Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

[Updated] Canadian NEXUS Enrollment Centers Have Reopened

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 17, 2021, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seawolf
US enrollment centres reopening APRIL 19, 2022

Release Date:

March 31, 2022

WASHINGTON — U.S. Customs and Border Protection is pleased to announce that the NEXUS and U.S./Canada FAST enrollment centers in the United States will reopen April 19, 2022.

Starting April 5, conditionally approved applicants may schedule interviews at U.S. NEXUS and U.S./Canada FAST enrollment centers in the United States on the Trusted Traveler portal. NEXUS and FAST enrollment centers in Canada remain closed until further notice. Applicants may enter the United States to complete their interview, but must meet all applicable travel requirements.

CBP asks all applicants to be patient, as there is a backlog of applications to be processed by a limited number of open enrollment centers. In order to prioritize new applicants requiring interviews, CBP asks existing NEXUS and FAST members to refrain from scheduling an appointment at this time. However, existing members are encouraged to renew their membership applications online before the expiration date on their cards to maintain their membership privileges until they are able to complete an interview at a later time.

NEXUS is a CBP program that allows expedited clearance for pre-approved, low-risk Canadian travelers upon arrival in the United States, while FAST allows expedited clearance into the United States for pre-approved, low-risk commercial drivers from Mexico and Canada. The non-refundable application fee for both programs is $50 each, and applications must be submitted through Trusted Traveler Programs website. Once the applicant successfully passes a background check, a CBP officer will conduct an interview with the applicant at select locations in the U.S. to make a final eligibility determination.

U.S. Customs and Border Protection is the unified border agency within the Department of Homeland Security charged with the comprehensive management, control, and protection of our nation’s borders, combining customs, immigration, border security, and agricultural protection at and between official ports of entry.
https://www.cbp.gov/newsroom/national-media-release/cbp-announces-reopening-us-nexusfast-enrollment-centers
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2020, 10:30 am
Original Poster

Is it possible to change from NEXUS to GE? I applied for my infant daugther to get it for free and was going to drive up to the Canadian border, but that doesn't seem probable anytime soon. I want to switch her to GE, but she is still pending approval for NEXUS.
Old Aug 14, 2020, 4:02 pm

US NEXUS/FAST Enrollment Centers to Reopen April 19, 2022

Unrelated to processing timelines: Does anyone know if you can cross the border (from USA to Canada) for the interviews? I'm a Canadian citizen living in Washington and my interview is scheduled September 21st, with the next available slot being April 2021. Can you cross the border for a day and return to do the NEXUS interview?

Thank you to anyone who has information about this!
Old Aug 19, 2020, 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by Charles Clayton
Unrelated to processing timelines: Does anyone know if you can cross the border (from USA to Canada) for the interviews? I'm a Canadian citizen living in Washington and my interview is scheduled September 21st, with the next available slot being April 2021. Can you cross the border for a day and return to do the NEXUS interview?

Thank you to anyone who has information about this!
Just call and ask, don't chance wrong information.
Old Aug 31, 2020, 1:00 am

Programs: EY
Originally Posted by googs185
Is it possible to change from NEXUS to GE? I applied for my infant daugther to get it for free and was going to drive up to the Canadian border, but that doesn't seem probable anytime soon. I want to switch her to GE, but she is still pending approval for NEXUS.
Not without paying a separate fee for GE. Also if you are worried about having to cross the border for the interview, assuming interviews start again soon, there are certain places like Detroit where interviews are entirely on the US side, so you don't have to worry about even dealing with Canadian entry issues.
Old Aug 31, 2020, 6:15 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, NEXUS
Originally Posted by ramcm7
I know the Champlain, NY location has a Canadian officer in the US building for Nexus interviews. When you would be able to schedule an interview is a tougher question.
Isn't the Champlain, NY location at the border and you have to essentially make a U-Turn at the Border and complete US entry requirements?
Old Aug 31, 2020, 6:52 pm

Programs: AA: Exec Plat; AC: 75K; JX: Explorer; HH: Dia; Bonvoy: Gold; Wyndham: Dia
Originally Posted by OSSYULYYZ
Isn't the Champlain, NY location at the border and you have to essentially make a U-Turn at the Border and complete US entry requirements?
Yup. Last exit in NY on I-87 N. Make a R and another R to get to the service road on the SB side of I-87. Office is still in US, but my Verizon phone welcomes me to Canada.
Old Sep 7, 2020, 9:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ramcm7
I know the Champlain, NY location has a Canadian officer in the US building for Nexus interviews. When you would be able to schedule an interview is a tougher question.
This is my closest location I think. Either that or Vermont.

Originally Posted by xobile
Not without paying a separate fee for GE. Also if you are worried about having to cross the border for the interview, assuming interviews start again soon, there are certain places like Detroit where interviews are entirely on the US side, so you don't have to worry about even dealing with Canadian entry issues.
I just opened another premium credit card that I may or may not keep that credits GE every 4 years. We now have 3. But we will likely cancel one. Should I just keep NEXUS since it is free for minors, even though my wife and I both have GE? Do we have to go to the border for renewals every time or are they without an interview? Thanks!

Originally Posted by yfking
Looks like I was impatient! My application date is Dec-01-2019, and I received conditional approval for myself and my daughter just today (Aug-11-2020), so looks like processing time is somewhere between 8-9 months.

Maybe relevant as a data point - both myself and my daughter applied as US citizens; whereas my wife is a Canadian citizen with GC and she hasn't received her conditional approval yet (applied at the same time), though I'm hopeful it'll come soon. Not that it matters since no inteview slots are available in the US right now...
Good to know. I applied for my daughter on January 23, 2020, so we should be approved soon, I hope.

Last edited by TWA884; Sep 7, 2020 at 12:08 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts by the same member; please use the multi-quote function. Thank you.
Old Sep 11, 2020, 11:22 pm

Hi,

I got my conditional approval today (Sep 11 2020) and had applied on Dec 14 2019.

When I go to schedule my interview, it doesn't show me a lot of options like Detroit, Niagara Falls etc. Is it because these locations are closed currently? I ask this because it does show me some options like Blaine which have a note saying 'No appointments available at this center'. Is there a difference between location closed and no appointments at a location?

Thanks!
Old Sep 12, 2020, 7:58 am

Programs: AA: Exec Plat; AC: 75K; JX: Explorer; HH: Dia; Bonvoy: Gold; Wyndham: Dia
Originally Posted by paypalad
Hi,

I got my conditional approval today (Sep 11 2020) and had applied on Dec 14 2019.

When I go to schedule my interview, it doesn't show me a lot of options like Detroit, Niagara Falls etc. Is it because these locations are closed currently? I ask this because it does show me some options like Blaine which have a note saying 'No appointments available at this center'. Is there a difference between location closed and no appointments at a location?

Thanks!
They are currently only conducting GE interviews. No Nexus or Sentri interviews yet. GE needs only US agents. Other two need Canada/Mexico and I believe both are still closed to US.

Last edited by ramcm7; Sep 12, 2020 at 8:04 am
Old Sep 12, 2020, 3:12 pm

Thanks for the info ramcm7.
Old Sep 16, 2020, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
I read this (claimed to be received e-mail) in another forum (not up for renewal for another 3-4 years).

Dear NEXUS Member,

The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) would like to provide you with a number of updates.

First, the CBSA would like to inform you that in response to the global pandemic of COVID-19, all NEXUS and FAST enrollment centres are temporarily closed.

As a result, all NEXUS and FAST interviews that were previously scheduled will be postponed. Applicants and existing members will need to reschedule interviews after the CBSA and U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) resume joint enrollment operations. The date of re-opening is continually assessed in light of current travel restrictions and we invite you to visit the CBSA website for updates.

To reschedule your NEXUS or FAST interview appointment, please log into your online Trusted Traveler Programs (TTP) System account. NEXUS and FAST members who submitted an application for membership renewal prior to the expiry date on the card will maintain their membership for 18 months beyond the expiry date.

Second, the Vancouver Urban Enrollment Centre for NEXUS and FAST interviews will not be re-opening to the public once COVID-19 restrictions are eased. Interviews may be scheduled at any of the other enrollment centres after they re-open, including at the nearby Vancouver International Airport or in Birch Bay, Washington.

Finally, as part of Canada’s efforts to reduce the spread of COVID-19, all travellers – including those on exempt travel – are required to provide specific information upon entry into Canada. The recently launched ArriveCAN app enables you to submit your information up to 48 hours prior to your arrival. It reduces physical contact for a safer, faster border process. You can download it on your mobile device through the App Store or Google Play.

You are on exempt travel if you are entering Canada to provide: trade or transport services; essential services; cross-border services or medical services. If you have previously provided any of these services, but are now entering Canada for other reasons, you are not on exempt travel.

All travellers – excluding those on exempt travel – are required to isolate or quarantine for 14 days after entering Canada. At the border, you will need to provide details on where you will be quarantining. After crossing the border, you will need to check-in with the Public Health Agency of Canada about your symptoms, and confirm you are sticking with your quarantine plan. The ArriveCAN app will enable you to also submit this information.

Visit Current border measures and requirements for information about how COVID-19 is affecting travellers, border services, programs and business.

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate your patience through this process.

Sincerely,

Travellers Policy and Programs Directorate

Canada Border Services Agency
Old Nov 15, 2021, 2:11 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
US NEXUS/FAST Enrollment Centers to Reopen April 19, 2022

U.S. NEXUS/FAST Enrollment Centers to Re-Open November 29
Release Date: November 15, 2021

Washington, D.C. — U.S. Customs and Border Protection is pleased to announce that the NEXUS and U.S./Canada FAST enrollment centers in the United States will reopen on November 29, 2021. It should be noted, however, that the NEXUS and FAST enrollment centers in Canada will continue to be closed until further notice.

Starting today, conditionally approved applicants may schedule interviews at available NEXUS and U.S./Canada FAST enrollment centers in the United States. Appointments must be booked through the Trusted Traveler portal: https://ttp.dhs.gov/ and will have dates available starting November 29.

CBP asks all applicants to be patient with the system as there is large backlog of applications to be processed by a limited number of open enrollment centers. In order to prioritize new applicants needing interviews, CBP is asking existing NEXUS and FAST members to refrain from booking an appointment at this time. However, existing members are encouraged to renew their membership before their expiry date on their cards to maintain their membership privileges until able to complete their interviews at a later time.

seawolf and chinoz like this.
Old Nov 15, 2021, 2:27 pm

Yea now just to get an appointment
Old Nov 15, 2021, 2:59 pm
ALW

It should be noted, however, that the NEXUS and FAST enrollment centers in Canada will continue to be closed until further notice.
Old Nov 15, 2021, 4:04 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Some locations actually have openings tomorrow (NOV 16).

However interview confirmation indicate

*****The U.S. and Canada have announced NEXUS and U.S./Canada FAST interviews will resume on November 29, 2021. DO NOT schedule your NEXUS or FAST appointment before November 29***** Must bring to Interview original Birth Certificate or passport, Drivers License and vehicle registrations.
Your government at work....why did they load appointment opening prior to NOV 29?

Last edited by seawolf; Nov 15, 2021 at 4:16 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.