could process the update on the Canadian side. He confirmed that any passport update in TTP does not reach Canada. NOTE: FT members have been able to enter Canada without any issues by updating passport online only.

He specifically requested that only the telephone number be posted (and not the email address).

In case the telephone number doesn't work, here's the webpage where the phone number is posted: Canada Border Services Agency - NEXUS - General Information
Note:

US citizens/residents who have both Global Entry and NEXUS cards and who renew the Global Entry membership whilst their NEXUS card is active, will not be able to renew the NEXUS card until after it expires. The option to do so disappears from the TTP website.
Dear mxzblftspk,

Your NEXUS membership is not set to expire until July 11 2016.

As an approved NEXUS member, you added Global Entry for an additional $100. When you completed your Global Entry application, you received a Global Entry card. When you activated the Global Entry Card, your NEXUS Card was deactivated and the option to renew NEXUS was removed from your account.

If you wish to renew NEXUS, you will have to wait for your NEXUS membership to expire. Once it expires, you will have the option within your TTP online account to renew NEXUS. After you follow all of the steps to become a NEXUS member again, including the completion of an interview at a NEXUS Enrollment Center near the Canadian border, you will receive a new NEXUS card and will have Global Entry benefits at no additional cost.

When your Global Entry account expires 5 years after your application, do not renew it. Global Entry benefits are included with your NEXUS membership.

It is our goal to provide you the best information we have in response to your question. If you follow the information provided in our response, and still need assistance, please reply to this email and we will investigate how we may further assist you.

Thank you again for contacting the CBP INFO Center.

Sincerely,

CBP INFO Center
Print Wikipost

Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread

Old Nov 2, 2008, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"License to smuggle" were the exact words this Ms. Congeniality, a Canadian Border Agent, used when I was getting finalized at YYZ.

On another note, I heard from US DHS that the new NEXUS cards should start being mailed mid-December.
Old Nov 2, 2008, 9:49 pm

Programs: AC E50K MM * DL MM * HH Diamond * Marriott Lifetime Titanium * Queen's '92
Originally Posted by Sanosuke
The answer would be in the country-of-passport acquisition. The smile you might get when you go to Europe, might be based on the fact that you hold an EU or equalivent passport that allows you access to an non-EU country.

To say that every EU immigration inspector should smile and pat you on the back while saying "Welcome home", is akin to saying that CBSA should pat you on the _BUTT_ and say "good trip ? SECONDARY!"
This doesn't make any sense.

a) I hold a EU passport, and I'm talking about entering EU countries;
b) I didn't say what every EU immigration inspector SHOULD do, I am describing my own experience entering the UK. Smile/welcome home. All other EU states - zero questions. Enter Canada on a Canadian passport, let's intrude into people's private life.

So nothing is akin to nothing, as you obviously didn't read my original post.

Sorry, but that response of yours wasn't what most of us were looking for.
How is it that you purport to speak on behalf of "most of us" ?

Honesty in your RESPONSE to the customs officer is _WHAT_ they want to hear more than your condricatory statements in reply to the questions. Maybe you hadn't thought about that, Simon.
Once again, what are you talking about? I don't give them contradictory answers. I answered what I was asked, pre-NEXUS. I still do at the land borders, where the agents have far less attitude.

I, and many others who have posted, resent being asked questions that they have no business knowing the answers to. People shouldn't have their journals read, their degrees questioned, their medical history reviewed, etc. when re-entering their own country. You want to search for customs overages, go right ahead. For the rest of it, they should mind their own business.

Simon
Old Nov 2, 2008, 10:25 pm

Programs: AC Prestige, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, Radisson Gold Elite, HHonors
Talking

Originally Posted by Simon
This doesn't make any sense.
a) I hold a EU passport, and I'm talking about entering EU countries;
b) I didn't say what every EU immigration inspector SHOULD do, I am describing my own experience entering the UK. Smile/welcome home. All other EU states - zero questions. Enter Canada on a Canadian passport, let's intrude into people's private life.
First off I'll point out why Canada Customs and EU customs work differently.

a) You stated that you entered the EU on your EU passport. The response you got from the inspector was precisely the response you got for using your EU passport. They rarely look at the passports for EU passport holders from what I've been told.

b) You may be welcomed home upon entry to the EU, but you can't expect the same from Canada, since it may be a former British commonwealth, and it can't be expected to say "welcome home, have a fun trip home," to everyone that enters Canada on a Canadian Passport. (Remember our country isn't one nationality, but MANY nationalities in essence, if you haven't forgotten that one.)

So nothing is akin to nothing, as you obviously didn't read my original post.
We'll agree to disagree on this one -- I read your post. It is clear you misunderstood my reply.

Shouldn't it be clear? Its called objectivity, Simon.

Once again, what are you talking about? I don't give them contradictory answers. I answered what I was asked, pre-NEXUS. I still do at the land borders, where the agents have far less attitude.
Once again, your attitude towards the officer will dicate the attitude you receive from that officer when you approach them. Its called courtsey and one shouldn't have to tread on the officer's toes each time they approach the officer.

I, and many others who have posted, resent being asked questions that they have no business knowing the answers to. People shouldn't have their journals read, their degrees questioned, their medical history reviewed, etc. when re-entering their own country. You want to search for customs overages, go right ahead. For the rest of it, they should mind their own business.

Simon
Sweet. Let them search all they want. In the end they end up with no answers for their suspicions. Thats precisely what you are offering to the officer -- evidence that they have NOTHING TO FEAR FOR! If you hold something back, then thats the reaction you will get -- indimination in the form of more questioning. So why are you being a stone wall when they request to look at your stuff even if it may not be something they are interested in reading about. Its nice to know that you with other posters are resisting customs' efforts to be professional and goodwilling to the public, precisely the effect of fear they want from the travelling public who will end up refusing to submit to searches and thus getting arrested/jailed for it. Is that what you want, Simon?

Sanosuke!
Old Nov 3, 2008, 12:53 am

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
I've NEVER been asked a single question by Immigration entering any country in the last 10 years except for Canada and the US. Yes, the US and Canada have a major axe to grind with travellers it seems. Only these two countries have such invasive immigration agents. Canada seems to model theirs from the US and goes one step beyond.

The only other times it's been on par with the US for me is:

a) Entering Japan for 3 hours while transiting Narita (e.g. went Landside) - was meeting a friend, the immigration agent asked why I was going landside considering I was flying out in 3 hours - after I explained he was fine with it - he was more worried I would miss my connection that any suspicion.

b) Entering Taiwan where I didn't fill out the hotel info on the landing card once. Was asked how long I was in Taiwan and where I was staying.

That's it folks - Out of entering and exiting foreign countries more than 200 times I've not been questioned like in the US and Canada. Even China doesn't ask a single thing as long as you have a valid visa. In most countries you never get spoken to at all - Before Japan had the fingerprint and photo machine - they never spoke. Now the most you get out is "Press down on the fingerprint reader".

I lived in the UK and *NEVER* got asked anything entering there and entering into other EU countries. It's simple they scan your passport and know if you are wanted by them or other EU governments or Interpol. Although entering some EU countries they barely even look at your passport cover if it's an EU passport.

I've been stopped by Japanese and Korean customs when dragging demo equipment but never had anything searched, just confirming that what I bring in leaves with me. Contrast that with Canada who assumes any US Resident is working illegally in Canada and the US believes everyone traveling out of the country and coming back is up to no good.

Last edited by NickP 1K; Nov 3, 2008 at 2:36 am
Old Nov 3, 2008, 1:22 am

Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by NickP 1K
It's simple they scan your passport and know if you are wanted by them or other EU governments or Interpol. Although entering some EU countries they barely even look at your passport cover if it's an EU passport.
Sometimes not even a scan. I flew DFW-LGW a few years ago, went to the EU line, showed my EU passport where they only glanced the photo to see if it was me, handed it back, and I was on my way.
Old Nov 3, 2008, 6:31 am

Programs: AC E50K MM * DL MM * HH Diamond * Marriott Lifetime Titanium * Queen's '92
Originally Posted by Sanosuke
First off I'll point out why Canada Customs and EU customs work differently.

a) You stated that you entered the EU on your EU passport. The response you got from the inspector was precisely the response you got for using your EU passport. They rarely look at the passports for EU passport holders from what I've been told.

b) You may be welcomed home upon entry to the EU, but you can't expect the same from Canada, since it may be a former British commonwealth, and it can't be expected to say "welcome home, have a fun trip home," to everyone that enters Canada on a Canadian Passport. (Remember our country isn't one nationality, but MANY nationalities in essence, if you haven't forgotten that one.)
Uh ok. So your logic is:

You should be expected to be welcomed into the UK because you have a UK passport.

You should not be expected to be welcomed into Canada because you have a Canadian passport and lots of people emigrated here.

So it is natural that Canadian BSOs ask inane questions because we are a multicultural country.

Originally Posted by sanosuke

Shouldn't it be clear? Its called objectivity, Simon.
Uh ok. So your logic is:

"I'm being objective (according to me) and so pretty much everyone else agrees with me, because it only makes sense."

Once again, your attitude towards the officer will dicate the attitude you receive from that officer when you approach them. Its called courtsey and one shouldn't have to tread on the officer's toes each time they approach the officer.
Nonsense. "Should", not "will". Perhaps you haven't read the myriad of posts from other FT members who have the exact same experience as me. We didn't all approach the customs booth with red faces and spitting fire. We get pissed off when asked questions that have ZERO to do with (a) establishing Canadian citizenship and (b) determining what our customs declaration is/should be.

If you hold something back, then thats the reaction you will get -- indimination in the form of more questioning. So why are you being a stone wall when they request to look at your stuff even if it may not be something they are interested in reading about. Its nice to know that you with other posters are resisting customs' efforts to be professional and goodwilling to the public, precisely the effect of fear they want from the travelling public who will end up refusing to submit to searches and thus getting arrested/jailed for it. Is that what you want, Simon?
I'm truly not going to bother to respond to this type of argument as it is either purposely obtuse or very naiive.

On the one hand, customs is making "efforts to be professional and goodwilling [sic] to the public" and on the other this generates "precisely the effect of fear they want." :-:

I HAVEN'T SAID I'M BEING A STONE WALL. I RESENT THE QUESTIONS. THEY HAVE NO REASON TO BE DOING WHAT THEY ARE DOING. I DON'T TELL THEM TO GET STUFFED.

Perhaps we should support the establishment of a dictatorship with secret police, and that would be ok, so long as we're nice to the officers.

Old Nov 3, 2008, 7:58 am
ALW

In fact the opposite is true, the Europeans are many nationalities and seem to treat someone with (e.g.) a UK passport the same whether they're entering the UK or France or elsewhere in Europe.

"Our country [Canada] isn't one nationality"? I don't understand this at all. Especially not in the context of the EU members being moreso.

=aw
Old Nov 3, 2008, 8:34 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by FamilyFour
;10619336... At our interview, we were told to split up. One adult, one child do retina scans and walk through. Other adult and little one do the crew line up and skip retina scans. Do we fill out two declaration cards? ...
I'm in a similar situation. I go to the kiosk and get the cards for the users that can do the retina scan. Then I go to the crew line with everyone. I show the nexus card for the kids and they then stamp the declaration card. Splitting up the family is just going to cause problems. And by experience traveling with little ones always means checked luggage so I'm never in a rush anyway.
Old Nov 3, 2008, 9:48 am
ALW

NEXUS at YYZ US Connections

In another thread, SYM says that US Connections (Domestic-US) now has a NEXUS machine. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showp...08&postcount=8 I don't remember it being posted to this thread.

Are there any issues with using this instead of going through sector H?

Thanks!
=aw
Old Nov 3, 2008, 7:00 pm

i did my application 10 days through GOES and was apporved already...seems quick. I have my interview next week, in Ottawa.
PLanning alot of trips to Vegas in the next few yrs. might come in handy!

BTW------ this is my first post .
Old Nov 3, 2008, 8:52 pm

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Originally Posted by kennyg1966
i did my application 10 days through GOES and was apporved already...seems quick. I have my interview next week, in Ottawa.
PLanning alot of trips to Vegas in the next few yrs. might come in handy!

BTW------ this is my first post .
Welcome to FT!
Old Nov 3, 2008, 10:06 pm

Programs: AC*S100K
Originally Posted by ALW
In another thread, SYM says that US Connections (Domestic-US) now has a NEXUS machine. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showp...08&postcount=8 I don't remember it being posted to this thread.

Are there any issues with using this instead of going through sector H?

Thanks!
=aw
I don't know what sector H is, but I have used the NEXUS machine in the US Connections area of YYZ twice in the past month, and have just breezed through. It makes connecting through Toronto with luggage much less of a pain than before it was there.
Old Nov 4, 2008, 8:32 am
ALW

Thanks, that's worth trying. How many NEXUS machines are there at US Connections?

Sector H is the entrance to US PFI for non-connecting passengers.

=aw
Old Nov 4, 2008, 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by lcohen999
Welcome to FT!
thank you
Old Nov 4, 2008, 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by taupo
My cynicism had a hunch where the report came from. It proved correct.

Whining from the union to try and create/protect more jobs in order to boost the union's fee base.
I just thought I'd point out this report had nothing to do with any union. It was an internal evaluation of the programmes by CBSA management.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.