Old Sep 4, 2019, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seawolf
Messages posted in the The NEXUS Information Thread between 2007 and 2019 were moved to the:

Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread

Welcome to the Travel Safety/Security Trusted Travelers Forum Nexus Information Wiki! This resource will appear at the top of every page within this thread to help users learn more about this program.

About NEXUS

NEXUS is designed to expedite the border clearance process for low-risk, pre-approved travellers into Canada and the United States.

The Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA) and U.S. Customs & Border Patrol (CBP) are cooperating in this joint venture to simplify border crossing for members while enhancing security.

Program benefits

If you are approved to participate in NEXUS, you will receive a membership identification card to use when entering Canada or the United States at all designated NEXUS air, land and marine ports of entry.

Membership will enable airline passengers to save time by:
  • using automated self-serve kiosks in dedicated areas at designated international airports;
  • using NEXUS/SENTRI lanes at land crossings when/where available. NEXUS lanes entering Canada will likely have a constant red traffic signal. This is to discourage non-NEXUS members from using the lane. Canada-bound NEXUS land crossing operating hours. All occupants must have NEXUS cards when using NEXUS lane entering Canada. At some locations, the NEXUS lane, the inspection booth is not staffed but there should be a call button. When entering US in a NEXUS/SENTRI lane, all occupants must carry either NEXUS, Global Entry, or SENTRI cards (or any combination thereof). Notable exception is Whirlpool Bridge which requires a NEXUS card to open the toll gate on the Canadian side to cross to the US.
  • using the Trusted Traveller Canadian Air Transport Security Authority (CATSA) Security Line at major and select medium-sized Canadian airports to expedite airport pre boarding security screening. For detailed information, please visit the CATSA Web site.

Join NEXUS

Here are the steps for becoming a member. There is a non-refundable processing fee of CAN$50 or US$50 per applicant for a five-year membership card.

About NEXUS
How to apply
Enrolment process

Key points about the program as found by forum members:
  • NEXUS cardholders must advise of ANY changes to their vital information such as passport numbers/validity, visa status, legal names, primary residence, criminal convictions, and employment if it impacts your eligibility in the program.
  • It's normal to find the first in-person NEXUS interview to be months into the future, but a little patience and regular checks on the TTP website almost always yields an interview date much sooner.
  • Each person who wants to participate in the NEXUS program must fill out a separate application form. There is no fee for applicants under the age of 18.
  • If traveling with non-NEXUS family members NEXUS cardholders are required to use the regular customs lines.
  • There is a zero tolerance policy and membership can be terminated for infractions including not having your NEXUS card on you and using the NEXUS lane and not declaring items on your customs declaration card, though members have reported some leniency being granted for such infractions in the past.
  • Private companies may offer services for submitting your application and charge an additional processing fee but these extra charges are not part of the official NEXUS application fee. Expedited services offered by such companies will not assist in speeding up the application process.

Updating Passport with Canada for NEXUS

As per CBSA website, updates to passport information can be handled on TTP.
Please note that NEXUS members are not required to report to an Enrolment Centre to update or change their passport information with the CBSA.
This is supported by data points in post 11122 and 11132 and 223 (Flyer given at NEXUS interview confirming document updates to be made online; report to enrollment centre if unable to change online. - DEC 2021).

Some FT members don't trust instructions provided by CBSA and recommend the following:
Call the Canadian Processing Centre with responsibility for residents of the United States:
  • 800-842-7647 --- Monday to Friday, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm (Eastern Time)

After going through the phone tree to reach a Nexus representative, advise them that you need to update your US passport with Canada.

The representative will give you an email address and instructions to scan your updated passport picture page (include your trusted traveler number on the scan) and then email it to a particular email address. I was advised to put the representative's name in the email message so that he could process the update on the Canadian side. He confirmed that any passport update in TTP does not reach Canada. NOTE: FT members have been able to enter Canada without any issues by updating passport online only.

He specifically requested that only the telephone number be posted (and not the email address).

In case the telephone number doesn't work, here's the webpage where the phone number is posted: Canada Border Services Agency - NEXUS - General Information
Note:

US citizens/residents who have both Global Entry and NEXUS cards and who renew the Global Entry membership whilst their NEXUS card is active, will not be able to renew the NEXUS card until after it expires. The option to do so disappears from the TTP website.
Dear mxzblftspk,

Your NEXUS membership is not set to expire until July 11 2016.

As an approved NEXUS member, you added Global Entry for an additional $100. When you completed your Global Entry application, you received a Global Entry card. When you activated the Global Entry Card, your NEXUS Card was deactivated and the option to renew NEXUS was removed from your account.

If you wish to renew NEXUS, you will have to wait for your NEXUS membership to expire. Once it expires, you will have the option within your TTP online account to renew NEXUS. After you follow all of the steps to become a NEXUS member again, including the completion of an interview at a NEXUS Enrollment Center near the Canadian border, you will receive a new NEXUS card and will have Global Entry benefits at no additional cost.

When your Global Entry account expires 5 years after your application, do not renew it. Global Entry benefits are included with your NEXUS membership.

It is our goal to provide you the best information we have in response to your question. If you follow the information provided in our response, and still need assistance, please reply to this email and we will investigate how we may further assist you.

Thank you again for contacting the CBP INFO Center.

Sincerely,

CBP INFO Center

Print Wikipost

The NEXUS Information Thread

Old May 19, 2022, 10:56 am

Programs: AC*SE 1MM
Flew YYZ-BOS on Tuesday and back on Wednesday. Even though I have yet to update my NEXUS profile with my renewed L1-B visa, the process was very smooth. The kiosk just snaps your picture, prints a receipt and off you go. I showed it to the CBP agent and was all ready with my story about "Well, I haven't been able to update my info because the office is closed but I was advised it was OK if I had the documentation on me if you want to see it" but before I could say anything, the officer said "You're all set" and off I went.

Conversely, coming back thru YYZ was a bit of a mess. They have installed a set of 4 fancy NEXUS gates right next to the row of NEXUS terminals. I guess the gate is supposed to be faster - it scans your card, snaps your picture, and the gate opens... BUT you then need to go stand in line behind all the people who went to the normal nexus kiosks and are waiting to hand in their receipt. These new gates seem to be making the process worse.

I didn't try the gate - I used one of the existing kiosks, or at least I *thought* I did but I inadvertently used one of the ones in a special row marked 'Air Crew.' Whoops. Was worried they'd make me go back and do it again, but the officer was happy with the receipt that that one kicked out.
bostonoski likes this.
Old May 19, 2022, 2:13 pm

Programs: AA since 1988 (ex-elite status); Alaska; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by txviking
I did a minor name change at a GE office (dropped my middle name.) They just wanted to see my passport issued with the new name, and updated the GE side with no issue. However, they said CBSA may require a separate update. I haven't been to Canada since NEXUS offices reopened, so I'm not sure what CBSA requires, or how to get it handled. My next entry to Canada will be by car next month (into Alberta.)
I tried to drop in to a GE office at SFO when I arrived, despite the office hours being open per CBP website, there was a HUGE sign: NO WALK-INs. (It also said do not knock, and that they would only check for those waiting outside by appointment.)

I cannot update my name on Nexus online, so if I can't walk in... what on earth am I supposed to do?! Any further ideas welcome.

Originally Posted by Steverino
Conversely, coming back thru YYZ was a bit of a mess. They have installed a set of 4 fancy NEXUS gates right next to the row of NEXUS terminals. I guess the gate is supposed to be faster - it scans your card, snaps your picture, and the gate opens... BUT you then need to go stand in line behind all the people who went to the normal nexus kiosks and are waiting to hand in their receipt. These new gates seem to be making the process worse.

I didn't try the gate - I used one of the existing kiosks, or at least I *thought* I did but I inadvertently used one of the ones in a special row marked 'Air Crew.' Whoops. Was worried they'd make me go back and do it again, but the officer was happy with the receipt that that one kicked out.
FWIW I fly out through YYZ and there was a lot of confusion doing the passport control into US part: a ton of Nexus/GE machines that were empty, all worked well, then we were dumped back into the main line for clearance with US passport holders. A bunch of Nexus folks all shaking their heads and commiserating with each other as each appeared from the direction of the machines. The only thing that was useful at all that day was when they pulled my laptop for inspection I decided to say to the guy "I don't usually have to have electronics inspected", flashed my Nexus card and he closed the laptop and said "here you go, have a nice day".

Also, just to add further Nexus experience: I crossed the land border at Lansdowne and am extremely sad to say they are not sure they will reinstate a Nexus lane there. Which is sort of making the whole program pointless for me - that made a huge difference, especially at weekends.
FriendlySkies likes this.

Last edited by TWA884; Jun 5, 2022 at 5:42 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts by the same member; please use the multi-quote function. Thank you.
Old May 21, 2022, 6:14 pm

Programs: AC SE100K MM
Everyone is checking Nexus expiry dates all of a sudden. Good thing I have more than a year left.
Old May 22, 2022, 4:24 pm

Programs: NEXUS
Hello folks,

Just wanted your opinion about our situation - we had conditional approval during the pandemic years - now, we were able to schedule an in person interview for July 2022, but our conditional approval with extension expires today - do we still have a valid reason to show up for the July interview?

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Cheers,
AG
Old May 22, 2022, 4:55 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by flip4u17
Hello folks,

Just wanted your opinion about our situation - we had conditional approval during the pandemic years - now, we were able to schedule an in person interview for July 2022, but our conditional approval with extension expires today - do we still have a valid reason to show up for the July interview?

Cheers,
AG
It was reported in the Nexus Renewal Information and Processing Timelines thread that the CBSA emailed conditionally approved applicants that if they receive notices that their applications had been cancelled, they should email the CBSA to have them reinstated.
Old May 22, 2022, 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by flip4u17
Hello folks,

Cheers,
AG
As long as your interview is scheduled/booked, your conditional approval stays in tact, regardless of expiry.
Old May 23, 2022, 9:44 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Note

Folks,

Please keep in mind that the Trusted Travelers forum is a fact-based informational forum. It is the place for discussing practical issues directly related to programs such as Global Entry and NEXUS. Members come here to ask for and offer advice to help them travel with minimum hassle.

Please save your commentary and opinions for the Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate forum.

Thank you for understanding,

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old May 23, 2022, 6:27 pm

Programs: NEXUS
Originally Posted by TWA884
It was reported in the Nexus Renewal Information and Processing Timelines thread that the CBSA emailed conditionally approved applicants that if they receive notices that their applications had been cancelled, they should email the CBSA to have them reinstated.
Thank you. I appreciate this.
Old Jun 8, 2022, 10:17 am

Programs: EY
Originally Posted by TWA884
Do you know if this applies to first time applicants as well? I know someone who was approved during the pandemic but never scheduled their appointment, and now has their application canceled.
Old Jun 8, 2022, 4:16 pm

Programs: EY
Didn't want to start a new thread for this, but it does apply to factual information regarding NEXUS (as well as other trusted traveler programs), so I hope the mods will allow me.

The recent article about the 295k backlog got me interested in digging into the program, so I did a bit of research and will summarize what I found based on recent articles and government announcements/posts. I'll use mostly 2019 and 2021 figures. It's not an exact science, but hopefully you'll get the idea. Happy to discuss in more detail if anyone wants.

TSA Precheck members (separate from CBP's TTP programs) = 15 million

Current CBP TTP Program members (Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI, FAST)
Total 10 million
Global Entry 8 million
NEXUS 1.8 million
SENTRI 0.55 million
FAST North 60k
FAST South 53k

NEXUS is made up of 75% Canadians, 20% Americans, and 5% PRs. 70% of card holders live in BC or Ontario. The average NEXUS member made 3.5 crossings per year, compared to 58 for the average SENTRI member (lots of cross-border communities/workers/students along the southern border). The comparable rate for GE was 1.7, and 11 for FAST.

NEXUS has 520k applications per year, compared to 2.2 million for Global Entry, both with around 40% of applications being renewals, with a 99% approval rate. Approximately 7,400 applications submitted to the TTP portal every day.

Global Entry was made up of 94% US Citizens, 3% PRs, and 3% foreign citizens.

FAST membership and applications have actually been declining year on year.

Sources:

CBP Surpasses 10 Million TTP Members
https://www.cbp.gov/newsroom/nationa...tent_entity=en

No date given to reopen Canadian NEXUS centers
https://www.thenorthernlight.com/sto...-centers,19781

Nearly 300,000 Canadians waiting for Nexus approval as backlog grows
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/nex...emic-1.6471521

Congressional Research Service Report on Trusted Traveler Programs from May 2021
https://crsreports.congress.gov/prod...rodcode=R46783
Rare, Xyzzy and bostonoski like this.
Old Jun 17, 2022, 2:40 pm

I have a NEXUS interview scheduled for Monday June 20th. I'm confused though because it's a federal holiday and I would've assumed they're closed. It's too late to call them (they close at 4). Is it possible that the system would allow a booking when they aren't three?
Old Jun 17, 2022, 2:55 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by msp123
I have a NEXUS interview scheduled for Monday June 20th. I'm confused though because it's a federal holiday and I would've assumed they're closed. It's too late to call them (they close at 4). Is it possible that the system would allow a booking when they aren't three?
Try calling an office on the West Coast?
msp123 likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2022, 3:51 pm

Good point there. I actually realized Niagara is open until 7 so called and they confirmed they're on, they're only closed New Year's etc. Weird, because the recorded messages say they're closed on all federal holidays, go figure.
seawolf likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2022, 8:47 am

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
Do I need to tell NEXUS (in person) about a non-USA/CAN passport? It does not affect my eligibility to enter the US or Canada.

(I also don't live in the US or Canada)
Old Jun 18, 2022, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by shuuy
Do I need to tell NEXUS (in person) about a non-USA/CAN passport? It does not affect my eligibility to enter the US or Canada.

(I also don't live in the US or Canada)
First interview: US side asked nothing about additional citizenship, Canadian side did, but I hadn't brought it because I didn't think it ws relevant (all pre-interview stuff was about proving Canadian residency/identity). They allowed me to update after the fact.

Second interview (renewal): brought it with me, at end of interview no one had said anything about it, so I volunteered it to update files and got "ok, if you want us to".

So YMMV. Heck MMMV.
shuuy likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.