Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Declaring Jewelry at the Global Entry Kiosk for Customs Duty

Old Sep 12, 19, 10:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy, American, Advantage, Lufthansa Miles and More, Amtrak GuestRewards

I am a US citizen with global entry privileges. I will be bringing back some of my wife's old jewelry from India to the states. The jewelry was gifted to her for our wedding over 18 years back. My wife plans on using them and we are not gifting or selling them.

I plan to have a local jeweler perform an appraisal of the jewelry to estimate their value.

With that, do I have to declare these to customs? How would I indicate this in the global entry kiosk?

Are these considered personal effects? It is my understanding that these are exempt from duty, is that correct?

If I do have to pay duty, will the CBP inspector use the local jeweler 's appraisal as a reference?

Thank you!
Old Sep 12, 19, 11:26 pm

Programs: UA
Has the jewelry ever been in the US? Duty exemption is for personal goods returned to the US or

In order to avoid paying duty on these items, the articles must have either been available for your use or used in a household where you were a resident for one year, and are not intended for any other person or for sale. The year of use does not need to be continuous, nor does it need to be the year immediately before the date of importation.
Old Sep 13, 19, 12:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy, American, Advantage, Lufthansa Miles and More, Amtrak GuestRewards
Originally Posted by arttravel View Post
Has the jewelry ever been in the US? Duty exemption is for personal goods returned to the US .
Thanks for getting back. No, these jewelry were acquired as gifts for our wedding, and remained in a locker in india until now.

If I have to pay duty, does CBP charge a fixed percentage based off the valuation that I produce?
Old Sep 16, 19, 1:57 pm
Moderator: Avianca, Travel Photography, Travel Technology & USA

Programs: Former VIP - Fromin's Deli; Encino, CA - 33 years status granted at successor deli - "Uncle Bernies"
As this is a Global Entry customs declaration question, Moderators will be moving it to the TSS Trusted Travelers forum for proper indexing.
Old Sep 17, 19, 9:18 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA, DL, LH, VX, HA
On the GE question, you would simply tick the box that says you have goods in excess of the duty free allowance and then explain to the agent who asks "what do you have to declare?"

That said, it seems the bigger question is whether the jewelry is exempt from declaration, and, perhaps, whether its value exceeds the duty free allowance.
hdoraisamy likes this.

Search this Thread