Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Global Entry for Nexus holders at US airports

Global Entry for Nexus holders at US airports

Old Jan 5, 2017, 11:25 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: YQB
Programs: AC, UA, Delta, TG, WestJet
Posts: 125
Canadian Citizen with Nexus Entering the US from Europe

I’m a Canadian citizen (Passport) with a Nexus card.
I will be arriving in MIA at the end of this month, from Oslo.
Could I use the “Global Entry” line for US border clearance?
Dyno is offline  
Old Jan 5, 2017, 11:38 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Canada
Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 2,194
Yes you can (= but you use your Canadian Passport at the global entry kiosk.
reclusive46 is offline  
Old Jan 6, 2017, 8:20 am
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: YQB
Programs: AC, UA, Delta, TG, WestJet
Posts: 125
Oh! That's good!
Thanks!
Dyno is offline  
Old Jan 7, 2017, 12:40 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: SEA, or BOS, or MUC, or other places (probably connecting). "Detroit, Michigan is in the Eastern time zone."
Programs: DL PM/1MM, AS 100K, NEXUS/GE, CLEAR, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Gold
Posts: 1,195
You can use your passport in the Global Entry kiosks if your fingerprints are in the CBP system. (They almost certainly scanned them at your NEXUS interview.)
CKDGM is online now  
Old Feb 1, 2017, 12:29 pm
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: YQB
Programs: AC, UA, Delta, TG, WestJet
Posts: 125
It worked.... as expected!
Less than 2 minutes to go trough custom at MIA.... zero waiting!
Dyno is offline  
Old Sep 22, 2020, 5:23 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Toronto, ON
Programs: US Air, Flying Blue, United, Air Canada, Aeromexico
Posts: 424
Global Entry for Nexus holders at US airports

Canadian citizen with Nexus and having used Global Entry at pre-clearance airports in Canada (YYZ) for flights to US many times.
Question : Can I use Global Entry when arriving from Mexico at a US airport -DFW in this case ? Again, Canadian citizen NOT US citizen.
Thanks
ticu is offline  
Old Sep 22, 2020, 5:33 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Programs: DL PM 1MM
Posts: 3,430
Originally Posted by ticu
Canadian citizen with Nexus and having used Global Entry at pre-clearance airports in Canada (YYZ) for flights to US many times.
Question : Can I use Global Entry when arriving from Mexico at a US airport -DFW in this case ? Again, Canadian citizen NOT US citizen.
Thanks
Nexus members can use Global Entry kiosks when entering the US - it does not matter where you are traveling FROM. If the airport has a Global Entry kiosk, Nexus members can use them.
aeroman380 likes this.
mnbp is online now  
Old Sep 22, 2020, 6:16 pm
  #8  
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: LAX
Programs: oneword Emerald
Posts: 20,242
NEXUS includes all Global Entry benefits.

From the Official Trusted Traveler Program website:

Benefits
  • Travel by Air, Land and Sea
  • Expedited vehicle/pedestrian entrance into U.S. or Canada.
  • Expedited marine entry into U.S. from Canada.
  • Access to TSA Pre✓® expedited security lanes at airports within the U.S. and U.S territories for U.S. Citizens, U.S. lawful permanent residents and Canadian citizens.
For additional information, please refer to the following thread:TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
TWA884 is offline  
Old Sep 22, 2020, 7:26 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Toronto, ON
Programs: US Air, Flying Blue, United, Air Canada, Aeromexico
Posts: 424
Originally Posted by TWA884
NEXUS includes all Global Entry benefits.

From the Official Trusted Traveler Program website:

For additional information, please refer to the following thread:TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
What about this: https://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-t...programs/nexus
Quote:

NEXUS

The NEXUS program allows pre-screened travelers expedited processing when entering the United States and Canada. Program members use dedicated processing lanes at designated northern border ports of entry, NEXUS kiosks when entering Canada by air and Global Entry kiosks when entering the United States via Canadian Preclearance airports. NEXUS members also receive expedited processing at marine reporting locations.
It doesn't say anywhere about US Airports . Or I don't see it.
I agree with you that it should work, but the text on the website above is misleading or incomplete.
Have you used GE at US airports , assuming that you have a Canadian passport?
ticu is offline  
Old Sep 22, 2020, 7:29 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: YVR, HNL
Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Posts: 7,803
Originally Posted by ticu
What about this: https://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-t...programs/nexus
Quote:

NEXUS

The NEXUS program allows pre-screened travelers expedited processing when entering the United States and Canada. Program members use dedicated processing lanes at designated northern border ports of entry, NEXUS kiosks when entering Canada by air and Global Entry kiosks when entering the United States via Canadian Preclearance airports. NEXUS members also receive expedited processing at marine reporting locations.
It doesn't say anywhere about US Airports . Or I don't see it.
I agree with you that it should work, but the text on the website above is misleading or incomplete.
Have you used GE at US airports , assuming that you have a Canadian passport?
Many times. I am Canadian and have used it dozens of times entering the US from abroad. Don’t worry and trust what people here are telling you. Nexus includes all of the benefits of GE.
ticu, TWA884 and aeroman380 like this.
Finkface is offline  
Old Sep 25, 2020, 10:22 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Toronto, ON
Programs: US Air, Flying Blue, United, Air Canada, Aeromexico
Posts: 424
Originally Posted by Finkface
Many times. I am Canadian and have used it dozens of times entering the US from abroad. Don’t worry and trust what people here are telling you. Nexus includes all of the benefits of GE.
Thank you. I want to mention that everybody was right.
I received in the meantime also this answer from CBP if anybody is interested:

CBP Information Center <[email protected]>


Thu, Sep 24, 9:54 PM (13 hours ago)

Thank you for contacting the CBP Traveler Communications Center.

Upon arrival in the United States from any international flight, NEXUS members will scan their passports at the Global Entry kiosks at designated airports for entry into the United States.

Participation in NEXUS also provides US and Canadian citizens and U.S. LPRs full access to Global Entry Benefits as well as TSA pre check.

Thank you again for contacting the CBP Traveler Communications Center.
ticu is offline  
Old Apr 21, 2023, 7:18 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 6
Denied Use of Global Entry Lane with NEXUS

Hi folks,

Apologies if this has been asked/answered already, but I’ve searched and searched without luck.

I’m a Canadian with a valid NEXUS membership, recently travelling between Lisbon and JFK. This was my first attempt using GE from a destination outside Canada, so I’d spent a fair amount of time familiarizing myself with the process and confirming my eligibility. Upon arrival in JFK I dutifully scanned my passport at the GE kiosk but it directed me to seek assistance from a GE officer so I joined the line to speak with one.

Officer I spoke with was bewildered that I’d attempt to use the GE line and directed me to the normal one. I insisted on my eligibility, showing him my passport, NEXUS card, the trusted traveller website, etc. In turn he flipped his screen around to show me a picture of myself (the same one printed on my NEXUS card) with a big “NOT FOUND” label on my profile. After a bit of back-and-forth where he sent me back to the kiosk a few times, the issue hadn’t resolved itself and we were at an impasse.

He eventually let me through after letting me know a few times that he wasn’t obligated to, and was doing so as a courtesy. He told me the programs were not the same, and in order to use GE lanes I’d need to get ahold of CBP and let them know I’d like to switch my membership to GE (I have a non-resident US work visa but I’m quite certain I’m not eligible for this anyway).

For reference, my current passport is the same one I registered and was approved for NEXUS with, and doesn’t expire for a few more years. I’ve used the card to travel transborder out of YYZ 20+ times in the past year but am never waved through— kiosk always directs me to speak to an officer. I can use the automated gates arriving back in YYZ by tapping my card and completing the short declaration.

Questions are as follows:

1. Am I indeed eligible to use GE lanes, travelling from outside the US/CAN to the US with my NEXUS membership?
2. Is this a system issue, either where there’s a flag on my profile or where the documents aren’t properly linked? If either, how would one go about resolving those?

Thanks!
unicornsample is offline  
Old Apr 21, 2023, 9:22 pm
  #13  
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: LAX
Programs: oneword Emerald
Posts: 20,242
Originally Posted by unicornsample
Questions are as follows:

1. Am I indeed eligible to use GE lanes, travelling from outside the US/CAN to the US with my NEXUS membership?
2. Is this a system issue, either where there’s a flag on my profile or where the documents aren’t properly linked? If either, how would one go about resolving those?

Thanks!
Hello unicornsample,

I merged your question into the relevant thread.

The answer is that you are eligible to use the Global Entry kiosks when entering the US whether you arrive from Canada or elsewhere in the world.

There must be an issue with your profile; otherwise, why would the kiosks at the preclearance location always direct you to see a CBP officer? You should stop by a NEXUS enrollment center and have them take a look at it.

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
1KChinito and CorSter like this.
TWA884 is offline  
Old Apr 23, 2023, 10:20 am
  #14  
Original Member
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: NYC
Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 14,606
Try giving the numbers here a call.

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/services...tacts-eng.html
seawolf is offline  
Old Apr 23, 2023, 10:50 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: YYZ
Posts: 595
Originally Posted by unicornsample
I’ve used the card to travel transborder out of YYZ 20+ times in the past year but am never waved through— kiosk always directs me to speak to an officer.
I have no inside knowledge but this suggests to me there is a broader issue with your profile on the US side - I would specifically try and go into a CBP staffed enrollment centre (so one in the US, not at a Canadian airport) and see if they can check your profile out.

You mention having no issues coming back in to Canada, so everything seems to be in order on the Canadian side - and I'm not sure if CBSA agents staffing the Canadian enrollment centres have full access to the US side of things or not to escalate something like this.
CorSter is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.