Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 4, 2019, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seawolf
Messages posted in the The NEXUS Information Thread between 2007 and 2019 were moved to the:

Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread

Welcome to the Travel Safety/Security Trusted Travelers Forum Nexus Information Wiki! This resource will appear at the top of every page within this thread to help users learn more about this program.

About NEXUS

NEXUS is designed to expedite the border clearance process for low-risk, pre-approved travellers into Canada and the United States.

The Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA) and U.S. Customs & Border Patrol (CBP) are cooperating in this joint venture to simplify border crossing for members while enhancing security.

Program benefits

If you are approved to participate in NEXUS, you will receive a membership identification card to use when entering Canada or the United States at all designated NEXUS air, land and marine ports of entry.

Membership will enable airline passengers to save time by:
  • using automated self-serve kiosks in dedicated areas at designated international airports;
  • using NEXUS/SENTRI lanes at land crossings when/where available. NEXUS lanes entering Canada will likely have a constant red traffic signal. This is to discourage non-NEXUS members from using the lane. Canada-bound NEXUS land crossing operating hours. All occupants must have NEXUS cards when using NEXUS lane entering Canada. At some locations, the NEXUS lane, the inspection booth is not staffed but there should be a call button. When entering US in a NEXUS/SENTRI lane, all occupants must carry either NEXUS, Global Entry, or SENTRI cards (or any combination thereof). Notable exception is Whirlpool Bridge which requires a NEXUS card to open the toll gate on the Canadian side to cross to the US.
  • using the Trusted Traveller Canadian Air Transport Security Authority (CATSA) Security Line at major and select medium-sized Canadian airports to expedite airport pre boarding security screening. For detailed information, please visit the CATSA Web site.

Join NEXUS

Here are the steps for becoming a member. There is a non-refundable processing fee of CAN$50 or US$50 per applicant for a five-year membership card.

About NEXUS
How to apply
Enrolment process

Key points about the program as found by forum members:
  • NEXUS cardholders must advise of ANY changes to their vital information such as passport numbers/validity, visa status, legal names, primary residence, criminal convictions, and employment if it impacts your eligibility in the program.
  • It's normal to find the first in-person NEXUS interview to be months into the future, but a little patience and regular checks on the TTP website almost always yields an interview date much sooner.
  • Each person who wants to participate in the NEXUS program must fill out a separate application form. There is no fee for applicants under the age of 18.
  • If traveling with non-NEXUS family members NEXUS cardholders are required to use the regular customs lines.
  • There is a zero tolerance policy and membership can be terminated for infractions including not having your NEXUS card on you and using the NEXUS lane and not declaring items on your customs declaration card, though members have reported some leniency being granted for such infractions in the past.
  • Private companies may offer services for submitting your application and charge an additional processing fee but these extra charges are not part of the official NEXUS application fee. Expedited services offered by such companies will not assist in speeding up the application process.

Updating Passport with Canada for NEXUS

As per CBSA website, updates to passport information can be handled on TTP.
Please note that NEXUS members are not required to report to an Enrolment Centre to update or change their passport information with the CBSA.
This is supported by data points in post 11122 and 11132 and 223 (Flyer given at NEXUS interview confirming document updates to be made online; report to enrollment centre if unable to change online. - DEC 2021).

Some FT members don't trust instructions provided by CBSA and recommend the following:
Call the Canadian Processing Centre with responsibility for residents of the United States:
  • 800-842-7647 --- Monday to Friday, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm (Eastern Time)

After going through the phone tree to reach a Nexus representative, advise them that you need to update your US passport with Canada.

The representative will give you an email address and instructions to scan your updated passport picture page (include your trusted traveler number on the scan) and then email it to a particular email address. I was advised to put the representative's name in the email message so that he could process the update on the Canadian side. He confirmed that any passport update in TTP does not reach Canada. NOTE: FT members have been able to enter Canada without any issues by updating passport online only.

He specifically requested that only the telephone number be posted (and not the email address).

In case the telephone number doesn't work, here's the webpage where the phone number is posted: Canada Border Services Agency - NEXUS - General Information
Note:

US citizens/residents who have both Global Entry and NEXUS cards and who renew the Global Entry membership whilst their NEXUS card is active, will not be able to renew the NEXUS card until after it expires. The option to do so disappears from the TTP website.
Dear mxzblftspk,

Your NEXUS membership is not set to expire until July 11 2016.

As an approved NEXUS member, you added Global Entry for an additional $100. When you completed your Global Entry application, you received a Global Entry card. When you activated the Global Entry Card, your NEXUS Card was deactivated and the option to renew NEXUS was removed from your account.

If you wish to renew NEXUS, you will have to wait for your NEXUS membership to expire. Once it expires, you will have the option within your TTP online account to renew NEXUS. After you follow all of the steps to become a NEXUS member again, including the completion of an interview at a NEXUS Enrollment Center near the Canadian border, you will receive a new NEXUS card and will have Global Entry benefits at no additional cost.

When your Global Entry account expires 5 years after your application, do not renew it. Global Entry benefits are included with your NEXUS membership.

It is our goal to provide you the best information we have in response to your question. If you follow the information provided in our response, and still need assistance, please reply to this email and we will investigate how we may further assist you.

Thank you again for contacting the CBP INFO Center.

Sincerely,

CBP INFO Center

Print Wikipost

The NEXUS Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2023, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by nandochino
Exactly!
In the previous email, the one Agent said that only Precheck is not eligible for Canadian PR holders, but GE can,
see below;
"Thank you for contacting the CBP Traveler Communications Center.

Unfortunately, Permanent Residents of Canada do not receive the Global Entry benefit of TSA PreCheck as NEXUS members.

Additionally, according to your screenshot, you are not "Approved", your are "Conditionally Approved". "Conditionally Approved" means an interview is required within 5 years from your conditional approval date for an officer to determine whether you are approved or denied for the program. You will not be able to use the membership until you have been "Approved"."

It's so frustrating that even their agent can't tell you anything. As you said, I can be lucky, and I might still get lucky TSA Precheck, but I do not want to risk losing GE & TSA PreCheck as I will be traveling Domestically more than to Toronto. My renewal; is in 2027 so I might wait until I get my Canadian Citizenship and try again.

My logic to apply was potentially moved to Champlain, NY, so I could use it at the land border, but that can wait till mid-2024.
Thanks
I'm also a Canadian PR holding a VWP-eligible passport. Just had my NEXUS interview and was told that I do get Global Entry and Precheck.
Old Mar 16, 2023, 2:29 am

Programs: EY
Originally Posted by flyingin
I'm also a Canadian PR holding a VWP-eligible passport. Just had my NEXUS interview and was told that I do get Global Entry and Precheck.
Originally Posted by nandochino
Yes, I am moving to Canada by 2024, so soon to get CAN citizenship once I meet the requirements; Till that, Nexus doesn't seem promising to me; Global Entry with TSA PrecCheck is still worth more to me than NEXUS now.

For what it's worth this is what it shows when doing the Best Match option on the TTP home page. Once you select Canadian PR it shows NEXUS and has a checkmark under TSA Precheck. However, when clicking 'Learn More' above, it does not include Canadian PRs in the list of TSA Precheck eligibility. If anyone has DPs of being a Canadian PR (non-US citizen/LPR) who is a NEXUS member and did/did not receive TSA Precheck, it would be greatly appreciated to hear.
Attached Images  

Last edited by xobile; Mar 16, 2023 at 2:30 am Reason: added screenshots
Old Mar 16, 2023, 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by xobile
For what it's worth this is what it shows when doing the Best Match option on the TTP home page. Once you select Canadian PR it shows NEXUS and has a checkmark under TSA Precheck. However, when clicking 'Learn More' above, it does not include Canadian PRs in the list of TSA Precheck eligibility. If anyone has DPs of being a Canadian PR (non-US citizen/LPR) who is a NEXUS member and did/did not receive TSA Precheck, it would be greatly appreciated to hear.
Originally Posted by flyingin
I keep getting conflicting information, and my current Global Entry renewal is in 2027, so I do not want to risk my benefits and convert into Nexus, hoping that I will get the benefits of TSA Precheck; I will wait till a few more years before I get my Nexus.
I would like to see if anyone (not holding any LPR or US Citizen, CA citizen) successfully received precheck after moving from Global Entry to NEXUS.
Old Mar 17, 2023, 6:41 pm

I did some digging into the TTP scheduling API. There are "pending" (whatever that means) interview slots for Canadian locations beginning on these dates:
3/27: Winnipeg
4/3: Richmond
4/12: Calgary and Edmonton
4/17: Montreal
4/24: Mississauga and Ottawa

I don't know what "pending" means. I assume that's when interviews will start, but it's just a guess.
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2023, 6:19 pm

Nexus application to GE

Canadian PR living in the US for past 3 years. Applied for Nexus in Dec 2022. Per this thread I don’t expect my application to be reviewed soon. I will be moving back to Canada in July and crossing the border everyday for work in the hospital. How should I go about this? Is it better to cancel my Nexus application and instead do GE? Would really appreciate your thoughts.
Old Mar 19, 2023, 1:43 am

Programs: Amex, JPMR, Nexus
Without Nexus, you will simply not be able to use Nexus lanes to enter Canada. GE will be of no use to you crossing the border daily.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2023, 7:58 am

Programs: EY
Originally Posted by andygill11
Canadian PR living in the US for past 3 years. Applied for Nexus in Dec 2022. Per this thread I don’t expect my application to be reviewed soon. I will be moving back to Canada in July and crossing the border everyday for work in the hospital. How should I go about this? Is it better to cancel my Nexus application and instead do GE? Would really appreciate your thoughts.
both are taking months on end. Might as well wait for nexus so your commute both ways is easier
Old Mar 22, 2023, 1:03 pm

Does a Canadian Nexus pass have any use outside of North America?

A family member in BC is traveling to Germany this spring. Will the Nexus pass be of any use on the return flight home which is a non-stop from Germany to Canada? Would it be of any use with security lines for any flights within EU/Schengen countries?
Thx.
Old Mar 22, 2023, 2:54 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by YVRPeter
A family member in BC is traveling to Germany this spring. Will the Nexus pass be of any use on the return flight home which is a non-stop from Germany to Canada? Would it be of any use with security lines for any flights within EU/Schengen countries?
Thx.
Only useful with CBSA and CBP so useful after landing on fight from Germany to Canada.
SPN Lifer and Xyzzy like this.
Old Apr 3, 2023, 10:54 am

I applied for Nexus in early December 2021. It's now been 16 months, and the application is still showing as Pending Review. I am a US citizen, with Global Entry -which is about to expire and which I cannot renew for as long as my Nexus application is pending-.

(Yes, I know the average Wait Times for everyone are insane).

Is there a phone number where I could ask a human about it? This would not be my first time where a government agency had forgotten to click somewhere until I asked about it.
Old Apr 3, 2023, 12:45 pm

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by LeonS
I applied for Nexus in early December 2021. It's now been 16 months, and the application is still showing as Pending Review. I am a US citizen, with Global Entry -which is about to expire and which I cannot renew for as long as my Nexus application is pending-.

(Yes, I know the average Wait Times for everyone are insane).

Is there a phone number where I could ask a human about it? This would not be my first time where a government agency had forgotten to click somewhere until I asked about it.
Residents of Ontario and the United States
800-842-7647 Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. ET
LeonS likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2023, 10:27 am

I called the number this morning. A friendlier-than-expected rep said they have a backlog of +300,000 applications, and that a 16-month wait is considered normal as of now.

He was kind enough to look up my name, said that everything looks normal on my application, and said they are waiting for the US CBP to send them the Background Check.
chromag and kevinjaku like this.
Old Apr 4, 2023, 10:55 am

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
I called the number this morning. A friendlier-than-expected rep said they have a backlog of +300,000 applications, and that a 16-month wait is considered normal as of now.

He was kind enough to look up my name, said that everything looks normal on my application, and said they are waiting for the US CBP to send them the Background Check.
Thank you for reporting back.
Old Apr 4, 2023, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus

We called last week re: the app of Mrs. Xyzzy and were told t expect a 20 month wait. It's been 16 so far for her as well.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2023, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
We called last week re: the app of Mrs. Xyzzy and were told t expect a 20 month wait. It's been 16 so far for her as well.
Are you applying for the 1st time for NEXUS? I applied last September but it looks like I might need to wait until 2024 to get a response.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.