Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Deadline to Complete Trusted Travelers Enrollment Interviews Extended due to COVID-19

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 4, 2020, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
In response to the COVID-19 outbreak, CBP extended the period of time that Trusted Traveler Program applications remain active. All applicants now have TWO YEARS from the date that CBP conditionally approves their application to complete the enrollment process. In addition, CBP will extend the Trusted Traveler Program benefits of members who apply for renewal before their current membership expires pending the final approval of the renewal application.

Print Wikipost

Deadline to Complete Trusted Travelers Enrollment Interviews Extended due to COVID-19

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2020, 8:58 am

Programs: BA GGL - maybe only briefly!
Yes, excellent - we might just make it!

I rather rashly (as it turned out) declined an opportunity for an interview at JFK in January, thinking we would both do it together during our June trip .......
Old Dec 19, 2020, 4:05 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Good news...I'll post this below...but I asked in the Trusted Travelers thread and found out we are good. So no response needed-just some experience info trying to interview on arrival.

Grace Period Question,....

My GE was renewed in March without need for an interview. My wife's required an interview-which we have not been able to do. We tried in Aruba preclearane-there system was down. Today in DFW, they refused to do it-saying the email I have been getting about doing on return from international trip at DFW that they would. One guy told my wife. "You'll be fine without GE..." I didn't like that. Her's expires Monday.

So she's conditionally approved for renewal pending interview. Does she get an extra year of use due to Covid. I think, so, but am confused as its possible to read that since the ball is in our court it could be our issue????

Anyone know the answer. (I did her application Jan 2019 and set a March interview to match mine...)
Old Jan 29, 2021, 3:32 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
I asked this in another thread but have some follow up questions.

The question: My GE expired Dec 2019. I filed for renewal before then. It was conditionally approved Jan 2020. I guess now I have 2 years, or Jan 2022, to get final approval. Do I still get GE benefit until Jan 2022 (or final approval), or no b/c my GE already expired?
Old Jan 29, 2021, 4:41 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
You received the correct answer in the other thread where you asked this question, as long as you applied for renewal before the expiration date of your membership, you will continue to receive all Trusted Traveler Program benefits pending the final approval of your renewal application.
Old Jan 30, 2021, 7:25 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by italdesign
I understand I have 2 years (730 days) from time of conditional approval to complete enrollment (I guess meaning interviewed and final approval). Does anyone know if my GE will be effective during those 2 years, which are after the original expiry?
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
It will as long as your renewal is prior to the expiry f your membership.
Do you have a reference for this? Just did NEXUS renew. Site indicated

Your application for the Trusted Traveler Program has been conditionally approved. You will need to complete enrollment within 730 days of the date of conditional approval
You become eligible to renew your membership 1 year prior to program expiration. If you submit a renewal application before your membership expires, you will be able to continue to use benefits up to 1 year after your membership expiration date. Follow these steps to renew your Trusted Traveler membership:
NEXUS expires SEP 2021. Application conditionally approved JAN 2021.

I’m interpreting NEXUS benefits will be extended to SEP 2022 (1 year grace) while application is active for interview until JAN 2023 (730 days). There is a gap in NEXUS benefits between OCT 2022 to JAN 2023.

In theory you only get no lapse in benefits if your submit a renewal the day you become eligible to submit a renewal (1 year prior to expiration) and it is conditionally approved quickly otherwise there is a risk of a lapse in benefits.
Old Jan 30, 2021, 9:18 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by seawolf
NEXUS expires SEP 2021. Application conditionally approved JAN 2021.

I’m interpreting NEXUS benefits will be extended to SEP 2022 (1 year grace) while application is active for interview until JAN 2023 (730 days). There is a gap in NEXUS benefits between OCT 2022 to JAN 2023.

In theory you only get no lapse in benefits if your submit a renewal the day you become eligible to submit a renewal (1 year prior to expiration) and it is conditionally approved quickly otherwise there is a risk of a lapse in benefits.
Each and every previous time that the deadline to complete the enrollment interview was extended due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Trusted Traveler Program benefits of members who applied for renewal before their current membership expired were extended to match the new deadline to complete the enrollment process. That was true when the deadline was extended to a year and later to eighteen months.

Here is the relevant language from the CBP national media release dated July 1, 2020, announcing the 18 months extension:
Each applicant now has 545 days from the date that CBP conditionally approves his or her application to complete the enrollment process. In addition, CBP will extend for up to 18 months the Trusted Traveler Program benefits of members who apply for renewal before their current membership expires.
The CBP has not been good keeping their website and, in some cases, email communications to reflect the up to date benefit extensions. Some pages on the CBP site still incorrectly show that the extension is valid for only six months or a year. Other CBP web pages were eventually updated to reflect the length of the benefit extension which matches the revised deadline to complete the enrollment interview, most recently with the extension of eighteen months.

Based upon the history of the benefits being extended in the past year to match the extended deadlines to complete the enrollment process, I am absolutely certain that the benefits extension is currently up to 18 months, pending the final approval of renewal applications, and am confident that in actuality it is two years.
GUWonder likes this.

Last edited by TWA884; Jan 30, 2021 at 9:34 am Reason: grammar/syntax
Old Jan 30, 2021, 10:07 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by TWA884
Each and every previous time that the deadline to complete the enrollment interview was extended due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Trusted Traveler Program benefits of members who applied for renewal before their current membership expired were extended to match the new deadline to complete the enrollment process. That was true when the deadline was extended to a year and later to eighteen months.

Here is the relevant language from the CBP national media release dated July 1, 2020, announcing the 18 months extension:The CBP has not been good keeping their website and, in some cases, email communications to reflect the up to date benefit extensions. Some pages on the CBP site still incorrectly show that the extension is valid for only six months or a year. Other CBP web pages were eventually updated to reflect the length of the benefit extension which matches the revised deadline to complete the enrollment interview, most recently with the extension of eighteen months.

Based upon the history of the benefits being extended in the past year to match the extended deadlines to complete the enrollment process, I am absolutely certain that the benefits extension is currently up to 18 months, pending the final approval of renewal applications, and am confident that in actuality it is two years.
It does appears there's no quality control on information being put out by CBP's and TTP site. Let's assume the July 2020 press release of 18 months is still in effect until otherwise.

As an example, an applicant's current TTP expires JAN 31,2021, their "pre-expiration renewal window" starts JAN 31, 2020 (1 year prior).

If they renew at the start of the "pre-expiration renewal window" on JAN 31, 2020 and obtain conditional approval 1 day after, their application will be active until FEB 1, 2022 for interview. An 12 or 18 month grace period on the current membership will provide benefits covering the conditionally approved period.

On the other hand, if they renew near the tail end of the "pre-expiration renewal window" (eg JAN 1, 2021) and obtain conditional approval 1 day after, then the application will be active until JAN 2, 2023 for interview. An 12 or 18 month grace period on the current membership will provide benefits only up to JAN 31, 2022 or JULY 31, 2022. This will leave a gap in benefit as the renewal application is valid until 2023 but membership grace period ended 6 to 12 months ago.

Under current published guidance, renew as early as possible. While 1 business day decision on conditional approval is possible as per data points, there are also various data points pointing to extended processing times just to get conditional approval.
Old Jan 30, 2021, 10:50 am

Let's assume the July 2020 press release of 18 months is still in effect until otherwise.
The 18 months extension of the Trusted Traveler Program benefits of members who apply for renewal before their current membership expires is in effect; there is no reason to assume otherwise.

It was first announced in the April 22, 2020 CBP press release, which you linked in this thread on the date that it was issued. It was also mentioned in CBP press releases which were issued on May 26, 2020, July 1, 2020 and July 20, 2020, and in a CBP article published on July 21, 2020.

If you have a link to a source that the 18 months benefits extension is no longer in effect, please post it.
mnbp likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2021, 1:26 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by TWA884
The 18 months extension of the Trusted Traveler Program benefits of members who apply for renewal before their current membership expires is in effect; there is no reason to assume otherwise.

It was first announced in the April 22, 2020 CBP press release, which you linked in this thread on the date that it was issued. It was also mentioned in CBP press releases which were issued on May 26, 2020, July 1, 2020 and July 20, 2020, and in a CBP article published on July 21, 2020.

If you have a link to a source that the 18 months benefits extension is no longer in effect, please post it.
After an application is conditionally approved at this moment, a verbiage of text is displayed on TTP site that the grace period is 1 year. For a typical user, they would be led to believe that grace is 1 year unless they go a search on the web.

12 vs. 18 month grace period is not really the issue here. Even with an 18 month grace, prior comments made on this and other threads that as long as renewal is submitted prior to expiration, there will be no lapse in benefit is not entirely accurate as it depends on when conditional approval is obtained. It might have been true at some point last year but doesn’t seem to be entirely accurate absent a press release that links grace period with renewal application together.

No lapse only if conditionally approved during the first half of the 1 year pre-expiration renewal period. Potential lapse if conditionally approved during the later half of the window. Granted applicant can make an effort to get an interview earlier to avoid the potential lapse.

Last edited by seawolf; Jan 30, 2021 at 1:36 pm
Old Jan 30, 2021, 2:17 pm

12 vs. 18 month grace period is not really the issue here. Even with an 18 month grace, prior comments made on this and other threads that as long as renewal is submitted prior to expiration, there will be no lapse in benefit is not entirely accurate as it depends on when conditional approval is obtained. It might have been true at some point last year but doesn’t seem to be entirely accurate absent a press release that links grace period with renewal application together.

No lapse only if conditionally approved during the first half of the 1 year pre-expiration renewal period. Potential lapse if conditionally approved during the later half of the window. Granted applicant can make an effort to get an interview earlier to avoid the potential lapse.
Based upon the history of the Trusted Travelers benefits extensions being linked to the extension, due to the pandemic, of the enrollment interviews completion deadlines, I disagree with your interpretation.

Our members can form their own opinions based upon the available information in this thread and elsewhere.

[moderator's hat on]
This discussion has been exhausted. It is time to move on until there are new developments. If there are, please post links to the source(s) of the information.
[moderator's hat off]
mnbp likes this.

Last edited by TWA884; Jan 30, 2021 at 2:27 pm
Old Apr 12, 2021, 7:48 pm

From the Nexus Renewal Information and Processing Timelines thread:
Originally Posted by IluvSQ
Just received this email today:,

NEXUS and FAST enrollment centres remain temporarily closed and enrollment interviews are not being conducted at this time. The enrollment centres will remain closed until the travel restrictions at the Canada-United States border are lifted. As a result, all NEXUS and FAST interviews that were previously scheduled will be cancelled, and applicants and existing members will need to reschedule interviews after the CBSA and U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) resume enrollment operations. Further updates on the re-opening of the enrollment centres will be shared on the CBSA website.

Existing NEXUS and FAST members who renew their membership before the expiry date on their card will be granted an extension of their membership benefits. Therefore, please renew your membership before it expires to avoid losing your privileges while your renewal is pending.

Visit Current border measures and requirements for information about how COVID-19 is affecting travellers, border services, programs and business.

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate your patience through this process.

Sincerely,

Travellers Policy and Programs Directorate
Canada Border Services Agency
Old Apr 13, 2021, 6:40 am
Original Member

NEXUS renewal applications which are conditionally approved now show the following.
Originally Posted by txviking
My card expires in June of this year (2021). I applied for renewal in February, and have been waiting for conditional approval ever since. I did notice this in the portal:

"Due to a significant increase in application volume, we are extending the grace period from 12 months to 18 months for any submitted renewal application. This means you will continue to receive full benefits for 18 months while U.S. Customs and Border Protection is finalizing your renewal application."

Apparently, that means I'm now good to go until December 2022, even with the renewal pending?
It was listed as 12 months back in January 2021.
Old Apr 14, 2021, 10:54 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles; Hilton HHonors; NEXUS; National Emerald Club Executive
NEXUS renewal applications which are conditionally approved now show the following.

It was listed as 12 months back in January 2021.
Yep, I saw that. Looks like their backlog has grown worse. I'm a bit worried that I don't have conditional approval yet, and I am not sure if I can use it until I get to a NEXUS office to update my citizenship (I've become a US citizen, but still retain my original Norwegian citizenship.)

But I suppose it doesn't matter at the moment, since the border with Canada is currently closed for most travelers, as are all the NEXUS offices. I'll need to wait for those to reopen before I can do any travel to Canada with or without NEXUS.
Old Apr 29, 2021, 8:45 am

Global Entry Interview Time Extended

My wife was supposed to do her Global Entry interview by last November but Covid shut interviews down. She checked last month and was able to get an interview at SFO. She was told that Global Entry interviews were extended to 700 days from application approval because of Covid. If you have been unable to get an interview and feared the deadline had passed check again.
txviking likes this.
Old May 25, 2021, 9:50 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles; Hilton HHonors; NEXUS; National Emerald Club Executive
Originally Posted by txviking
Yep, I saw that. Looks like their backlog has grown worse. I'm a bit worried that I don't have conditional approval yet, and I am not sure if I can use it until I get to a NEXUS office to update my citizenship (I've become a US citizen, but still retain my original Norwegian citizenship.)

But I suppose it doesn't matter at the moment, since the border with Canada is currently closed for most travelers, as are all the NEXUS offices. I'll need to wait for those to reopen before I can do any travel to Canada with or without NEXUS.
The status is unchanged, but the grace period appears to have grown again:

Due to a significant increase in application volume, we are extending the grace period from 18 months to 24 months for any submitted renewal application. This means you will continue to receive full benefits for 24 months while U.S. Customs and Border Protection is finalizing your renewal application.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.