Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Speeding Ticket in National Park - Losing Global Entry?

Old Jan 2, 20, 11:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Gold/SW A+ - HH Diamond, Marriott/IHG Gold

My apologies if this has been addressed elsewhere, I did a search of the forums and did not find a similar question.

I was pulled over by a Park Ranger in Death Valley National Park recently for going 20 mph over the posted speeding limit, and I was issued a United States District Court Violation Notice, stating that I had violated 36 CFR 4.21(c) and that I must pay a $210 fine. The ticket lists me as a defendant and says that I "may be admitting to a criminal offense and a conviction may appear in a public record" if I pay the ticket. Is that true? Am I at risk of admitting to a misdemeanor and potentially losing Global Entry if I pay the ticket, or is this a civil infraction? Has anyone else lost Global Entry because they paid a national park speeding ticket? Will I be able to appeal the revocation, if it happens?
Old Jan 2, 20, 1:42 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles

Programs: AAdvantage | MileagePlus
Looking at 36 CFR 4.2, it would appear that state law governs traffic violations in national parks. In California, most speeding violations are infractions.
Old Jan 2, 20, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by sammy343 View Post
My apologies if this has been addressed elsewhere, I did a search of the forums and did not find a similar question.

I was pulled over by a Park Ranger in Death Valley National Park recently for going 20 mph over the posted speeding limit, and I was issued a United States District Court Violation Notice, stating that I had violated 36 CFR 4.21(c) and that I must pay a $210 fine. The ticket lists me as a defendant and says that I "may be admitting to a criminal offense and a conviction may appear in a public record" if I pay the ticket. Is that true? Am I at risk of admitting to a misdemeanor and potentially losing Global Entry if I pay the ticket, or is this a civil infraction? Has anyone else lost Global Entry because they paid a national park speeding ticket? Will I be able to appeal the revocation, if it happens?

My wife got a ticket for 22mph over while waiting for her Conditional Approval. She was conditionally approved while waiting for her court date and then was approved for GE without any problem (she did fully disclose her ticket at her interview). Not sure if this applies to your situation but I don't think a traffic violation like this would lead to revocation of your GE, unless you're repeat offender and or stuff like DUI more serious stuff.

BTW, don't pay the ticket. Hire a traffic lawyer (near your court location) and they'll likely negotiate a reduced conviction for you....and you probably don't have to show up in court. Your lawyer fee is probably about the same, or even less than your ticket cost....and you'll likely save (a lot) on insurance over 3 years.
sammy343 and Loren Pechtel like this.
Old Jan 3, 20, 7:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I've never heard of anyone having GE revoked due to a regular traffic ticket at a national park and I know about a rather significant variety of GE revocations. But there are situations where speeding in a national park may be a criminal misdemeanor under federal law. There are ways of driving in a national park that do place a person at risk of committing a criminal act:

https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/...ol1-sec1-3.xml

If this had happened to me, I would be more concerned about my vehicle insurance costs than about GE membership revocation. Either way, make sure the ticket is addressed and ends up paid before delay of payment (or non-payment) becomes a bigger problem.
Often1 and Randyk47 like this.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jan 3, 20 at 7:30 am

Search this Thread
Search Engine: