Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Registered Traveler (Fly Clear) (Merged Threads)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Registered Traveler (Fly Clear) (Merged Threads)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2007, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by redbeard911
Clear will be implemented in DEN starting in mid-January. They have a kiosk to accept applications in the terminal.
Saw that today. They're using the same iris scanners that are used for NEXUS.

Speaking of NEXUS, it's funny that expedited US and Canadian border clearance comes at a price of $50 for five years, where Clear costs $100 for a year.

Spoke to two different UA CSRs, both said that the elite lines at DEN will stay. One CSR commented that they have spoken to many 1Ks and GSers who are not signing up. Not scientific of course, but interesting nonetheless.
Old Jan 1, 2008, 11:22 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Clear states in their web rot that once a person has been doc checked, fingerprinted and iris scanned it will take up to ten days to get your card. The folks at the scanning stations say it takes 4 - 6 weeks to get your card.

If you have had cataracts and lens implants, good luck - you will probably not be able to successfully be iris-scanned (but in the end, only the prints of TWO fingers must have been verified for card issuance and matching at the airport Clear stations.)
Old Jan 7, 2008, 8:27 am

Programs: CO Plat, Priority Club Plat, HH Diamond, Avis First, Hertz #1Gold
USA Today posted an article today that says 65,000 people have signed up for R/T at 13 airports. What is always fun to read are the comments of the "whiners" at the end of the story.

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/fligh...terstitialskip
Old Jan 7, 2008, 8:40 am

Programs: DL Silver Medallion
Link as you posted it doesn't work. I trimmed it and it works as I have it here. Perhaps you or a MOD could fix it in your original post.

Craig
Old Jan 7, 2008, 9:04 am

Programs: CO Plat, Priority Club Plat, HH Diamond, Avis First, Hertz #1Gold
Originally Posted by drummingcraig
Link as you posted it doesn't work. I trimmed it and it works as I have it here. Perhaps you or a MOD could fix it in your original post.

Craig
??? I just tried it and it worked - might still be in my cache or something.
Old Jan 7, 2008, 10:39 am

Programs: DL Silver Medallion
Originally Posted by vassilipan
??? I just tried it and it worked - might still be in my cache or something.
Weird. Now it also works for me. I promise it didn't work earlier until I trimmed it!

Sorry for the confusion, but thanks for the article.
Old Jan 10, 2008, 8:38 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite, UA Premier 1K, TAP Silver, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by vassilipan
USA Today posted an article today that says 65,000 people have signed up for R/T at 13 airports. .......[/url]
Let's hope they don't all show up at the same time at the same airport!
Old Jan 16, 2008, 7:16 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Post Security-line shortcut coming to Oakland airport - for a price

OAKLAND -- A business that gives travelers a shortcut through airport security lines in exchange for $100, a background check and a fingerprint or iris scan, has been selected to operate the program at Oakland International Airport beginning in April.

The Oakland Board of Port Commissioners, which operates the airport, chose Clear to operate its registered traveler program. Clear, headquartered in New York, already operates express lanes at San Jose and San Francisco international airports.

Rosemary Barnes, an Oakland airport spokeswoman, said business travelers and other frequent fliers had asked for such a program.

"Our customer surveys and feedback showed that our customers very much wanted an express lane to be offered here," she said.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl.../MNALUGIDJ.DTL
Old Jan 16, 2008, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by tom911
"Our customer surveys and feedback showed that our customers very much wanted an express lane to be offered here," she said.
That didn't mean they wanted a lane that required them to fork over all their personal information to the government.

Elite lines could have done this.
Old Jan 16, 2008, 8:31 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Dia, SPG Gold, MR Plat, Hertz PC
WTOP's Adam Tuss was reporting on this during the morning rush - specifically about MWAA voting on whether to include some form of RT program at IAD and DCA. I am in the process of writing a letter to him correcting his inferred comment that this will be a good thing for travelers (by allowing them to "bypass security lines" at the region's airports).
Old Jan 16, 2008, 10:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DevilDog438
WTOP's Adam Tuss was reporting on this during the morning rush - specifically about MWAA voting on whether to include some form of RT program at IAD and DCA. I am in the process of writing a letter to him correcting his inferred comment that this will be a good thing for travelers (by allowing them to "bypass security lines" at the region's airports).
We, The People, have allowed the debate to be framed around the time it takes to go through the checkpoint, rather than vehemently object to the loss of civil liberties occurring at checkpoints throughout America. We need to stand up to the Administration, turn around our caps so we are 2" away from their faces ( a la Earl Weaver) and say "I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it any more!"
Old Jan 17, 2008, 2:46 pm

Washington Post article today

There's a Washington Post article today about IAD and DCA awarding a contract for this yesterday:

LINK
Old Jan 17, 2008, 5:31 pm
cxn

Clear coming to OAK

Clear is coming to Oakland. I use it in SJC and love how it works. Once you get your card, you go to the clear station, they quickly scan your finger and they take you to the very front of the line.

Hopefully they have this in the Southwest Terminal in OAK.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl.../BAALUGIDJ.DTL
Old Jan 17, 2008, 5:54 pm

Programs: UA MM
Boycott Clear. It'll only make things worse.
Old Jan 17, 2008, 6:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Living the dream in Antigua and the nightmare in Florida
Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, *A Gold, WN detractor
Originally Posted by DevilDog438
That's pretty much the way that Clear advertises in the Bay Area - they imply that you get to skip security, or that security itself will be faster. Neither one is true. This is nothing more than a government-sanctioned VIP program that has absolutely nothing to do with security. If it was truly more secure, than the current screening would be actually reduced for R/T's. I call shenanigans.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.