Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Expired Nexus card not valid ID for boarding Air Canada flight at YYC

Expired Nexus card not valid ID for boarding Air Canada flight at YYC

Old Jun 14, 2022, 12:42 pm

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
Strange, when standing in line to board I see more nexus cards than any other form of ID's.

With so many new hires, training is being rushed I am sure.

Expired ID, I always loved when one can use an expired ID as if your identity will change? A birth certificate is acceptable but it does not have a picture?
Old Jun 14, 2022, 1:00 pm
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
Originally Posted by RangerNS
When has expired ID ever been considered valid?
When the government shut everything including enrollment centers down and said that expired cards are fine for the time being as it was then.

Originally Posted by Sopwith
However, there is great risk to the travelling public if they accept an expired card for ID. You see, it’s entirely possible my identity has changed now that the card has expired. 🙄 And if it has changed,so what? I’ve been through security and am therefore deemed not to be a threat.
Just carry another piece of id. Post-9/11 has been all about secure ID, having gate or tsa agents get pedantic over a validity date has been reality for decades now.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 1:13 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
The US considered a bunch of expired US passports to be valid for travel/flights to the US until a couple of months ago. Canada was also informed to consider such expired ID as valid for flights to the US.

Can’t speak about CATSA’s policy on this, but I’ve often had the TSA in the US accept expired ID without issue as long as the ID wasn’t more than a year beyond the printed expiration date.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 1:24 pm

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
FWIW, I have boarded domestic AC flights using my (non-expired) NEXUS card in YEG, YUL, YYC and YVR in the last 3 weeks. No issues. Same at the security lines.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 2:26 pm

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Not unheard of, especially since Covid. For instance, the US allows its citizens to fly home on with an expired passport.
https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...al-travel.html

While not travel-related, financial institutions in Canada have been instructed to accept expired IDs until quite recently.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by Yhztraveller
Hard for anyone to know that your "expired" Nexus card has been extended....

I have used Nexus at boarding for years and never had an issue. AC may be misinterpreting the rules, but I wouldn't be trying to use an expired Nexus at the gate anyway.

I also don't really understand the issue getting the Nexus card renewed. We have 5 Nexus cards in my immediate family. All 5 expired during covid, and all 5 were renewed within a month of the renewal application. They used the same picture as the previous card and no interview was required??
Like you, my NEXUS was renewed without requiring an interview. Not everyone was so lucky. As we all know, NEXUS interviews were suspended during COVID, and remain so in Canada. So anyone that was selected for an interview didn't get a new card, and only recently was able to even try for a (US side) interview.

NEXUS border privileges were extended for those with expired cards that applied for renewal prior to expiration, but that basically meant you could still use NEXUS lanes and probably use of NEXUS and GE kiosks. Using an expired NEXUS as means of ID for any other purposes, including flight ID was probably iffy at best.
vancouver25k likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Stopped using Nexus years ago as ID, either at security (except to enter TTP priority security lines in Canada) and for ID at checkin/boarding. Too variable in knowing who might accept it and who might not. It’s just easier to use a DL or passport. It should be acceptable - it’s a REAL ID from a U.S. perspective too, and is therefore approved to use for TSA, etc. too many don’t know what it is - while it’s easier for me transborder, since it just sits in wallet, it became too much of a pain.

i do understand why it’s not if it is showing a past due expiry date, though. Though I think in the US, an expired DL can still be used for some time after for TSA (maybe 5 years?).
Old Jun 14, 2022, 3:17 pm

An unexpired Nexus ID is a government issued ID, the same way as your driver license or provincial ID. It should be acceptable to fly anywhere domestically in Canada AND US. And I would think internationally too on a departure ticket. TSA usually just swipe it and your info should be pulled up. Never had an issue.

The gate agent is stupid.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 4:15 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Yes they have. But I only have a 100 or so data points flying AC out of SFO. Check-in has been hit or miss, but at the gate, I think I've only been asked for my passport once when terminating in Canada.
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Maybe it's just United that requires a passport.
Canada treats Nexus as secondary ID, and you need go carry a passport or other proof of citizenship (some carry birth certificate instead).

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/16703663-post11.html

If the gate agent knows everyone needs a passport, I don't fault any US fo Canada departure from denying an unexpired nexus and certainly an expired Nexus.

Nexus cards did not all get extended.. Only if you paid to renew before it lapsed. Any airline agent in Canada or UA has no way to tell if you renewed it.

Every time in the last year when arriving at YYZ from the US, I am asked for my passport while exiting the Nexus lane (though, that could be just to add the fancy red or green covid testing sticker).

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/prog/nexus/faq-eng.html

I am a NEXUS member and a lawful permanent resident of the U.S. (Green Card holder). Do I need a passport to travel?

In the air, land and marine modes you are required to carry your passport.
seawolf likes this.

Last edited by expert7700; Jun 14, 2022 at 4:21 pm
Old Jun 14, 2022, 4:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by expert7700
Since the gate agent knows everyone basically needs a passport, I don't fault any US fo Canada departure from denying an unexpired Nexus.
Canadian citizens do not need a passport to enter Canada.

Every time in the last year when arriving at YYZ from the US, I am asked for my passport while exiting the Nexus lane (though, that could be to add the fancy red or green covid testing sticker)
That's the only reason why.

I am a NEXUS member and a lawful permanent resident of the U.S. (Green Card holder). Do I need a passport to travel?

Be prepared: Always carry with you a valid proof of your lawful permanent resident status of the U.S. (such as a Green Card).
That would be for travel to the US. And that's what CBP wants, not what AC cares about.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 6:18 pm

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
Last year I used my Military veteran's card which has no expiry date and that worked also

The list shows Canadian Military Identification

Works well in US ballparks also for vet discounts
Old Jun 14, 2022, 7:07 pm

Programs: AC 25K, Aeroplan Amex Reserve
https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/prog/nexus/faq-eng.html

That only applies if you are a US LPR, not a Canadian visitor.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 7:20 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, AC .995 MM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold,Hertz something or other, Sandals Sapphire, etc
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Canadian citizens do not need a passport to enter Canada.
But how do you prove that you are a Canadian citizen?? My only proof of citizenship is my passport, or Nexus card....
seawolf likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 7:51 pm

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
When I first got my Nexus card around 20 years ago the T&Cs clearly stated that pax also need to carry their passport and could not rely on acceptance of the Nexus card on its own.

Has this changed?
Old Jun 14, 2022, 7:57 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Symmetre
When I first got my Nexus card around 20 years ago the T&Cs clearly stated that pax also need to carry their passport and could not rely on acceptance of the Nexus card on its own.

Has this changed?
Yes, it has changed. You no longer need to carry a passport according to Govt website, a Nexus card is sufficient for travel to the US and Canada if you are Canadian citizen. However as you can see from previous posts, the agents do whatever they feel is correct including demanding a passport.
NEXUS Air: 4. Entering the U.S. by air (cbsa-asfc.gc.ca)

Last edited by vernonc; Jun 14, 2022 at 8:06 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.