Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Welcome to the Clear Lane! Can I see your picture ID?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2007, 12:05 pm
Original Poster

This was my greeting as I showed up for a flt. to FLL at MCO yesterday. Now as everyone used to presenting their Clear cards fumbled for their DL, I ended up taking longer to clear the Clear line than I would have if I went to the regular line and presented my license.

I'm for being secure but this new step (apparently at the direction of the TSA ) is really kind of stupid isn't it? I mean the point of paying $80 a year and giving all of the personal info. for a background check was to streamline the security process using the fingerprint and eye scan technology that supposedly cannot be compromised. I think I trust that set-up over showing a fake DL that can be made anywhere these days.

Now I have to give my license, then run my Clear card for what? So I can cut the line? I have now paid for a background check that gets me in a line that now requires more ID than the regular line that contains the "unknown" travelers. If this is what it comes to, why not just have a line where you pay to go to the front.......use it only when you think the price/conditions warrant.
Old Jan 18, 2007, 12:12 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM / AS MVP Gold
you were the sucker who spent the money to enroll in Clear!
Old Jan 18, 2007, 12:20 pm
Original Poster

I have had it for more than a year and been quite happy with it until this instance. The lines at MCO can be VERY long at times in the season and it certainly is worth it to move to the front of the line.....which is why I say, they ought just have a "pay to the front" line....

And BTW - I'll refrain from suggesting you are a "sucker" for living in a State with 8% State Income Tax where you have to pay $1 million dollars for a 1500 sf house...
Old Jan 18, 2007, 12:23 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM / AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by allergictocoach
And BTW - I'll refrain from suggesting you are a "sucker" for living in a State with 8% State Income Tax where you have to pay $1 million dollars for a 1500 sf house...
At least the security lines at SFO are never more than 5 minutes.
Old Jan 18, 2007, 12:30 pm

Programs: *wood Gold, Marriott Gold, DL Silver, Hilton Silver, F9 Ascent
I guess I've missed something...not having seen a real one, I *assumed* the Clear card had your photo on it!? I mean if they've gone through the trouble of taking fingerprint/retina biometrics and encoding them on a smart card, why wouldn't it also have a photo?
Old Jan 18, 2007, 12:39 pm
Original Poster

You would think it might. It has just your name and the chip that contains your biometric and fingerprint data. If you don't have your fingers or your eye, you can't successfully use the card. Nevertheless, no such information is required to access the security line....just a picture ID....which you now have to show as well.
Old Jan 18, 2007, 4:35 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Ask for a refund.

That's the only way the message will get through.
Old Jan 18, 2007, 5:44 pm

If you don't have your fingers or your eye, you can't successfully use the card.
Actually, that's not true. I don't have the links handy, but there have been articles in the industry lately regarding how fingerprint and retina scan technologies can be defeated. The cost to defeat was not high and the technology/skill required was not particularly high.

Very sobering.
Old Jan 18, 2007, 6:11 pm
Original Poster

I'd be interested in the links if they can be posted. In any case, it doesn't change the fact that the program had to be approved by the TSA before it could be implemented and as a result, one can now pay to show your ID and then use a finger scan machine for fun on your way by. Expedited security via the new technology was the bread and butter and it seems the TSA has taken away their butter....
Old Jan 18, 2007, 6:45 pm

My point being that it's neither "security" nor "expedited". Will look for the links or see if anyone at work has them.
Old Jan 18, 2007, 6:56 pm

An interesting plain-language description of various fingerprint technologies, their pros/cons, etc.
http://www.ultra-scan.com/Portals/16...%20Imaging.pdf

More plain-language info on various biometrics, as well as brief comments on pros/cons of retina and iris scanning.
http://www.securitydocs.com/library/3003

Note the second article's description of how to measure the accuracy of a security device.
Old Jan 18, 2007, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/Marriott Plat/Hertz PC
Originally Posted by amartin1979
you were the sucker who spent the money to enroll in Clear!
Sorry to agree, but "that's the fact, Jack." ^
Old Jan 18, 2007, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by seat17D
My point being that it's neither "security" nor "expedited". Will look for the links or see if anyone at work has them.
It wasn't secure to begin with, even before the vulnerabilities you point out, but it it still "expedited".

As was pointed out somewhere, a couple of the 9/11 hijackers could have qualified for the card.

The rest of them can sign-up to see if they are on the watch list. If they are on the list, they don't have to pay for the card, just the $30 TSA "vetting" fee. If they are -not- currently on the watch list the TSA will email them notification if they are placed on the list in the future.
Old Jan 18, 2007, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Now I have to give my license, then run my Clear card for what? So I can cut the line?
Yep. Did you have a reason to buy the card other than cutting the line? It still does that, especially, as I understand, in MCO.

You can cancel the card and get a pro-rated refund.
Old Jan 18, 2007, 8:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by birdstrike
Yep. Did you have a reason to buy the card other than cutting the line? It still does that, especially, as I understand, in MCO.

You can cancel the card and get a pro-rated refund.
Speed is the main thing and the license check then running your finger scan takes a little more time. As much as I travel, I would pay the $80 a year to cut the line. In that case, there would be no reason for me to have submitted to a background check.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.