Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Does renewing early mean you lose time on your existing GE?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2020, 4:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador

Friend of mine had GE with expiry on 31st October. They are applying now for renewal because they have read of the delays.

The question they have (and I can't find the answer) is that when they get approved does the 5 years start from the date of the new approval or does it start from 1st November.

So say they renewal is approved on 1st July does it run until 30th June 2025 or 31st October 2025 i.e. do they lose 3 months off their current GE (like you lose time if you renew your passport early)

Thanks
Old Jan 29, 2020, 6:49 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
No time lost with renewals.

Expiration/validity period for GE renewal doesn’t work like it does for US passport expiration/validity period for standard full duration US passports being renewed.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Marvelous thanks.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 9:51 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Hello @UKtravelbear,

Global Entry expiration dates are always on the members' birthdays. When renewing, regardless whether applying 364 days or a few weeks prior to the expiration date, the new expiration date will be five years from the previous one.
UKtravelbear likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 10:24 am

Programs: NEXUS; alas, no status anymore.
I can confirm this is true with NEXUS, which is based on similar cycles to GE. I renewed my August 2020-expiring NEXUS membership last August and my new expiry date on the renewal card, issued September 4, 2019 is August, 2025.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Confirmed with a renewal that was completed today. It's valid until mid-July 2025, on a birthday.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.