Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Poll - Are you getting renewed for GE without an interview?

View Poll Results: Was an interview required for your GE renewal?
I was renewed for GE without needing to have an interview
63.64%
I was required to schedule an interview in order to renew my GE membership
36.36%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 13, 19, 12:27 pm
Moderator: Travel with Pets
Original Poster

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold

I submitted my GE renewal on 11/8 and received an email today saying my status had changed and I needed to login to my account. I was really surprised to discover that my GE membership showed as renewed for an additional 5 years and that there was no mention of needing to go for another interview.
Old Nov 13, 19, 12:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There is a lengthy thread on this topic. Many (most) people who posted in it, noted that they had been renewed without an interview.

Makes sense unless there is a red flag in the new information.
Old Nov 13, 19, 12:36 pm
Moderator: Travel with Pets
Original Poster

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
There is a lengthy thread on this topic. Many (most) people who posted in it, noted that they had been renewed without an interview.

Makes sense unless there is a red flag in the new information.
Yes there is an existing thread but a poll like this gives a clearer picture.

If the mods feel otherwise they are welcome to close it.
Old Nov 13, 19, 2:06 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles

Programs: AAdvantage | MileagePlus
As I posted in the Global Entry Renewal thread, in my family, we are three for three. All of us received final approval of our Global Entry application without the need for an interview.

My impression from having closely followed the other thread is that approximately two out of three renewal applications are approved without the need to interviewed.

I was going to merge the two GE renewal threads, however, since apparently there is no option to add a poll to an existing thread, I'm going to keep this one open just for keeping track of how many GE members receive final approval of their renewal applications without having to be interviewed.

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Nov 13, 19, 3:12 pm
Community Director

At our home, my husband was renewed. I had to have an interview. Same travel patterns.
Old Nov 13, 19, 7:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
In our case we both had to go to renewal interviews. (NOTE: Poll would only allow one vote but it really was two renewals.) Even the agent thought it was not required as he deemed our renewals as routine with no apparent issues. He had no real questions outside of verifying basic information like address, employment status, driver’s license, and if our travel list was accurate. Took us together and we were in and out in ten minutes. Luckily the airport is only nine miles from our house and we had a nice lunch.

Last edited by Randyk47; Nov 14, 19 at 5:31 am
Old Nov 14, 19, 3:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
The poll question has too few options and excludes participation for some of us who have been getting GE renewals finalized after being conditionally-approved.

Also, one of the two currently-listed possible responses is premised on a condition that has not been applicable for well over a year: that about scheduling an interview to renew GE membership. Conditionally-approved applicants -- renewal or otherwise -- can get GE renewed without ever scheduling any GE interview .... as long as the conditionally-approved renewal applicant does the enrollment on arrival process (or a walk-in elsewhere) within 365 days of the GE membership status' on-file expiration date. This applies to most every renewal applicant in my travel parties.

There are conditional renewal approvals that take place where there is literally no interview and the CBP employee is just re-capturing fingerprints and photos. Not even asking a single question, not even making any request of the applicant to verbally or otherwise confirm any text-based biographical information or provide anything beside a passport and the GE printed receipt. This applies to a minority of this year's renewal applicants in my travel parties.

Can we add a few more options to the poll to include such kind of renewal applicants? Or change the poll to be something like this (which seems to be more of the kind of situation of interest to the OP):

A) GE renewal approved without needing to do EOA, walk-in or appointment visit.
B) Conditionally-appproved renewal and got final approval after EOA, walk-in or appointment visit.

Or just change the second option in the current poll to "I was conditionally-approved and required to visit CBP in order to get my GE membership renewed".

Thanks.
Happy likes this.

Last edited by GUWonder; Nov 14, 19 at 4:13 am
Old Nov 16, 19, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would like to see a dedicated thread about people's experiences on Walk In locations, especially some of them (2 out of 3 in South Florida) are NOT at airports.

My husband's renewal was approved within 5 working days, did in August.

Mine did on Monday was conditional approval also within 5 days. Luckily there are at least or 3 options to do interviews here.

Same travel pattern, even passports are with same dates, only a few numbers apart (renewed passport in Feb 2019 at same time.)

Only difference I could remember is that I forgot to change the DL info to affirm it is an EDL. The default is No. But FL DL has been EDL for a long long time.

The easiest would be to the CBP office near Port Everglade but they dont have appointment nor pick up the phone to answer question about walk in possibility. There is no office at the airport. Trying to find walk in information at this location so far not much available.

Next one is at West Palm Beach Port - the earliest appointment is last week of Feb. Nothing before and nothing after (how much time in advance one can schedule an interview? May be March onward is not opened yet...)
However they do walk in between 3 to 4pm 7 days a week.

If opted, MIA has appointment available as early as Nov 18. But it is such an inconvenient location I dont really want to endure the annoying drive together with expensive parking. TriRail is another way to get there but one has to go with the schedule and quite time consuming, although we have been using TriRail for flight to/from MIA the past several years but I would much rather go to Ft. Lauderdale or West Palm Beach.
Old Nov 16, 19, 4:56 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles

Programs: AAdvantage | MileagePlus
Originally Posted by Happy View Post
I would like to see a dedicated thread about people's experiences on Walk In locations...
We do have such a thread:
TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Nov 18, 19, 7:32 pm

Programs: GE, UA silver, Amex Plat, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold
I applied for renewal, including changing address, countries visited, passport number and drivers license. Application date was in May 2019. Considering all the changes noted, I sort of expected to be directed to an interview. Received no conditional approval, just an email today that status had changed, and was approved for another 5 years. Pleasantly surprised.
Old Nov 24, 19, 4:46 pm

Programs: AA 1MM GLD, Hertz #1 Gold, bunch of other programs w/no status
My wife and son renewed without needing an interview. My daughter and I both need interviews for our renewal. Same travel patterns for all of us....almost seems like the need for an interview is randomly determined.
Old Nov 25, 19, 6:12 am

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svcs, AA ExecPlat, WN RR, AZ Freccia Alata+, Hilton gold, SPG/Marriot Gold, Hertz Prez
I cannot vote, I had both...

First renewal was automatically approved no interview...second renewal five years later required me to go in for a few minutes for final approval...so for me both :-)
GUWonder likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: