Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Issues With Global Entry [printer malfunction; passport update; conditional approval]

Issues With Global Entry [printer malfunction; passport update; conditional approval]

Old Dec 31, 19, 3:50 pm
Original Poster

On a recent flight back to BOS my wife, daughter, and I tried to go through the Global Entry kiosks. I went first, scanned my passport, scanned fingerprints, then I got the message to collect my receipt and go through. However, nothing printed. I waited for a bit, but by this time the screen had reset back to where it's ready for someone to scan their passport again. I tried scanning my passport again, but got an error message saying something like 'previous border crossing was too soon.'

Meanwhile my wife and daughter's passports weren't recognized by the machines at all, we tried a few different ones. Each time the passport was scanned they got an error that they couldn't be found in the system. In my wife's case, she clearly has Global Entry, we both got it at the same time almost 3 years ago. For my daughter, she had her enrollment interview in November, about a week before Thanksgiving. She's only 2 so I was there as her guardian. The officer conducting the interview told me that she has been approved and to expect her card in a couple of weeks. We haven't yet received her card but I thought she nevertheless would still have Global Entry.

Any ideas on what went wrong or what steps I should take to fix this? Appreciate the help, thanks.
Old Dec 31, 19, 4:37 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage | MileagePlus
For you, it seems to be a case of a kiosk malfunction.

For your daughter's situation, it would appear that she did not receive final approval. It is not unusual for it to take longer for children and infants.

Please refer to the following threads:
As far as your wife is concerned, has she ever been able to use a Global Entry kiosk? If not, it may be a case of an application which is stuck at the "Conditionally Approved" stage.

Did you check with a CBP officer stationed near the GE kiosks at the Federal Inspection Services facility at the Boston airport right after you experienced these issues? It may take a visit to a GE enrollment center to resolve these issues.
Old Dec 31, 19, 9:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by shinjukuflyer View Post
Meanwhile my wife and daughter's passports weren't recognized by the machines at all, we tried a few different ones. Each time the passport was scanned they got an error that they couldn't be found in the system. In my wife's case, she clearly has Global Entry, we both got it at the same time almost 3 years ago. For my daughter, she had her enrollment interview in November, about a week before Thanksgiving. She's only 2 so I was there as her guardian. The officer conducting the interview told me that she has been approved and to expect her card in a couple of weeks. We haven't yet received her card but I thought she nevertheless would still have Global Entry.

Any ideas on what went wrong or what steps I should take to fix this? Appreciate the help, thanks.
At any point in time before this BOS incident at the kiosks, has your wife successfully used the same passport at Global Entry kiosks? If so, then it could be a kiosk malfunction. And this wouldn't be the first time BOS has had a chunk of its GE kiosks have malfunctions and be taken out of service (perhaps for as little as needing new paper).

About the daughter, it's possible to be a GE member and not have received a GE card. But if the child were supposed to get a GE card but no such GE card was delivered even two or three weeks after the child's enrollment interview step was completed by your family, then it's possible that the CBP did not activate the child as a GE member in the most timely manner possible.

Have you gone to the TTP.DHS site and logged in for your wife and daughter to see what it says?
Old Jan 1, 20, 11:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
Have you gone to the TTP.DHS site and logged in for your wife and daughter to see what it says?
Probably should have done this first! So looks like in my wife's case it still shows her expired passport information. We both renewed our passports recently and I could have sworn that when I updated my info on the TTP website my wife updated hers as well, but apparently not. Hopefully now with the update she won't have problems going forward.

And for my daughter, it still says "Conditionally Approved" and allows me to schedule an interview. Will follow the advice in the other thread to try and resolve this.

Originally Posted by TWA884 View Post
For you, it seems to be a case of a kiosk malfunction.
If this happens again, what should I do? I didn't see anybody I could go talk to, other than two officers who were there to collect your receipts, ask questions etc.
Old Jan 1, 20, 11:18 am
Original Poster

Hmm reading some of the later replies in this thread looks like others have had trouble updating passport information online. So it could have been that the system recognized my update but not my wife's.
Old Jan 2, 20, 2:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Probably should have done this first! So looks like in my wife's case it still shows her expired passport information. We both renewed our passports recently and I could have sworn that when I updated my info on the TTP website my wife updated hers as well, but apparently not. Hopefully now with the update she won't have problems going forward.

And for my daughter, it still says "Conditionally Approved" and allows me to schedule an interview. Will follow the advice in the other thread to try and resolve this.

If this happens again, what should I do? I didn't see anybody I could go talk to, other than two officers who were there to collect your receipts, ask questions etc.
Given your info provided above, I would say there may not have been any kiosk malfunction relevant to the situation other than perhaps that of the machine(s) being out of paper/having a paper-related problem.

The key things to do are to see that your daughter’s conditional approval status gets update to a full approval for membership activation and to make sure your wife’s new passport information sticks in her TTP account for GE. The CBP employees handling GE enrollment on arrival — when and where it’s operating — are able to address the situation, but I’m not sure how convenient a fix that is for your circumstances.
Old Jan 9, 20, 10:07 am
Original Poster

I have tried calling the enrollment center where we had the interview but it automatically forwards to voicemail. I have left multiple messages but havenít heard a response. I called a different center and was able to get through to an officer but he told me there was nothing he could do and that only the officer who interviewed my daughter could approve the application.

Any advice on how to proceed? I have also tried PMing the forum user who has helped other users with these issues in the past but no response.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: