Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread

Old Mar 3, 2013, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Current NEXUS Information messages can be found in the following thread:

The NEXUS Information Thread

Welcome to the Travel Safety/Security Trusted Travelers Forum Nexus Information Wiki! This resource will appear at the top of every page within this thread to help users learn more about this program.

About NEXUS

NEXUS is designed to expedite the border clearance process for low-risk, pre-approved travellers into Canada and the United States.

The Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA) and U.S. Customs & Border Patrol (CBP) are cooperating in this joint venture to simplify border crossing for members while enhancing security.

Program benefits

If you are approved to participate in NEXUS, you will receive a membership identification card to use when entering Canada or the United States at all designated NEXUS air, land and marine ports of entry.

Membership will enable airline passengers to save time by:
  • using automated self-serve kiosks in dedicated areas at designated international airports;
  • using NEXUS/SENTRI lanes at land crossings when/where available. NEXUS lanes entering Canada will likely have a constant red traffic signal. This is to discourage non-NEXUS members from using the lane. Canada-bound NEXUS land crossing operating hours. All occupants must have NEXUS cards when using NEXUS lane entering Canada. At some locations, the NEXUS lane, the inspection booth is not staffed but there should be a call button. When entering US in a NEXUS/SENTRI lane, all occupants must carry either NEXUS, Global Entry, or SENTRI cards (or any combination thereof). Notable exception is Whirlpool Bridge which requires a NEXUS card to open the toll gate on the Canadian side to cross to the US..
  • As of 17 MAY 2017 - NEXUS members no longer need to complete a paper CBSA Declaration Card (Form E311) when using a NEXUS self-serve kiosk at any Canadian airport where NEXUS is available. (Refer to post #10421)
  • using the Trusted Traveller Canadian Air Transport Security Authority (CATSA) Security Line at major and select medium-sized Canadian airports to expedite airport pre boarding security screening. For detailed information, please visit the CATSA Web site.

Join NEXUS

Here are the steps for becoming a member. There is a non-refundable processing fee of CAN$50 or US$50 per applicant for a five-year membership card.

About NEXUS
Eligibility
How to apply
Enrolment process

Key points about the program as found by forum members:
  • NEXUS cardholders must advise of ANY changes to their vital information such as passport numbers/validity, visa status, legal names, primary residence, criminal convictions, and employment if it impacts your eligibility in the program.
  • It's normal to find the first in-person NEXUS interview to be months into the future, but a little patience and regular checks on the TTP website almost always yields an interview date much sooner.
  • Each person who wants to participate in the NEXUS program must fill out a separate application form. There is no fee for applicants under the age of 18.
  • If traveling with non-NEXUS family members NEXUS cardholders are required to use the regular customs lines.
  • There is a zero tolerance policy and membership can be terminated for infractions including not having your NEXUS card on you and using the NEXUS lane and not declaring items on your customs declaration card, though members have reported some leniency being granted for such infractions in the past.
  • Private companies may offer services for submitting your application and charge an additional processing fee but these extra charges are not part of the official NEXUS application fee. Expedited services offered by such companies will not assist in speeding up the application process.

Updating Passport with Canada for NEXUS

As per CBSA website, updates to passport information can be handled on TTP.
Please note that NEXUS members are not required to report to an Enrolment Centre to update or change their passport information with the CBSA.
This is supported by data points in post 11122 and 11132.

Some FT members don't trust instructions provided by CBSA and recommend the following:
Call the Canadian Processing Centre with responsibility for residents of the United States:
  • 800-842-7647 --- Monday to Friday, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm (Eastern Time)

After going through the phone tree to reach a Nexus representative, advise them that you need to update your US passport with Canada.

The representative will give you an email address and instructions to scan your updated passport picture page (include your trusted traveler number on the scan) and then email it to a particular email address. I was advised to put the representative's name in the email message so that he could process the update on the Canadian side. He confirmed that any passport update in TTP does not reach Canada. NOTE: FT members have been able to enter Canada without any issues by updating passport online only.

He specifically requested that only the telephone number be posted (and not the email address).

In case the telephone number doesn't work, here's the webpage where the phone number is posted: Canada Border Services Agency - NEXUS - General Information
Note:

US citizens/residents who have both Global Entry and NEXUS cards and who renew the Global Entry membership whilst their NEXUS card is active, will not be able to renew the NEXUS card until after it expires. The option to do so disappears from the TTP website.
Dear mxzblftspk,

Your NEXUS membership is not set to expire until July 11 2016.

As an approved NEXUS member, you added Global Entry for an additional $100. When you completed your Global Entry application, you received a Global Entry card. When you activated the Global Entry Card, your NEXUS Card was deactivated and the option to renew NEXUS was removed from your account.

If you wish to renew NEXUS, you will have to wait for your NEXUS membership to expire. Once it expires, you will have the option within your TTP online account to renew NEXUS. After you follow all of the steps to become a NEXUS member again, including the completion of an interview at a NEXUS Enrollment Center near the Canadian border, you will receive a new NEXUS card and will have Global Entry benefits at no additional cost.

When your Global Entry account expires 5 years after your application, do not renew it. Global Entry benefits are included with your NEXUS membership.

It is our goal to provide you the best information we have in response to your question. If you follow the information provided in our response, and still need assistance, please reply to this email and we will investigate how we may further assist you.

Thank you again for contacting the CBP INFO Center.

Sincerely,

CBP INFO Center
Print Wikipost

Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread

Old Jul 30, 2008, 11:44 am

Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by NickP 1K
Was in YVR yesterday and saw notices on the Nexus machines that new cards will be issued with additional security features. I asked one of the Canadian agents as I left the immigration area and he said to just make sure your US or Canadian address is correct with them and you will be sent the new cards automatically. Anyone else seen this?
I read somewhere in a newspaper ("news in brief" Van Sun I think) that the RFID chip is being redesigned to work 2 meters from the reader rather than 4 meters to combat identity theft where criminals have some kind of RFID readers in their pocket and pick up the information on your card as they walk by you. They also said that the land border readers previously could only read 2 cards at a time and they are being upgraded so that they can read 4 cards at a time. So it's not just a new paint job and hologram.
Old Jul 30, 2008, 2:27 pm

Programs: NW PE, AC, AA, National EE
Got a letter from Nexus today indicate a new membership card to all NEXUS members with enhanced security features. Need to call 1-88-281-5778, or go to enrolment centre, or go online to confirm address. http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/prog/nexu...nnees-eng.html
Old Jul 30, 2008, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by guessaaa
I read somewhere in a newspaper ("news in brief" Van Sun I think) that the RFID chip is being redesigned to work 2 meters from the reader rather than 4 meters to combat identity theft where criminals have some kind of RFID readers in their pocket and pick up the information on your card as they walk by you. .
I think this applies to newer U.S. passports which do broadcast all the relevant passport information (and, probably, then some). Supposedly, Nexus cards just broadcast a unique Nexus identifier which will pull up the pictures and relevant info at the CBP's or CBSA's agent's screen. The identifier is essentially useless unless one can hack into the Nexus database to alter the information (or the agents are lazy).
Old Jul 30, 2008, 4:12 pm

howto iris scan

I got NEXUS a while ago but haven't used it at airports much. When I last tried it the kiosk didn't recognize me. I don't remember exactly how I am supposed to line up my eye with the single oval drawn on the mirror. Do I:

1 - Line up one of the eyes (any eye)

2 - Look closely into the mirror so that I somehow get "double vision" of the oval line and line up both eyes?
Old Jul 30, 2008, 4:18 pm

Programs: AC*E, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by random321
I got NEXUS a while ago but haven't used it at airports much. When I last tried it the kiosk didn't recognize me. I don't remember exactly how I am supposed to line up my eye with the single oval drawn on the mirror. Do I:

1 - Line up one of the eyes (any eye)

2 - Look closely into the mirror so that I somehow get "double vision" of the oval line and line up both eyes?
on the machines which are fitted with dual iris scan you position the oval over your nose, not sure if there are any single eye scanners left - in addition to that there are clear instructions posted on the machine, and the machine will offer voice prompts to help direct you if you're "off"
Old Jul 30, 2008, 4:27 pm

ah, I see, thanks. So how do I know if it is a dual- or single- scanner? I guess I try to line up with my nose and if I start seeing the oval in double than it I line up both eyes, and otherwise just one?

Last time I tried it was about 6 months ago going into the US, so maybe it was still one of the old machines. I flew into YVR from europe two days ago but there was no line up for the non-nexus people so I didn't bother using the nexus kiosk.

I also just found some instructions here for those of you who may be as clueless as I am.
Old Jul 30, 2008, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
ah, I see, thanks. So how do I know if it is a dual- or single- scanner?
Trust me, you'll be able to tell. However, I haven't seen a single eye scanner for a long time, so my guess is you won't see it either.
Old Jul 30, 2008, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ALW
I don't think it's that simple, it's unlikely a TSA agent at EWR sees many driver's licenses from OK (or SK), certainly not for any purpose other than ID, and I doubt they have a problem with them. I doubt they have a book that shows every state DL, ID card, etc., they should recognize/accept a Nexus card.
=aw
Actually, they should have a book like this (in fact, a couple of times when I've tried to use my NEXUS card for the TSA at EWR, they've offered to get it, but I didn't want to wait for all that, but maybe I will next time just to see it!). Even grocery stores that sell booze are supposed to have a book of the state DL's so that someone doesn't pull a fake licence from an obscure state to get booze.
Old Jul 30, 2008, 6:50 pm

Programs: AC*E
Originally Posted by guessaaa
I read somewhere in a newspaper ("news in brief" Van Sun I think) that the RFID chip is being redesigned to work 2 meters from the reader rather than 4 meters to combat identity theft where criminals have some kind of RFID readers in their pocket and pick up the information on your card as they walk by you. They also said that the land border readers previously could only read 2 cards at a time and they are being upgraded so that they can read 4 cards at a time. So it's not just a new paint job and hologram.
When I got my card at the YVR office back in May, I was told that when crossing at a land crossing, I could stack up to seven cards and hold them up to the reader.
Old Jul 30, 2008, 7:31 pm

Programs: AC*E, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle
I flew into YVR from europe two days ago but there was no line up for the non-nexus people so I didn't bother using the nexus kiosk.
I use the Nexus kiosk just to avoid having to deal with CBSA - even if there is no line up ;-)
Old Jul 31, 2008, 7:39 am

Programs: SPG Gold;NWA gold;Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by omkhar
I use the Nexus kiosk just to avoid having to deal with CBSA - even if there is no line up ;-)
Exactly Thats why I got Nexus. Eliminates some of the stress of dealing with a customs guy/gal.
Old Jul 31, 2008, 9:36 am

Programs: AC*SE, SPG Gold, HH D
Next week will be my first time going through "regular" customs voluntarily - I'm bringing back a case of wine on my next trip which means I can't use the NEXUS line - at least that's what the Montreal staff told me when I called. Silly really, seeing as they have provisions there for you to declare overages.

This is gonna be painful. The customs line at YUL ALWAYS sucks on Thursday evenings.
Old Jul 31, 2008, 11:40 am

So another clueless question (yeah, I know, I should be stripped of my NEXUS for not knowing this stuff). Do you need to fill out a customs declaration card if you are using NEXUS entering canada by plane? I'm guessing yes. And what if you are crossing with your spouse who also has NEXUS, do you fill out a single declaration card as non-NEXUS people do, or do you fill out two since you'll be using the kiosk seperately?

And second question (that doesn't really belong in this thread): Has anyone decoded the "score" that you get at YVR written on your customs declaration card by the CBSA agent (non-nexus)? I think the second digit might be the duty exemption you are entitled to and the first digit is some kind of sketchiness score? I had "17" on my flight in from europe earlier this week. I'm guessing the 7 is because I was gone longer than a week, and the 1 is...? Any CBSA agents in the crowd caring to violate our national security by revealing the secret code?! I'm willing to let the terrorists win if it means I can satisfy my curiosity.
Old Jul 31, 2008, 12:33 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K
So another clueless question (yeah, I know, I should be stripped of my NEXUS for not knowing this stuff). Do you need to fill out a customs declaration card if you are using NEXUS entering canada by plane? I'm guessing yes. And what if you are crossing with your spouse who also has NEXUS, do you fill out a single declaration card as non-NEXUS people do, or do you fill out two since you'll be using the kiosk seperately?
You still need to fill out the customs declaration form. When I enter the country with my partner, we just fill out one card. Upon exit, we hand the agent the customs form and our two Nexus printouts and have had no problem.

I'm not sure about entering the US though. (For sure you need to fill out the customs form, but my partner and I always fill out separate ones since the US government does not recognize our "family" )
Old Jul 31, 2008, 2:05 pm

Programs: AC*E
Originally Posted by phedre
Next week will be my first time going through "regular" customs voluntarily - I'm bringing back a case of wine on my next trip which means I can't use the NEXUS line - at least that's what the Montreal staff told me when I called. Silly really, seeing as they have provisions there for you to declare overages.

This is gonna be painful. The customs line at YUL ALWAYS sucks on Thursday evenings.
I was under the impression that as long as they're not commercial goods, and you declare it, you can bring back whatever you want....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.