Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

company provided laptops ok to bring through NEXUS lane?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2022, 8:53 pm
Original Poster

I want to make sure I am not going to have problems going over the land border with Nexus. I have a work-furnished laptop (going to Canada on business) and the only thing I have found online is that you cannot use Nexus if you have commercial goods on you. All they say on line is: Personal computers and similar items carried by NEXUS members for their own personal use while on business trips are not considered commercial goods.

Is a work-provided computer considered a commercial good? It sounds like YES to me, and in that case I need to use the slow lane.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 9:52 pm

I'm pretty sure "personal computers" in this context refers to a laptop/desktop used by one person (as in IBM PC), not literally a computer that you personally own. They're making a distinction between that and computers you are bringing to sell, or servers/other equipment that you're planning to install somewhere, etc.

So my reading is that your laptop would definitely not be a "commercial good".
Loren Pechtel likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 12:58 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Unless you are planning to sell that laptop or using that laptop as a demo unit for selling other similar laptops, it's not commercial goods.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 1:44 pm
Original Poster

So I found this thread (duty on laptop temporarily in Cda?) which confirms my suspicions that the answer is basically "it depends on who you get at the border" so I think it is in my best interest to not use the Nexus lane.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 2:18 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by addicoe
So I found this thread (duty on laptop temporarily in Cda?) which confirms my suspicions that the answer is basically "it depends on who you get at the border" so I think it is in my best interest to not use the Nexus lane.
You are over thinking it.

Plenty members here who cross the border frequently for business meetings. Never an issue even when going thru a secondary inspection.

But if you don’t want to use NEXUS, then one less person ahead of me in NEXUS lane. Lol
nancypants and wcj1 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.