Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Global Entry - Received Warning for Counterfeit Louis Vuitton Bag

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2022, 11:30 am
Original Poster

Received warning when enter jfk for fake louis vutton bag. For how long it will be on my profile?
Old Apr 4, 2022, 12:31 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
I would be more concerned about revocation or denial of renewal.

Take a look at the following threads:
Loren Pechtel likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2022, 12:36 pm

Ah, how did they know it was fake? Far as I know, it's 100% legal entering the United States with "one" counterfeit item used for personal consumption, i.e., one fake watch, one fake bag and a fake luggage are fine. Of course, using counterfeits goods in any capacity in some countries--France comes to mind--is always illegal, but not the United States.
Old Apr 4, 2022, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by Visconti
Ah, how did they know it was fake? Far as I know, it's 100% legal entering the United States with "one" counterfeit item used for personal consumption, i.e., one fake watch, one fake bag and a fake luggage are fine. Of course, using counterfeits goods in any capacity in some countries--France comes to mind--is always illegal, but not the United States.
100% legal? Are you sure\/ do you have case law to show it’s 100% legal to bring counterfeit goods into the USA?
Old Apr 4, 2022, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by AlanA
100% legal? Are you sure\/ do you have case law to show it’s 100% legal to bring counterfeit goods into the USA?
Single item for personal use, not for resale, is 100% legal to bring into the United States is my understanding. For example, it is legal for me to buy one replica Rolex, solely for my own personal use, in HK, and wear it when I return to the USA; and, likely being under $800, I wouldn't even have to declare it.

I'm not a lawyer, but, if I'm wrong, I'm sure one of the many lawyers on FT will correct me.

PS - By the way, I'm not advocating one way or the other on whether one should or shouldn't engage in the purchase of counterfeit or replica goods.

Furthermore, unless things have changed, the US Dept of Justice has stated that federal law doesn't prohibit an individual from buying a counterfeit product for personal use, even if he/she does so knowingly.

*Note* - Again, I'm not in any way suggesting one should purchase or condoning the trafficking of counterfeit goods, only making an observation of current US federal law regarding the matter.
dlenski likes this.

Last edited by Visconti; Apr 4, 2022 at 1:09 pm Reason: added DOJ comment...
Old Apr 4, 2022, 12:47 pm
Original Poster

For how long?

So for how long it will be on our “name”? Any idea? Experation time?
Old Apr 4, 2022, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by edulik
So for how long it will be on our “name”? Any idea? Experation time?
Probably forever?
Ari likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2022, 2:09 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
100% legal isn't accurate, but I suspect that Visconti probably read the relevant customs directive or maybe read 9 CFR §148.55 (which applies to American trademarks). It's worth noting that the post you're responding is about a counterfeit good, specifically not goods.
Ari likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2022, 2:40 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Received warning when enter jfk for fake louis vutton bag. For how long it will be on my profile?
Were there circumstances that warranted the warning? (i.e. did you not meet the requirements of directive 2310-011A linked above?)
Old Apr 4, 2022, 2:52 pm

Was it fake?
Old Apr 4, 2022, 7:02 pm
Suspended
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
1) Why did you purchase/use a rep which is that bad of a looking fake to be caught by cbp? Seriously, they never stop folks if its 1 rep. Something must have been pretty bad or you had multiple.

2) were you using the fake bag or did you have the fake bag in your suitcase? If it was in your suitcase.. gl.

You're lucky you weren't fined. Stick to using DHL if you're going to buy reps. You'll have this mark on your travel record permanently btw. There's several reddit posts about this if you search it.
renila likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2022, 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by Visconti
Single item for personal use, not for resale, is 100% legal to bring into the United States is my understanding. For example, it is legal for me to buy one replica Rolex, solely for my own personal use, in HK, and wear it when I return to the USA; and, likely being under $800, I wouldn't even have to declare it.

I'm not a lawyer, but, if I'm wrong, I'm sure one of the many lawyers on FT will correct me.

PS - By the way, I'm not advocating one way or the other on whether one should or shouldn't engage in the purchase of counterfeit or replica goods.

Furthermore, unless things have changed, the US Dept of Justice has stated that federal law doesn't prohibit an individual from buying a counterfeit product for personal use, even if he/she does so knowingly.

*Note* - Again, I'm not in any way suggesting one should purchase or condoning the trafficking of counterfeit goods, only making an observation of current US federal law regarding the matter.

Sounds like they got their warning .

According to the statute (19 U.S.C. §1526(d)(1)), such restrictions do not apply to the importation of articles accompanying any person arriving in the United States, when such articles are for his personal use and not for sale, provided such articles have been approved and enumerated by Customs, and that such person has not been granted a 1526(d) exemption within 30 days immediately preceding his arrival. However, 19 U.S.C.§1526(d)(4) also authorizes the Secretary of the Treasury to prescribe such rules and regulations as may be necessary to carry out th
Old Apr 4, 2022, 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by Orange County Commuter
According to the statute (19 U.S.C. §1526(d)(1)), such restrictions do not apply to the importation of articles accompanying any person arriving in the United States, when such articles are for his personal use and not for sale, provided such articles have been approved and enumerated by Customs, and that such person has not been granted a 1526(d) exemption within 30 days immediately preceding his arrival. However, 19 U.S.C.§1526(d)(4) also authorizes the Secretary of the Treasury to prescribe such rules and regulations as may be necessary to carry out th
Not that I plan on it, but it sounds as if a counterfeit item needs to be declared even if for personal use. So, if I were to, say, but a replica Rolex in Schenzhen, wear it upon my return to the United States, and declare it as a replica (counterfeit) item for personal use never to be resold, assuming I haven't exercised this exemption within the last 30 days, would be 100% legal, right?
Old Apr 6, 2022, 2:19 pm

The statute requires you to transfer the item to another for commercial advantage or private gain. Just having a counterfeit LV bag with you as your personal accessory isn't illegal (at least not under 18 USC 2350).
Old Apr 7, 2022, 6:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Surely whether it goes on your record or not depends on if the officer took your details - passport number etc - down or not.

So was this purely verbal or was any documentation completed?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.