Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Known Traveler Number decode

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2018, 2:29 pm
Original Poster

Are all KTN's supposed to begin with 98 or 99?

I am a new member to Global Entry as of this week. Upon reaching out to both Delta and Southwest to add my new KTN to my reservations, both told me that my KTN number which begins with 15 was inaccurate. They said this number needs to begin with a 98 or 99. Is that true? Does anyone else's Pass ID begin with 15 or am I the exception? I have double checked my pass ID on the website and it is right. Any insight would be appreciated Thank you!

Madison
Old Aug 2, 2018, 4:31 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by hurleymlh
I am a new member to Global Entry as of this week. Upon reaching out to both Delta and Southwest to add my new KTN to my reservations, both told me that my KTN number which begins with 15 was inaccurate. They said this number needs to begin with a 98 or 99. Is that true? Does anyone else's Pass ID begin with 15 or am I the exception? I have double checked my pass ID on the website and it is right. Any insight would be appreciated Thank you!

Madison
The KTN's of everyone in my immediate family start with 98.

Are you sure that you are looking at the Pass ID field on the back of the card? The KTN is the number on the left side of the card, not the right.

Please note that the number in the KTN field in the example is not valid.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 5:00 pm
Original Poster

yes I confirmed my number on my card as well as the website. My fiancé number also begins with 15
Old Aug 2, 2018, 11:14 pm

yes I confirmed my number on my card as well as the website. My fiancé number also begins with 15
Is either you or your fiance a member of the armed forces?
Old Aug 3, 2018, 7:09 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply. Neither of us are in the armed forces or have any type of unique circumstances.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 5:56 am

You are good

I just received my KTN for global entry a week ago and mine starts with a 15. The lady at southwest didn’t think it would work, but when she put in my number she said it worked and it printed out on my boarding pass. So you should be good to go.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 2:16 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
98 at the start is the most common for the number to be entered into the KTN field.
99 is the second most common.

Those two sets of starting two-digit starting numbers aren't the only sets of two-digit starting numbers applicable for KTN fields by holders of paid TTP membership.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 10:08 am

Programs: AA CK EXP 3MM, National EE, Hertz Plat

Madison
I finally signed up. I too begin with a 15. The first time I updated my reservation I did not receive pre check, after almost always receiving with my pre only TT. I will see what happens when I check in tomorrow.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 3:06 pm

Programs: Delta KM/PM/MM, Nexus, CLEAR, Sharriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by JSSAUCE
I finally signed up. I too begin with a 15. The first time I updated my reservation I did not receive pre check, after almost always receiving with my pre only TT. I will see what happens when I check in tomorrow.
My experience exactly (via Nexus), except I then missed Pre both directions. We'll see what happens next week.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 9:58 pm

Programs: AA CK EXP 3MM, National EE, Hertz Plat
Originally Posted by AKC6
My experience exactly (via Nexus), except I then missed Pre both directions. We'll see what happens next week.
I had to call the TSA service line and surprisingly they were very helpful. I had to speak with two people and the escalation group emailed me back within 24 hours. The Global Entry TT number actually takes 72 hours to fully activate and match up in the secure flight database. Sure enough my flights started getting Precheck after the 72 hour period.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 11:52 am

No. One I have through NEXUS begins with 98, one I have through my employer begins with 12.
Old Jul 28, 2019, 9:45 am

Known Traveler Number decode

Hi guys I just got GE conditional approved and the KTN is ending wih 000. Out of curiosity what's your ennding number? This seems too rounded up where I expect a more regular digits like in passport.

Also anyone know why some begin with 15, 98 or 99?
Old Jul 28, 2019, 10:02 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by kithytom
Hi guys I just got GE conditional approved and the KTN is ending wih 000. Out of curiosity what's your ennding number? This seems too rounded up where I expect a more regular digits like in passport.

Also anyone know why some begin with 15, 98 or 99?
I’m enrolled in Global Entry so my KTN for PreCheck purposes is my GE PassID number. I’m not going to post my PassID ending numbers other than to say they are numbers though not “000”. Not sure about the other programs but TSA PreCheck only program generates a number starting with 15. GE PassID, which are used like a PreCheck KTN, start with 98 or 99.
Old Jul 28, 2019, 11:06 am

Programs: BAEC | qantas | IHG | Hilton Honors | Priority Pass | Nandos
Originally Posted by kithytom
Because you are one in a thousand?
Originally Posted by Randyk47
Not sure about the other programs but TSA PreCheck only program generates a number starting with 15. GE PassID, which are used like a PreCheck KTN, start with 98 or 99.
Not always. My 'Global Entry program Membership' number begins with 15.
Old Jul 28, 2019, 11:17 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by peter h
Because you are one in a thousand?

Not always. My 'Global Entry program Membership' number begins with 15.
Thanks. I thought that 15 was used only by TSA PreCheck stand-alone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.