Canadian with DWI applying for NEXUS

Old Oct 26, 19, 10:22 am
Original Poster

Canadian with DWI applying for NEXUS

Hi everyone. Glad to be here making my first post. I have a question that I am hoping to get answered by Canadians with similar experiences or knowledge of others with similar experiences.

A bit more than 10 years ago I made a stupid mistake and got a DWI (Driving While Impaired). There were no other charges and it involved nothing other than them pulling me over and me getting arrested. I am Canadian and it happened in Canada. I was arrested and later convicted. There was a licence suspension, fine and a "reeducation course" that I completed. It has been more than 10 years since I completed all suspensions and courses. No other run-ins with the legal system since except for 1 speeding ticket 2 hours after I bought a new motorcycle last year. I have not asked for a pardon for the DWI. That is the only item in my criminal history.

My questions for my fellow Canadians is: Will this cause me to be denied a NEXUS card? I have never had an issue entering the US and I tell them about the DWI every time they ask. I am under the impression that my issue may lie with the Canadian side of the approval process. Can anyone tell me if getting a pardon is key or not to worry about it or would a pardon make a difference?

Thanks for reading.

Last edited by Bloodshot; Oct 26, 19 at 10:25 am Reason: clarity
Old Oct 26, 19, 11:40 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles

Programs: AAdvantage | MileagePlus
Originally Posted by Bloodshot View Post
I am under the impression that my issue may lie with the Canadian side of the approval process.
There will also be issues on the US side:
Global Entry and DUI

Applying for Global Entry With Dismissed/Expunged Arrests/Convictions

Global Entry denial for failure to disclose expunged or old convictions

Search this Thread