Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Applied for TSA Pre after Global Entry is revoked. What are odds of getting approved?

Applied for TSA Pre after Global Entry is revoked. What are odds of getting approved?

Old Dec 25, 19, 7:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL UA

My Global Entry was revoked more than 2 years ago, when I missed tossing out a mango that was in my bag after landing, and a CBP beagle sniffed it up. After an exhausting 14+ hour flight it slipped my mind that I did not consume the mango en route. At that time, I lost all hope of ever getting accepted again to any of the trusted traveler programs.

After that incident, over the past 2 years, on about 10 international trips (except the last two), I was flagged for secondary inspection before boarding the US bound flight. My cabin bags were opened and inspected, and I was quizzed as if I could be a potential threat. After landing at a US airport, my bags were x-rayed, and some of them were opened and inspected by CBP officials. I accepted that this routine is part of my international travel experience, for the rest of my life.

Then something changed on the last two trips. I was not flagged for secondary inspection before boarding the US bound flight, and my bags were not inspected at port of entry. My guess is that I was surveilled for 2 years like I'm a potential threat, and was discovered over the course of this time, that I am as harmless as any peace loving normal citizen, and so I was knocked out of whatever lists are maintained for potential terror suspects. I have no idea what lists are maintained by US counter terrorism agencies, and what criteria they use to keep someone on these lists or not. It is all my hunch that that was what happened. Any experts can chime in, how these things work.

This gave me some hope, that I might be accepted as a trusted traveler again. So, I applied for TSA Pre, and will be appearing for an interview.

Questions:

1) Am I having false hope? Once revoked for a violation, is there is no chance of ever getting accepted into any trusted traveler program again?

2) Are all violations the same? Or some violations more severe than others, and hence treated differently for the purpose of re-acceptance?

3) In particular, where does my violation rank in degree of severity?

4) How should I prepare for the interview? In particular, how should I tackle my customs violation during the upcoming interview, without being untruthful, and without making it appear self incriminating? That was my only customs violation in my entire life.
Old Dec 25, 19, 8:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
1. The downside of applying and being denied is that you are out $85. If you are willing to risk that, why not?

2. The only way your issue ever arises is that if a routine database check by TSA reveals the GE revocation and that leads to a further inquiry. If it does, be 100% honest. Don't bother making excuses such as how tired you were. Just admit it, you were wrong, you learned your lesson, and have moved on.

3. TSA tends to be less stringent that CBP and your violation is a Customs matter and was not prosecuted.
Old Dec 25, 19, 9:48 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles

Programs: AAdvantage | MileagePlus
There are several reports in the Global Entry Denial Recourse thread and elsewhere in the Trusted Travelers forums of individuals who were approved for PreCheck after their Global Entry applications were denied.
Old Dec 26, 19, 9:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL UA
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
1. The downside of applying and being denied is that you are out $85. If you are willing to risk that, why not?
One of my credit cards covers the application fee for a trusted traveler program once a year. No cost to me.

2. The only way your issue ever arises is that if a routine database check by TSA reveals the GE revocation and that leads to a further inquiry. If it does, be 100% honest. Don't bother making excuses such as how tired you were. Just admit it, you were wrong, you learned your lesson, and have moved on.
Thanks for the advice.

3. TSA tends to be less stringent that CBP and your violation is a Customs matter and was not prosecuted.
This is encouraging.

Originally Posted by TWA884 View Post
There are several reports in the Global Entry Denial Recourse thread and elsewhere in the Trusted Travelers forums of individuals who were approved for PreCheck after their Global Entry applications were denied.
This is really encouraging. Thanks!

Last edited by TWA884; Dec 26, 19 at 9:49 am Reason: Merge consecutive posts by the same member; please use the multi-quote function. Thank you.
Old Dec 26, 19, 10:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If your CC covers the fee, there is zero downside to applying. Why even speculate? The downside is the status quo, e.g. you don't have it.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: