Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

I have an active Apec ABTC, but just got a Global Entry cancellation, does it matter?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I have an active Apec ABTC, but just got a Global Entry cancellation, does it matter?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2022, 3:05 am
Original Poster

I'm a US citizen, and my APEC ABTC is good for another year or two, but my global entry is now cancelled. On the website it says I'm still approved for it, and have the option to go through the renewal process for $100.

So, my main question is: Does APEC ABTC override global entry in ALL countries that take global entry, or only in the US?

Just wondering if I need to pay $100 (I guess my CC pay it actually) and interview again even though I have the APEC card. I'm in Asia and the locations aren't very convenient. E.g. I need to fly to another country I believe.

Thanks!
Old Sep 14, 2022, 6:42 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Only US takes Global Entry (despite the name). As per US law, you need to be a be a "good standing" member of a Trusted Traveler Program to be issued a US ABTC.

https://www.govinfo.gov/app/details/PLAW-115publ79
TPACjv likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2022, 7:25 am
Original Poster

Well I already have an APEC ABTC, that's not an issue. The issue is that my global entry is expired, and other countries DO accept global entry (not a ton, but some). It's not just a US thing. It is also expanding to additional countries.
Old Sep 14, 2022, 10:22 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by trademarkedTM
Well I already have an APEC ABTC, that's not an issue. The issue is that my global entry is expired, and other countries DO accept global entry (not a ton, but some). It's not just a US thing. It is also expanding to additional countries.
Which countries other than US accept Global Entry?
Old Sep 14, 2022, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by seawolf
Maybe OP meant countries like South Korea, New Zealand, and Mexico, which have their own trusted traveler programs, for which US citizens are eligible if they are also Global Entry members.

OP I don't understand what you are actually asking.

So, my main question is: Does APEC ABTC override global entry in ALL countries that take global entry, or only in the US?
​​​​​​​
What does "override" mean? How does APEC ABTC "override" global entry in the US or any other country?

Per federal regulation, you have to be a member of a CBP trusted traveler program to be eligible for the ABTC. So your ABTC is not even valid anymore.
seawolf likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2022, 6:09 pm

ABTC isn't a visa into the participating economy for US-issued cards like it is for full members of APEC. All it gets you is access to the presumably shorter APEC lines. I've only ever been card-checked by line monitors and immigration agents to make sure I was in the right line. If it's not expired, I don't think they care if your GE is inactive. You certainly won't get a new one with an expired GE.

And even with the line monitor checking, the check was so cursory most times that I seriously doubt that they could see the expiration date. Though I wouldn't risk it if it were expired.

Edit: I suggest you slog through this thread for experiences with US-issued ABTCs:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trus...riences-q.html
Old Sep 14, 2022, 6:55 pm
Original Poster

off the top of my head, UAE, UK, Bahamas, Bermuda, and I know there are some more
Old Sep 14, 2022, 6:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bbcei
Maybe OP meant countries like South Korea, New Zealand, and Mexico, which have their own trusted traveler programs, for which US citizens are eligible if they are also Global Entry members.

OP I don't understand what you are actually asking.

What does "override" mean? How does APEC ABTC "override" global entry in the US or any other country?

Per federal regulation, you have to be a member of a CBP trusted traveler program to be eligible for the ABTC. So your ABTC is not even valid anymore.
yes, I meant the other counties that use global entry at their airports

so, if my ABTC is active I’m not active as a CBP trusted traveler when the global entry expires? If so, crap, I’m not in the U.S. for a long time.

Originally Posted by RandomNobody
ABTC isn't a visa into the participating economy for US-issued cards like it is for full members of APEC. All it gets you is access to the presumably shorter APEC lines. I've only ever been card-checked by line monitors and immigration agents to make sure I was in the right line. If it's not expired, I don't think they care if your GE is inactive. You certainly won't get a new one with an expired GE.

And even with the line monitor checking, the check was so cursory most times that I seriously doubt that they could see the expiration date. Though I wouldn't risk it if it were expired.

Edit: I suggest you slog through this thread for experiences with US-issued ABTCs:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trus...riences-q.html
Yep, I know how the ABTC works, I just used it to skip the line in Indonesia. The card is valid another year or two. It’s the relationship with global entry that I’m concerned about, and if I need to keep paying for GE also.
Old Sep 14, 2022, 7:33 pm
Original Member

off the top of my head, UAE, UK, Bahamas, Bermuda, and I know there are some more
Huh? None of these accept Global Entry for entry into those countries. You can use Global Entry when returning to US as part of US preclearance in Bahamas.
Old Sep 14, 2022, 8:27 pm
Original Poster

Huh? None of these accept Global Entry for entry into those countries. You can use Global Entry when returning to US as part of US preclearance in Bahamas.
here’s an example:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/marcweb...t%20travelers.
Old Sep 14, 2022, 9:08 pm
Original Member

That's old news. All US passport holders can use egates in UK, Australia, New Zealand etc. It's not exclusive to Global Entry; at one point it was for some of those countries. AFAIK, Nassau don't have any egates for entry into Bahamas.

Last edited by seawolf; Sep 14, 2022 at 9:21 pm
Old Sep 14, 2022, 9:49 pm
Original Poster

That's old news. All US passport holders can use egates in UK, Australia, New Zealand etc. It's not exclusive to Global Entry; at one point it was for some of those countries. AFAIK, Nassau don't have any egates for entry into Bahamas.
Ah ok, perhaps im out of the loop. So, no countries at all provide global entry, for entry, aside from the US? I was led to believe that quite a few did. There are global entry kiosks at many international airports in other countries, and I'd be surprised if the US convinced those countries to install them just for US citizens to exit, but maybe that is what it is?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.