Old Sep 4, 2019, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seawolf
Messages posted in the The NEXUS Information Thread between 2007 and 2019 were moved to the:

Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread

Welcome to the Travel Safety/Security Trusted Travelers Forum Nexus Information Wiki! This resource will appear at the top of every page within this thread to help users learn more about this program.

About NEXUS

NEXUS is designed to expedite the border clearance process for low-risk, pre-approved travellers into Canada and the United States.

The Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA) and U.S. Customs & Border Patrol (CBP) are cooperating in this joint venture to simplify border crossing for members while enhancing security.

Program benefits

If you are approved to participate in NEXUS, you will receive a membership identification card to use when entering Canada or the United States at all designated NEXUS air, land and marine ports of entry.

Membership will enable airline passengers to save time by:
  • using automated self-serve kiosks in dedicated areas at designated international airports;
  • using NEXUS/SENTRI lanes at land crossings when/where available. NEXUS lanes entering Canada will likely have a constant red traffic signal. This is to discourage non-NEXUS members from using the lane. Canada-bound NEXUS land crossing operating hours. All occupants must have NEXUS cards when using NEXUS lane entering Canada. At some locations, the NEXUS lane, the inspection booth is not staffed but there should be a call button. When entering US in a NEXUS/SENTRI lane, all occupants must carry either NEXUS, Global Entry, or SENTRI cards (or any combination thereof). Notable exception is Whirlpool Bridge which requires a NEXUS card to open the toll gate on the Canadian side to cross to the US.
  • using the Trusted Traveller Canadian Air Transport Security Authority (CATSA) Security Line at major and select medium-sized Canadian airports to expedite airport pre boarding security screening. For detailed information, please visit the CATSA Web site.

Join NEXUS

Here are the steps for becoming a member. There is a non-refundable processing fee of CAN$50 or US$50 per applicant for a five-year membership card.

About NEXUS
How to apply
Enrolment process

Key points about the program as found by forum members:
  • NEXUS cardholders must advise of ANY changes to their vital information such as passport numbers/validity, visa status, legal names, primary residence, criminal convictions, and employment if it impacts your eligibility in the program.
  • It's normal to find the first in-person NEXUS interview to be months into the future, but a little patience and regular checks on the TTP website almost always yields an interview date much sooner.
  • Each person who wants to participate in the NEXUS program must fill out a separate application form. There is no fee for applicants under the age of 18.
  • If traveling with non-NEXUS family members NEXUS cardholders are required to use the regular customs lines.
  • There is a zero tolerance policy and membership can be terminated for infractions including not having your NEXUS card on you and using the NEXUS lane and not declaring items on your customs declaration card, though members have reported some leniency being granted for such infractions in the past.
  • Private companies may offer services for submitting your application and charge an additional processing fee but these extra charges are not part of the official NEXUS application fee. Expedited services offered by such companies will not assist in speeding up the application process.

Updating Passport with Canada for NEXUS

As per CBSA website, updates to passport information can be handled on TTP.
Please note that NEXUS members are not required to report to an Enrolment Centre to update or change their passport information with the CBSA.
This is supported by data points in post 11122 and 11132 and 223 (Flyer given at NEXUS interview confirming document updates to be made online; report to enrollment centre if unable to change online. - DEC 2021).

Some FT members don't trust instructions provided by CBSA and recommend the following:
Call the Canadian Processing Centre with responsibility for residents of the United States:
  • 800-842-7647 --- Monday to Friday, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm (Eastern Time)

After going through the phone tree to reach a Nexus representative, advise them that you need to update your US passport with Canada.

The representative will give you an email address and instructions to scan your updated passport picture page (include your trusted traveler number on the scan) and then email it to a particular email address. I was advised to put the representative's name in the email message so that he could process the update on the Canadian side. He confirmed that any passport update in TTP does not reach Canada. NOTE: FT members have been able to enter Canada without any issues by updating passport online only.

He specifically requested that only the telephone number be posted (and not the email address).

In case the telephone number doesn't work, here's the webpage where the phone number is posted: Canada Border Services Agency - NEXUS - General Information
Note:

US citizens/residents who have both Global Entry and NEXUS cards and who renew the Global Entry membership whilst their NEXUS card is active, will not be able to renew the NEXUS card until after it expires. The option to do so disappears from the TTP website.
Dear mxzblftspk,

Your NEXUS membership is not set to expire until July 11 2016.

As an approved NEXUS member, you added Global Entry for an additional $100. When you completed your Global Entry application, you received a Global Entry card. When you activated the Global Entry Card, your NEXUS Card was deactivated and the option to renew NEXUS was removed from your account.

If you wish to renew NEXUS, you will have to wait for your NEXUS membership to expire. Once it expires, you will have the option within your TTP online account to renew NEXUS. After you follow all of the steps to become a NEXUS member again, including the completion of an interview at a NEXUS Enrollment Center near the Canadian border, you will receive a new NEXUS card and will have Global Entry benefits at no additional cost.

When your Global Entry account expires 5 years after your application, do not renew it. Global Entry benefits are included with your NEXUS membership.

It is our goal to provide you the best information we have in response to your question. If you follow the information provided in our response, and still need assistance, please reply to this email and we will investigate how we may further assist you.

Thank you again for contacting the CBP INFO Center.

Sincerely,

CBP INFO Center

Print Wikipost

The NEXUS Information Thread

Old Nov 14, 2021, 1:39 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by punk
I have Nexus for few years now but I've moved to US. I was considering applying for GE . What should be the best option

#1- Just inform Nexus that I've moved to US and they can update the info?
#2 - Apply for GE separately and let the Nexus expire ?
#3 - Apply for GE and cancel Nexus as I get it ?

Thanks
For #1, yes, residency is a qualification factor for Nexus, so changes in residence need to be reported to Nexus.

Nexus includes all GE privileges, plus of course the entering Canada privileges. As a now US resident, if you ever travel to Canada, Nexus remains beneficial. If you never expect to travel to Canada, then Nexus only has the benefit of being less expensive than GE.

Re your #2 and #3, be aware that as a current Nexus holder, your Nexus membership is automatically cancelled if you apply and are approved for GE (and visa versa - an existing GE membership will be cancelled if one applied and was accepted for Nexus). A single individual can only hold either Nexus or GE, but not both at the same time. An approved application for one cancels the other. Since Nexus INCLUDES GE, a single individual does not need to hold both Nexus and GE.
Xyzzy, TWA884 and bostonoski like this.
Old Nov 14, 2021, 6:47 pm

I have Nexus for few years now but I've moved to US. I was considering applying for GE . What should be the best option

#1- Just inform Nexus that I've moved to US and they can update the info?
#2 - Apply for GE separately and let the Nexus expire ?
#3 - Apply for GE and cancel Nexus as I get it ?

Thanks
Just keep it simple.....just update your NEXUS account with the US address and immigration status.
AFAIK NEXUS includes all of the Global Entry benefits for half the price.
bostonoski likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2021, 7:12 am

Programs: AA: Exec Plat; AC: 75K; JX: Explorer; HH: Dia; Bonvoy: Gold; Wyndham: Dia
In-person interview availability starting to show at other US locations.
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2021, 7:29 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ramcm7
In-person interview availability starting to show at other US locations.
Thanks.

Looks like Soonest available appt option does not work. You have to click individual locations. Only Niagara Falls (Whirlpool Bridge) and Detroit are showing some slots. Niagara Falls is "new." This location hasn't appear for the past year.
FriendlySkies likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2021, 9:09 am

This is good news that hopefully some stuff will start improving it’s just sad that it’s on the East Coast and only Detroit a Niagara Falls. Now will have to go back to checking daily to see if stuff open up.

thanks for the update
Old Nov 15, 2021, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by seawolf
Thanks.

Looks like Soonest available appt option does not work. You have to click individual locations. Only Niagara Falls (Whirlpool Bridge) and Detroit are showing some slots. Niagara Falls is "new." This location hasn't appear for the past year.
Thanks! Managed to book a renewal at the Niagara Falls location on a Friday afternoon. While I would prefer to do it at an airport location, this is much preferred to waiting another several months.
seawolf and wxguy like this.
Old Nov 15, 2021, 1:13 pm

Nexus appointments are now showing for US Locations - Blaine, WA for Nov 29 2021. Scheduled for me and my family who have been waiting for many months with conditional approval (First time)
seawolf and GVA like this.
Old Nov 15, 2021, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by global happy traveller
Just keep it simple.....just update your NEXUS account with the US address and immigration status.
AFAIK NEXUS includes all of the Global Entry benefits for half the price.
I have updated my US address & driving license as well - Thanks for the tip . Should've done earlier. I am now a Canadian Citizen so it doesn't allow me to update the passport info from country of my birth. I think I've to visit a border to get it done and never came across a chance to be at the border during this time + couldn't find appointments.

Originally Posted by mnbp
For #1, yes, residency is a qualification factor for Nexus, so changes in residence need to be reported to Nexus.

Nexus includes all GE privileges, plus of course the entering Canada privileges. As a now US resident, if you ever travel to Canada, Nexus remains beneficial. If you never expect to travel to Canada, then Nexus only has the benefit of being less expensive than GE.

Re your #2 and #3, be aware that as a current Nexus holder, your Nexus membership is automatically cancelled if you apply and are approved for GE (and visa versa - an existing GE membership will be cancelled if one applied and was accepted for Nexus). A single individual can only hold either Nexus or GE, but not both at the same time. An approved application for one cancels the other. Since Nexus INCLUDES GE, a single individual does not need to hold both Nexus and GE.
I was a Canadian Resident and now American so have updated both of them. My only concern is that they don't have my Canadian passport info and I don't want to be flagged for not updating my info on time. Rather than flying to border, I thought it'll be cheaper to get GE
Old Nov 15, 2021, 1:53 pm

Its Official now twitter.com/CBP/status/1460345646020501505

U.S. NEXUS/FAST Enrollment Centers to Re-Open November 29

Release Date:
November 15, 2021Washington, D.C. — U.S. Customs and Border Protection is pleased to announce that the NEXUS and U.S./Canada FAST enrollment centers in the United States will reopen on November 29, 2021. It should be noted, however, that the NEXUS and FAST enrollment centers in Canada will continue to be closed until further notice.

Starting today, conditionally approved applicants may schedule interviews at available NEXUS and U.S./Canada FAST enrollment centers in the United States. Appointments must be booked through the Trusted Traveler portal: and will have dates available starting November 29.

Applicants entering the U.S. to complete their interview must meet all applicable travel requirements:

CBP asks all applicants to be patient with the system as there is large backlog of applications to be processed by a limited number of open enrollment centers. In order to prioritize new applicants needing interviews, CBP is asking existing NEXUS and FAST members to refrain from booking an appointment at this time. However, existing members are encouraged to renew their membership before their expiry date on their cards to maintain their membership privileges until able to complete their interviews at a later time.

NEXUS is a program run jointly between the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) and Customs and Border Protection. It is designed to speed up border crossings for low-risk, pre-approved travelers into Canada and the United States. FAST is a joint program between the CBSA and CBP that enhances border and trade security while making cross-border commercial shipments simpler and subject to fewer delays.

Interested travelers can apply through the Trusted Traveler Programs website. The non-refundable application fee for a five-year FAST membership is $50 and applications must be submitted online. Once the applicant successfully passes a background check, a CBP officer will conduct an interview with the applicant at select locations in the U.S. to make a final eligibility determination.

U.S. Customs and Border Protection is the unified border agency within the Department of Homeland Security charged with the management, control and protection of our nation's borders at and between official ports of entry. CBP is charged with securing the borders of the United States while enforcing hundreds of laws and facilitating lawful trade and travel.

Last modified:
November 15, 2021
seawolf and FriendlySkies like this.
Old Nov 15, 2021, 4:03 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by strongbull1
Nexus appointments are now showing for US Locations - Blaine, WA for Nov 29 2021. Scheduled for me and my family who have been waiting for many months with conditional approval (First time)
Additional US land border locations added. Champlain, Derby Lane, Maine, Michigan.

Some of them have appointments tomorrow. WARNING. "Confirmation" indicate
*****The U.S. and Canada have announced NEXUS and U.S./Canada FAST interviews will resume on November 29, 2021. DO NOT schedule your NEXUS or FAST appointment before November 29***** Must bring to Interview original Birth Certificate or passport, Drivers License and vehicle registrations.

Last edited by seawolf; Nov 15, 2021 at 4:17 pm
Old Nov 15, 2021, 4:11 pm

Programs: AS: 75K; DL/NW: Plat; DL SC: Lifetime; Hyatt: Diamond; HH: Gold; SPG: Plat;
Originally Posted by strongbull1
That was fast - Blaine now gone, not showing as an eligible / available location...
Old Nov 15, 2021, 4:55 pm

Wow before Blane was there and not displaying at all. Was able to book our fifth appointment and past 4 we’re canceled hope this one still goes through
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2021, 11:39 am

I got that deleted message in aug as that was my 24 months date but did not go and not deleted and have a appointment for me and family at Blane in early Dec
Old Nov 16, 2021, 12:09 pm

I have updated my US address & driving license as well - Thanks for the tip . Should've done earlier. I am now a Canadian Citizen so it doesn't allow me to update the passport info from country of my birth. I think I've to visit a border to get it done and never came across a chance to be at the border during this time + couldn't find appointments.

I was a Canadian Resident and now American so have updated both of them. My only concern is that they don't have my Canadian passport info and I don't want to be flagged for not updating my info on time. Rather than flying to border, I thought it'll be cheaper to get GE
When you cross the border (guess airport as well) to see the border agent, just let them know you want to update your info and that you couldn't do it online. They will either refer you to secondary or nearby office to update. Prepared this may be a 1.5 - 3 hour wait at the office.
Old Nov 16, 2021, 1:49 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by bostonbali
That was fast - Blaine now gone, not showing as an eligible / available location...
Just was able to book an appt for Blaine on 12/8. Plenty of availability throughout Dec, though when I first logged in it wasn't showing as an available location. Went to remote, then back into the in-person, and Blaine popped back up again.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.