Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Flying CA→US→CA with GE card while US passport is being renewed. Possible?

Old Jun 19, 2022, 6:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP

I'm a US citizen living in Vancouver (YVR). NAFTA work permit for Canada.

I have a GlobalEntry card with a far-future expiration date, but unfortunately my passport is expiring August 8.

And I need to travel to the USA 3 times this summer
  • June 24-July 5 (booked from/to YVR on UA)
  • August 25-30 (booked from/to YVR on DL)
  • ~July 15-25 (not booked yet)
My current plan is to book the July 15-25 flight from/to Seattle on AS, because I know I'll be able to get in/out via the land border.

However, I'm worried that there's a possibility my passport won't be renewed in time for the late-August trip.

So, what I'm wondering is, is there any chance/possibility that I can fly without my passport? I've read the whole thread on doing the same with a Nexus card and generally confused but
  • I'm pretty confident I could get CBP to let me into the preclearance area at YVR, but sounds like airline/gate agents might be an issue (even though my GE card says I'm a US citizen)
  • Sounds like airline policy and/or Canadian law might totally prevent me from being able to return to YVR
Has anyone done something like this recently?

I've also attempted to contact the US consulate in Vancouver, through email and going to the consulate right when it opens at 8am, to ask them for help but I've been totally shut down on that front as well.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 7:03 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dlenski
I'm a US citizen living in Vancouver (YVR). NAFTA work permit for Canada.

I have a GlobalEntry card with a far-future expiration date, but unfortunately my passport is expiring August 8.

And I need to travel to the USA 3 times this summer…
  • June 24-July 5 (booked from/to YVR on UA)
  • August 25-30 (booked from/to YVR on DL)
  • ~July 15-25 (not booked yet)
My current plan is to book the July 15-25 flight from/to Seattle on AS, because I know I'll be able to get in/out via the land border.

However, I'm worried that there's a possibility my passport won't be renewed in time for the late-August trip.

So, what I'm wondering is, is there any chance/possibility that I can fly without my passport? I've read the whole thread on doing the same with a Nexus card and generally confused but…
  • I'm pretty confident I could get CBP to let me into the preclearance area at YVR, but sounds like airline/gate agents might be an issue (even though my GE card says I'm a US citizen)
  • Sounds like airline policy and/or Canadian law might totally prevent me from being able to return to YVR
Has anyone done something like this recently?

I've also attempted to contact the US consulate in Vancouver, through email and going to the consulate right when it opens at 8am, to ask them for help… but I've been totally shut down on that front as well.
Airline is not going to board you in either direction as they don't take GE card as a travel document. You can probably pull this off with Air Canada and a NEXUS card. But not with a GE card.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 7:21 pm

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Agree with seawolf. For your up coming three trips, at which point will you be traveling without your U.S. passport? Even for land crossing, sometimes officer will ask for your passport in addition to your Global Entry card. Your best option is to apply for a new passport ASAP either in Canada or in the U.S. You can get a new U.S. passport on the same day or in one day. Urgent US Passport Renewal Advice and Urgent passport renewal needed -
dlenski likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 7:28 pm
Original Member

Call the US consulate to see if they issue limited validity emergency passports. Overseas US embassy/consulates do. It's printed on-site and is valid for 1 year (apply in the morning and pick it up in the afternoon).

The great thing about them is the fee is the same as a regular 10 year passport and if you put in a regular application before the limited validity passport expires (and submit the limited validity passport with the application), you get a new 10-year passport without additional cost; essentially 11 years for the price of 10.
1KChinito and dlenski like this.
Old Jun 21, 2022, 6:58 am

I don't know if this was a one-off but Canada didn't accept my Global Entry card for entry at a land crossing. Agent said this was a US program not accepted by Canada. YMMV.
An unexpected trip to Niagara Falls, just watched them from the US side.
squeakr likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2022, 9:52 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by Brighton Line
I don't know if this was a one-off but Canada didn't accept my Global Entry card for entry at a land crossing. Agent said this was a US program not accepted by Canada. YMMV.
GE card is not a recommended travel document for entry to Canada.

CBSA officer may or may not accept it similar to how CBSA may/may not accept a US birth certificate or just a verbal declaration of US citizenship for entry.
dlenski likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2022, 6:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by seawolf
Call the US consulate to see if they issue limited validity emergency passports. Overseas US embassy/consulates do. It's printed on-site and is valid for 1 year (apply in the morning and pick it up in the afternoon).
As far as I can tell, I don't strictly qualify for the "emergency" exception because my travel isn't actually for emergency reasons; it's just spaced in such a way that I can't identify a safe window to do the "normal" renewal process.

Perhaps I just need to walk up tomorrow morning and say "Help, I'm traveling in 2 days! I have my DS-86 form, photographs, current passport, and check drawn on a US bank right here."

The great thing about them is the fee is the same as a regular 10 year passport and if you put in a regular application before the limited validity passport expires (and submit the limited validity passport with the application), you get a new 10-year passport without additional cost; essentially 11 years for the price of 10.
Wow, great hack indeed 🤯
Old Jun 21, 2022, 6:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Brighton Line
Yep, this part I'm aware of.

I'm confident that I can nevertheless get back into Canada without my passport given that I have other docs (Canada work permit in my name) and given that CBSA has a high propensity for reasonableness when you explain your situation.
Old Jun 21, 2022, 6:30 pm
Original Member

As far as I can tell, I don't strictly qualify for the "emergency" exception because my travel isn't actually for emergency reasons; it's just spaced in such a way that I can't identify a safe window to do the "normal" renewal process.

Perhaps I just need to walk up tomorrow morning and say "Help, I'm traveling in 2 days! I have my DS-86 form, photographs, current passport, and check drawn on a US bank right here."

Wow, great hack indeed 🤯
You don't need to have an "emergency" to obtain a limited validity passport. Having a passport expiring soon but you don't have time to obtain a normal replacement because of other travel plans in interim would IMO be a valid reason. If you were in the US, your option would be to apply at a passport agency. Outside the US, the equivalent would be the limited validity passport.

IMO your options are to reach out to consulate to see if they will issue limited validity passport or perhaps on the your trip into US, go to a passport agency and pay expediate fee for same day turnaround.
squeakr and dlenski like this.
Old Jun 25, 2022, 9:20 pm

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
What I noticed these days when you arrive at Canadian airports even though you use your nexus card at the kiosk still the Canadian officer request a passport and refuse to let you in with your nexus card. It happened to me recently more than three times.
dlenski likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2022, 1:02 pm
Original Poster

You don't need to have an "emergency" to obtain a limited validity passport. Having a passport expiring soon but you don't have time to obtain a normal replacement because of other travel plans in interim would IMO be a valid reason. If you were in the US, your option would be to apply at a passport agency. Outside the US, the equivalent would be the limited validity passport.

IMO your options are to reach out to consulate to see if they will issue limited validity passport or perhaps on the your trip into US, go to a passport agency and pay expediate fee for same day turnaround.
I now have a limited-validity passport (1 year duration).

As far as I know, I won't have any problems using it for my multiple upcoming CA→US→CA trips but now I am also likely to need to travel to Europe in September.

Will I have any issue with getting on a flight to Schengen zone with my limited-validity, chipless passport? I've seen conflicting opinions on this.
Old Jul 29, 2022, 6:59 pm
Original Member

I now have a limited-validity passport (1 year duration).

As far as I know, I won't have any problems using it for my multiple upcoming CA→US→CA trips but… now I am also likely to need to travel to Europe in September.

Will I have any issue with getting on a flight to Schengen zone with my limited-validity, chipless passport? I've seen conflicting opinions on this.
No issues with it. Immigrations in FRA/DUS/AMS/LHR didn't even give it a second glance and neither did various airline agents.

I used mine for 11 months before submitting it renewal. As indicated in prior post, be sure to submit a regular renewal application along with this passport before it expires so that you get a new 10-year passport (11 year for the price of 10).
dlenski likes this.

Last edited by seawolf; Jul 29, 2022 at 7:27 pm
Old Aug 1, 2022, 7:31 am

The Schengen zone requires passport validity 3 months beyond your planned return date so keep that in mind.
Old Aug 1, 2022, 7:58 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting

For those who apply in the US at a passport agency office, “emergency” applications typically come back with full-duration US passports. If I were to be issued a one-year (or even less) limited validity passport at a US passport agency office upon presentation of a soon to be expiring or very recently expired US passport in good physical condition for procurement of an ordinary US passport, I wouldn’t leave the country until sorting out why they did that and first getting a new full-duration passport in hand.

When applying outside of the US, getting a limited (1 year or less) validity passport is more typical when applying in-person and needing the passport for imminent travel. It’s not typical when applying in the US.
Old Aug 1, 2022, 8:36 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Moderator's Note: Topic Drift

This thread has strayed way of its topic, the OP's questions and the subject matter of the Trusted Travelers forum.

If anyone is interested in resuming the original discussion of whether it is possible for a US citizen who resides in Canada to travel to the US and back to Canada with a Global Entry card and without a passport, and has something to contribute which has not already been said, we will consider reopening the thread.

Thank you for your participation,

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.