Not on DL? No Precheck for you!

Old Nov 4, 19, 7:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, GOES
Not on DL? No Precheck for you!

First time I've had to book a domestic flight on anything other than DL in at least 6 years (due to 2x fare, thread here). For the past almost 5 years of Global Entry/Precheck, have had 100% cleared Pre. Tomorrow's AA ATL-LAX flight... NO PRE! I even confirmed I had entered my TSA KTN into AA's system when purchasing ticket.

Almost had a DYKWIA moment when I saw the boarding pass.... "what? wait... don't you know I ALWAYS have Pre?" lol

Anyone else find that an "irregular" booking on another carrier kicked you out of Pre for the flight?
Old Nov 4, 19, 7:18 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by EditingFX View Post
First time I've had to book a domestic flight on anything other than DL in at least 6 years (due to 2x fare, thread here). For the past almost 5 years of Global Entry/Precheck, have had 100% cleared Pre. Tomorrow's AA ATL-LAX flight... NO PRE! I even confirmed I had entered my TSA KTN into AA's system when purchasing ticket.

Almost had a DYKWIA moment when I saw the boarding pass.... "what? wait... don't you know I ALWAYS have Pre?" lol

Anyone else find that an "irregular" booking on another carrier kicked you out of Pre for the flight?
I'm not elite on any airline, but I have had pre check on every single airline, which includes DL, AA, UA, WN, AS, HA, G4, and F9, since I signed up for pre check.
Old Nov 4, 19, 7:55 am

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTG, Hilton Diamond
No. I've never missed PreCheck on an eligible airline (which I have via GE) since I got GE in 2012 -- even when I don't have status on the airline in question.

Are you sure AA didn't just accidentally drop it from the reservation (as DL IT is prone to do -- and has happened when I book DL trips with my wife and they drop her KTN if I'm not paying attention)? You should be able to call up and have them check and if it's in there, add and remove it and it should show up.
Old Nov 4, 19, 8:00 am

Programs: AA PLT, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by EditingFX View Post

Never had any problem at all using PreCheck on any airline I've flown, whether I have status/account with them or not.

Regards
ijgordon likes this.
Old Nov 4, 19, 8:05 am

I'm betting your exact name in your AA profile isn't an exact match to your name in your TSA profile. Common issue on the Southwest forum
Old Nov 4, 19, 8:06 am

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Precheck is based on accurate Secure Flight Passenger Data contained in your reservation. Most likely, there is a typo causing the mismatch.
Old Nov 4, 19, 8:53 am

I have no loyalty to any airline and always get Precheck on every boarding pass. A couple of times it didn't show up on my kid's pass and it was easily taken care of at the airline check in desk.
Old Nov 4, 19, 8:54 am

Book a dummy DL ticket just before entering security and then use this boarding pass. Then cancel it once past security. Helps with SC access too.
Old Nov 4, 19, 9:02 am

Programs: DL DM
Pre-Check is not guaranteed. It can randomly not be given (assuming you have signed up and paid), although that is rare. It is also not tied to any airline or frequent flyer program. As others have mentioned, it may have something
to do with your name and TSA information matching. Middle name or initial? I would check this very carefully.

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/frequentl...ited-screening
Old Nov 4, 19, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, TR 7*, SPG/MR Plat, UA 1K
Since getting GE I've missed getting PreCheck exactly once, on DL, without making any changes to anything in my profile before or after. The trip it happened on was the outbound of a trip booked through an OTA, so it would be fair to suspect a name mismatch etc except that the return flight had Pre (again without touching anything).

So while some things can certainly cause you to miss out on it, sometimes it just happens for no apparent reason (luckily this seems extremely rare)

(Perhaps ironically, for the return flight my ID was temporarily misplaced and I couldn't use Pre anyway.)
Old Nov 4, 19, 9:05 am

Programs: DL 2xMillion Miler, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott/Hilton Gold Life
This isn't true.
I've had PreCheck on all airlines, including WN (Southwest), American, United, Alaska, etc.

Your info has to match - trusted traveler / known traveler number - and you have to confirm everything.
Possibly also go to actual check-in desk the first time you fly the airline (I had to do this with Southwest - but that was due to an error in my profile; my whole family had PreCheck).
Old Nov 4, 19, 9:14 am

Programs: DL DM(segs)/MM, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by Duke787 View Post
Are you sure AA didn't just accidentally drop it from the reservation (as DL IT is prone to do -- and has happened when I book DL trips with my wife and they drop her KTN if I'm not paying attention)? You should be able to call up and have them check and if it's in there, add and remove it and it should show up.
In thousands of flights, I've never had that happen on DL (or any other airline). Actually my fam gets precheck when they're traveling with me and they don't even have PC.
Old Nov 4, 19, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by dmbolp View Post
I'm betting your exact name in your AA profile isn't an exact match to your name in your TSA profile. Common issue on the Southwest forum
this is ultimately the cause of 99.9% of precheck fails
Old Nov 4, 19, 10:12 am
ryw

Programs: WN A, DL FO, Marriott Plat
Only problem Iíve had was on Virgin Atlantic, thereís a known issue where the KTN sometimes gets dropped off the reservation. (Calling in to get an agent to manually add the number seemed to work in that case). Otherwise Iíve had pre-check when flying other airlines like Southwest or JetBlue
Old Nov 4, 19, 10:30 am

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle View Post
Book a dummy DL ticket just before entering security and then use this boarding pass. Then cancel it once past security. Helps with SC access too.
While this is true for SkyClub access if one has it, depending on the time of day and the airport, this seems like it could be a bigger hassle than it would be worth from a time standpoint.

Search this Thread