Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Global Entry Violation - Keeping it Up to Date

Old Oct 30, 19, 7:04 am
Original Poster

Hi, I am a long time Global Entry user and ran into the following situation - would appreciate any help / advice from this forum.

Recently when returning from abroad, I was flagged for a random screen. The officer (in separate room) then asked to confirm my address, driver's license, and place of employment. Since I had moved a 1-2 years ago, and last renewed Global Entry 2 or 3 years ago, and did not update this information, it was all out of date. He said that I was "in violation of the program" and that I needed to keep it up to date or risk having my trusted traveler membership revoked. (I actually didn't know this had to be kept up to date, I thought it was only checked once every 5 years...)

Ok, so I went into the new TTP portal (previously I'd only used GOES) and it's very unclear how do to this. Has anyone done it?
1) Address: is it sufficient to update the mailing address via the "update mail-to address" link in the portal? The FAQ mentions something about needed to visit an enrollment center to update your address.
2) Driver's license: it looks like there is a clear way to do this, but it results in being "submitted" for update and not actially updating. Now it's two weeks later, and it still shows my old driver's license
3) Employer: there doesn't seem to be anywhere to update this information. (I think the officer did mention that address and driver's license were more important).

It seems like visiting an enrollment center would do the trick, but I can't believe that someone needs to visit an enrollment center every time they move?

I submitted an email question to CPB but there has been no reply 2 weeks later. For my most recent trip, I actually used mobile passport instead of Global Entry to be safe (and found it to be just as fast if not faster since you don't need to use a kiosk).
Old Nov 1, 19, 11:54 am

Programs: AA - PlatPro, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Plat, Marriott - Gold, National - Executive, NEXUS
Yes, address changes need to be performed at an enrollment center. If the officer really could have revoked your membership because you were in actual violation of the rules, don't you think they would have? All bluster, that one, but correct in your obligation to update your residential address.

I did my update at YYZ (NEXUS) and my wife's at PHL (GE) when we moved. Both times it was over 12 months since the move and I had used the program many times in the interim.

The CBSA officer at YYZ told me that it was fine since I had at least promptly updated my mailing (but not residential) address online to the new address; the CBP officer at PHL told me that I should be able to do it online (WRONG) and that she didn't need to do it in person (also WRONG) but took her passport and DL and went back into the office and updated it for her when I insisted. Nobody said a peep about risking revocation because we waited a year.

Both were done without an appointment. I had to talk my way past the speaker at PHL (you know if you've been to that GE center), who also told me that she didn't need to make the update in person (WRONG). YYZ had a sign-in clipboard set up just for drop ins like me, separate from the interview queue.
Old Nov 1, 19, 12:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Incorrect.

While the front line CBP Officer could not have revoked GE, a supervisor could approve a recommendation and that is close to a certainty of a revocation.

No, just because the Officer could have effectively revoked OP's GE does not mean that he would have. For the most part, CBP handles routine stuff just fine. An extra bottle of booze, a forgotten purchase. It happens. The key is to be honest about it and it's rare that it amounts to a hill of beans.
Old Nov 1, 19, 3:22 pm

Programs: CBP
We don't have random screenings/referrals for GE.

edit: and revoking a membership due to lack of updated information is a new one to me. There's some details missing. Don't sweat it
GUWonder, TWA884 and OSSYULYYZ like this.

Last edited by maninblack; Nov 1, 19 at 3:28 pm
Old Nov 7, 19, 8:17 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the discussion. Couple points to close it out in case helpful for others:

1) maninblack, I think you are right, it was technically a customs screen, so there was one question about whether I had some food items and then the rest went into the questions I described.

2) Updating documents - I received a reply from CBP. The word is that employer does not need to be updated in between, only at renewal. Driver's license renewal updates do need to be made online, but changes (e.g. new state) must be done in person, as with residential address.

Last edited by maverickFT; Nov 7, 19 at 8:30 am Reason: CBP/CPB

Search this Thread