Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 3, 2013, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Current NEXUS Information messages can be found in the following thread:

The NEXUS Information Thread

Welcome to the Travel Safety/Security Trusted Travelers Forum Nexus Information Wiki! This resource will appear at the top of every page within this thread to help users learn more about this program.

About NEXUS

NEXUS is designed to expedite the border clearance process for low-risk, pre-approved travellers into Canada and the United States.

The Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA) and U.S. Customs & Border Patrol (CBP) are cooperating in this joint venture to simplify border crossing for members while enhancing security.

Program benefits

If you are approved to participate in NEXUS, you will receive a membership identification card to use when entering Canada or the United States at all designated NEXUS air, land and marine ports of entry.

Membership will enable airline passengers to save time by:
  • using automated self-serve kiosks in dedicated areas at designated international airports;
  • using NEXUS/SENTRI lanes at land crossings when/where available. NEXUS lanes entering Canada will likely have a constant red traffic signal. This is to discourage non-NEXUS members from using the lane. Canada-bound NEXUS land crossing operating hours. All occupants must have NEXUS cards when using NEXUS lane entering Canada. At some locations, the NEXUS lane, the inspection booth is not staffed but there should be a call button. When entering US in a NEXUS/SENTRI lane, all occupants must carry either NEXUS, Global Entry, or SENTRI cards (or any combination thereof). Notable exception is Whirlpool Bridge which requires a NEXUS card to open the toll gate on the Canadian side to cross to the US..
  • As of 17 MAY 2017 - NEXUS members no longer need to complete a paper CBSA Declaration Card (Form E311) when using a NEXUS self-serve kiosk at any Canadian airport where NEXUS is available. (Refer to post #10421)
  • using the Trusted Traveller Canadian Air Transport Security Authority (CATSA) Security Line at major and select medium-sized Canadian airports to expedite airport pre boarding security screening. For detailed information, please visit the CATSA Web site.

Join NEXUS

Here are the steps for becoming a member. There is a non-refundable processing fee of CAN$50 or US$50 per applicant for a five-year membership card.

About NEXUS
Eligibility
How to apply
Enrolment process

Key points about the program as found by forum members:
  • NEXUS cardholders must advise of ANY changes to their vital information such as passport numbers/validity, visa status, legal names, primary residence, criminal convictions, and employment if it impacts your eligibility in the program.
  • It's normal to find the first in-person NEXUS interview to be months into the future, but a little patience and regular checks on the TTP website almost always yields an interview date much sooner.
  • Each person who wants to participate in the NEXUS program must fill out a separate application form. There is no fee for applicants under the age of 18.
  • If traveling with non-NEXUS family members NEXUS cardholders are required to use the regular customs lines.
  • There is a zero tolerance policy and membership can be terminated for infractions including not having your NEXUS card on you and using the NEXUS lane and not declaring items on your customs declaration card, though members have reported some leniency being granted for such infractions in the past.
  • Private companies may offer services for submitting your application and charge an additional processing fee but these extra charges are not part of the official NEXUS application fee. Expedited services offered by such companies will not assist in speeding up the application process.

Updating Passport with Canada for NEXUS

As per CBSA website, updates to passport information can be handled on TTP.
Please note that NEXUS members are not required to report to an Enrolment Centre to update or change their passport information with the CBSA.
This is supported by data points in post 11122 and 11132.

Some FT members don't trust instructions provided by CBSA and recommend the following:
Call the Canadian Processing Centre with responsibility for residents of the United States:
  • 800-842-7647 --- Monday to Friday, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm (Eastern Time)

After going through the phone tree to reach a Nexus representative, advise them that you need to update your US passport with Canada.

The representative will give you an email address and instructions to scan your updated passport picture page (include your trusted traveler number on the scan) and then email it to a particular email address. I was advised to put the representative's name in the email message so that he could process the update on the Canadian side. He confirmed that any passport update in TTP does not reach Canada. NOTE: FT members have been able to enter Canada without any issues by updating passport online only.

He specifically requested that only the telephone number be posted (and not the email address).

In case the telephone number doesn't work, here's the webpage where the phone number is posted: Canada Border Services Agency - NEXUS - General Information
Note:

US citizens/residents who have both Global Entry and NEXUS cards and who renew the Global Entry membership whilst their NEXUS card is active, will not be able to renew the NEXUS card until after it expires. The option to do so disappears from the TTP website.
Dear mxzblftspk,

Your NEXUS membership is not set to expire until July 11 2016.

As an approved NEXUS member, you added Global Entry for an additional $100. When you completed your Global Entry application, you received a Global Entry card. When you activated the Global Entry Card, your NEXUS Card was deactivated and the option to renew NEXUS was removed from your account.

If you wish to renew NEXUS, you will have to wait for your NEXUS membership to expire. Once it expires, you will have the option within your TTP online account to renew NEXUS. After you follow all of the steps to become a NEXUS member again, including the completion of an interview at a NEXUS Enrollment Center near the Canadian border, you will receive a new NEXUS card and will have Global Entry benefits at no additional cost.

When your Global Entry account expires 5 years after your application, do not renew it. Global Entry benefits are included with your NEXUS membership.

It is our goal to provide you the best information we have in response to your question. If you follow the information provided in our response, and still need assistance, please reply to this email and we will investigate how we may further assist you.

Thank you again for contacting the CBP INFO Center.

Sincerely,

CBP INFO Center
Print Wikipost

Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2008, 4:21 pm

Programs: AC E75K, Amex Plat, NEXUS, Aman-user (not really a -junkie)
we weren't given any TDCs as we were only going to use NEXUS AIR... officer indicated that these were just for people at road crossings...
Old Jul 8, 2008, 2:41 am

Snacks are o.k...
Hmmm... when I enrolled, several years ago, both the Canadian and particularly the US officials, not to mention the user's guide they handed out then, were quite specific. You simply were not allowed to take any kind of food across the border when using your NEXUS pass. One agent even suggest not brining bottled water as that might be considered a food product.

But the latest on-line user's guide simply notes that you may "import" items by declaring them. The only problem, small as it might be, is that most of the time when I pull up to the booth the agent simply says something like "Enjoy your trip" or "Thank you." I suppose you'd still be best off by saying "BUT... I need to declare the following items."

In any case, you're always better off declaring something, even if they don't care. I one time (regular lanes) had the remains of a hamburger that I declared. The agent asked me if I was going to eat the rest of it (no) and then just tossed it in the agricultural waste bin.
Old Jul 8, 2008, 8:06 am

Programs: MAM Senator, Flying Blue Platinum, Delta Platinum
Well I just had one of the WORST experiences with NEXUS...i applied in June got accepted within 3 days made my appointment for today in YUL as I had a flight going back to the U.S. I got here and went through the Canadians first who had no problems, they took my iris scan, issued my card then told me to wait outside for the U.S customs agent, I get called in to find the MOST OBNOXIOUS man I have ever dealt with, he began by telling me that he didn't think I should be approved because I was 19 and he believed I would try to smuggle things into the country and besides "I don't want any 19 year old using MY NEXUS lane"...I assured him that that was not my intention and that I wanted it simply because I travel often, He followed it by why are you a US citizen anyway? you were born Canadian...how did you obtain citizenship... he then told me that 2 round trips per month is not enough to to need nexus, followed by "how long do you wait in line anyway....25 minutes??..and you call that an inconvenience? besides...NEXUS is for travelers that are trusted..." He then questioned me on why I would spend money to fly when I could drive to which I responded that I preferred flying, "yes but with ticket prices...i don't understand why you wouldn't simply drive with your family" he then took down my parents names, kicked me out, and came back after about 10 minutes and announced to a room full of waiting people that there was "no way in hell he could accept me into the program" I was embarrassed and quite frankly, completely baffled as to why I would not only be rejected, but treated that way....is this normal treatment...few minutes later I got an email saying I have been declined reason being "mistakenly accepted"
Old Jul 8, 2008, 8:59 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by tninos
Well I just had one of the WORST experiences with NEXUS...i applied in June got accepted within 3 days made my appointment for today in YUL as I had a flight going back to the U.S. I got here and went through the Canadians first who had no problems, they took my iris scan, issued my card then told me to wait outside for the U.S customs agent, I get called in to find the MOST OBNOXIOUS man I have ever dealt with, he began by telling me that he didn't think I should be approved because I was 19 and he believed I would try to smuggle things into the country and besides "I don't want any 19 year old using MY NEXUS lane"...I assured him that that was not my intention and that I wanted it simply because I travel often, He followed it by why are you a US citizen anyway? you were born Canadian...how did you obtain citizenship... he then told me that 2 round trips per month is not enough to to need nexus, followed by "how long do you wait in line anyway....25 minutes??..and you call that an inconvenience? besides...NEXUS is for travelers that are trusted..." He then questioned me on why I would spend money to fly when I could drive to which I responded that I preferred flying, "yes but with ticket prices...i don't understand why you wouldn't simply drive with your family" he then took down my parents names, kicked me out, and came back after about 10 minutes and announced to a room full of waiting people that there was "no way in hell he could accept me into the program" I was embarrassed and quite frankly, completely baffled as to why I would not only be rejected, but treated that way....is this normal treatment...few minutes later I got an email saying I have been declined reason being "mistakenly accepted"
Quite a bizarre story. I have found the American staff at YUL to very pleasant and professional. The older man who works there is really nice (late 50's maybe early 60s). Is YUL your residence? Maybe they thought it was suspicious that you signed up in outside your home area? I would let things cool off for a few months and then re-apply and head some where else to sign up.
Old Jul 8, 2008, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by Ken hAAmer
Hmmm... when I enrolled, several years ago, both the Canadian and particularly the US officials, not to mention the user's guide they handed out then, were quite specific. You simply were not allowed to take any kind of food across the border when using your NEXUS pass. One agent even suggest not brining bottled water as that might be considered a food product.
The info changes all the time, it seems. In 2002, the westernmost crossing office even issued a locally-published guideline on what could be in a "lunch portion" that could be carried through the Nexus lanes (probably for those commuting between Point Roberts and the rest of Whatcom county and beyond:
[*]No fresh fruit of any kind in any form[*]No meat or eggs with the exception of: You may bring in a meat sandwich or a fully cooked prepared meal for lunch. Such as: a serving of meat loaf or roast for a meal or cooked eggs such as an egg salad or a hardboiled egg.[*]Canned food, bakery goods, milk, cheese, yogurt are allowed.[*]Above items are in amounts normally consumed for a single meal. Examples of amounts above that would be. {Entry about excessive amounts omitted} If you intend to eat these items you may bring in the sausage or the ham in a sandwich or other form only in the amount reasonable for your consumption for that day.
Old Jul 8, 2008, 5:51 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
The info changes all the time, it seems.
And it seems that some of the rules are made up as they please and/or some officers don't have full knowledge of the rules.
Old Jul 8, 2008, 7:51 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, HH G
[*]No fresh fruit of any kind in any form
Do they count tomatos as fruit? Need to watch that when making the sandwich ...
Old Jul 10, 2008, 11:12 am

Programs: AC*E; pick a number between 25 and 50K
Question Interview for kids - extra documentation?

I've had my Nexus card for one lovely year, and now the Mrs and the two boys are accepted for interviews in just over a week from now.

But I ran into something suggesting that I might need more than just the boys' passports and birth certificates when browsing a Nexus document:

The instructions document at

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicati...rc4209-eng.pdf

says "The documents you present to the officer at the NEXUS enrolment centre have to establish that the adult or adults are the parents or legal guardians"

What are they talking about? I don't recall seeing my name on their passport or birth certs!

Thanks
Old Jul 10, 2008, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by murmurdoc
What are they talking about? I don't recall seeing my name on their passport or birth certs!
You might need the long form birth certificate which contains the names of parents. Assuming your children were born in Ontario, see:

http://www.gov.on.ca/ont/portal/!ut/...n?docid=119279
Old Jul 10, 2008, 11:43 am

As cockroach mentioned, there are two versions of birth certificates in Canada. The short version is just the persons name and personal info. The large cert also shows the parents names and their place of birth.
Old Jul 10, 2008, 2:11 pm

You might need the long form birth certificate which contains the names of parents.
Gosh, I hope not. Appointment is July 21 and processing time is 15 business days. Anyone actually done this?

MMD
Old Jul 10, 2008, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by murmurdoc
Gosh, I hope not. Appointment is July 21 and processing time is 15 business days.
If the Nexus office is nice, they'll let you bring back the long form birth certs later. Can't see how you'd prove you're the parent and/or legal guardian of the children otherwise.
Old Jul 11, 2008, 5:21 am

That being said, I went to the YYZ Nexus office last weekend with my wife and two daughters as they got their Nexus cards as well. I had the long form birth certificates with me, but they didn't ask for them. The passports were enough proof of identity and they didn't even ask if there were any custody restrictions on the girls.
Old Jul 11, 2008, 5:40 am

Originally Posted by evdog19
That being said, I went to the YYZ Nexus office last weekend with my wife and two daughters as they got their Nexus cards as well. I had the long form birth certificates with me, but they didn't ask for them. The passports were enough proof of identity and they didn't even ask if there were any custody restrictions on the girls.
Interesting. I gave in to my anxieties and filed rush (5 day service guarantee) applications for long form birth certificates yesterday afternoon. Let's see if YYZ Nexus asks us for them.

Murm
Old Jul 12, 2008, 3:38 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Delta Skymiles, SPG
Hey folks,

I have a quick question. When I applied for NEXUS a few years back, they only had the paper version at the time and on that application, it asked me for my vehicle and license plate number.

I'm soon going to buy a second car and plan on taking it down to Seattle every now and then. Will I have to tell the NEXUS program that I also got a new car and license plate number? Sometimes when I come back into Canada, they ask if I'm driving the vehicle with the registered plate (it's a vanity plate.) Just wondering what their policy is for "non-registered" vehicles and plates. Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.