Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

How to combine household members’ duty free exemption via Global Entry?

Old Apr 14, 2023, 5:55 am
Original Poster

I will enter the country with an family member. Combined, we have $1000 in goods from overseas. I am not clear on how to combine our $800 x 2 = $1600 exemption on the Global Entry kiosks since they only process one person at a time.

We are on the same flight but our seats are very far apart, so we are likely to approach the immigration area at different times, unless one of us waits for the other.

What would be the best way to handle our situation?
Old Apr 14, 2023, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Each person could declare the items they have in their possession.
Old Apr 14, 2023, 8:52 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
You should clear immigration together if making a combined declaration as CBP could ask where are the other family members. If they are not around when asked then the CBP officer’s suspicion just went up leading to secondary. You would have save more time clearing immigration together.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by seawolf; Apr 14, 2023 at 8:57 am
Old Apr 14, 2023, 9:39 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
The new Global Entry facial recognition kiosks do not ask any questions. Declarations should be made orally to the CBP officer staffing the exit from the GE kiosk area.

Please refer to the following thread:
Old Apr 14, 2023, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by Val S
I will enter the country with an family member. Combined, we have $1000 in goods from overseas. I am not clear on how to combine our $800 x 2 = $1600 exemption on the Global Entry kiosks since they only process one person at a time.

We are on the same flight but our seats are very far apart, so we are likely to approach the immigration area at different times, unless one of us waits for the other.

What would be the best way to handle our situation?
There is nothing to say you can't wait on the jet bridge / walk way to the immigration point for your family member.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2023, 3:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Waiting for each other, and then proceeding through (immigration and) customs together is indeed the best solution if you are filing a joint customs declaration.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.